Game Thread Group 2 - Ch2 - The Right Path - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Other Roleplaying Games > Forbidden Lands
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 10:33 PM
Palliven's Avatar
Palliven Palliven is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 4th, 2023
RPXP: 2047
Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven
Posts: 1,358
right-aligned image


Dawn was still some time away when Ravgor woke. He couldn’t remember the last time he had slept in past sunrise, even in the depths of the mountains he would already be awake by the time morning sun made its way down the light channels that led up to the surface.

Cracking his neck as he sat up, his back popping on its own accord, the first thought he had was for breakfast. Stepping out into the cool, dark morning he picked up his pack from where he had set it the night before. Since the large tent he had stolen filled up most of the pack, he kept his other items in canvas sacks and leather bags tied to the loops and straps of the backpack.

DAMN IT!

The ragged hole torn in the bottom of his food back meant he wasn’t having breakfast. It must have caught on something and ripped during the storm. If he was going to eat today he was going to have to spend some time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palliven View Post
Dice * Forage (Wits 5 minus 2 die due to terrain):
3d6smch6 3 ✘, 5 ✘, 6 ✔ (1/3) 1⇑ 0⇓ Total = 14
looking for mushrooms or roots on the mountain side.

Quote:
"How much further do we have to go, anyway? How much ground could a halfling make, anyway? We should've asked if he was an indoors halfling or if he just loved to hike all the time on his own."
Grumbling in hunger he almost didn’t Aelys or the distant moaning sound.

“Can’t say for sure but that sound,” he snarled. “That’s the Moaning Caves. Wish I would have heard it during the storm. Saved me almost losing my tent. If he ran into the things we have he may have tried to hide there."

”OOC Notes”
Actions: Will spend quarter day Foraging.
Damage: None
Willpower: 6
Consumables: Food : Depleted Water: D8

 
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 10:58 PM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 5th, 2023
RPXP: 5561
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 1,594
OOCRavgor: Wise move there! Running out of food isn't fun. You now have 1 unit of Veg or Fungus to eat (must be consumed within one day so I'm assuming you'll eat it right away).

Aelys: You might as well forage for water this quarter then, if you want. If you find some, then everyone gets topped up to D12 for it.

Greyland: I rolled for you. You have food to eat, no problems, but you also need water! You can help Aelys forage for it if you like, which gives her an extra D6. Up to you folks

Once we've sorted out your meal plan haha, I'll get us into the Day Quarter

Also for Aelys and Greyland, the mountain terrain imposes a -2 on the roll... which means 2 less skill dice than usual. Your ability and gear dice aren't effected by it.
__________________

Last edited by 97mg; Mar 15th, 2023 at 10:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Mar 25th, 2023, 11:11 AM
Aegis's Avatar
Aegis Aegis is offline
Player Four has Entered
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 20th, 2023
RPXP: 1432
Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis
Posts: 718
OocSorry about the wait guys. Had some computer problems.

I rolled a 3 to gel forage.


Greylandwith the day breaking, Grey walks out with Aelys to help forage.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 09:00 PM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 5th, 2023
RPXP: 5561
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 1,594
Year 1165 - Springrise (early spring season) - Morning Quarter, Day Three

Weather: Clear

A Thirst for AdventureHaving suffered quite some misfortunes on their first day upon the Path of Bone, the team of explorers were right to wonder what this new morning might bring. Already, it seemed the difficult climb and need for sustenance had put a dent in their supplies. Water. What a fate it was to have rain pour upon them just the night before, yet now find so many of their waterskins either prone to leaking, or simply sipped upon too often. As it stood, only Ravgor had that comforting sloshy sound within his receptacle for liquids...

Greyland and Aelys's lips were dry, and though they did their very best to find a small pool between jagged rocks, or even collect some moisture off the tent's canopy, their thirst could not be quenched. Perhaps... they both might look to the dwarf... longingly...
OOCOk team, decision time! Either Rav can let the other two drink from his skin, and roll the resource dice each, (D8), or they will proceed as THIRSTY.

Once this is decided, I'll post for the Day Quarter for you all
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 05:52 AM
smeowlin's Avatar
smeowlin smeowlin is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 1695
smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin
Posts: 598
The Journey
right-aligned image

Initially during the day, Aelys tried to hide her glances towards her dwarven companion's waterskin. After her failed attempt along with the minstrel to find any other source of water, she grew increasingly thirsty at a pace she wasn't quite used to thanks to their constant trudging through the Path of Bone.

The thief considered simply trying to take it from him, but she decided that perhaps stealing from her companion wouldn't be the best course of action, especially when said companion could leave her just about completely lost. She licked her lips and openly stared at Ravgor the next time he stopped to take a drink from his waterskin. She wasn't sure whether or not he noticed her pathetic display, but she finally decided she would have to swallow her pride.

Her voice was a little hoarse, though she may have decided to exaggerate slightly as she spoke with a soft smile. "I couldn't help but notice that you were far more prepared than either of us, Ravgor. I had foolishly assumed we would be able to fill up our waterskins easily at various rivers and streams. Would you be so kind as to spare a drink for your traveling companions?"

She didn't want to kiss his ass too much, but she also didn't want to come across as rude or demanding. Just pitiful enough to where he might scold the two of them at worst.


 
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 08:36 PM
Palliven's Avatar
Palliven Palliven is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 4th, 2023
RPXP: 2047
Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven
Posts: 1,358
right-aligned image


Ravgor looked at Aelys blankly for a long minute as she asked for a drink from his waterskin. Uncorking the deerskin bag and taking a short swig of water, his eyes never left hers.

Good enough to make the point I guess. AS low as my rations are I’ll be the one asking soon enough. No sense making it worse than it needs to be.

With a short grunt, he handed the half full bag to her.

“Just a bit and some for Grey too. Best keep an eye out for some water puddled in the shallow of a rock or under some brush. Not likely to cross any rivers for a while.”

”OOC Notes”
Actions: Will spend quarter day Foraging.
Damage: None
Willpower: 6
Consumables: Food : Depleted Water: D8

 
__________________
GM running Heroes of New Liberty in Mutants & Masterminds
Currently playing : Forbidden Lands , Cyberpunk Red
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old Apr 4th, 2023, 07:35 PM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 5th, 2023
RPXP: 5561
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 1,594
Year 1165 - Springrise (early spring season) - Day Quarter, Day Three

Weather: Clear

A Waterskin that WorksGreyland and Aelys managed to show quite some restraint with Ravgor's waterskin. There was no guzzling it down or big deep gulpy sounds from their throats. Just a few sips. Enough to get through the day. As the receptacle was returned to the dwarf, he was probably happy that the skin still made sloshy noises from within!

Soon enough, their camp was packed away and the tent was re-folded and neatly tucked into Ravgor's heavy pack of equipment. With weather clear, and keen to continue their search for the missing Halfling, the group continued their journey. The unusual moaning sound that came in on the gentle breeze seemed to get louder and louder as they walked.

Coming to the summit of one of the lower peaks, the group spied something. A few patches of dry grass growing from a mound of boulders which concealed a dark hole, large enough to climb down into. Out of that mouth in the earth, guttural and dragging sounds emerged, as if a host of dead were begging mercy of the Gods. The wind carried that unmistakable odor of decayed bodies and freshly moistened rock. Within the hole, the walls looked smooth and seemed to descend at a steep, but not completely vertical angle...
OOCWelcome to an adventure site! If you choose to enter, we don't need to make journeying rolls or worry about quarters of the day for a while. Naturally, you are welcome to ignore this adventure site and keep journeying if you wish. If so, I just need to know which hex you want to enter and do the usual rolls for leading the way etc.
__________________

Last edited by 97mg; Apr 4th, 2023 at 07:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old Apr 7th, 2023, 04:03 AM
smeowlin's Avatar
smeowlin smeowlin is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 1695
smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin
Posts: 598
The Journey
right-aligned image

The half-elf didn't need much time to make her thoughts on the terrifying hole known to her companions. Any of the usual sarcasm or mirth she tended to speak with was absent. "We need to get away from whatever in the Hells is in there. I don't like the sound, I don't like the smell, and if that halfling is in there, they can keep the silver. Let's keep moving."

With no hesitation and without waiting to hear what the others might say about it, Aelys started walking away with a renewed haste to her step, continuing in the direction they were headed before discovering the horrific hole. There was no part of her that was curious to find out what was inside.


 
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old Apr 7th, 2023, 07:35 AM
Palliven's Avatar
Palliven Palliven is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 4th, 2023
RPXP: 2047
Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven
Posts: 1,358
Quote:
With no hesitation and without waiting to hear what the others might say about it, Aelys started walking away with a renewed haste to her step, continuing in the direction they were headed before discovering the horrific hole. There was no part of her that was curious to find out what was inside.
right-aligned image


The sounds of the cave were horrific but Ravgor was sure that they could be due to the twists and turns of naturally formed tunnels and chambers just as much as they could be the tormented dead that it sounded like. Pretty sure.

“Hold, not too fast. We haven’t see sign of our quarry yet but that doesn’t mean he didn’t make his way here. If a storm passed like the one weathered, he’d need shelter. Before we run off I will speak to the mountain. If it feels generous today it may tell me what we seek to know.”

Setting his pack down, he began to strip off his gear and clothing. He kept only his flute in hand as he sat on the ground facing the mouth of the cave and some two hundred feet away from it, he crossed his legs and began to chant, a deep rumbling from his throat. After several minutes of this he began playing a slow, dirge of a tune on his flute. It had the feel of the slow, steady drip of water from the tip of a stalactite into a stagnant pool of cold, underground water.

”OOC Notes”
Actions: Will cast Voice of the Mountain. Want to know if halfling was here and what is the source of the moaning in caves.
 

Damage: None
Willpower: 6
Consumables: Food : Depleted Water: D8


 

Last edited by Palliven; Apr 7th, 2023 at 07:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 06:31 AM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 5th, 2023
RPXP: 5561
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 1,594

Lips of RockAs unusual, confronting and unforseen as Ravgor's actions were, there was a definite air of weight, peace, and trust in his display. Whatever was going on, the dwarf was comfortable with it, found it necessary, and intended to see the strange ritual through. As though one with the very stone his arse rested upon, the man's face even began to look as wisened and hard as the surrounding landscape.

Any hope that this shift into a meditative state, or religious practice, would be short-lived, was soon lost. The dwarf's questions to the rock, stone and sky, needed time. A lot of time. One might argue that the passing of hours, or even whole days, meant little to a mountain range that must have sat here stoically since the beginnings of time.

Ravgor had his questions, and by the time evening came, he would have his answers. The other question, was what would Aelys and Greyland do with the remains of the day...
OOCAwesome idea Palliven! Yes you can cast this safely, it just costs 2 willpower points, and takes the day quarter to complete.

smeowlin, assuming you're happy to let Rav take the day quarter to do this handy ritual, that means that you are free to explore, forage, hunt, keep watch etc whilst you wait. Let me know what you'd like to do and make some rolls at your leisure

Aegis, still with us buddy?

__________________

Last edited by 97mg; Apr 9th, 2023 at 06:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 12:03 PM
smeowlin's Avatar
smeowlin smeowlin is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 1695
smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin
Posts: 598
The Journey
right-aligned image

Aelys considered arguing, but knew she didn't exactly have any leverage to make the dwarf do as she wanted. She didn't exactly have much time to think up a way to convince him before he started to strip, and the half-elf didn't want to stick around to watch.

She let out an exagerrated groan before speaking up. "Fine, but if some horrible monstrosity comes crawling out of there, you're on your own. I'm going to go find some water."

The thief hated how uneasy the cave made her feel, but she did bring along the dwarf for a reason. She could only hope that he would find there was nothing worth exploring the cave for, and they could be on their way.


 
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old Apr 12th, 2023, 08:31 PM
Palliven's Avatar
Palliven Palliven is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 4th, 2023
RPXP: 2047
Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven
Posts: 1,358
Quote:
She let out an exagerrated groan before speaking up. "Fine, but if some horrible monstrosity comes crawling out of there, you're on your own. I'm going to go find some water."
right-aligned image


Opening one wizened eye to peer at the brash elf, he continued playing the somber tones of longing and timeliness on his flute. His song was long. The mountain was in no hurry and would not be rushed. Unwilling to stop, he simply closed his eye and continued to play.

”OOC Notes”
Actions: Will cast Voice of the Mountain. Want to know if halfling was here and what is the source of the moaning in caves. In terms of the mechanics, here is my understanding, if wrong please correct me. Will cast at Power Level 2 (can tell me events up to 1 year back in time) so can Safe Cast it. Reduce dice needed by 4 (Wits 6 – PL 2) so what I would need to roll for possible mishaps is below 0. Therefore, no need to roll for possible mishap, spell simply works as intended.
Damage: None
Willpower: 6
Consumables: Food : Depleted Water: D8

 
__________________
GM running Heroes of New Liberty in Mutants & Masterminds
Currently playing : Forbidden Lands , Cyberpunk Red

Last edited by Palliven; Apr 12th, 2023 at 08:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old Apr 14th, 2023, 01:46 AM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 5th, 2023
RPXP: 5561
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 1,594
Year 1165 - Springrise (early spring season) - Evening Quarter, Day Three

Weather: Clear

A Mountain's Dry LipsPerhaps it was some kind of blessing that this day would soon be done, as by the time Ravgor looked like his strange ritual was coming to a conclusion, and Aelys had searched the extent of the vicinity within eyeshot, the heavens were beginning to darken. There had been both boons and curses this day, all accompanied by the strange moanings and macabre accompaniments offered by "the hole". The mountains could give, just as easily as they could take.

Water. A resource so plentiful in their home's river, and so prone to soak these peaks. How frustrating to find it to be so evasive and unobtainable once at height! In any normal environment, Aelys could be sure that her methods of searching and locating life's most important of liquids would have been successful. Up here though, on this particular day, it was like the very slopes and stones themselves refused to cooperate. Whatever water might have been here, was long gone. Pulled down the mountain's slopes by gravity, or perhaps... as she might rightly wonder... falling into some kind of caverns and tunnels below. There was a hole here after all. What if the ground below was full of cavities like Dorana's cheese, or little Jembo's teeth?

The dwarf's experience was probably a far more satisfying one. To the outside eyes it might have looked like he was just meditating to his music, or chilling out, in denial of the very real and dangerous predicaments the explorers found themselves in. One waterskin for the lot of them. A landscape that was frequented by Harpies, and who knew what else! In his strange trance, Ravgor was focused on more important things. The truths of the ground he sat upon. He sought the Voice of the Mountain, and slowly and deliberately it had answered.

left-aligned image
"Your steps upon me I have felt before, and those too of your ancestors, small one. I have witnessed of your respect and admiration for that which stands tall, to shade and protect you, whilst challenging and daring your kind just the same. A year is such a short and fleeting space of time. What is a year to a mountain? It is nothing! I have seen the walkers upon me both come and go, thrive and be spilled of blood, but this past year my guests have been few. You seek... a small one, yet not your kin. I tell you that I felt the steps of hairy feet upon me not so very long ago. He is within me now, devoid of sky and near my heart. But... he is no mountain's man. His fate is yet to be decided. It falls upon you, it seems, to fall too. Fall into the mouth beside you, if you dare. Of this, you would be welcome. Far more welcome than the Orcs who littered my inner sanctums with that they caused to perish, so very long ago. Eternal life, comes with a cost, and though I am not eternal, I have seen enough years to know when a deal is ill made."
__________________

Last edited by 97mg; Apr 14th, 2023 at 01:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old Apr 14th, 2023, 08:21 AM
smeowlin's Avatar
smeowlin smeowlin is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 1695
smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin smeowlin
Posts: 598
The Journey
right-aligned image

The half-elf returned empty handed and more frustrated than before. At the very least, Aelys took some small comfort in her companions not being dead or vanished before the hole. Either that meant whatever was in there wasn't out to get them, or that it couldn't leave its hole. Or perhaps the sounds were simply some trick played by air hitting the rocks in a peculiar way. She kept a distance between them as she tried to gauge whether or not the dwarf had put his clothes back on without getting too much detail.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 03:27 PM
Palliven's Avatar
Palliven Palliven is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 4th, 2023
RPXP: 2047
Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven
Posts: 1,358
right-aligned image


Ravgor shook off the weight of the mountains words as a bear shakes off its winter sleep, slow and ponderously. Blinking his eyes against the sun as if they had been down in the darkness of the mountains bowels he stood up, legs stiff and back sore. An absent brush at the annoyance of the dirt and pebbles stuck against his skin sent the debris away but left behind red dents and divots between the hairs that covered much of his body, save his head. Water for his parched throat then clothing for his bare body.

With the essentials addressed he turned to his two companions.

“Today the mountain has decided to speak and for that I have given it our thanks. Not many have made their way this far along its paths and turns but it seems the one we seek has. He is in the hole – fallen, dragged or walked in willingly I do not know. He is likely not long for this world if we do not help him.” Making a last adjustment or two to his gear, Ravgor pulled his axe free from its loop. “There were orcs down there once. It has told me that there is worse down there now.”

He looks at both his companions, trying to read their faces at the news he has shared. They had both seemed eager to adventure when sitting with a mug of ale and a plate of food. Most were. How would they fare now when confronted with certain danger and a dark hole?

"Come friends. Surely you will join me in the darkness to find the one we seek."

”OOC Notes”
Actions: Making his way to the entrance of the hole as he talks, ready to enter.
Damage: None
Willpower: 6
Consumables: Food : Depleted Water: D8

 
__________________
GM running Heroes of New Liberty in Mutants & Masterminds
Currently playing : Forbidden Lands , Cyberpunk Red
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:02 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB