Game Thread Chapter 1: An Unusual Request - Page 10 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Traveller > [TRAVELER] In the Shadow of the Chthonian Star > Blackguard
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #136  
Old Apr 28th, 2023, 02:30 AM
The Rat Queen's Avatar
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen is online now
The Archfriend.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 3rd, 2024
RPXP: 28922
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Posts: 8,590
Meriel
right-aligned image
Meriel sighed as the situation descended into chaos. Chaos was a popular theme amongst bards; the freedom, the heroism, the thrill. This was none of those. This was the opposite of all that.

She walked to Kez and gently laid a hand upon her forearm. Not enough pressure to ruin her aim, but enough to indicate to lower her weapon. "Enough, Kez," she said gently, but without reproach. She didn't blame Kez. Normally, pointing an arrow at someone and telling them 'Stop' was enough to at least delay a situation. But this was Rik.

Moving on, she paused by Cirra. She honestly agreed with the woman, but things were escalating too far. Cirra was correct; if they didn't come together now, bad things would happen. They couldn't allow Rik to kill with impunity, but they also needed him, and couldn't afford to stoop to the level he could easily drop to. "You're right," she said. "We can't divide ourselves. But I think we all need to take a step back right now."

Approaching Rik, she observed him, wild, almost rabid, and furious. He was a wild animal, lashing out in fear and rage. Threats and blame would only fuel his fire. "Fine, Rik. I won't touch you. But Cirra's right, whatever you may think of her. We can't do this. We have goblin armies to deal with, and some kind of damned Oath to fulfil. The Peck isn't a warrior, and the fae is correct. He's shown bravery in his own way, even if he didn't fire a shot. We don't have time to waste on this bulls***, Rik. Let the Peck go, get your gear, and let's get out of here, before the giants and the spiders finish their battle and decide to focus on us. And in case you haven't noticed, one of the goblins managed to escape. It won't be long before more arrive...more than we could possibly handle."

Looking at the group, she added, "We've got to get out of here...now! We're taking the fae and the halfling with us..." Turning toward Dol'anna and Nemin, she said, "If they'll join us, which I strongly advise. We've got to get them to their destination, and we can't fight among ourselves while doing so, or we may as well have surrendered to the goblins." Offering Dol'anna the briefest of smiles, she said, "I don't hate you, little one. Nor do I hate the halfling. We'll get you to to safety, and I hope you'll understand our position at some point...why we're temporarily lost and flailing."

Looking back at Rik, she shrugged. "Your choice. We're going, and we're taking the little ones with us. Join us or take your chances with the Oath, the goblins, or whatever else you want to gamble on. But we need you, and whether you admit it or not, you need us."

Walking back over to her fallen weapons, she gathered her gear and glanced at the others. "Away from the giants, before they're done with the spiders. Let's go."

She began walking that direction.


Actions & RollsMovement:
Free Action:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Current effects: Unconscious at zero HP.

 

 
__________________
Can't think of anything clever, just got tired of updating all my active characters! ♥

Last edited by The Rat Queen; May 5th, 2023 at 02:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 03:32 PM
Drachenspirit's Avatar
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 3rd, 2024
RPXP: 33664
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Posts: 27,333
Cirra
left-aligned image
Cirra listened, moving impatiently as she kept glancing back towards where the Goblins fled and where the Giants and Spiders were fighting.

While Meriel spoke she retrieved the crossbow, loaded it, and slid a bolt into it and thumbed the simple slide that held it in place until one was ready to fire.

Holding that in one hand, she held the shortbow in the other for a bit until Meriel was done speaking.

She held out the short bow to Rikvarn and smiled. She wanted to ask if he could use it to fire arrows instead of throwing it like a stick, but it just wasn't the time. It wasn't time for the smile either, but she couldn't resist. She'd give him her quiver too that held the flight arrows for it if he took the bow.

If Rikvarn didn't take it, she'd slip it over her back and quickly say, "There's a way into the fort, like windows we can crawl through I spotted. Time for talk's over. I got point. Let's go!"

She took off at a run without looking back. Once she got to the opening she'd then look back and see whether or not Rikvarn was coming. With or without him, they had to go. She might admit it later, that she wanted him to stay with the group, but for now she wasn't about to give him the satisfaction lest she tell a joke and he'd try to choke her like he'd done the halfling. She wouldn't admit to that last part any time soon either.

 
__________________
Posting Status: Normal - If a post/reply is needed from me as either a player or a DM/GM that I have overlooked, please send me a PM.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old May 2nd, 2023, 01:04 AM
creed's Avatar
creed creed is offline
Novel writing fiend
Event Judge
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 3rd, 2024
RPXP: 16254
creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed creed
Posts: 4,446
Rikvarn Rosewound
right-aligned image


He had hoped that for once, they'd see what he was seeing. That this useless, cowardly peck was a liability. That he'd done nothing to aid them, and it had almost cost them yet another fighter in their rapidly diminishing ranks. He had no love for the Captain and his pet, but they were at least capable fighters, able to take care of themselves. And Meriel, who he'd begrudgingly admit was the least objectionable, had almost fallen. All to protect these weak, ungrateful, Pecks.

But predictably, his statement fell on deaf ears. They all took the cowards side. Even when there was evidence staring them right in the face, they took the cowards side. The mouse squeaked, the red haired one dismissed. Even the mouth spun a long tale involving some fool that had been cursed with marrying her. Going on how they'd rather have the Peck then him. He wondered if he had been wrong about this cowardly thing, and he loosen his grip slightly. He had no love for this lot. But to know that his blood, sweat, and lumps were for naught. That he would have been better off letting them get torn apart by those wargs. He was under no illusion he could take them out by himself, but he was starting to wonder if it made a difference.

Just as he debated just throwing the Peck into the sheer wall and hoping it had a headache, the Fae finally found her voice. And what a shrill one it was. He had heard the tales of the Fae being able to weave words to charm and beguile, but this one had no such skill. Or at least, none that it cared to use. Instead it lobbed accusations at them. How this snivelling coward was braver then those that had kept it from being torn apart by those greenskins. To say that when they had almost lost half their squad, he was convinced that their reputation was greatly exaggerated as to their intelligence. As he tossed her brave hero like a sack of potatoes, he heard the sound of a bowstring. He looked to his left, seeing the source of the sound.

It was a source that he never would have expected.

There, standing maybe thirty feet or so from him, was Kez. With bow drawn. And aimed directly at him. Like the rest, she railed about how he was wrong, how it was his fault. He heard that from this lot ever since he arrived, and he'd become used to being the scapegoat. Talked down too. Threatened. Scoffed at. All of those he'd received in abundance. But to have his life threatened, that was something new. "Oh I believe you, Kez.", he said, his voice almost disturbingly calm. "It seems you've found a way to finally express your true self.". He found himself thinking of how he would love to break that bow over her skull, and to his shock, found no resistance at the thought.

"And it seems, so have I.", he said to no-one in particular, the brief flash of shock of the blasted Oath no longer preventing him from finally doing what he needed to do.

Meriel and Cirra had decided that they wanted to get themselves killed, heading towards the burning fort and the monsters fighting within. At this point, he was all but convinced that this lot wanted to get themselves killed no matter what he tried to do to keep them from walking off the cliff. He had set that fire to keep their potential foes busy, maybe even to thin their numbers. While it still burned, they wanted to head right into the fray instead of waiting for the fires to die down. Leaving him here with Kez, Khloe, the Peck and the Fae.

"Like moths to a flame they go..", he said, shaking his head slightly. He looked over to the ungrateful Fae, the same smile on his face. "To say that those that had lost half their numbers to protect someone so ungrateful as you isn't as brave as one who cowers at the first sight of battle is quite a statement. I can't speak for the rest, but I would have left you and your craven companion outside that tower for the Greenskins to do what they wished. You are right though, it was only the Oath the kept me from doing so...."

With impressive speed, he grabbed his spear. While the wood was worn and stained, and the metal was slightly rusted, it was still an effective weapon. A swift motion, and it bolted from his hand, slamming the fae squarely in the chest. "Unfortunately for you, I don't seem to have that problem anymore.", he said quietly, his words having the weight of one who was free of an unwanted burden.

He bent over, picking up the bow that had been left on the ground. As he stood, he looked at Kez, her bow pointed at him. "Never say I didn't do anything for you lot, as much as I'm sure you'll blame me all the same.". As he slung the bow, he began to walk away from the fort. "If you're going to shoot, shoot to kill. Be it by your hands, a Peck's knife in my neck, or one of our many follies, I'll choose how I die. But at least I'll do so being free of the Captains last curse upon us.". And with that, he began to walk, expecting the metal arrowhead hitting him from behind at any moment. He expected it to be the back of the skull. Kez may want him dead, but she was a good shot, so it would be quick.

Info
Rikvarn Rosewound
Level: Slayer 1
Armor Class: 17 HP: 15/15 Speed: 30 ft Senses: ???, passive perception 14
Str: 13 Dex: 18 Con: 16 Int: 10 Wis: 14 Cha: 9
Saving throws: STR +3, DEX +4, CON +5, INT 0, WIS +2, CHA -1
Skills: Intimidation +1, Perception +4, Slight of Hand +6, Stealth +6
Feats: Alert, Tavern Brawler
Languages: Common, Thieves Can't

Last edited by creed; May 5th, 2023 at 04:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old May 4th, 2023, 09:51 PM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 4th, 2024
RPXP: 8112
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 2,187
Berries and Bastards
right-aligned image
Victimized for speaking the truth, or penning it in the scholar's case. Then had come the self-doubt, or even the denial of thoughts that had at first felt so true, so worthy of publication, back in the days when context was born of contemplation, rather than first-hand experience.

In recent times, many of Khloe's Blackguard colleagues had proved her wrong. Unpredictable. A touch bordering on the insane, perhaps. Yet, aside from Rikvarn whose inner wounding seemed more like a disease, immune to repair, the others had been caring, spirited, and even a little optimistic given their oath-sworn fates and inability to ever return to lives once lived.

But Rikvarn. He alone was proof that Khloe's reason for living a life in Black, was at least partly founded on truth. The recycling of filth. The creation of slave labor. The perpetuation of individual's suffering, with no thought for the collateral harm their continued existence might bring. The ethics of it were wrong. The economics of it were wrong. Rikvarn was living proof, or at least living... for now.

For all the man's horrible words and threatening posturing, for all the puffed chest beating and alarmingly obvious inferiority, Khloe still cared the for man. Life was life, and a life subjected to this kind of forced service was allowed a little more forgiveness than most might be worthy of. There was a line though. In what Khloe witnessed in these recent seconds, which felt like weeks on end, the vulgar man had traveled far from the realms of forgivable personality disorders and small-sausaged over-compensation, to a world which had proven his right to breath, had expired.

Numbness and paralyzing shock as their ward was impaled. The scholar would have run at him, beaten at him with her own feeble fists, torn at him with her teeth, and suffered her own demise in the process, the anger was so strong. It was the horror of Rik's actions though, that held her back. Just enough time for the woman's actions to resort to instinct. Familiarity. A duty stronger than any oath to a fool for a King.

"Dol!!!"

Khloe found herself crouched next to the fae, and presented with what would most probably be the most difficult if not near impossible, task of her life. She reached into her bag of meager things, past the quills and gentle brush of a hand against parchment. She dug deeper, seeking softness and warmth. Moments later she pulled free a length of cloth and rolled it into a ball, before letting it fill with blood. Moving it around the weapon's shaft, gentle pressure was applied to hopefully, just maybe, slow the little woman's loss of life. With her rag now soaked and hands bloody, the scholarly lass's lips moved to her patient's ear.

"I gave you my word, little one. All I ask is that when this is said and done, that you might find it in your heart, to spare me."

A gentle warmth then came from Khloe's breath, and despite one's life on the road and endless proximity to grit, there was a scent of truth, compassion, and perhaps even admiration in it.

OOCCasting Spare the Dying


 

Last edited by 97mg; May 4th, 2023 at 09:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old May 5th, 2023, 03:19 PM
Silent Rain's Avatar
Silent Rain Silent Rain is online now
Neighborhood Mind Flayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 4th, 2024
RPXP: 21585
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Posts: 9,184
The Year 532 AFW - Foot of the Barrnach Mountains (Hex 16) - Morning - Clear skies

As the situation began to escalate and Rikvarn's aggression toward the halfling began to increase, Meriel attempted to diffuse the situation by using logic and the existence of far larger issues to concern themselves with, all of which would only grow worse the more they delayed.

Cirra took the need to keep moving one step further by actually heading in the direction of the fort, intent on finding some way through the ruins and around the warring spiders and hill giants.

Rikvarn verbally lashed out at nearly everyone, his contempt now oozing forth like a spoiled wound. His rage provided him a surge in mental fortitude that allowed him to bare arms against the halfling, someone whom Dol'anna had clearly indicated she wished to be protected. With a suddenness that likely surprised everyone, he thrust his spear forward to end the burdensome peck's life. Unexpectedly, however, Dol'anna had stepped in front of the spear.

The tip of the weapon, thrusted into her by an enraged blackguard, emerged from her back. She looked down at the shaft, a mix of surprise and fear quivered in her watering eyes. To work up the will to kill the halfling was one thing, to injure the one whom his oath had named, was quite another. The ancient magic that enforced the words spoken by the Sacramentum, which had somehow been strengthened by their captain's blood oath, slammed down on Rikvarn's mind like a steel trap. Killing him instantly.

Khloe was horrified by what had just happened, and moved to help the injured fae. However, as the spear was pulled from the young girl's chest, the wound simply closed behind it as though it had never existed in the first place.

"Please", Dol'anna said quietly once she had regained her composure over what had happened, "help him", she said, nodding toward the body of Rik.


OOC Rik was described as stabbing the peck, which would be the halfling, but Khloe seemed to think that Dol'anna was stabbed. Either way, this now results in her being the one getting stabbed.

FYI, the DC to safely overcome the oath and directly injure Dol'anna is higher than what Rik rolled.

Rik has been reduced to 0 hp and needs to begin making death saves.



Enemies
Enemy AC Status
Hill Giant 1 13 31 Dmg, Injured
Hill Giant 2 13 30 Dmg, Injured
Giant Spider 1 14 22 Dmg, Seriously Injured
Giant Spider 2 14 dead
Giant Spider 3 14 Uninjured

Guide | I swear that I shall faithfully execute all that the High King and those that speak with his authority commands, that I shall never desert the service, and that I shall not seek to avoid death for the Kingdom of Valencia

Attempting to take an action that defies your oath is incredibly difficult. Each round you attempt to do so requires a DC 18 WIS save. Upon success, you take your intended action. On a fail, you suffer 1d4 psychic damage and cannot bring yourself to complete the action.

Sustained actions may require additional rolls as determined by the DM.
Sacramentum | Battlemap
Towns: King's Watch
NPCs: Dol'anna | Nemin

 

 

 


Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old May 6th, 2023, 02:44 AM
The Rat Queen's Avatar
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen is online now
The Archfriend.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 3rd, 2024
RPXP: 28922
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Posts: 8,590
Meriel
right-aligned image
Meriel stopped as a commotion erupted behind her. Turning and looking back, she saw the worst possible scenario played out, or close to it. The halfling was behind the fae, who was sprawled as though she'd been knocked back. Khloe was bent over the fae, hands spread over her, though she seemed a bit surprised. The fae didn't seem hurt, but Rik's spear was directly in front of her, leading back to...

...Rik. He was stretched out on the ground, sightless eyes clapped on the sky above, mouth agape, chest unmoving. "Ohhhh...you stupid sonofa...", she growled, debating whether to run over to aid him or leave the bastard for the buzzards.

"Please, help him," said the fae in a voice just above a whisper. Meriel doubted very much that Rik would appreciate or be grateful for her advocacy, but the fact was they needed him. Assuming they could bring him enough under control to stop murdering their charge, of course. But it was a long way to go, and Rik, for whatever else you thought of him, was a scrapper.

With a sigh, Meriel ran over to Rik, checking his breathing and slapping his cheeks to revive him. "Rik. Rik, get up!" she said sharply, not seeing any signs of injury. Apparently, the Captain wasn't fooling around with this curse business, she noted, uncorking her waterskin and dumping it onto Rik's face and head.

"If he attacks the fae or the halfling again, put him down," she said over her shoulder to Kez. "You are such an idiot!" she cried at Rik as she shook him, trying to get him up. She knew there were...procedures...to revive a fallen person, but she'd never heard exactly what they were. She was an entertainer, not a medic!


Actions & RollsMovement:
Free Action:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Current effects:

 

 
__________________
Can't think of anything clever, just got tired of updating all my active characters! ♥

Last edited by The Rat Queen; May 6th, 2023 at 02:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old May 6th, 2023, 06:06 PM
lydklein's Avatar
lydklein lydklein is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 4th, 2024
RPXP: 9727
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Posts: 8,174
Kezaiah Ascher
left-aligned image

"Oh I believe you, Kez."," he said, his voice almost disturbingly calm. "It seems you've found a way to finally express your true self."
He found himself thinking of how he would love to break that bow over her skull, and to his shock, found no resistance at the thought.


Kezaiah had every intention of shooting Rik if he didn't leave Nemin alone. Despite having to fight every instinct in her to plead and beg as she once would have done ages ago, despite the way her arms threatened to tremble from what the Sacramentum might do to her if she did, in spite of the nausea that threatened to take permanent resident in the pit of her stomach, she was determined to protect those she had promised herself to keep safe. Even if it was to protect one from the other she would do it. No exceptions. She had every intention to stop Rikvarn should he decide to follow through with his implied threat.

"And it seems, so have I." The man's whispered words were lost among noise of the momentarily forgotten chaos that continued in the background.

By the time she registered what he meant to do, having reached for his weapon, it was too late. He lunged the tip of his weapon forward. Straight into Dol'anna's soft belly. The sadistic pleasure that rippled across his feature suddenly gone. Rikvarn fell to the ground.

Kez barely registered Dol'anna's cry, the soldier's horrified gaze glued to the gaping wound. Even as it mended itself at an unnatural rate, she stared, hands beginning to tremble. She had had every intention of protecting the two fae, but she hadn't. She had failed. It wasn't until Meriel rushed passed her, barking orders, steady as ever, that the world rushed back in. The clash and cries of the two small aries at the other end of the pass hit her like a wall. Mer's words, swirling around her head almost lost in the swirl of emotions that fought to keep her paralyzed.

"If he attacks the fae or the halfling again, put him down."

Meriel's words were the impetus that kicked her mind into working order once again.

"That's isn't going to be good enough." Hurrying over, muscle memory took over as she stowed her weapons, including the loaned hehehe haven't forgotten my Preciousshortbow. she hooked her arms under Rik's and lifted.

"We need to move. We're far to exposed. We haven't been seen by the giants yet, but it's only a matter of time before they do. Come on. Behind that wall. Where's Cirra?" She hoped she could pull The Idiot to safety in time before it was too late. Sparing Nemin and Dol'anna and apologetic look, she jerked her head, urging them to follow along.

"Forgive us. We- I have every intention of helping you-both of you-with or without the Oath. My word. But to do that, I need you to stick close to the rest of us. Come on. We aren't safe yet. Not until we're in the king's presence. Quickly." She urged the fae to follow them, trusting Khloe to hurry them along.

Sweat created little paths in the grime of the road that covered her face. Had it only been two days since they had run across these two? Grunting with the effort of dragging the dead weight of a decently muscled human, she managed to pull him to safety. Once they were in relative safety Kez allowed herself to collapse from the effort. She watched as the others gathered around, attempting to save Rik from his own choices. She looked at Nemin, honest regret on her face.

"I know how earnest your people are. How much of a sacrifice you've made to leave home to help someone. Anyone in need. Your people once helped my parents. I was born on the outskirts of Denby, along with my brothers and sister. Ascher. My family name is Ascher. I owe my life to the Little Ones of Denby. I swear I'll do better to honor your efforts here, Nemin." Eyes drifting to Dol'anna her eyes fell to the clean tear in her dress where a wound should be.

"Regardless of the answer, I was being sincere with my promise, but you should be as dead as Rikvarn. Why aren't you? *Who* are you really?" Voice calm, so as not to alarm the Dol'anna, Kezaiah awaited the girl's response.
Actions and Stats
 
 
__________________
DM:The Night Blade; "Well-behaved women seldom make history." -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich ;
Taken the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old May 7th, 2023, 11:34 PM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 4th, 2024
RPXP: 8112
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 2,187
Despeared
right-aligned image
It was going to take Khloe a long time to process what she'd just witnessed, and even if a majority of them got out of here with their lives, these recent moments were sure to be lingering and haunting... just waiting to resurface. As it turned out, the scholarly woman's efforts to spare the dying fae weren't required. Through some form of miracle, magic protection, or equally mysterious way, Dol'anna hadn't even suffered a scratch. This left Khloe standing around in shock, the paralysis returning, her legs numb whilst her mind went wild. Then she turned to Rik, the great lump of a man now being dragged away. Somehow, Khloe managed to follow, before kneeling down next to him and staring into those blank yet hateful eyes.

"Dol'anna... Dol'anna... you're sure? You want him back?"

She looked to the girl, then Nemin, and then her companions. Her expression was a pained one, as though attempting to bring the man back might be as though restoring a curse.

"I'm... I'm not sure. He is better off now. We are better off now."

A moment of contemplation followed... and then she moved her hand to Rik's sweaty, and perpetually furrowed looking brow. It has his ear she whispered into this time.

"Now listen to me you sod. You sorrow-filled waste of air. I take no pleasure in extending your suffering, but they want it so. Death does not deserve us, quite yet. I do this for the girl."

OOCCasting Spare the Dying


 
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old May 11th, 2023, 06:37 PM
Drachenspirit's Avatar
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 3rd, 2024
RPXP: 33664
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Posts: 27,333
Cirra
left-aligned image
Cirra had been rushing to the fort, with everyone behind her, but then...

No one was.

She heard the yelling and commotion in her wake, pausing to look back and there was Rik down and everyone just losing their sh*t.

She rushed back, and seeing Khloe tending to the fallen Rikvarn, she took a few breaths before she spoke.

"What the hells happened to him? Meriel still has her arrow, so did you hit him with something, Kez?"

"Can't believe I missed that. Woulda been my best memory since taking the oath."

 
__________________
Posting Status: Normal - If a post/reply is needed from me as either a player or a DM/GM that I have overlooked, please send me a PM.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old May 12th, 2023, 01:34 PM
Silent Rain's Avatar
Silent Rain Silent Rain is online now
Neighborhood Mind Flayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 4th, 2024
RPXP: 21585
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Posts: 9,184
The Year 532 AFW - Foot of the Barrnach Mountains (Hex 16) - Morning - Clear skies

Meriel turned as she heard the commotion and raced back toward Rik, who laid sprawled out upon the ground, unmoving. Conflicting emotions ran rampant as she moved futilely to aid the man, while at the same time asking that Kezaiah shoot him if he does wake and tries to pick up where he left off.

Kezaiah stood motionless for a moment as the scene unfolded before her, but at the words from Meriel, she snapped into action. Placing her hands under Rik's arms, she began to drag him closer to the mountain wall and cover. She did what she could to console the likely panicked Dol'anna and Nemin, reassuring them that she would do what she could to protect them, even going so far as to describe her time when she lived with the halflings of Denby. She then turned to the young fae, asking how it was that she was still standing herself, having just been skewered by a spear, but with no wounds to show for it.

Khloe moved to Dol'anna's side, checking on her young ward. As she asked for Rik to be spared, Khloe had to ask her to be sure that was what she really wanted. In the end she did as the girl had asked and used what craft she possessed to fan whatever life Rik had left to him.

Cirra rushed back when she realized no one had followed her as she had moved on to the fort. By the time she returned, Rik already laid upon the ground, to which she admitted some disappointment to not having been present when it happened.

Dol'anna looked down at the wound that should have been there, just below her sternum. Instead, only a slit in her shirt remained. I..I'm not sure, she said, replying to Kezaiah. I have heard that my kind cannot be harmed by the weapons of man, but have never put that to the test before.

"I'm sorry, but you should just let him die," Nemin finally spoke up. "I hate that I am even suggesting such a thing, but it seems that he is even more of a threat to you than those goblins are."

Dol'anna nodded and rested a hand on Nemin's shoulder. "I understand...and you are probably right. But, I am beginning to understand more of the nature of the threat that we face, and we will need all the help we can get. I do not believe that Rikvarn's story ends here," she said, looking back at the man still lying on the ground. "Besides, I do not have it in me to condone anyone to death if there is even the slightest chance it can be avoided."

Another wavering shriek back toward the fort reveals that another of the spiders have perished under the giant wooden clubs of the hill giants. Only one remains, and will likely no last long.


OOC Rik has been stabilized. He still unconscious at 0 hp.

Players are up.



Enemies
Enemy AC Status
Hill Giant 1 13 31 Dmg, Injured
Hill Giant 2 13 30 Dmg, Injured
Giant Spider 1 14 dead
Giant Spider 2 14 dead
Giant Spider 3 14 10 dmg, injured

Guide | I swear that I shall faithfully execute all that the High King and those that speak with his authority commands, that I shall never desert the service, and that I shall not seek to avoid death for the Kingdom of Valencia

Attempting to take an action that defies your oath is incredibly difficult. Each round you attempt to do so requires a DC 18 WIS save. Upon success, you take your intended action. On a fail, you suffer 1d4 psychic damage and cannot bring yourself to complete the action.

Sustained actions may require additional rolls as determined by the DM.
Sacramentum | Battlemap
Towns: King's Watch
NPCs: Dol'anna | Nemin

 

 

 


Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old May 12th, 2023, 07:56 PM
The Rat Queen's Avatar
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen is online now
The Archfriend.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 3rd, 2024
RPXP: 28922
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Posts: 8,590
Meriel
right-aligned image
Meriel sighed as it appeared that Rik would, for the moment, survive. Glancing at the fallen man in irritation, she turned back toward the dwindling battle between the giants and remaining spider.

"Looks like they're almost finished," she pointed out with a nod toward the fort. "Hopefully, the giants will head back wherever they came from to lick their wounds and we can sneak by before goblin reinforcements arrive."

Turning back to Rik, she shook her head. "Not sure we can do that dragging him around, though. I thought the whole reason we kept him was to carry heavy stuff."

Glancing around for ideas, she brightened slightly, unslinging her pack to remove a length of rope. "We could just drag him," she suggested. "Wrap him up in his cloak so he doesn't get dragged too badly across rocks, and maybe the four of us could manage to lug his carcass past the fort?"




Actions & RollsMovement:
Free Action:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Current effects:

 

 
__________________
Can't think of anything clever, just got tired of updating all my active characters! ♥
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old May 15th, 2023, 11:19 PM
lydklein's Avatar
lydklein lydklein is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 4th, 2024
RPXP: 9727
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Posts: 8,174
Kezaiah Ascher
left-aligned image

Kezaiah remained still for a beat, digesting what Dol'anna had just shared about her kind. "Can't be harmed by weapons of man..." The words echoed in her mind as she turned to help Meriel secure Rik. As a last minute addition, she pulled out her tent in an attempt to create some sort of stretcher for their comrade. Last thing they needed was to give him another reason for him to hate them. It was going to be rough going while he was unconscious.

"Agreed, Meriel. Hopefully, they'll be too hurt to put up much of a fight if they do spot us."

As the unit waited for the creatures to finish each other off. Kez looked around the immediate area, collecting some of the ingredients she'd seen Khloe store. With an fistful of some flora, she made her way over to their healer. "Found these, Khloe. Don't know if they'll be useful to you, but I saw some of these in your pouch. Let's try to be ready to follow Meriel. Yeah?" Turning to Cirra, Kez signalled her to follow. "You're better at spotting a tail. Watch our backs in case those greenskins are closer than we thought? I'll keep an eye on those guys." She jerked a thumb at the giants beating down at the lone spider.

As quietly as she could, she pulled her longbow and sighted down the shaft of her arrow. It was better to be ready should they decide NOT to lick their wounds. In the meantime, her thoughts vacillated between wondering about Dol'anna's importance, what they could do to lose the horde and how she was going to keep Rikvarn from slitting her throat as she slept.
Actions and Stats
 
 
__________________
DM:The Night Blade; "Well-behaved women seldom make history." -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich ;
Taken the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old May 17th, 2023, 12:01 PM
Drachenspirit's Avatar
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 3rd, 2024
RPXP: 33664
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Posts: 27,333
Cirra
left-aligned image
Cirra sized up the situation and listened to what was said.

She wasn't exactly sure what had happened, but it was clear that Rikvarn had crossed some kind of line, and the Oath knocked him down? Or was it Dol'ann? Either one she wasn't about to cross anytime soon with a very, very good reason.
She paused long enough as she looked over Rikvarn that everyone would definitely note that she was weighing her own options.

She then looked up at everyone and spoke in a voice that sounded somewhat like Rikvarn, Sure. I'd keep me around too. Who's else ya gonna get to set fire to a Giant's Privy?" It 14 on Persuasionwasn't her best effort at mimicking someone, but it was good enough that one could tell she sounded like Rikvarn

She was about to chime in that Meriel had less upper body strength than any of them, but that'd mean she'd have to jump in and carry Rikvarn's big arse, so she selfishly let it go, and if pressed she'd likely say she didn't want to hurt Meriel's feelings.

Readying the crossbow that she was glad she had again, she looked behind them for Goblins and simply said,

"I'm ready. Let's go." She couldn't help herself and added, "I really hope this old fort isn't the Giants' new home." That statement was the opposite of hope if the Giants truly did call the fort their home now.

If anyone gave her a look for saying that since it might 'jinx' their chances of moving through effectively, she'd just shrug her shoulders in a "what?" gesture like she didn't know what they meant.

 
__________________
Posting Status: Normal - If a post/reply is needed from me as either a player or a DM/GM that I have overlooked, please send me a PM.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; May 17th, 2023 at 12:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old May 22nd, 2023, 11:15 PM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 4th, 2024
RPXP: 8112
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 2,187
Despeared
right-aligned image
Khloe took Kezaiah's offered botanicals and smiled back at her.

"Thank you. I don't know if it will work, but we can only try."

Were they the same healing berries that the scholar had managed to collect elsewhere along their journey? Or were they imposters, a similar breed that might not have quite the same heart-starting and wound-closing effect? For a moment, Khloe rolled them in her hand, finding that she was actually unsure. With giant spiders and humanoids doing battle nearby, a goblin army likely on the way, and a colleague unconscious, there was probably a just bit too much pressure.

"If we can't carry him, or carrying him exposes us, perhaps we can hide him... and I'll stay to keep watch upon him, whilst you scout ahead and find shelter, perhaps?"

It was just an idea, but Khloe couldn't think of anything better to do.

OOCRolled a 5 for Medicine so I'm assuming Khloe might not want to risk using Kez's berries?


 

Last edited by 97mg; May 22nd, 2023 at 11:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old Jun 7th, 2023, 02:06 PM
Silent Rain's Avatar
Silent Rain Silent Rain is online now
Neighborhood Mind Flayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 4th, 2024
RPXP: 21585
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Posts: 9,184
The Year 532 AFW - Foot of the Barrnach Mountains (Hex 16) - Morning - Clear skies

With the general consensus that that they would not allow Rikvarn to die, and that they would, therefore, be required to drag him around until he could walk on his own two feet, Meriel offered the suggestion that they drag the man behind them with a length of rope as they make their way east.

Kezaiah agreed with Meriel's plan and nocked an arrow, keeping her eyes on the warring giants, whom they would have to pass in order to escape the pass.

Cirra also agreed to the plan, and readied her crossbow, keeping an eye on the pass to the west in the event more goblins appeared.

Khloe took the berries that Kez had found and bit down on one of them. The berries that she knew had healing properties, produced a bit of a tingle on the tongue. The berries Kez found, while certainly edible, did not posses the same qualities as the 'good' berries.

The Blackguards did not have to wait long before the final spider issued a final squeal before falling still beneath the massive club of a hill giant. From there, the giants moved to place the spiders into a pile beside the fort, before beginning to throw dirt onto the fire in an apparent attempt to put it out.


OOC

Players are up.



Enemies
Enemy AC Status
Hill Giant 1 13 31 Dmg, Injured
Hill Giant 2 13 30 Dmg, Injured
Giant Spider 1 14 dead
Giant Spider 2 14 dead
Giant Spider 3 14 dead

Guide | I swear that I shall faithfully execute all that the High King and those that speak with his authority commands, that I shall never desert the service, and that I shall not seek to avoid death for the Kingdom of Valencia

Attempting to take an action that defies your oath is incredibly difficult. Each round you attempt to do so requires a DC 18 WIS save. Upon success, you take your intended action. On a fail, you suffer 1d4 psychic damage and cannot bring yourself to complete the action.

Sustained actions may require additional rolls as determined by the DM.
Sacramentum | Battlemap
Towns: King's Watch
NPCs: Dol'anna | Nemin

 

 

 


Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:23 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2024, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB