RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Dec 30th, 2023, 09:47 PM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10603
Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart
Professor Hieronymous Glyph II

For us to talk
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 10:17 PM
Spes Temporis

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2705
Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool
Azathool's Application - Professor Hieronymous Glyph II
"Seeking Cosmic Insight Across the Planes."

Concept
Scribe and master of knowledge, historian and seeker of lore on the portals.

right-aligned image
Image Created with DALL-E 3

Name: Professor Hieronymous Glyph II(D&DB Sheet)

Class/Subclass: L9 Wizard (Scribes) / L1 Cleric (Knowledge)
Race: Autognome (Spelljammer) (1,2&5: Created in his father's image to carry on his legacy. Win the Modron March Grand RaceAutognome History)
Alignment: Lawful NeutralLN
Faction: Who Consume Magic and Its SecretsIncanterium

Hieronymous Glyph II - Description
Standing almost four feet tall and of "homely" build, Hieronymous could at first glance be confused as being a normal flesh and bone gnome wearing lots of… gray; except for his Hat of Wizardaryhat, a unique
normal image without text wrap
Sourced from planescapesmasks.obsidianportal.com/wiki_pages/the-incanterium
purple, fading from a deep mauve at the peak to a pale lilac at the rim, arcane glyphs stitched in black thread around the circumference.

Closer inspection however shows "Built to be male presenting, although mechanical in formhe" is entirely made of metal, from his hair to his feet. Over his eyes, a pair of goggles with black lenses are permanently fitted, with the only piece of cloth clothing being his aforementioned hat, the purple of Incanterium, only worn by their members, as you would have to be suicidal to wear that colour if not.

A small backpack is almost always on his back from which he pulls various belongings, and a rugged leather satchel houses his journal and the Mystiglyph, the repository of his arcane magic.

The latter is more often than not held in his hands, open to a page with arcane glyphs on it, or tucked under an arm. A spectral copy is often manifested close by, floating like a ghost, its pages opening and closing seemingly with a mind of its own.

In combat, he wields a small Shield of Expressionshield with his own face embossed on the outer surface, its features set in an exaggerated "expression of the day" judiciously picked depending on Hiero's mood.

His trusted friend and helper, Carruthers, often sits on his shoulder. The tiny Elf Ow, only the size of a sparrow, looks vigilantly over everything Hiero does except for when a juicy moth, cricket or beetle is sighted, at which the diminutive raptor lets loose what sounds more like a dogpuppy barking in joy and whisks off, snatching the prize with expertise.

Background
Background: Planescape: You spent a significant amount of time somewhere influenced by intense planar forces or a portal to another plane of existence, such as one of the gate-towns in the Outlands. You’re accustomed to experiences that would leave others reeling in terror or enraptured by otherworldly beauty, and you’re as comfortable dealing with Celestials and Fiends as you are with the vendors in town (who might be one and the same).Gate Warden | Feature: Living in a gate-town or a similar location steeped you in planar energy. You gain the Scion of the Outer Planes feat. In addition, you know where to find free, modest lodging and food in the community you grew up in.Planar Infusion (Planescape)(This counts as my "free" Feat, as the background comes with one.)

Role-Playing Sample

Allies/Rivals
Rival(s) : Members of the Believers of the Source. They knew Hieronymous's origin and think his creation is sacriledge.
Allie(s) : Members of the Fraternity of Order. Hieronymous's might have been accepted to the faction had he been a little less annoying with the "W" questions.
Rival : Single PC/NPC TBD.
Ally : Yselda.

Let me know a particular plane you are interested in travelling toPlane: All of them of course!

Secret Agenda: Secret for the DM.

Personal Goal
Hieronymous is not quite sure why, but he has suddenly become very interested in winning the competition… something niggling deep in his mind.

And to do so that means he needs to know more, more magic, more lore, more on the portals. He will take it upon himself to transcribe every spell he can, record every important event, and ask every W question he can to the utter distraction of those around him.

Characters: Hieronymous - Valthrum - Slake - Spyder - Ain'Jel - Aster - Bob - Leatherface - Eric/Unit-13

Last edited by Azathool; Jan 13th, 2024 at 10:35 PM.
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 10:37 PM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart
I already sent you a DM but let's talk here.

First question,

How do you want your relationship with Ishama to be? Currently her and Elias are on good terms but dont talk much due to his early retirement. She knows why but wont mention it. I have her faction as open ended currently. I was going to place her base on the group choices. If you want to be connected that could be fun

Edit: She is also currently an older elf, retired from adventures

Last edited by Sageheart; Dec 30th, 2023 at 10:38 PM.
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 10:50 PM
Spes Temporis

Tools
User Statistics
Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool
I would suggest friends, in a "grumpy but motherly" kind of way.

If she is "older" she may have even known HG1st, but HG2nd can be kind of annoying in a nice kind of way (had to have a dump stat, sorry CHA, and I play it "real".).

HG could not get into any faction (not that he used to care), as most knew he would "Question" them to death, but strangely Incanterium did recently. I would suggest his "secret" is they are actually using HG for some nefarious reason he is unaware of.

He of course is overjoyed at being a Faction member of such a prestigious seeker of Lore, and he doesn't care (or know) they are grumpy old sods...HG is oblivious to it! He probably has some basic access to the tower, but maybe just a blank hallway, his study room and some other basic shared areas... but nowhere "special", so he can't give away too much even if his mind is read.
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 11:05 PM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
I like all of this. Got more thoughts I will post when not mobile, so probably in the new year.

On that note, Happy New Year!

I do check these threads daily though so feel free to ask questions. Once my other player has a bit more down I'll give a thread for you two to talk in character.
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 11:06 PM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
I like all of this. Got more thoughts I will post when not mobile, so probably in the new year.

On that note, Happy New Year!

I do check these threads daily though so feel free to ask questions. Once my other player has a bit more down I'll give a thread for you two to talk in character.
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 11:16 PM
Spes Temporis

Tools
User Statistics
Ah yes, New Year! And to you, in a day for me.

Just got over Christmas with the in-laws, so a day of rest before that, luckily just me and the wife and a lobster tail for dinner.

If you are interested I have a D&DB Shared Sources campaign you are welcome to use, all content should be enabled. If not no worries.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/campaigns/...73413976583483

On that basis here's some questions;
1. Do you want me to do an RPGX 5E character sheet? Not an issue for me, just copy-paste.
2. Would you prefer me to NOT take anything and/or do anything. aka, restrictions. I know a lot of DM's don't like flying for example.
3. I am going to assume that it's ok for me to pick any spells I can memorize (within reason) to copy, at the correct 10 GP per level for my starting spellbook... which means less magic items. ah well.

Characters: Hieronymous - Valthrum - Slake - Spyder - Ain'Jel - Aster - Bob - Leatherface - Eric/Unit-13
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 11:35 PM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
1) I actually didnt hate the layout of DnDB so that works for me. I may use your source thank you. I usually just use docs and excel.

2) I have no restrictions. I tend to punch kinda hard when I do, and if I find you built something broken i will respond similarly. I prefer to avoid broken characters and combat in this game will be uncommon (unless made yourselves) but deadly. I prefer it that way. Also the planes themselves will have their own restrictions, as in I will be using lighter versions of 2e spell restrictions based on plane where some were empowered and others would fail.

3) yes. But if you are doing that you would have to purchase the spell scroll to put it in outside what you get per a level. I'll give you half off all starting spells in this manner to represent you getting them from work done, etc. There will be many options to scroll spells into your book so I wouldnt be too eager early on. With the push on downtime all you need is a library and ideally a PC will have one outside your own.

Last edited by Sageheart; Dec 30th, 2023 at 11:36 PM.
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 12:05 AM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
FYI I made a OOC folder in this area, and the other player is currently active.
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 02:04 PM
Spes Temporis

Tools
User Statistics
Some notes on Autognomes of importance;

1. They are constructs. That means several spells/effects will NOT work on him, specifically ones targeting only "humanoids". So for example Hold/Charm Person. If it affects a "creature" though it will work, and spells vs constructs also will work!
2. Only certain healing works, as per the race stats. So L6 Heal will not work for example.
3. To complete a Long Rest takes 6 hours, not 8, so decide how that affects your version of resting.
4. And also, given HG is a Construct, bandages would seem to be wrong, rather a forge, iron bolts and oil?

Also;
4. L3 Catnap is a spell HG will be learning, how will it work with your rest rules.
5. I get Guidance, however I dislike Guidance spamming, esp. "when too obvious". So I will explicitly state when I use it, and then you can decide if it's necessary to see if "the opponent" notices. An example is using Guidance when doing an Insight roll to see if someone is lying. Kinda cheesy. But before you climb up a wall? Sure!

Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 05:28 PM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
I had to do some research on Autognomes, but also have the spelljammer book. I really like their background, and find them to be a lot of fun! It will add a lot of fun stuff for exploring other planes.

On resting rules, we can just make your short rests 6 hours instead of 8 hours, and the long rests will be the same. But I would say workshops can function as hospitals for you which would offer quite a bit more options to shorten your long rest. Also instead of medicine, mechanical ways can be done to fix you up which also can expand your options.

4) L3 Catnap spell is an interesting one, I can either do one of two things with it. We can do A) Increase the duration and it can provide a full short rest, or we can make it same duration and allow it to do a pitstop ability which is still pretty powerful. I do not want it to make the short rest rules irrelevant, but don't want the spell to not have any power. It is a cool spell!

5) I play Guidance the same way. Slight of hand would have to be used to "hide" it from use in conversation. Also sometimes opponents might not mind, or expect it, other times could open up other dialogue thoughts. But yes I plan to have the spell possibly cause situations depending on how it is used and who sees.
Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 08:38 PM
Spes Temporis

Tools
User Statistics
Have finished the first draft of the purchased spells and items, see attachment.

Will probably tweak it a bit more, but it's pretty much there.

As stated I've paid half price for the spell scroll purchases, then the scribe costs.

All items prices are as per the previously linked item spreadsheet.

Any issues let me know, anything you don't like let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-02 203155.png
Views:	6
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	101518  

Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 10:00 PM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
That looks great to me! There will be "spending money" stipend from your Sponsor, which won't be used for items, but can maintain a particular standard of living in Sigil itself. This will be alongside normal rewards/loot.
Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 10:18 PM
Spes Temporis

Tools
User Statistics
ok, next question. How strict are you on RAW for [v]/S/M component spell casting, specifically;

I will almost always have my spell book, which is my Focus in-hand... AND I want to use a Shield (item/armour).. no weapons, pretty much ever, I am after all a Scribe... my quill is mightier than the sword.

RAW this means I can case a [v]/S/M spell, but not a [v]/S spell, as the strange rules for V/S interaction say I have to have a free hand, whilst for [v]V/S/M spells I can use the same hand as I have my focus in for the S part.

This means in this case I would have to, before casting [v]/S spell put my book in a pouch (free object interaction) cast the spell, then next round get it back out.

Where this calls down is Reaction cast [v]/S spells, and as it happens the biggy is the Shield spell.

Most DM's allow V/S casting as long as you have Focus in-hand, which I will.

Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 11:27 PM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
That seems very reasonable to me, and have played that way with my other groups. I am not super strict on RAW overall. If it makes sense then I usually allow it unless it becomes broken in some manor. This is not that, so all good.