Game Thread The Resistance Arc: Futurist, Friend or Foe? - Page 6 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Mutants & Masterminds > Pandora’s Door > Pandora's Door Issue #1: The New Normal
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #76  
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 09:51 AM
Rockerboy's Avatar
Rockerboy Rockerboy is offline
very preem, choom
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 2nd, 2024
RPXP: 2902
Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy
Posts: 875
Vincent "Vinny" Santoni
right-aligned image
Vinny supposed, what with a name like the Futurist, that probably meant the guy in the mask was a bit of an egghead. That was all-but-confirmed when Futurist began answering the question about what the facility was for, about what the group had been doing at the opera house, and thankfully Vinny's eyes were already glossed over white... otherwise they would have clearly glazed over about midway through all that.

Uh...

Then Masque stepped in, which drew Vinny's attention to the redhead. She laid things out simpler and quicker, which the metallic man appreciated. It wasn't that Vinny was stupid, so much that he just had no idea about who or what the Futurist was talking about - Newton, Galileo, Rutherford? Ethical ramifications?

"Yeah, okay, I see," Vinny nodded slowly as he looked from Masque - with an appreciative smirk - and back to Futurist. "So kinda like a safehaven? Place for us with powers to belong an' avoid whatever the suits wanna try an' do to us. I can get behind somethin' like that, yeah."

Vinny raised a shiny eyebrow.

"I noticed you mentioned MURDers such as ourselves... does that mean you ain't a MURDer? And wonderin' what you get outta helpin' our kind aside, does that mean yous are open to helpin' non-MURDers - like family or somethin'? Movin' them, or helpin' them escape threats because of what we can do, with powers an' all?"

The chance to get some help to relocate his ma seemed too good to pass up, at least without asking. If not, that was fine, Vinny would find another way. But right now, the Futurist and his people seemed well situated and capable, so there might have been a chance to get that help.

I could be linin' up all my ducks in a row. Hopefully.

Mike spoke up then, while he seemed distressed or something, and mentioned that some powered folk were criminals. Vinny furrowed his eyebrows. It wasn't an ideal topic, not really, especially if eyes began to look toward Vinny - what with his up-until-recently association with the Outfit. Though, granted, the latest agreement had been out of a need to protect his mother, so...

"Given how things are, like Futurist spouted 'bout tensions and the government, maybe some MURDers ain't in a position to walk that lawful line outright? I mean, if you can't feed your family because of who you are, an' your options are gettin' stuffed into a Fed van or stealin' some money for food, what's the choice?" Vinny raised his eyebrows but offered a shrug. "Sounds like a place like this might help with some of that, by bein' a chance to avoid starvin' or losin' our homes - especially with that expandin' military zone."

Maybe.

Who knew?

"Oh, an' don't get me wrong," Vinny added, as he held up a large hand in pause. "I ain't excusin' those lowlives from earlier. They're scum, you bet, I just mean folks between a rock and a hard place, is all."

Or a metal one.
__________________
GMing:
Star Wars | X-Men | Ronin
Update: RL work commitments have resulted in temp greater workload, so posting/GMing is iffy til mid-June - sorry!

Last edited by Rockerboy; Mar 16th, 2024 at 09:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 05:46 PM
Drachenspirit's Avatar
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 34894
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Posts: 28,324
Where The Wind Blows
left-aligned image
Aleq/Tornādo listened and didn't say anything.

Time would tell on what this place turned out to be and where they drew the line on how far they'd go to protect those like themselves.

After a moment she said, "My only family was killed in the explosion which made me what you all are. So, you're all I got. I hope we can make this work."

She didn't add that she had made a promise to her father before he passed - that was just too personal at the moment, maybe any moment. It didn't matter as she intended to keep that promise.
__________________
Posting Status: On Track - If a post is needed from me either as a DM/GM or a player, please PM me.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 07:53 PM
Boss Nadar's Avatar
Boss Nadar Boss Nadar is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 28th, 2024
RPXP: 3164
Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar
Posts: 697
The Futurist Safe House, April 1957
right-aligned image
Clockwise from top left: Masque, Futurist, Sarah Beem, Hyde
Aleqasina Smith, Michael Oldman, Vincent Santoni, Farrah Marshall
The Futurist turns towards Michael at his comment. "In the eyes of the law, you are all criminals simply for being MURDers, and I a criminal for aiding you, but I do see your point. Still, I think Vinny's got the right of it. If people continue to see MURDers as monsters, then eventually MURDers will have no choice but to become monsters. Sort of a 'self-fulfilling prophecy', I suppose. In cases like these, it isn't laws that should guide us, but morals. What is legal is not always moral, and what is moral is not always legal."

To Vinny, he shrugs. "Essentially, yes, this place is a safehaven. Ultimately, I'd like it to become much more than that, but we must lay down the foundations first. And no, I am not so lucky as you all to possess any anomalous abilities, despite being quite close to the initial blast, much to my own dismay. Is it really so hard to believe that I might be helping out of the good of my own heart?"

He pauses for a moment, then chuckles, shaking his head. "Ah, who am I fooling? I am a man of science, and you MURDers, well, you represent a paradigm shift in everything we know about the universe. In the past few months, I've seen universal causality utterly dismissed, conservation of mass made a mockery of, and the theory of thermodynamics burned to the ground. And that's just with-"

"The Futurist is a big egghead, and we're all part of his exciting science experiment," Masque interrupts again, returning Vinny's smirk.

The Futurist snaps to Masque in alarm. "What-no! I never meant to insinuate that I'd reduce you all to being an experiment, I simply meant-"

Masque raises her hand to silence him once more. "It's alright, Futurist, I know you mean well. But lets not pretend you aren't internally squealing like a schoolgirl every time you meet a MURDer with a new ability." Though the Futurist doesn't respond, his silence speaks volumes about the truth of her statement. "To answer your question, Vinny, that's actually not something we've needed to do yet. To the best of our knowledge, the government isn't going after the families of MURDers. Not surprising, as that'd probably set off the entire city if they started going after people simply for being related to MURDers. That said, that's certainly something we could do if it became necessary, but I really hope the government isn't stupid enough to cross that line."

"I don't think I knew that," the Futurist responds softly to Aleq's comment. "I am sorry for your loss. I don't know that we can ever replace what you lost, but I am glad you are here all the same."
__________________
GM of Gods and Tyrants and Pandora's Door
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 06:17 PM
Phasmus's Avatar
Phasmus Phasmus is offline
Duct Tape Mummy
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 13th, 2024
RPXP: 5252
Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus
Posts: 3,222
Mike
right-aligned image

Mike regards Vinny warily. His earlier suspicions about the metal man's first-name familiarity with the goons at the opera haven't much abated. But when he feels suspicious of everyone it's hard to trust his judgement. Here's a guy who heard someone in trouble and ran into the line of fire to help. A hero, Mike tells himself forcefully. He manages a weak, self-effacing smile as he replies. "Yeah, they had me locked up for a while... just because they could. I'm on the run, myself. I'm not talking about folks down on their luck doing what they have to, or who broke some dumb law they didn't know existed." He pauses, reflecting that that description applies to most of his family.

"I mean criminals who decided to make their living hurting and taking from other folks. There are real monsters out there, and if any of them end up with this kind of power they'll be worse. Just... just might be worth thinking about. Since we already met a guy who was trying to abduct miss Hillock and happy to throw lightning at us when we objected."

The last sentence is directed at the Futurist. He isn't sure if the masked man has picked up on the fact they they had a MURD vs. MURD fight on their outing this morning. Mike's worries about criminal MURDers are far from theoretical.

Mike flinches at the futurist's mention of conservation of mass. He's no scientist himself, but he's read enough to know that tons of fungal tissue aren't supposed to grow out of nowhere. It makes him worry. But not as much as the more personal issues he's been saddled with recently.
__________________
Now I see bees I won.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 05:47 AM
ArcZero's Avatar
ArcZero ArcZero is offline
Fire Emblem Connoisseur
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 6906
ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero
Posts: 867
The Gang's All Together II
right-aligned image
The Bombshell, Character Sheet Above
The Futurist's explanation is about what Farrah expected. The mention of prolific scientists might send regular Farrah into a tizzy, but less so in this state. It's not that she's a dullard, simply that she feels less attached to references and logic in this state and that she's more partial to sentiments.

Speaking of, she feels strongly on the topic of who is responsible for wrongdoing, but this topic's already come up twice for her. Pursing her lips and planting a hand on her rounded hip, the Bombshell makes her disapproval known with an apathetic glare. Evil isn't merely a deed but a state of mind and a temptation. And no human is above temptation. Vinny's comment smacks the most of crossing that line and she says matter-of-factly, "Theft is still a sin. The man you take from will simply suffer in your place."

Despite her heightened hackles, there's still glimmers of Farrah's moral convictions even if she wouldn't phrase them so confrontationally. Vinny adds on about the mafia members being lowlifes and Farrah nods subtly, not wishing to belabor the point. At least the Futurist and her are in agreement that both the law of the land and God's law are important.

The steely glass of water then inquires about getting MURD families out of trouble. That means it's on his mind for him or someone he knows. Sure, the guy seems swell but few people are that altruistic. Tornādo's history seems raw enough that Farrah doesn't say a thing. As awful as it is, her uncle is technically alive.

All the discussion goes on a little long for the impulsive Bombshell. She gives the Futurist a flat expression, "It's getting late. Mind if I put this to the test before turning in?" She indicates the reinforced room around them. Rather than trying to end the conversation, she wants to get to any more pressing matters. The slight smirk on her lips hints that an explosion is just what she needs to settle down for the night.
__________________
Characters: Elovhen, Ravenloft | Tonk, Shadowrun | Akane, Naruto 5e | Bronwyn, Waterdeep | Farrah, M&M 3e
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 09:42 AM
Drachenspirit's Avatar
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 34894
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Posts: 28,324
Where The Wind Blows
left-aligned image
Aleq nods but doesn't reply to the comments about being sorry for her loss.

She finally does say, "If I were to try and give an explanation on why I can coerce the wind to do what it does for me, I'd have to say it feels no different than walking around or wiggling my fingers. It feels natural and I just can."

She shrugs and then turns to Bombshell. "I'd like to see whatever it is you are thinking of doing in here, if that's okay. Question for you; if you take something from me, and I don't suffer, is it theft?"
She smiles as if she is privy to something she isn't saying.
__________________
Posting Status: On Track - If a post is needed from me either as a DM/GM or a player, please PM me.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 11:00 PM
Rockerboy's Avatar
Rockerboy Rockerboy is offline
very preem, choom
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 2nd, 2024
RPXP: 2902
Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy
Posts: 875
Vincent "Vinny" Santoni
right-aligned image
Vinny could understand the feelings Aleq might have been feeling, what with his own father murdered by the Outfit so recently it was still raw. It was a tough pill to swallow, losing a loved one, but at the same time Vinny had already offered his condolences for the car ride over - he wouldn't keep offering, that just seemed insincere.

Mike's mention about being locked up was a drag, that sounded really bad.

"That's rough, Mikey, sorry t'hear, buddy." Vinny said with a sigh. "An' yeah, I getcha now, it's all good. Those mooks who were after Rebecca could be trouble, they're part of the Mafia..."

Perhaps an overshare, but Vinny didn't want to not tell the people who might end up helping him out, he didn't want them caught by surprise if the Outfit tried to retaliate or something. But, he didn't dwell on the mention, either, and instead Vinny turned his attention to the Futurist.

"A safehaven I can understand, it's a good plan," he nodded, as he glanced to Bombshell. "An' I ain't tryin' to get all phillysophical 'bout anythin'... was just tryin' to say sometimes folks don't have no choices, an' that's the world we live in, like it or not."

Vinny knew that better than most. He looked to Futurist again.

"And I hope the Government don't go that far, yeah, but it could be others, too. Like Mike mentioned, we got all sorts willin' to throw 'round powers. I know it's a little kiddish, but if we're plannin' to play hero, we need to be prepared for others playin' villain."

There was some other philosophical discussion happening between Bombshell and Aleq, though Vinny stayed right out of that one. He didn't even want to delve into all that, though seeing the pair of attractive women potentially arguing wasn't such a bad thing in his mind - he smirked to himself, as he glanced between the pair of dames.

Wait, what did leather-clad and mysterious just say? Puttin' the room to the test?

Vinny raised his eyebrows as he looked around at the room, trying to determine if he understood things right:

"Ay, is this some kinda reinforced room or somethin'? Is this where ya test powers?"

The metallic man straightened and began to slowly grin, as he considered he now had a place to actually unleash with all of his power. Maybe he could find the upper limit of his newfound strength, or see how tough he really was, or what would happen if he got injured in his metal form. Vinny offered a shrug as he looked to the Futurist:

"Got anythin' to throw at me?"
__________________
GMing:
Star Wars | X-Men | Ronin
Update: RL work commitments have resulted in temp greater workload, so posting/GMing is iffy til mid-June - sorry!
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 10:45 PM
Boss Nadar's Avatar
Boss Nadar Boss Nadar is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 28th, 2024
RPXP: 3164
Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar
Posts: 697
The Futurist Safe House, April 1957
right-aligned image
Clockwise from top left: Masque, Futurist, Sarah Beem, Hyde
left-aligned image
Rebecca Hillock
Aleqasina Smith, Michael Oldman, Vincent Santoni, Farrah Marshall
"You're not wrong of course Mike," the Futurist replies, "but that's all the more reason to show the world that you aren't the villains the government thinks you are, that these powers are just tools, and that like any tool, it is the wielder that determines whether it is wielded for good or evil." Farrah's blanket condemnation of theft draws a wayward glance from the masked man, but he doesn't otherwise respond.

While you can't see his face, you can practically feel the Futurist grin as the conversation turns to power testing. "This room was originally designed to test small bombs. I would be impressed indeed if any of you were able to do anything more than create a crack in these wall. By all means, feel free to cut loose." He starts to step back, clearly intent on watching the demonstrations, when several footsteps pull his attention towards the stairs. Hyde is just turning the corner, Sally and Rebecca following shortly behind. The two girls appear as toddlers next to the towering man, who gives the Futurist a knowing nod.

The Futurist's shoulders visibly slump as he turns back towards you all. "As much as I would love to watch, responsibility calls. Masque, can you act as instructor in my stead, while I handle-"

"I got it, sure," Masque waves him off, almost dismissively, "You go do your thing, and I'll stay here." The Futurist gives an appreciative nod before following Hyde back upstairs. "Alright everyone, the crucible is big enough for everyone, so lets spread out! Don't want anyone's clothing catching fire because of a stray spark, or someone getting a thump on the head because they got too close."

"Come on," Sarah says to Michael excitedly, tugging a bit too hard on the mold that makes up his hand, "I want to show you what I can do!" There is a fire in her voice, an enthusiasm like that of an artist who just found their true vocation. Once she's managed to wrangle him to a nearby corner, she steps a few additional steps before shutting her eyes tightly. There is a brief moment of smoldering, before she self immolates!

Masque merely rolls her eyes before turning back toward Vinny. "There was some left over lab equipment when we took over the place. Couldn't tell you what any of it does, but plenty of it was heavy and bulky enough if you're thinking what I think you're thinking. And if you're not... I can think of a few other tests we could try out."
__________________
GM of Gods and Tyrants and Pandora's Door
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 07:40 AM
ArcZero's Avatar
ArcZero ArcZero is offline
Fire Emblem Connoisseur
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 6906
ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero
Posts: 867
Making A Statement
right-aligned image
The Bombshell, Character Sheet Above
it's obvious that Tornādo is being smart, but there's still a question there. Farrah's not about to have her conviction doubted, but the regular her wouldn't put as much sand into it. "If it isn't given willingly, it is theft no matter their need and the owner's disinterest. If a rich man hordes his wealth, then that is between him and God. Coveting what they have only adds another wrong to the pile."

She turns her head toward Vinny who isn't keen on philosophizing. With a zesty laugh, she gestures to the Futurist's words about proving their virtue. "That's right. And odd for you to say that Vinny. We always have a choice of some sort. Do you think it's against our wills that we wound up here? That good men like the Futurist and yourself chose to come here?" These powerful words flow from her easily like she's recited them all her life. A not entirely metaphorical fire burns in her eyes as playfulness mixes with annoyance. She might not even realize how dogged she sounds.

Luckily the idea of training gives them an easy out. Farrah looks for a reinforced control room for them to safely view from. Barring that, she asks them to stand 100 feet from her just to be safe. It dawns on her that this lovely new outfit won't possibly make it through this unscathed. She sighs and interrupts her own moment by addressing Masque, "Hmm. I assume you have something plain I can change into that you don't mind being ruined?"

She rushes back up the stairs to change into a plain skirt and blouse before re-entering the chamber two minutes later. Passing by Michael and Sarah in an intimate moment, the Bombshell lets out a whoop of support for the blonde alighting, "Whoo! Show him what you're made of, girl." She's only known her for the day but they are kindred spirits of directness. There also seems to be some kind of mentor or friend dynamic emerging between them that Farrah had no small part ushering in.

Retaking her spot on the opposite side of the room, the Bombshell breaths out carefully, "Okay, here goes. Mind the smoke... and sound. Just be careful. Okay?" It's somewhere between an order and concern. She turns her already elevated thoughts inwards and it doesn't take much to let the dam break. Frustration at God's grace being questioned and the way the day went burble up until they're all she can see. The 5'4" woman's bouquet of hair frazzles and turns an angry scarlet-white. The ends spit sparks and burn quickly like fuses, tracing from tip to scalp. As the energy concentrates, there is a corona of red light that outlines her body.

In that flashing moment of silence before destruction, it's almost impossible to make her out as anything human.

The sound of thunderous stone cracking precedes a wave of heat, smoke and unpleasant eggy-sulfur scent. The blast rushes to fill an impressive diameter of over a hundred feet. The smoke clears almost as quick as it came but the smell of brimstone lingers insidiously.

Heavily diminished, the feminine force of nature stands proudly. No one asked her to but she put her all into it and knows this is her most impressive blast yet. Maybe too much of herself as she stands in a heap of ash. She looks unfocused and weary, her torn clothing showing too much soot-dusted skin to remain properly modest.
OOCEDIT: I missed that Sarah already lit herself up, so just putting in a response to that.

Might as well sort this out now. Rather than just a force 5 explosion with a 60 foot radius, she'll use extra effort to bump it up. I didn't clear it with you exactly since it's in the High School book, I believe, but the Untapped Potential Advantage makes Extra Effort increase a power's rank by 3 instead of 2 (for a Rank 8?). But in the core rulebook says Extra Effort only increases it by 1 to start. So does Untapped Potential increase it by 2 instead of 1 to a Rank 7 explosion? I like her being able to strain extra hard but let me know if I should swap it out for something else.

Dice Fortitude:
1d20+5 (20)+5 Total = 25
Fortitude versus Weaken Side Effect DC 15 succeeds plus Fatigue from Extra Effort for fun!
__________________
Characters: Elovhen, Ravenloft | Tonk, Shadowrun | Akane, Naruto 5e | Bronwyn, Waterdeep | Farrah, M&M 3e
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by ArcZero; Mar 30th, 2024 at 10:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 06:49 PM
Rockerboy's Avatar
Rockerboy Rockerboy is offline
very preem, choom
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 2nd, 2024
RPXP: 2902
Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy
Posts: 875
Vincent "Vinny" Santoni
right-aligned image
With a tight-lipped (albeit metallic) smile on his lips, Vinny kind of just watched the interaction between the two ladies. It seemed they had some fundamentals that caused friction, but far be it for Vinny to judge someone on their convictions. As it was, it seemed like Bombshell had two assets in particular that were very intriguing - being fiery and intelligent.

When the woman with big hair turned to him, Vinny shrugged.

"I dunno 'bout all that," Vinny said simply, as he pointed a thumb at Hyde. "I just got offered a spot in the car, ya know? But, if somethin' good comes of all this, then great - Italian: Beautifulbellissima - that's all anyone can hope for, I think."

Then, it seemed like the Futurist had other business to attend to, which meant Masque would handle the testing room. As the others departed, Vinny turned his attention to the redhead and listened to her prompting about the lab equipment; and while it might not have been what Vinny had had in mind, he figured helping with moving some heavier things around wouldn't hurt--

"Holy Moses!"

--Vinny blinked and raised an arm reflexively as, across the way, Mike's squeeze - Sarah, was it? - burst into flames. That had been unexpected. He was about to ask if things were okay, but caught the bright display of Bombshell nearby; and with a curious glance at the - now differently outfitted - woman, Vinny blinked as another explosion took place as Bombshell literally went off...

"Yeah, huh, okay," Vinny muttered at the suddenness of all the powers. He wondered at all the ladies being so - literally - hot or fiery. In comparison, he felt kind of dull with his shiny metal, really. Vinny looked to Masque and motioned with his hands. "That sure was somethin'. So, Red... where do ya want me to start?"

What have I stumbled into here?
__________________
GMing:
Star Wars | X-Men | Ronin
Update: RL work commitments have resulted in temp greater workload, so posting/GMing is iffy til mid-June - sorry!
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 08:03 PM
Phasmus's Avatar
Phasmus Phasmus is offline
Duct Tape Mummy
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 13th, 2024
RPXP: 5252
Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus Phasmus
Posts: 3,222
Mike
right-aligned image

Mike lets himself be led in a familiar daze, one he'd never expected to experience again. Sometimes he had felt like a leaf caught up in the whirlwind of Sarah's excitement but he doesn't remember ever seeing her quite this intense. He doesn't even think to warn her that she'd need to wash some mold residue off her hands later. In fact, for a second, he almost forgets that there's anything wrong with him at all.

Seeing her aflame from across the chamber was one thing. He'd been too shocked to fully register what he was looking at. But watching her ignite up close utterly transfixes him. He gets as close as he dares to her flickering aura, circling around her trying to get a better look at the individual flames and how they move. No obvious source of fuel... and her attire doesn't seem to burn, but she's clearly producing plenty of heat. He scrambles to put his fascination into words. "How... When.. Does... Are... Huh.."

He closes his eyes for a moment to collect his thoughts. "Doesn't that make you hot?"

He winces as he realizes he managed to put together possibly the most idiotic sentence possible in response to what Sarah is showing him. Another familiar response of his.

He's about to make another run at coherent communication when he notices Bombshell starting to light up. Something about that glow chills him to where his bones used to be. He mouths a cuss he'd never say out loud, especially with ladies present. He swings his hand out toward the ground an in a split second a hemispherical wall of black/gray fungus has grown from his fingertips down to the floor and up overhead. The organic looking structure separating them from the rest of the chamber is overbuilt, with pillars and struts hanging down from overhead to provide additional support. It might be able to survive a bomb blast.

Mike peeks around the corner with an embarrassed grimace on his face, confirming what a moment's thought should have told him: Bombshell knows what she can do and has no desire to blow up her new friends.

"Sorry about that." He murmurs to Sarah. "I've, uh, been a little on edge these past few days."

That cold feeling doesn't quite leave him. He can't help but imagine what kind of damage an explosion like that would do up in the city...
__________________
Now I see bees I won.

Last edited by Phasmus; Mar 28th, 2024 at 08:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 11:15 AM
Drachenspirit's Avatar
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 34894
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Posts: 28,324
Where The Wind Blows
left-aligned image
Aleq listens to Bombshell's explanation of how something being taken is classified as wrong.

She can't help but smile, though she is able to keep her mouth closed to show no teeth. "Willingly. Hm. Good to know."

She stays out of range of anyone about to demonstrate what they are capable of and simply watches. She's partly in awe and also thinking of how she could add to these abilities with her ability to somewhat control the wind and air.

__________________
Posting Status: On Track - If a post is needed from me either as a DM/GM or a player, please PM me.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old Mar 30th, 2024, 09:29 PM
Boss Nadar's Avatar
Boss Nadar Boss Nadar is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 28th, 2024
RPXP: 3164
Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar Boss Nadar
Posts: 697
The Futurist Safe House, April 1957
right-aligned image
Clockwise from top left: Masque, Futurist, Sarah Beem, Hyde
Aleqasina Smith, Michael Oldman, Vincent Santoni, Farrah Marshall
There is indeed a small viewing chamber on the north wall, with several reinforced glass panes looking out onto the larger testing area. Maque raises an eyebrow at Farrah's request but otherwise nods to show her consent. Sarah blushes slightly at Bombshell's encouragement, but her flames only seem to grow more intense. Sarah giggles softly at Mike's stammered comment, but answers it as best she can. "It's certainly warm, but it feels more like a hot day at the beach rather than, you know, being literally on fire."

"Up the stairs. First door on the left," Masque answers to Vinny, "take your pick of any of the machines up there, and bring them down. Then we'll set you up something of a demolition der-" She stops midsentence as she notices Bombshell getting ready to cut loose. "Oh, you might want to come with me a moment. You too, Tornado." She quickly steps into the viewing room, and has her hand up even before the bright lights fill the chamber. While the structure was clearly well built to survive a blast, even it can't completely contain the energy in the burst, and a shockwave of compressed air bursts outwards, kicking up a storm of dust into the air. The shockwave is large enough even to tussle the hair of Sarah on the other side of the crucible, or at least it would had Mike's emergency structure not created a barrier between them. The organic creation catches Sarah off guard, who steps back defensively. Once the initial shock wears off, Sarah's expression turns to one of awe as she realizes its source. "Did you... do this?" She asks, "That was like, two seconds!"

With the show finished, Masque steps out from the viewing room and gives Bombshell an enthusiastic golf clap. "That was quite the demonstration! Futurist's going to be quite upset when he learns what he just missed. What about you, Tornado? Don't feel like sharing today?"

OoCFrom what I can tell, untapped potential is a copy/paste error from 2nd edition. In second edition, extra effort granted +2 to the power rank and untapped potential increased it to +3. in 3rd its been reduced to +1, so untapped potential should only bring it up to +2, not +3. That said, I'm okay with that feat being taken multiple times (within reason), so if you want to take a second rank of it when you get some power points, you can. Also, not sure if you missed it, but the Futurist left to go talk to Hyde upstairs.

__________________
GM of Gods and Tyrants and Pandora's Door
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 03:11 PM
Drachenspirit's Avatar
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 12th, 2024
RPXP: 34894
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Posts: 28,324
Where The Wind Blows
left-aligned image
Aleq smiles and gives a short clap along with Masque at Bombshell's demonstration.

She turns to look at Masque when asked about sharing and replies, "It will be hard to show what I can do if there's nothing for me to move or blow about.
So far, I've learned to lift and move myself about at roughly twice the speed of someone running. I can spin air around myself to create a sort of wall to protect me from anything coming at me.

I can direct a blast of wind in a focused angle away from me to hit like a wall of air out to several hundred feet and even adjust that in a sustained blowing of wind with enough force to move a decent sized car, around a hundred miles an hour if I'm guessing right.
I can also release that wind in a blast away from me in every direction with the same force out to like thirty feet. But my favorite thing I learned is out to one to two hundred feet, I can direct and control a blast of uplifting wind to catch any one who's falling and, anything that weighs about the same as a heavy car.

I can fly around, protect myself with a wall of air and do at least one of the strong blasts of wind I just spoke about at once. But those strong blasts and control of wind take a lot of concentration on my part, so I can only do one of those at a time, along with flying and the wind wall around me."


__________________
Posting Status: On Track - If a post is needed from me either as a DM/GM or a player, please PM me.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Mar 31st, 2024 at 03:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 02:24 AM
Rockerboy's Avatar
Rockerboy Rockerboy is offline
very preem, choom
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 2nd, 2024
RPXP: 2902
Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy
Posts: 875
Vincent "Vinny" Santoni
right-aligned image
Vinny gave a nod to Masque, as she gave him directions to where the heavy equipment was, and the metallic man started on his way. Up the stairs, first door on the left, and Vinny stood in something of a storage space.

"Alright, somethin' heavy, somethin' heavy..."

The man looked across the various objects, absently grabbing corners and lifting some. When he found a solid and weighty piece of equipment, Vinny grunted and lifted the thing, before he started to walk it back to the stairs and down to the testing area.

"Here we go." Vinny said as he lowered the equipment to the ground and gave a grin. "No idea what it is, but here it is."
__________________
GMing:
Star Wars | X-Men | Ronin
Update: RL work commitments have resulted in temp greater workload, so posting/GMing is iffy til mid-June - sorry!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:24 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2024, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB