Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > PbtA > You Can't Pay Debts With Hell Money
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jan 19th, 2024, 09:09 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12959
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Yun
right-aligned image

Yun watched the puff ball chomp down on Mah Guo's finger, a small, implied wince registering in their body language as the android leaned in for a closer look.

"You uh... might want to put some disinfectant on that or something. We don't know where this thing's mouth has been." They shrugged, returning attention to the message shortly before being scolded for invading the privacy of another person's device. Apparently Yun had not been taught everything about basic manners yet either. "Ah, sorry sorry." It was a mostly genuine, if slightly lackluster apology.

Yun made to put some distance between them all as discussion of going to the aforementioned lab resumed. It seemed like that was the agreed upon best next move... whether or not the little purple prisoner would be accompanying was up to the others, but Mah Guo seemed to really like the idea, and Yun failed to see any real way it could hurt things. However, the first order of business seemed to be tying up a loose thread, and just as quickly as Mah Guo had urged Yun away from her datapad, the woman requested them to send a reply to one of the interested parties she'd been in contact with. Nodding, the pilot plodded forward and swiped up the device, switching over to the specific DM in question.

"Hmm..." Reading over the brief discussion, they thought about a response. After a moment of contemplation, Yun's metal thumbs began to tap away at the letters, firing off a quick series of messages.

Message to GARYATRICTHE FOOT OF THE SOUTH SUN: This is the "Furball". I have escaped and murdered the owner of this device.

THE FOOT OF THE SOUTH SUN: My brethren and I are operating the keyboard. We are smart, dangerous, and on our way.

THE FOOT OF THE SOUTH SUN: We will learn how to pilot a ship and we will find you. You will be made to serve as OUR pet for your hubris.

THE FOOT OF THE SOUTH SUN: None shall stop the conquest of the Fuzzlords.

Following up the last message with thirty or forty explosion emojis, Yun finally closed messages and set the device back down.

"All set. Now when can we go to this lab?"
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 04:09 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1790
SevenStones SevenStones SevenStones SevenStones SevenStones SevenStones SevenStones SevenStones SevenStones SevenStones SevenStones
Fan Ning
right-aligned image
Fan Ning is midway to reaching out to take the little fuzzball away from Mah Guo on account of, you know, the biting and such, when she pleads her case for keeping the little thing.

As a result, he ends up frozen in position with leaning forward with his arms outstretched as though he'd been hit by the ice-ray from Stellar Pirates of the Gelid Moons of Xue-7, his favorite serial (so it's a kid's show, all right, there's nothing wrong with that is there?). He glances around with only his eyes, then melts into a little more natural pose. Embarrassed? A little. Relieved that Mah Guo isn't hurt? A little. Worried that she's been infected with some degenerative fuzzball-transmitted disease? A little more. Worry is what he does.

"Er... I'm ready now?" he offers in response to Yun. And then clasps his hands behind his back, schoolboy-style.
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 02:33 PM
Floof (he/they)
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7504
Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen
Field trip!CATLOVER84 winces as Xiao Niao bites Mah Guo's finger, then relaxes a bit as she takes the injury in stride. When Mah Guo suggests that they take him along when they visit the lab, however, CATLOVER84 tenses up again. "No! Uh, I mean..." they tap their fingers together. "Maybe you should leave him here? In case seeing him makes the researcher clam up? We wouldn't want him getting loose somewhere else and spreading the problem, would we?" Their eyes bounce from Xiao Niao to Mah Guo and back.

Meanwhile, there's a lot of typing and erasing happening on Mah Guo's phone before Yun finally sees a response:
Message to THE FOOT OF THE SOUTH SUNGARYATRIC: oh sure make fun of me everyone else does

GARYATRIC: mock a golden citizen trying to fund his retirement

GARYATRIC: go fly kite

The lab is not far from the manor grounds, a squat, unadorned building. It's also an unlocked building, so nothing stops the crew from dropping in on Mei Mei unannounced. The lab itself is an utter mess. Empty takeout containers are stacked haphazardly next to cardboard planters where sesame plants and other flowers are growing. Papers are strewn everywhere, such that you might think the place has been ransacked, except burglars aren't known for using crushed energy drink cans as paperweights. Either a disaster has been visited on this place recently, or Mei Mei is hoping for the next accidental breakthrough in antibiotics.

"Hello?" Mei Mei herself enters the room, hair pulling out of her bun in an least five different directions, her already comically large eyes magnified by what must be the largest, thickest pair of glasses you've ever seen. One hand is sitting in the pocket of her rumpled lab coat while the other is clutching a mug with "I hope this is coffee" written on the side. From somewhere in the next room, you hear what sounds like a very peeved feline.
OOCI'm advancing the timeline two steps for exploring the mansion and heading to the lab.
Time 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 X
Event X X A B C
Fee Modifier +2 +1 +0 -1 -2

Last edited by Kaigen; Feb 8th, 2024 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Adding OOC note
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 10:40 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12959
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Yun
right-aligned image

Yun gave CATLOVER84 a long look. Without the benefit of facial expressions to read, it would probably have been difficult to determine the exact nature of what the droid was thinking, but it was safe to say they'd picked up something about the odd resistance CATLOVER84 was putting up against the notion of taking the imprisoned puffball back to its potential source.

"..." Ultimately though, they said nothing. The clock was ticking, and the employer called the shots. Good idea? Bad idea? Not really for Yun to say. And if the others weren't going to put up a fight about it, the pilot certainly had no reason to.

With a small wave, Yun exited the mansion, walking alongside the others as they made for the lab.

The walk to their new lead was a relatively short one, though it left enough time for some healthy speculation and conversing over any potentially shared suspicions.

- SUBJECT: CATLOVER84. SUBJECT DISPLAYED EVASIVE BEHAVIOR. ARGUMENT LOGIC FLAWED. BODY LANGUAGE CLASSIFICATION: NERVOUS. SUSPICIOUS. SUSPICIOUS. SUSPICIOUS. SUSP-

"Did you guys think our employer was acting kinda weird? Like... if some mad scientist cooked up a new super pest in their lab by accident and it got out, why would waving the evidence in their face make them LESS likely to talk? Feels like they'd be desperate to spin the narrative at least. The thing about it accidentally getting out was maybe a little feasible, but..." Yun shrugged. "... I don't know. I don't have any theories or anything. Just seemed strange."

Before long, the group found themselves entering a rather plain-looking building. Yun wouldn't have admitted it, but they were a tad disappointed at not having to break in, finding nothing in their way but a few unlocked doors before entering the actual lab. It was, to put it mildly, a disaster area.

"Huh." Yun looked around, genuinely impressed that anyone could get any science done in a pigsty like this. "Wow, Mah Guo, I think we actually found a room messier than yours." The deadpan tone sold Yun's comment in a slightly more cynical manner than intended, and Yun quickly followed it with a couple of shoulder pats. "Joking."

- FALSE.

"Ah, yes, hi." Yun quickly greeted the incredibly disheveled woman, giving a little half-wave as they stepped forward. "We represent an... aggrieved party who is looking for some information on a bit of a pest control issue. Would you happen to know anything about a bunch of little purple creatures? Natural diggers. Real fluffy. Multiply when they eat anything except sesame paste. Ring any bells?"

Yun had broken into a casual stroll at this point, slowly circling the room while appearing to keep focus on the scientist. Even as they peppered the woman with questions, the droid's sensors were meticulously combing the room, searching amongst the debris for any signs of relevant intel unintentionally left out. They thought if they got lucky that they might see an incriminating document; maybe some diagrams.

But as Yun’s steps gave them a momentary view into the room beyond, they certainly did NOT expect to see the owner of the irritated meowing from moments ago, a cat… sporting fur the exact same shade of purple as the fuzzy terrors.

"… and just a heads up, but judging by the, uh, hue of your cat, I’m afraid “no” is gonna generate some major skepticism."
Rolls & ActionsYun is going to try and subtly look for evidence around the room regarding the purple fuzzballs in case the scientist isn't immediately forthcoming.

Dice Scavenge:
2d6 1, 6 Total = 7

Last edited by Touketsu; Feb 11th, 2024 at 11:16 AM.
Old May 29th, 2024, 10:57 PM
Your Local Bi Cryptid

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21247
Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund
Mah Guo
right-aligned image
"You think CATLOVER84 was lying to us? After all we’ve been through together?" gasped Mah Guo, stunned by this horrible reality that this stranger-now-friend would betray them so callously. Mah Guo could only shake her head in disbelief. "It must be a misunderstanding of some kind. Maybe they were afraid Pork Bun would get anxious being back in the lab? I’ve watched enough monster movies to know that sort of thing is triggering for man’s scientific creations!"

Yeah! YEAH! She was onto something! She could feel it! "CATLOVER84 would never, ever do anything shady like that. We have to believe in the good in their heart, like White Dragon would do." Mah Guo paused. "At least White Dragon from Celestial Warriors Ultimate Radiance 1 thru 4. We DON’T talk about Celestial Warriors Ultimate Radiance 5."

Mah Guo huffed, stomping over a bush that separated CATLOVER84’s yard and the mad scientist’s. "They butchered my boy, Yun! Buuutchered hiiiim! Aiiiiya!"

~~~

One nerdy diatribe later, and the group had arrived in the mad scientist’s secret base. And honestly, Yun was right. It didn’t look all that different from Mah Guo’s room!

"Oooh! She had Yum-Yum King! We should sooo get that on our way home," said Mah Guo, picking up a moldy takeout container with her bare hands. Such bravery leaning towards stupid when she leaned in to give the container a good whiff, and immediately, gagged. "Aiiiiya. Fan Ning, you need to smell this! It smells EXACTLY like that knitted sweater we found in the maintenance shaft! Try it!" Shoving the container excitedly into his face, Mah Guo froze when Mei Mei finally appeared.

Straightening up and out, Mah Guo put on her best and biggest smile as Yun gave a very cool, very secretive run down of their job. "Exactly that! We’re investigators! I am Mah Guo!" she offered her hand, which looked like it could crush a coconut from a mere twitch of her fingers. "Is it true you are a mad scientist? What’s that like? Have you ever had your creations turn on you? Are all mad scientists into cloning or is that just an introductory course for the career?"

Yun cut in with their questions next, and honestly, Mah Guo was impressed by their sleuthing. She hadn’t even noticed the cats! OR THE PURPLE FUR!

"Yun." Mah Guo’s eyes sparkled. "You are so cool."

Last edited by Strangemund; May 30th, 2024 at 09:17 AM.
Old May 30th, 2024, 04:38 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1790
SevenStones SevenStones SevenStones SevenStones SevenStones SevenStones SevenStones SevenStones SevenStones SevenStones SevenStones
Fan Ning
right-aligned image
The mess of the room really only brings one thing to Fan Ning's mind: the sorry state of Chang'e's shrine, and that sends a shiver of nervous worry through his massive frame. It's hard not to take a closer look at the mess, some latent archaeological bent coming to life as he pushes a few of the papers around, reading a few, peering closely at labels on discarded food containers and the like.

When Mei Mei comes into the room though, he straightens up almost comically.

Nope, nothing to see here! I wasn't rummaging through your garbage, not at all! I'll just see myself out, shall I?

Instead, he comes to stand behind Yun and Mah Guo in a fashion that would suggest he's a bodyguard, if it weren't for the sheepish, half-apologetic smile quivering on his lips and the schoolboy posture he takes, back straight and hands folded behind his back. As his crewmates speak, drawing Mei Mei's attention, he decides to risk another look -- only looking, no snooping! -- around the room for anything else of particular interest.

Last edited by SevenStones; May 30th, 2024 at 04:39 PM.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 10:42 AM
Floof (he/they)
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7504
Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen
Another day at the labMei Mei's eyes widen to comically bug-eyed proportions through the lenses of her glasses as she grapples with the one-two punch of "suspicious android" and "earnest herbo." She tries to grab takeout containers and hide papers at the same time, succeeding only in crumpling things to her chest like she's fashioning a protective trash vest. "I— Who— What—"

In her state of bemusement and distraction, Mei Mei misses the tell-tale signs of agitation in her purple cat: ears telescoping backwards, low posture, the subtle warning grumble of the fury engine spinning up. The cat leaps through the air like lightning punctuated by a cry of "Sesame, no!" as he unerringly zeroes in on Yun's head. The lack of soft, scratchable flesh thereon then leads to the panicked scrabbling of claws on metal as he fights for purchase, over balancing one way and then another. Mei Mei waves her arms ineffectually, caught between the obligation to try to restrain her charge and the absolute unwillingness to risk being clawed herself.

"Bad cat!" Mei Mei cries. "You're in so much trouble, mister!" she scolds. "This is all your fault in the first place!" she self-incriminates.

In the midst of this chaos, a notification of an urgent incoming message from Chang'e frantically pings everyone's CorComs.HELP! They're here! Inside me! Get them out get them ou— The call is cut off.
OOCYun does not suffer any immediate Stress from Sesame's assault, but it will be a Struggle to remove him forcefully.
Time 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 X
Event X X A B C
Fee Modifier +2 +1 +0 -1 -2
[
Old Jun 8th, 2024, 11:00 PM
Your Local Bi Cryptid

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21247
Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund
Mah Guo
right-aligned image
The Wrath of the Herbo
"His name is Sesame? That’s SOOOO CUUUUUTE--"

MROW! HISS!

Mah Guo’s eyes widened to the size of saucers at the sudden cat-on-android violence. She gasped. She winced. She wondered if the Laws of Robotics covered this sort of thing. But mostly, she just stood by and watched. "OH! OH NO! OH WOW! He’s really digging in! Do you--do you need help? Yun? Hey Yun? Can you hear me under there?" The answer was no. But only because Mah Guo couldn’t hear Yun while Sesame hissed and mrow’d and clinked-clacked his claws on their gorgeous chrome plate.

And worst yet, Sesame didn’t care at all about poor Mei Mei’s orders.

You hate to see that sort of thing. A son ignoring his mother’s best wishes. She’d shed a tear in solidarity with Mei Mei if it weren’t for the fact that it was more important than ever for Mah Guo to step in, and be a hero.

That sweet playfulness of Mah Guo was gone in an instant and what took its place was, without a doubt, Sesame’s worst nightmare. A hand bigger than Sesame’s whole body grabbed him right by the scruff of his neck, and with startling power, yanked him right off of Yun’s face before he could even find purchase again.

And sure, claws and fangs could’ve turned on Mah Guo for her interference. But that was alright, for it was a tigress who took every blow. As Mah Guo hefted Sesame aloft, out of reach of everyone but her, and growled. "BAD BOY! NO TREATS!"

OOCI got an 8 on my Struggle roll to remove Sesame from Yun! I chose Hold Sesame, and will mark that point of Stress.