Notices

Old 10-11-2019, 01:59 PM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16368
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
The dice hate me

Hopefully that will provide a distraction - if not Emdal's beatings might.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:26 PM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16210
phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar
Just noting that I dropped an inspiration die on Emdal, don't want that to get lost.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:28 PM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
Greatly appreciated! - especially with my rolls

I'm marking it on my sheet so I won't forget~
Old 10-13-2019, 10:39 PM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 57608
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Planning on posting by Wednesday, in case anyone else wants to get anything in. May do it tomorrow for funsies.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:16 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1733
Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl
I’ll be getting a post up tonight! Had the father-in-law move in with us suddenly and unexpectedly last week. Working to accommodate this change has has been a bit of a curveball in terms of free time as well as access to our PC.
”Distilling is beautiful. First of all, because it is a slow, philosophic, and silent occupation, which keeps you busy but gives you time to think of other things, somewhat like riding a bike.” -Primo Levi, The Periodic Table
Old 10-15-2019, 12:27 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11019
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Traveling today. I hope to get a post in late tonight but if I'm too late for the Sass update, I'll be ready to jump in to the next round. Sorry for the absence.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:36 PM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
No problems one and all! Also that is a strange and unexpected change to have to make. I can only pray my father never moves in with us. Father-in-law, though, I'm totally game, he's great.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:24 PM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8006
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
Apologies for this life update, guys. Unfortunately, life has been all kinds of hectic for me since early December and sadly none of it resolving quickly as I would like.

I've held onto games as long as I possibly could, but I think I need to step away from a number of games for the time being.

I apologize, and thank you Sass for a terrific and terrifying game so far! Sorry to miss it, but have fun trying to escape (if it's possible without dying to an Ooze!)

I took the Oath of Sangus
Old 06-16-2020, 03:42 PM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
I've been trying to post this for two days, but c'est la vie.

1.) Level your asses up. PCs (past and present) get a full level up; everyone else should take their first level in a class of your choosing. Meaning, Rollo and Aurgus level up like normal, but Ront, Shuushar, etc. take their first level. Shuushar is a special case given his race, which I will be happy to discuss (or just use Triton?). Leave me notes about the new capabilities of your PCs
2.) Chapter 2, and much of the remainder of the adventure, are sandboxes that involve lots of travel in tight, cramp spaces. The goal of the game is survival, more than madness, and we will not be entering the survival portion of the game. That means finding food, fresh water, keeping everyone alive, traveling at quickened paces, etc. There are official rules for this, so we will now go into that.

How hard do we want to make this? I do want to emphasize the survival aspect of this and want to make us focus on that a bit, but I don't want it to become mechanically burdensome. A lot of the adventure is also adapting to an alien world, so let's get into that.

From the book:
"Travel pace in the Underdark is significantly slower than for overland travel. Not only are the tunnels and passages often difficult terrain with uneven surfaces, but routes in the Underdark are rarely direct, and the characters must follow available passages and their various twists and turns, climbs and descents. Creatures that can burrow through solid rock (such as purple worms) move at their normal burrowing speed, but this isn't likely an option for the party.

Fast-8 miles per day, -5 penalty to passive Perception scores, no foraging
Normal-6 miles per day
Slow-4 miles per day, Improved foraging or able to use Stealth while traveling

A fast pace makes it harder to spot ambushes or items of interest and prevents the characters from foraging, while a slow pace allows the characters to travel stealthily enough to surprise or sneak past creatures they encounter, and improves their chances of successful foraging for food and water."

We need to indicate what we do each day with regards to speed. We also need to indicate a marching order, which can change per day and can involve scouting. At times, marching order will be 1-2 people per line, so we'll need that.

Then there's Navigating, Mapping, and Foraging. Quotes from the book:
Navigating: "Becoming lost is a serious risk in the twisting tunnels of the Underdark, and travelers can wander in circles without knowing it. Creatures unfamiliar with a given region of the Underdark are automatically lost, wandering in a random direction for every 4 hours of travel until they encounter an area they are familiar with (which could be a very long time).

Even creatures that know the routes of the Underdark aren't immune. For each day of travel, and any time the characters set out again after finishing a short or long rest, the party's navigator makes a DC 10 Wisdom (Survival) check. If the party is moving at a slow pace, the navigator gains a +5 bonus to the check, while a fast pace imposes a -5 penalty. A failed check result means the characters become lost, wandering in a random direction for 1d6 hours before the navigator can make a new check to find the right path."

Mapping: "A character not focused on any other task-including watching for danger while traveling-can record the group's progress through the Underdark and create a map of the route. Such a map can be a useful resource in later chapters of the adventure when the characters retrace their steps. Having a map allows the party to navigate that area without any chance of becoming lost."

Fraoging: "Unless they obtain a supply of food and water, the adventurers must forage to survive on their journey. Finding sustenance in the Underdark is difficult but not impossible. Characters can gather food and water if the party travels at a normal or slow pace. A foraging character makes a Wisdom (Survival) check. The DC is typically 15, but might be as high as 20 in some parts of the Underdark. Food and water requirements for characters are described in chapter 8, "Adventuring," of the Player's Handbook.

In addition to foraging, spells such as create food and water and goodberry can help provision the party, and there's always a chance for the characters to encounter others from whom they can buy or steal provisions. Additionally, many creatures the adventurers might meet and kill can be butchered, but the meat they yield spoils after a single day if uneaten. Eating spoiled meat might require a Constitution saving throw to keep the meal down, a Wisdom saving throw to avoid acquiring a level of madness from the awful experience (see "Madness" later in this chapter), or both."

We need to consider sizes of food from creatures we kill:
Tiny-1 lb
Small-4 lbs
Medium-16 lbs
Large-32 lbs

Time-keeping, like map-making, is not something we need concern ourselves with except in context to other things. You don't have to do either. But we can also consider the potential uses of these. Also, Survival checks will be needed to see if something is edible or safe. Lots going on!

We have rolled for encounters already, I've got that planned out, so we're good there. What I need from you lot, in Discord, is to figure out travel speeds for the first day and I'll get us started on Chapter 2.

Go!
Old 06-16-2020, 10:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13105
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
I'm thinking that, on the first day, Isarrel would want to gtfo as fast as possible. She might be willing to slow down after there is some space between them and the hell hole they just left, but for now she'd be sprinting the f*ck out of there.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:54 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Yeah, I think fast movement makes sense even though we don't have food or water.

Re:Kuo Toa, triton adds a bunch of stuff that isn't very kuo toa-y.
I think the monster abilities are pretty equivalent to a character race:
Darkvision 120' (with sunlight sensitivity)
Amphibious (breathe air and water, swim speed 30')
Otherworldly Perception. The kuo-toa can sense the presence of any creature within 30 feet of it that is invisible or on the Ethereal Plane. It can pinpoint such a creature that is moving. (This one could be dropped with maybe just perception skill?)
Slippery. The kuo-toa has advantage on ability checks and saving throws made to escape a grapple.
Languages: Undercommon
Based on stats, I'd say +2 str and +1 to Con or Int. (Shuushar would choose Int.)

Or if you want to go with a standard race, I think Sea Elf may fit better.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:05 PM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
Seems legit to me. Go for it.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:21 PM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
Emdal will be all for charging ahead and would likely be leading the charge. Who knew, all it would take was mortal danger for an introvert to come out of his shell.

Aurgus will probably be the one guiding Laudan, I'm pretty sure he has a silk rope; would definitely use that to guide her with as they're booking it.

Once we feel we're a decent distance to pause Emdal is immediately going to start foraging for food/water. Survive!~
Old 06-22-2020, 02:29 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Oh, since we leveled before stopping to rest, Laudan has Devil Sight now, so I think we all have darkvision or better.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:33 PM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
Time for Sass to throw around that magical darkness and show a large party of DV users true fear