Closed Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 412
Lughaidh Lughaidh Lughaidh Lughaidh Lughaidh
Posting Etiquette

I mainly wanted to ask about frequency of posts, but I figured I would open up the thread to other sage points on posting. This might be something that just needs to be played by ear, but how often is OK to post in a thread? Obviously you don't want to post immediately after your own post, but should you wait for every other player and the DM to post before adding to the story again? Combat has explicit rules for this kind of thing, obviously, so my question is more for outside of combat.

I remember reading something on this subject, but couldn't find it. If someone has a link to guidelines for posting, that would be appreciated.
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 11:29 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 104
Ariawyn Ariawyn
Greetings and good morrow Lughaidh,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lughaidh View Post
I mainly wanted to ask about frequency of posts, but I figured I would open up the thread to other sage points on posting. This might be something that just needs to be played by ear, but how often is OK to post in a thread?
My first thought in answer to your question would be "that should be a DM decision" for their particular game.

I really like my players to role play their characters, so I would encourage as much in character chat/banter et al as they wish (outside combat, of course), so long as it didn't degenerate into a "uh-ahh" and "uh hah" volley ! That being said, it -=is=- polite (look there - my Canadian is showing) to allow other players to interject their comments in a chat session too, so giving a bit of time for others to answer would be nice.

That kind of puts us back to being game specific and could be dependent on time zones of players. One of the things we did in BBS days (yup, went there) was to have an ICC (in character chat) thread as well as dedicating part of the post as a time stamp; so top corner of post would be (characters present), (place), (approx time/day). If there was a delay in technology, we could still get people taking part in the chat and then the DM would fix any out of time syncing and post the "official post" of the correctly ordered chat since the last post before each new Turn. Sounds far more complicated than it is . I am new to this community, but if available to me, I think I would do so here too.

Other DMs may be crunched for time and prefer to keep their games more restricted to necessary chat so novella would be irrelevant to them.

With a smile,
Ariawyn
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Munrab
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27402
RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab RedRab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariawyn Ernan View Post
My first thought in answer to your question would be "that should be a DM decision" for their particular game.
That about sums it up.

-When you advertise for your game to recruit players, be very specific about your posting rate and stick to it.
-Be clear about how you will handle the various situations when you are waiting for a player to post but they don't (e.g. in combat, in some other procedural scene, in a dramatic scene, etc.) and stick to it.
-Be flexible when you decide all this at the outset. From one week to another your own posting and the posting rate of your players will vary greatly. I know mine does.

Last edited by RedRab; Oct 30th, 2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88157
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
as always, it depends on the game, and the flow, and what's happening. I've had growth/development conversations, between a couple PC's, while we wait for others to post. It can work well, and add a lot to the game.

As you mention, during combat, you tend to post once in a round-robin. Outside combat, it's more open to posting as needed.
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 412
Lughaidh Lughaidh Lughaidh Lughaidh Lughaidh
My fear is dominating a conversation or moving the conversation along before others have had an opportunity to contribute.
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88157
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Your DM and others can moderate you.

As a DM, for example, I have secreted text from a couple players that were chatting, and taking the game away from the others. A quick note to them to let them know the posts were just being held until others could respond was enough.