Attempting to make a character for the first time, did I do attack/damage right? - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Gaming Advice > Player Support
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Beleaguered Human

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 152
breathlessblizz breathlessblizz
Attempting to make a character for the first time, did I do attack/damage right?

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=73352

This is a pretty run-of-the-mill fighter mountain dwarf named Urist McDwarf (props if you know what I'm referencing ). I rolled with dice at home BTW, 4d6 dropping the lowest.

I'm specifically a little unsure if I did weapon attack and damage modifiers right. Could anyone verify these real quick?
  • Attack bonus is proficiency + strength modifier, right? with STR 18 and proficiency 2, that should add up to 6?
  • Damage is only modified by strength, not by proficiency? (+4) What about unarmed blows? Does that give me a guaranteed 1+4 damage on hit?
  • Do I seriously have 19AC already? (16 chainmail + 2 shield + 1 from class) That only gives enemies a 5% percent chance to hit me at lvl1?
Anyone who reads this, thank you so much!

Last edited by breathlessblizz; Dec 24th, 2017 at 03:14 PM. Reason: explained AC
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 04:26 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 250
FancyBattleMan FancyBattleMan FancyBattleMan
Hey Breathless, you have done all of your combat information correctly. Good job!
Mr. McDwarf will be a real bruiser. If I have to meet him on the battlefield, I hope he's on my side.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 05:40 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 40802
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
I agree, your calculations look good, which is often the hardest part to pick up on. That's great, welcome to the game! I thought I'd add a few nit-pickier comments, so that you can really hit the ground running.

- It's not great to pre-roll stats, IMHO. Most GMs will want the standard array, and those who roll will want to see the rolls in a public thread. A stat of 18 at level 1 is pretty unusual.

- your gold is high. You usually get a bunch of gold, OR standard starting equipment, but not both.

- you shouldn't say your chain has an AC of 17. It should be 16, and then up at the top of the sheet, you can add your fighting style buff as an "other" bonus.

- it's not true that you only have a 5% chance of being hit. Even the weakest monster adds a proficiency bonus to their attacks (+2 at the bottom of the scale). Many monsters considered cannon fodder like goblins or kobolds will also have positive stat mods, just like you. So you'll be fighting things with +3 to +5 to hit bonuses. So you'll be more in the range of a 25% likelihood of being hit. Still, 19 AC at level 1 is about as good as it gets - you will indeed be tough to hit.

I hope that helps. It looks like you're more than ready to jump into a game.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 06:11 PM
Beleaguered Human

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 152
breathlessblizz breathlessblizz
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyBattleMan
you have done all of your combat information correctly
Hey, that's awesome to hear. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynamoinen
Most GMs will want the standard array, and those who roll will want to see the rolls in a public thread.
If I ever use this in a campaign, I'll definitely redo stats using whatever the GM decides. I just pulled up an online diceroller to speed up the process, I'm treating this character as a "do I know how to do this properly" test. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynamoinen
your gold is high. You usually get a bunch of gold, OR standard starting equipment, but not both.
I'm assuming that means I start with a total 15GP from my background, and it's implied that whatever gold I had before was used to buy equipment.

Thanks for the advice!
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 06:17 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 40802
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
That's right, gold from your background would effectively be your starting spending money. Until you start murdering monsters and taking their property, of course .