Making a monstrous player character in 3.5e and 5e - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Gaming Advice > Player Support
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 10:12 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
rared rared
Making a monstrous player character in 3.5e and 5e

Hi everyone,
Last time I had intended to play 3.5e offline, it was going to be a campaign with monstrous players. I was pretty stoked to be a harpy bard! Unfortunately, the game fell through.

However, I'm still interested in trying that character, eventually. I've tried to recreate the character on the site here - it should be a public sheet, the charname is Eglint.

I tried to match the player level of 10 from the game-that-wasn't. However, I'm really not sure how mixing and matching class and creature levels works.

It looks like harpy is a Level Adjustment of 3, so is my understanding you could be at minimum a 1 Harpy / 1 Something with an effective level of 5?

I'm also interested in learning how I'd make this work with 5e, if that's more someone's niche.

Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 05:00 PM
Artist & Warrior

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4663
roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt
I know there are rules for this in 3.5e, but not sure about 5e.

The SRD description of monsters as player races can be found here.

Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 06:55 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
rared rared
Thanks roninkelt, I am going to try and re-build from 1HD up using the linked SRD pages and see if I get similar values.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 07:42 PM
Artist & Warrior

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4663
roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt
Glad to help.

BTW - I didn't find anything on monsters as PC's in the 5e SRD.

Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 09:56 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88157
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
If an item (creature, template, race, etc.) has a listed level adjustment, the easiest way to think about it is to just subtract that from the PC's level.

If the Harpy has an LA of +3 (and no other adjustments, like monstrous hit die, etc.), they you could be a 7th level XYZ, as a 10th level PC. In other words, the first three levels of your class are Harpy, Harpy, Harpy, then Mage for 7 levels.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 01:08 PM
We're All Mad Here
Iron DM 2012  

Hall of Fame 2014

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20941
Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba
For 3.5, if you are still looking for this, here's how you would create a harpy with class levels for yourself:

Harpy for Reference.

Okay, Harpies have 7 HD of Monstrous Humanoid, which means you have 7 levels that give you the following:
7d8 Hit Die, granting 3 feats, and base saves of Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5, and a Base Atack Bonus of +7.
Racial Adjustments: +4 Dex, -4 Int, +2 Wis, +6 Cha (Not forgetting, you get +1 stat of your choice at that 4th Hit Dice)
Skills: (If you have questions on this, I'm going to have to show you a bunch of math.4+Int) Skills per HD, x4 at first HD.
Harpies treat Bluff, Intimidate, Listen, Perform, and Spot as class skills.
Harpies have a +4 Racial bonus to Listen and Bluff.
Harpies have +1 Natural Armor.
Harpies have Darkvision 60 ft.
Harpies have 2 claws that can be used as natural weapons. (1d3)
Harpies are proficient with Simple Weapons, and are not proficient with armor.
Harpies have a 20 ft move speed, and a fly speed of 80 ft (average).
Harpies have a +3 Level Adjustment.

Captivating Song (Su): See listed ability. Save DC is Cha based, making it DC (10+ 1/2 HD + Cha Modifier).

In summary, you basically start out the gate as a 10th level Harpy, making level 11 the first time you may take a class level.

Hope this all helps!

Cheers,
~Toba