Help! Is my application up to snuff? - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Gaming Advice > Player Support
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 06:21 PM
Why not Zoidberg?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1384
Statutory Plum Statutory Plum Statutory Plum Statutory Plum Statutory Plum Statutory Plum Statutory Plum Statutory Plum Statutory Plum Statutory Plum
Post Help! Is my application up to snuff?

OverviewWhile there is no sure fire way to ensure that your application will be accepted by GM's; This thread will aim to boost your applications potential.

This thread's aim is to give players advice on how to better their applications. Apps for 4e, 3.5, Pathfinder, Warhammer 40k, any and all game modes and types are accepted here. The main point is to help "flesh out" a character concept, as well as to give advice when it comes to specific builds

Please note: That I Or simply do not have the extra time tocannot answer any direct questions about the rules of the game you are applying for here, I can only give you a few pointers about feats, stats, and so on and how to maximize your characters potential.

Any questions regarding how feats spells and the like function for any particular class can be asked in the D&D Class discussion forums found here.

Rules
THE RULES

Please post your entire App IN A SEPARATE THREAD click the "create a new thread" option. Your threads name should be your characters name. then; just click edit, and then copy and paste your application to the thread you created. I recommend that you also LINK THE GAME YOU ARE APPLYING FOR, that way anyone with comments can look at the advertisement and better tailor their comments.

ExampleWhat I am looking for should look like this:

Final NoteI look forward to helping anyone and everyone who visits this thread, I would also say that should you have any comments for anyone who has posted an application feel free to leave them as well; or one eye should that be the casethe more pairs of eyes, the better.

Happy Gaming!
-Plum

Current work

Thank you so much for your support and patience everyone!!!

Last edited by Statutory Plum; Jul 3rd, 2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 06:22 PM
Iran-Contra what?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6474
OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth
This is a cool resource, I'll be happy to lend any advice I can as well.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 06:27 PM
Why not Zoidberg?

Tools
User Statistics
Statutory Plum Statutory Plum Statutory Plum Statutory Plum Statutory Plum Statutory Plum Statutory Plum Statutory Plum Statutory Plum Statutory Plum
@Ollie

Thanks It is awesome to have your expertise as a resource as well!

I should say that this thread welcomes any applicants for outplay, if they could use a pointer or two (I know I will...)

Last edited by Statutory Plum; Jul 2nd, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 06:56 PM
Ancient Azure Anathema

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22785
Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis
Hey, good idea. I'll chip in when I can as well. This post will add the thread to my notifications.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 07:25 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 692
Azord Azord Azord Azord Azord Azord
Will help! Just to set some rules, should we have each character a different post, to keep track of them? I also think we should ask posters to put new threads in [System] Title format (I'm not sure if we have access to tags) so those experienced with the relevant system would know where to chip in.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 07:29 PM
Artist & Warrior

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4663
roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt
I'm always willing to chip in and give advice. With a 75% acceptance rate for my applications I hope to have something useful to offer.

I'm also going to be applying to another game soon so will want some other eyes on my app.

Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 08:25 PM
Why not Zoidberg?

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azord View Post
Will help! Just to set some rules, should we have each character a different post, to keep track of them? I also think we should ask posters to put new threads in [System] Title format (I'm not sure if we have access to tags) so those experienced with the relevant system would know where to chip in.
Just post the application one post at a time. I think I will make two tables, one for apps currently being worked on, and a second for apps that have been completed (whether they were accepted or not is irrelevant, but if the apps close for a particular game then I assume the help you needed is no longer required.)

Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 08:32 PM
Killing PC's Since 2005

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31292
Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig
Agreed. Thanks to Plum for birthing this idea (and not just for outplay). Since I DM more than I play, I will be happy to chime in as needed or requested.

DiG
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 09:53 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
That will make this thread awefully long, and put a lot of responsibility on your shoulders, as well as waste the space available in the forum. But if that is how you want to do it, it was your idea. I'll start

This is a new world of darkness campaign, and my character's background seems woefully underwhelming. I'd like some inspiration, if you please.

Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 11:15 PM
Why not Zoidberg?

Tools
User Statistics
Link to the game Azord? it just makes it easier for me so I don't have to Digorig through the threads.

Comments will be up soon.

Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 11:18 PM
Iran-Contra what?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6474
OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth OllieNorth
Argh. Of course the first character is from a system I don't know. Well, I can help with the flavor at least.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 11:21 PM
Why not Zoidberg?

Tools
User Statistics
That was my plan as well Ollie

Oh well that is what I get for my non-discrimination policy.

Comments will be up shortly.

Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 11:34 PM
Why not Zoidberg?

Tools
User Statistics
Things I would add:

FirstA physical description, you say he is a gruff alcoholic that returned from hell? why not make him look like a pale skinny guy with a long wiry beard?

Or perhaps more of a biker look? I have no idea how the classes in WoD but he should reflect both his personality and his class, when I read the description I should be left thinking "If this guy isn't some kind of sleaze ball I will be impressed."

SecondI would expand on his personality, how is he in groups? what does he do when not drinking? He drinks because of the horrors he has seen, perhaps he is really combative or maybe a recluse. A personality doesn't only need to be a few lines it can be as long (if not longer) than a background. Just tell me how he would act in common situation (like going to the store, paying the rent and so on)

ThirdYou obviously are working on your background, I would say talk about his family. Who is he close to? who hates him and why? Dos Adam think himself above the law? how is he around former collegues, do they even know they exist?

Reading the advertisement you need a reason to be in KC, did he follow a clients case to Kansas City? Perhaps he just wanted to get lost and Kansas City was as good an option as any.

Well that is all I have for now, if you need more help just link to your post here and talk about certain weak spots that you feel exist I would be happy to address them

Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 11:35 PM
Artist & Warrior

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4663
roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt
Comments for this post. this is short since the app is short too.

My first reaction is that we've seen this character in fiction a hundred times- hero of countless noir detective pieces and protagonist of the largest urban fantasy seller. What makes him different, interesting? What is his conflict?

The DM is going to present him with a puzzle to solve - why will he get involved and stick with it to the bitter end?

Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 11:39 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Well, first, I should say he's already died once. His method of death will be a whole in character piece. But I will work on it. Game thread here