Is the Rogue the best class of all time? - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Gaming Advice > Player Support
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
BlaineSword BlaineSword
Is the Rogue the best class of all time?

Hello everyone. This is my big question. Is the Rogue the best class of all time?

Let the comments begin... (Have fun and don't get angry)
Old Sep 10th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34202
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Nope... depend on person personal taste, we all have a class that suit better our game style I think.

You might want to add which edition rules you talking about he he he

Last edited by MoonZar; Sep 10th, 2016 at 08:59 PM.
Old Sep 10th, 2016, 09:09 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 46712
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Best class you ask. Best at what? Certainly not the best caster, or best straight forward melee fighter.

Since you chose that class to ask about, I am guessing it is your personal favorite. So how about you defend your choice as to why it is the best?
Old Sep 10th, 2016, 11:19 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 52876
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineSword View Post
Hello everyone. This is my big question. Is the Rogue the best class of all time?
Yes. Why do you ask?

Last edited by Squeak; Sep 10th, 2016 at 11:20 PM.
Old Sep 10th, 2016, 11:53 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3701
Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco
Especially in D&D 5th Edition, I'd have to say No.

In earlier editions, the Rogue had particular functions. They were the sneaky types, the only ones who could find and disarm traps.

Now that those functions have become generalized (e.g. invest in Dex, be proficient in Investigation, Perception, and Thieves' Tools, etc), there really is no mechanical advantage to the Rogue. Other classes can be as sneaky and still put out much more combat output. The Ranger and the Druid can be better scouts. The Warlock and the Sorcerer can both be the Sneak and the Face.

But the Rogue does cater to a particular playstyle. The Fighter/Assassin Rogue is among my favorite builds. But it's still not the best class, in my opinion.
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 12:24 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88157
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Not in 3.5, or Pathfinder (although it is improved in Pathfinder).
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Just learning to lose.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6070
Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast

Yes. Yes she is.

“The last thing he ever said to me was, 'Just always be waiting for me, and then some night you will hear me crowing.”
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 02:32 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7012
Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar
Ima let you finish, Ima let you finish, but I think Rogue is the best class of all time. Of all time. lol

It's certainly the best at what it does. I'm playing some 5e lately, even with Criminal and other backgrounds that let you throw 'sneaky' skills and even thieve's tools onto non-rogue classes...you really miss elements like sneak attack and other things that define a real rogue. If you're going for a 'stealthy fighter,' something dex-based...you almost always want at least a few rogue levels in order to round-out the character. I'm thinking these days, that if you're wanting a dex-based character that is not a caster, rogue is the way to go. In my experience anyway.

So yeah, best all-time. If rogue is your thing.
Unless it's not your thing - in which case, not the best all-time.

Does that sound about right?
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 01:58 AM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6559
Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald
Rogues make terrible healers.
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 09:21 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7012
Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar
5e thief, fast hands, healer feat.

Cleric: But, I have a wand...
Thief: (pulls wand from pocket) Oh, you mean this?
Cleric: Hey, give that back!
Thief: It's okay, I've got it (Use Magic Device)...

Last edited by Geldar; Oct 4th, 2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 11:45 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88157
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldar View Post
5e thief, fast hands, healer feat.

Cleric: But, I have a wand...
Thief: (pulls wand from pocket) Oh, you mean this?
Cleric: Hey, give that back!
Thief: It's okay, I've got it (Use Magic Device)...
lol... I don't know 5e, but...

Cleric: Stealing, eh? Command SpellDrop.
Thief: Drops wand
Cleric: spellBlindness spellFlame strike. spellInsect Plague.

Granted, the thief gets some actions in there too...

But, as my grandfather would have said: "An idiot with scissors isn't a barber, just an idiot with scissors. "
Old May 10th, 2017, 12:16 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
limelikegreen
I've always played rogue-like characters in whatever game I play. Stealthy and sneak attacking is my bread and butter. I can't imagine playing any kind of game without that kind of game mechanic available to me. However, another player might love to run in and battle balls to the walls style. To each their own, but I definitely believe that the rogue has the best utility in the game if played correctly.

Last edited by limelikegreen; May 10th, 2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 02:11 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 726
PraetorGradivus PraetorGradivus PraetorGradivus PraetorGradivus PraetorGradivus PraetorGradivus PraetorGradivus
Hanse Shadowspawn is my favorite rogue...

If you're going to go thru the various editions...he's necessary 2e and earlier editions (rogues in general not Hanse in partculiar)... not so much later with all the class spamming wizards of the coast does just to sell splat books.

But the splat books did that to all the original archetypes: Cleric/Fighter/Mage/Thief.

So no, they're not the best; they're no even necessary anymore.

Last edited by PraetorGradivus; Jun 15th, 2017 at 02:32 AM.
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 01:18 PM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29047
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
They're certainly the coolest...but I'm biased from my online stuff.

It seems that rogues might have to work harder at stuff than other classes do, though that's up for debate. Fighters can slash n' bash, mages can finger wiggle, clerics can call upon the friggin' gods for help. Rogues have to actually be subtle.

That being said, it doesn't make them the best, per se. They just require a certain style of play, and a good sense of humor about things turning bad.
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 02:02 PM
The Moon's Mist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 202
Lunermist Lunermist Lunermist
In fifth edition Rogues are still the best for a stealth build, with double proficiency possible for 4 things, plus the fact that sneak attacks can crit, and they get Dexterity and Wisdom and Intelligence as save proficiency with the ability to half damage 1/round not to mention the fact that if dealing with a caster a rogue(assassin) is the best, cause you can "see" them if they are invisible dissapear with out magic probably beat them in Init so free crit with sneak attack oh and you can straight up take no damage from fireballs/Lightning bolts and other dex save spells. so Rogues aren't the best per-say but they are the ones who will be the scariest to face alone, unless you're a barbarian totem bear, I'll just resist the damage tyfm. and make you regret getting this close. but that's fine.
Closed Thread