Advice for keeping writing up to scratch/ checking - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Gaming Advice > Player Support
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3423
gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha
Advice for keeping writing up to scratch/ checking

Between dyslexia and You lose lots of less common but good descriptive words. Its strange you know a word you want exist but your mind just draws a blank living abroad my writing is plummeting fast. I was wondering if anyone could share some advice for correcting. Right now I normally give the a piece a couple of reads, days/ hours apart and different formats before posting. I also read a post backwards sentence by sentence normally right before submitting. Still though lots of errors are getting through.
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 02:19 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3701
Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco
You might try writing the "meat" (main content) of your post in a word-processing software like Word. That should provide you some spell-checking and thesaurus (synonyms) functionality, at least, just to keep your writing tidy. Then, copy-paste into RPGX for your other editing needs, if any are required.

Some daily practice might also help. Think of a particular event during your day, and write about what you'd have done differently in that event. The event doesn't even have to really relate to you - maybe you find yourself fascinated enough by an event you've watched/heard that it makes you want to write about it.
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 02:21 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 46712
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Do you use a browser with a built-in auto correct? Might not help for sentence structure as much as you'd like, but it could help minimize typos.

As for losing descriptive words due to living abroad, perhaps an online thesaurus, or investing in a small one you could pick up at a bookstore, might be useful.

Edited to add: Peachyco is part ninja, having "snuck in" and posted as I was working up my post.

Last edited by zevonian; Apr 16th, 2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old Apr 21st, 2017, 02:17 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 142
FurtiveZerg FurtiveZerg
Tell people that you are playing with ahead of time what your needs are. I share a few of your issues. Assure them that you aren't cheating when you need to edit and reedit your post. The world processor doesn't completely cut it for me.

Last edited by FurtiveZerg; Apr 21st, 2017 at 02:17 AM.
Old Apr 21st, 2017, 09:02 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88157
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
read, and practice.

I've found nothing better than reading to expand (or keep) a vocabulary, and practice. As noted below, write a paragraph each day, force yourself to journal, etc..
Old May 29th, 2017, 07:26 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Sendo
I have a similar problem, I'm not a native English speaker and while I write plain English fine (not without fault mind you) but I struggle adding flair, or old English.
I also struggle with writing in 3rd person, I use my character's name too much I need to find other ways to refer to my character. I have been reading other players posts but struggle applying what I see.
In any case I just started so I should progress to better writing/style.

Last edited by Sendo; May 29th, 2017 at 07:26 AM. Reason: correcting plain English :)
Old May 29th, 2017, 06:49 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88157
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Continually creating interesting "names" for your PC can be hard.

here are some tips... they may or may not work.

If possible, choose a character name that has a good nickname, or shorter version to it. That way, you can alternate between versions of the name.

extreme exampleI have a PC who's name is Natisse. Her short name is Nat, and her nickname, because she's small, and a bit annoying, is Gnat. In a pinch, I suspect I could even have her called Natty, if needed, but generally, having three "names" to choose from helps.

When possible, choose a race that isn't human. For some reason, saying a person is "human" is odd if you do it too often, but calling someone an elf, Elven, Sylvan, etc., works well. Even dwarf, gnome, etc., give you the option to write "the dwarf said" a time or two in a post, without worrying about it.

"Get out of there!," the dwarf said....
"Get out of there!," the human said.... (see, it reads funny)
"Get out of there!," the gnome said....

And, learn some synonyms for your class. The fighter looked up and down the hall. The warrior looked up and down the hall. The martialist looked up and down the hall. The soldier, guardsman, former guardsman, soldat, trooper, mercenary, champion, guardian, defender, bruiser...