Old Dec 3rd, 2023, 03:34 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 250
boo42v boo42v boo42v
Greetings

Hey just discovered this site.

I'm going to do the onboarding solo adventure first before playing any games by post, as there seem to be some mechanics I'm a little unfamiliar with and would like to ease myself in.

I've only played a bit ttrpg's and am still a little green in general but am looking forward to trying playing by post as I wanted a way of balancing curiosity and time.
Old Dec 3rd, 2023, 08:07 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88056
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
welcome!

Our sandbox is perfect for dipping a toe in, and working your way into gently. The solo game is great, but don't hesitate to begin applying for interesting games, as they can take weeks to fill (or go in days). Have fun, and happy gaming!
Old Dec 3rd, 2023, 11:55 AM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 70382
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Hi, boo42v, and welcome to the site!
Nothing wrong with being a little green, or a lot green! What type of specific games have you played and liked in the past? What character did you play?
Old Dec 3rd, 2023, 02:48 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 250
boo42v boo42v boo42v
Thanks for the greetings everyone.

A answer to what I've played is I DM a bit of 5E. I sucked with dialogue and roleplay of multiple npc characters started out strong in session one and two when I had modules and fizzled in three and four when we got to the open world. I however did make combat enjoyable appearntly and am working with one of the other players from that group to DM a homebrew dual campaign where she handles the roleplay and placing of monsters but leaves combat encounters and such to me. Like I design the dungeon,monsters but she does the monologue, placing rooms etc. We also will share a player character which will be traded off on as need be. We also made him very likely to die as his abilities drain his hp like a blood hunter but he's a barbarian. -Wip

I also have been a stress tested dungeons as a solo player. I played two characters and flat out got banned from cleric when I did join the player group. I am very comfortable with strategy games like XCOM, fire emblem etc. They wanted to test their dungeon to test for combat level for their group of four level 3. They let me use two level 5 characters a rogue who was mute and communicated in notes and a cleric slime who just said meat meat and who made silly reactions to things he ate and we allowed guidance to communicate images to others of his thoughts like a image of a chicken when asked what he wanted. Very combat heavy did great then I joined the group.

The cleric got banned after a single session as i joined the others to help cover for a missing player. we deleveled meat meat and despite playing him as a pacifist manged to kill a mini boss solo. I was abandoned by the other players when I was eaten by the giant ooze and used armor of Agatha to keep temp hp up and manged to kill it from the inside since suffocating was out manged by temp hp and widdled down the boss. (They let me use spells as it was slime in a slime so spell casting was allowed based on others in the group asking about it. I was prepared for a character death when they ran)The rest of the group were not used to rpgs at all and had never played so things like monsters where nerfed for more roleplay focused gameplay. soo beating a mini boss without hitting it. got me the honor of rerolling to create something weaker then a pacifist cleric. I rolled a fighter afterwards and did three more sessions with them before the group disbanded as people got new jobs and just didn't have a good time to meet. The group was really scared to utilize magic despite being warlocks and druids it was like a RPG player hoarding health potions just in case but then seeing the credits. it was a great group and I will remember the 30+ hours I did play as a quite alternative play style i didnt complete hate but was more like tutorial Island for any of the complex systems.

I will also note I am fascinated with vampire the masquerade but only read a bit of the source materials and never played.
Old Dec 3rd, 2023, 03:42 PM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 70382
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Well, a "meat meat" slime cleric is not what I expected for a beginner game! What a fun story!

I think you'll like play by post...it gives you a chance to think out your moves and reactions and even dialogue. I guess if you are playing a relatively non-verbal slime cleric, the dialogue isn't as important ... but you could become a master of meaning-with-punctuation. After all, there's a heck of a difference between "Meat? Meat!" and "Meat! Meat?"
Old Dec 3rd, 2023, 04:09 PM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17585
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Howdy boo42v,

A little green is our favorite color here! Okay, in truth my favorite colors are red and black and I have no idea what anyone else's favorite color is. This is a great site to learn about PbP however. We're all pretty friendly, well except for the Vampires and Ogres. What we will do is help wherever we can.

Tell us a bit more about yourself. How about genre, do you prefer high magic, low magic, high tech, horror, sci fi/future tech etc.? Do you have a favorite character class, race? I see you are a D&D 5e player. Well, that just happens to be our most popular game. It shouldn't be hard to find a game or three. Do you intend to try others and if so which one(s) are you going to try. Do you know how much wood a woodchuck chucks...if a woodchuck, could chuck wood?

There are a lot of choices for various RPG systems here, although PF and D&D are the two most common. We have quite a few games with very long legs here. In fact, I talk about one below. To start, you may want to check out a solo game. This will help you learn the site tools, since each site is a bit different.

As far as finding games goes, try here. This is where there are games seeking players. It can be a bit daunting but don't give up. It may take a few applications before you get accepted...but it's worth it once you're in. This is a great place to scratch your RPG itch and interact with some great DMs and players. There is some incredible role playing going on here. I thought I was a pretty good story teller, but I have been put to shame by the quality of many of the players...and I have learned a lot.

This is a place where the people are welcoming, where the games are interesting, and where generally they only expect you to post a few times a week. I've been playing D&D for a very long time and I thought I've seen it all, but this site has some amazing games going on. I've been playing (storytelling as much as rolling) for a few years now in a game that has been going on continuously for four decades, started tabletop and moved online two decades ago. It's set in an alternate Europe where the worlds of Tolkien and Howard existed in ages past. So there is a hint of LOTR and a hint of Conan in it and since it's set in an alt Europe it somehow feels familiar.

This is just one example and there are other great campaigns on RPGX. You should take some time to "stroll around" the site and see if anything catches your eye.

I hope to see you around on the boards.
Old Dec 5th, 2023, 10:59 PM
Utterly flocked

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23773
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Welcome to the site! How have you been settling in?
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 11:32 AM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35560
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Welcome to the RPG Crossing, boo42v! May you find that curiousity:time balance
Old Dec 11th, 2023, 05:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8989
Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus
Welcome, boo42v! I hope you're enjoying the site!
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 02:37 PM
Purrs & Roars

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10942
Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra
right-aligned image

‘Allo and Welcome boo42v!

Come on in and have a look around. There is a lot to see and do. Enjoy and have fun.