Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8710
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
Grim Hollow

Game NameGrim Hollow
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeStruggling to survive in a dying empire
Flavourdark, bleak, hopeless, horror, survival, mystery.

Plot SummaryYou awaken to a world of fear. The undead Ostoyan Empire’s vampire lords plot to spread their corruption from the east. The barbaric Valikan clans raid and pillage from the north. The fanatical arcanis inquisition of Castinella infiltrate from the south. The gods are dead, and rumors of a great beast that brings death and worse are whispered. Only a few hunters remain. Defenders of humanity against the horrors of the dark. Their numbers dwindle with every new moon. This world belongs to the darkness, and darkness will not give it up easily. You are a hunter, those who have taken it upon themselves to fight the monsters in order to protect the people. You are on your way to Black Hold, a relatively new town in the province of Unterland of the Bürach empire. The lord of Black Hold has summoned you to his town with the promise of gold, and possibly a home should you succeed in solving whatever issue is currently plaguing his people. It is the first step towards starting a new life, if you survive.

Welcome to Grim hollow. I am looking for 6-8 players to challenge the horrors of Etharis. Will you survive and become a flickering light of hope for the people, or become the very monsters you seek to destroy? Let’s find out together. This story will follow a group of hunters protecting a fledgling town and helping it grow as they grow alongside it while weathering the horrors that threaten both.

Accepted sources: players hand book, xanathars guide to everything, tasha’s cauldron of everything, van rictons guide to ravenloft, grim hollows players guide, Eberon rising from the last war.

House rules
Dark inspiration. There are dark and mysterious forces at work in the world. Sometimes people prey to them, and sometimes those prayers are answered, but with a price. You can add a d6 to any d20 roll other than a death saves, but I also get a d6 to spend on any d20 roll I make at a time of my choosing. You can use this once per month. You must announce when you are using dark inspiration.

Rest and recover. Taking a few minutes to catch your breath and patch yourself up is fine, but no one heals from getting stabbed in the stomach overnight. short rests take 30 minutes and heal hit die as normal, but a long rest takes 5 days of light activity in a sheltered or safe environment.

Grievous wounds. Mortal bodies are frail things, and some injuries can’t just be walked off. When you are reduced to 0 hit points, you receive a grievous wound that will give you a penalty until you complete a long rest and have someone succeed and dc 10 medicine check to remove it. Using a healers kit succeeds automatically.

Down time. Despite how dangerous the world is, evil creatures aren’t knocking at your door every single night, and you do have a life outside of hunting. Adventures will often be broken up by months where you can choose several down time activities such as making extra gold, earning extra experience, forming social connections, learning spells, training a skill, investigating something, or crafting items.

Flanking. If two or more creatures are attacking the same target, they have advantage on their attacks.

Character creation: do not roll in this thread.
starting level 3
Stats will be 2d6+6 seven times dropping the lowest.
Wealth will be starting gear from class and background+200 gold to spend as you wish+1 uncommon item of your choice.
Health will be max at 1st level, rolled for the rest. If you roll below average, take average.

DEADLINE 1/1

Application
Name
Race
Class and subclass
Background
2 personality traits
Ideal
Bond
flaw
Appearance
Backstory: include why you became a hunter

On the road: I have created a pregame role play thread where you can interact with each other and get a feel for your character’s voice and form relationships with the other characters. This will give me an idea of the frequency and quality of your posts. It is not required that you participate, but it will improve your chances of getting picked.You can find it here.

About the world of Etharis

the Bürach Empire

Unterland

Nordenland

Rauland

Abendland

The races of etharis

In ages past, the elder races spread over Etharis and carved out separate kingdoms for themselves. Then the humans came, and all but annihilated the other races in their relentless drive to multiply and expand. Today, humans are still the most numerous and powerful race in Etharis. The elder races survive either in isolated remnants of their own domains, or incorporated into larger human kingdoms. But it is an age of crisis, and some see the opportunity to claw back what their ancestors lost. Though they are reduced in number, members of the elder races are a common sight anywhere in Etharis. Perhaps because they so often live on the fringes of human civilization, they also make up a disproportionate number of its hunters.

humans

Elves

Dwarves

Half orcs

Half elves

Dragon born

Gnomes

Halflings

War forged

Shifters

Changelings

Reborn

Dhampir

Hexblood

PlayerCharacterraceclass
Mitsubachi Kaia RedfoxWood ElfFighter (Battle Master)
Seekr34IngvarDowncastPaladin - Oath of the Watchers
Geldar Landen TalvendirkHalf-ElfLore Bard
Arkanis AriadneHumanRogue (Assassin)
1SkellAudun Völgr Custom lineage (modified human) Ranger (Green Reaper)
AlexNArchibald ScriverHalf-ElfWarlock, Celestial Patron
OakieJon HaggerdHumanWarlock (Fiend)
GleefulNihilismOtto-of-DreamsDreamerWizard (Diviner)
Azathool SpyderDhampir Sorcerer: (GH:Haunted) L2: Warlock (GH:The Parasite)
BestTeaMakerSiennaShifter Hexblade Warlock 3
Drachenspirit Nyana MiavenWood ElfBarbarian - Path of Wild Magic
LuezonIra ElzheHexblood (Human Lineage)Monk (Way of Mercy)
MontageManiac Ryven PlatinyrseHalf-ElfKensei Monk
KshnikTeric ClearsparkHalflingRanger Sorcerer Warlock
oodoozombieLady Ilona Justina de Imith the 6th. Dhampir Warlock. The First Vampire (GH). (Pact of the Blade)

Last edited by Togot; Dec 23rd, 2023 at 02:47 AM.
Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 05:08 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 204
ProjectLazarus ProjectLazarus ProjectLazarus
Is there a dice rolling thread, for Character Creation?
Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 05:20 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16923
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Looks very cool!

What kind of posting rate are you planning?

The PC start at first level?

I don't have any Grim Hollow books. It looks like there's a lot of new options in that Players Guide. And new spells in the Campaign Guide? - are those spells available?
Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 05:27 AM
Busy Bee

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6721
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi
Kaia Redfox - The Last Wardancer
right-aligned image

Name: Kaia Redfox

Race: Wood Elf

Class and subclass: Fighter (Battle Master)

Background: Entertainer

2 personality traits: I change my mood or my mind as quickly as I change key in a song.
I sometimes speak in riddles to myself, or perhaps an invisible friend.
Ideal: Beauty: When I perform – or battle – I make the world a better place than it was.
Bond: I idolize a hero of the old tales, and measure my deeds against that person’s.
Flaw: I have trouble keeping my true feelings hidden. My sharp tongue lands me in trouble.

Appearance: See right

Backstory:

Last edited by Mitsubachi; Dec 3rd, 2023 at 10:17 AM. Reason: App updated
Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 02:11 PM
Spes Temporis

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2648
Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool Azathool
OOC
Here goes; a human child taken over by a Wechselkind, "resurrected" by his parents as a flesh-eating vampire (Dhampir) by making a deal with a space parasite, using his mother's body as food, and growing up haunted by her soul. He's one messed-up kid.

Azathool's Application - Complete
Name: Spyder
Race: Dhampir (GH:Wechselkind - Human)
Class and subclass: Sorlock: L1 Sorcerer: (GH:Haunted) L2: Warlock (GH:The Parasite)
Background: Haunted One
Personality trait 1: I don’t run from evil. Evil runs from me.
Personality trait 2: I live for the thrill of the hunt.
Ideal: I have a dark calling that puts me above the law.
Bond: A terrible guilt consumes me. I hope that I can find redemption through my actions.
Flaw: I have an addiction.
Alignment: N (with Chaotic tendencies) : (Spyder understands that to live in civilized society he must follow the rules, otherwise he will get into "trouble", but he doesn't like it, and when out "hunting" he is free. Concepts such as Evil and Good have no meaning to him.)
Appearance
right-aligned image
Created with DALL-E

Spyder being ;at least his soul, the body copy and subsequent flesh re-growthtechnically human understands that to live amongst civilized people one must be civilized. So in the safe places of the world, he cleans himself up, stands upright, walks on the floor and tries his best to be somewhat human(oid).

Barely two feet tall and fifteen pounds in weight, Spyder's growth was halted when his mortal form was swapped for the Wechselkind, now grown over with flesh to approximate the size of a human toddler, gnome, or halfling. A dark cloak is usually pulled over his form else he has little of note. He wears no armour and carries no weapons, although you will sometimes see him holding a short metal rod.

Come the time for hunting and Spyder becomes… less civilized. While still of the same mind, his body alters; legs and arms stick out akimbo, and hands and feet clawed, allowing him to climb almost any surface. Climbing upside down on ceilings he looks more like a huge spider… hence his name. Depending on the situation he can modify several of his features; lengthening his legs, hardening his skin, enlarging his eyes or several other "enhancements".

Fanged teeth help with the consumption of his food… flesh, preferably raw, and when possible humanoid. He wields magic surreptitiously when needed.

Backstory:
Backstory

Characters: Hieronymous - Valthrum - Slake - Spyder - Ain'Jel - Aster - Bob - Leatherface - Anastrianna - Eric

Last edited by Azathool; Jan 2nd, 2024 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Complete
Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 04:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6623
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
What level do we start at? never mind, I just saw it

Last edited by Seekr34; Dec 2nd, 2023 at 04:37 PM.
Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 05:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Name: Ingvar
Race: The Downcast
Class and subclass: Paladin - Oath of the Watchers
Background: Soldier
2 Personality Traits: 1.) I’m haunted by memories o f war. I can’t get the images of violence out of my mind. 2.) I’ve lost too many friends, and I’m slow to make new ones.
Ideal: Greater Good. Our lot is to lay down our lives in defense of others. (Good)
Bond: I’ll never forget the crushing defeat my company suffered or the enemies who dealt it.
Flaw:The monstrous enemy we faced in battle still leaves me quivering with fear.
Appearance: Standing at 6 foot even, he is of medium build, clean shaven, long wavy light brown hair down to his shoulders with brown eyes to match. Protected by a chain mail and shield, armed with a longsword, a dagger sheathed at his right thigh, and a bow at his back.
He appears a very handsome young man, more so than most humans. However, at a closer look at the man, folks would see his glowing eyes. When exposed, faint markings on his skin mimic Celestial runes. He moves with confidence, although he seems to be watching over his shoulder on occasion, as if he is being followed or watched.

right-aligned image

Backstory (include why you became a hunter): Before the god-war, Unvar the angel follows his diety and goes on varies mission in the name of Galtian. However, afterwards, where gods had lost and all but disappeared, he and most of his fellows fell from grace, losing their powers, except for the Arch Seraphs were the most powerful lieutenants. While they carried the burden of their deities, the lesser angels, including Ingvar, fell. Their numbers decreased once they arrived, due to a great number of them succumbing to despair, feeling lost and powerless. Of those that remained, some had, with hope, still tried to serve the Arch Seraphs hoping to reclaim what they had lost. Some felt embittered by their fall, had been accepted by the Arch Demons to spread fear and destruction. The rest, like Ingvar, have turned to seek their own goals, fully embracing mortal life.

This was a mere 20 years ago, after a few years of running and hiding from those that wants to suck the rest of what little power he has left, he tried to help those in need, but it was nearly impossible. He was a mortal now, with no real power, so he had entered the Bürach Empire and traveled eastward to Unterland, to the capital of Olstenberg and took up training to be a paladin. Because of the missing gods, the clerics and paladins had become rare. Ingvar was determined to forge ahead and do his best. The people needed help and it was his job, just because he lost his immortal powers, it was not a reason for him to give up. To give up hope means death.

He had become a paladin, swore an oath, but he still had much to learn. It was on his 100th birthday that he was summoned by the lord of Black Hold to his town in the province of Unterland, which was close by the capital. He had been promised gold, and possibly a home should he succeed in solving whatever issue is currently plaguing his people. Ingvar had guessed that the Lord wanted Hunters.

Here was a chance for him to help the people, give them hope. It will not be easy, he knew that, but as always, he was determined to do his best.

Last edited by Seekr34; Dec 4th, 2023 at 01:54 AM.
Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 05:26 PM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8710
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
ProjectLazarus, no dice rolling thread, you don't need to make a character sheet until you're selected.

secretID, i'm looking for 1 or 2 posts a week. starting level is three. any material from the grim hollow books is allowed

Mitsubachi, i was expecting the game to be approved by now, but as soon as it is i will make the thread and provide the link
Old Dec 3rd, 2023, 10:18 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2121
Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite
On the dice rolled stats, I assume this means you can arrange them in any order, So 6 random numbers slotted as you'd like into the 6 abilities.
Old Dec 3rd, 2023, 01:26 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7012
Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar
Name Landen Talvendirk
Race Half-Elf
Class Lore Bard
Background Sage

2 Personality Traits

I . . . speak . . . slowly . . . when talking . . . to idiots, . . .
which . . . almost. . . everyone . . . is . . . compared . . .
to me.
I’m convinced that people are always trying to steal my
secrets.

Ideal Self-Improvement. The goal of a life of study is the
betterment of oneself. (Any
Bond My life’s work is a series of tomes related to a specific
field of lore.
Flaw Unlocking an ancient mystery is worth the price o f a
civilization.

Appearance
Backstory: include why you became a hunter

Last edited by Geldar; Dec 3rd, 2023 at 01:28 PM.
Old Dec 3rd, 2023, 03:39 PM
Lord of Graves

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1730
Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis
Ariadne
right-aligned image
Name: Ariadne
Race: Human
Class: Rogue (Assassin)
Background: Urchin
Personality Trait 1: I am single minded in my desires. Vengeance against the Ostoyan Empire is the only thing that truly matters.
Personality Trait 2: Although I may work with others I find it difficult to form true friendships
Ideal: I protect those who cannot protect themselves
Bond: Defeating the Ostoyan Empire is what matters, irrespective of what the cost may be
Flaw: I am headstrong in my beliefs, perhaps overly so. I cannot be sworn from my path, even if the road ahead leads to ruin.

Throughout her life the same,
She’s battled constantly,
This fight she cannot win,
A tired girl they see no longer cares,
The girl then prepares,
To die regretfully,
That tired girl here is me.

AppearanceThe girl carries herself with an enigmatic air of mystery swirling about her. As she turns her eyes upon you, they ask searching questions as they look within your soul.

Who am I? Who are you? What is it you truly seek, stranger?

Her dark hair cascades down beyond her shoulders, and on occasion the girl is known to hide her face behind a hood of swirling night blues — an affectation perhaps as and when the girl wishes to hide her face from the world that would look upon her. The girl wears leather armour covered by a cloak of swirling dark. Sometimes she looks for all the world as if she is a drifting, ethereal shadow — a dark star against the night sky.

The girl does not speak much, yet when she does deign to speak, her voice, though softly spoken, carries with it an air of gravitas that many who are taller or more powerful than her cannot manage.

There is more to her though than words can possibly speak of….

BackstoryIf Ariadne had ever been given a surname, or a family name of some description at some point in her life, she never knew it. Fundamentally that was who she was. A nameless, hopeless piece of trash picked up from the gutter by someone more powerful than she could ever hope to be. A man who wanted nothing more than a plaything -- a puppet to prove his own power and dominance over. It was only at this man's behest that Ariadne was given a name, and although most of her early life was shrouded in the shadows of amnesia, the name was one of the only things she held onto. It was a mark of strength of sorts, a mark that said to her "I have a name. I am a person." In her darkest moments it was something to cling to -- a shield against the demons that always seemed to encircle her.

The only other memory from her earlier years she clung onto was gutting her nameless benefactor like a fish, although if anyone knew enough about her past as to ask her why, Ariadne wouldn't have been able to tell them.

Perhaps in this, the smallest mercies were the most powerful ones.

Years passed by, one after the other as a meaningless blur. Ariadne was nothing if not resourceful. She learned to survive, and survive she did. Her methods of survival mattered little to her, only the end result was important. The city would eat you alive unless you fought back, and so Ariadne did fight. She stole, she cheated, she murdered. And although she did not take any pleasure from her actions, she had already determined that she would not give up. In perhaps the strangest of affectations, Ariadne developed a kinship with the weak and downtrodden, always looking to protect them from the depredations of bullies and those who would do them harm. Perhaps in them she saw a piece of herself.

Not in this, not in anything.

It was only a matter of time before she drew the wrong sort of attention to herself.

One thing you do not do in Ulstenberg is steal from the military, but simply put, Ariadne did not care. And in this case, she stole from the wrong person, pickpocketing from a high ranking sergeant in the military. Ariadne was thrown in a prison cell, and it was here that she thought she was going to be left to rot.

Little did she know that worse was coming, and that her actions had directly contributed to her own coming downfall.

Over time, Ariadne befriended a girl in the cell next to her, Kaya. In the days, weeks and months of their incarceration, the two became a balm to each other. As they got to know each other, they became firm friends, their presence seemingly healing each other’s wounded hearts and souls.

Then, one day, a member of the military came down and unlocked both their cells. Ariadne’s heart leapt. Despite everything we’re they going to be released?

Yes, and no, to her eternal dismay.

Both Ariadne and Kaya were forcibly conscripted into the military, to go and fight against the Ostoyan Empire. Even then, Ariadne hoped that she could spirit both her and Kaya away from the fighting, disappearing like shadows into the night. And yet, naive as always despite her upbringing and her own vaunted skills of survival, Ariadne would be disappointed in this.

The war unleashed horrors of the like she had never seen before. There were darker things in the Ostoyan army than just soldiers to kill, and she was completely unprepared for the situation she found herself in. The unit she travelled with were ambushed by Ostoyan military, and one by one they were cut down, until only Ariadne and Kaya remained. As they fought back to back, Ariadne knew deep down that the end had come. They could not stand against the numbers that fought against them, and although the two of them fought bravely back-to-back, they would inevitably fall. Ariadne found her hand reaching for Kaya’s, holding it tight as they were pierced by blades. Ariadne fell face first onto the mud-soaked ground, to die unremembered and unmourned, their bodies destined to be burnt on the fires of a funeral pyre.

This was not the end though.

Her eyes flickered open, and all Ariadne could feel was pain flooding her body. Yet the soldiers had made a mistake. In their haste, they had not confirmed her death. She was not dead, and as she focussed in on the shy above, the night and the stars gleaming above her, she remembered…. Her eyes fell on Kaya, lying lifeless on the ground besides her, and she screamed, her grief mingling with fury.

Climbing slowly to her feet, Ariadne staggered slowly back to Unterland, a desire for vengeance burning in her heart, a hunter both in heart, and soon, in name too.

Last edited by Arkanis; Dec 3rd, 2023 at 06:17 PM.
Old Dec 3rd, 2023, 04:29 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 244
1Skell 1Skell 1Skell
I've been waiting for a long time for a chance to play a Green Reaper. Let's try getting in here:

Application
left-aligned image

Name: Audun Völgr
Race: Custom lineage (modified human)
Class: Ranger (Green Reaper)
Uncommon Item of Choice: Longbow +1
Background: Outlander (Grim Hollow version)
Personality Traits: 1 - I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let my emotions control me. 2 - I would rather make a new friend than a new enemy.
Ideal: Respect. All people, rich or poor, deserve respect.
Bond: Those who fight beside me are those worth dying for.
Flaw: I judge others harshly, and myself even more severely.
Appearance: Audun is a broad shouldered man of short dirty blond hair, pale white skin and pale green eyes. His face is chiselled and gaunt, his neck is long. The ranger usually dresses into brown leather armor over a green tunic and black pants. The hands are covered by leather gloves and the feet by leather boots, all brown. Over the armor he also wears a hooded green cape, already worn by time and weather. Audun likes to have it double down as a blanket during his sleep.
Background:

Last edited by 1Skell; Dec 4th, 2023 at 11:55 PM.
Old Dec 3rd, 2023, 05:38 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadiumite View Post
On the dice rolled stats, I assume this means you can arrange them in any order, So 6 random numbers slotted as you'd like into the 6 abilities.
Correct. A few DMs will say in order but most don't and since the DM here did not, you can put them in any oder you want.
Old Dec 3rd, 2023, 05:56 PM
Lord of Graves

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1730
Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis Arkanis
That should be me done, let me know if I’ve missed anything .
Old Dec 3rd, 2023, 08:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
My character Ingvar is done