RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Sep 6th, 2022, 04:48 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10274
Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile
Application

Questions1. What about this game advert makes you want to apply?

A long standing love for superheroes is definitely a factor, but the inciting incident which is at the center of this particular setting and the world it has led to, as well as the way in which these events were written, made me want to apply for this game.

There is an optimism at the core of this premise that I would take great pleasure in helping to nurture and expand, working alongside a group of great heroes to see the bright promise for the future fulfilled, especially in the face of whatever forces would wish to bring it all crashing down.

I also like the ideals stated in the Is this game for you? section. Makes me even more certain this game would be a good fit

2. What do you look for in a good GM?

The ability to meaningfully reflect the consequences of a player's actions in their game world and narrative rather than ignore them to keep things on a predetermined track. Though I believe players should definitely work with the GM when narrative points of interest are placed in front of them to engage, there should also be room for players to explore the world they inhabit and make a lasting impression all their own with the tools provided by the setting and all that comes with it. I believe this can make the whole experience all the richer for everyone involved.

Also related, the ability for the GM to encourage and see the game as a cooperative experience rather than an adversarial one, encouraging that atmosphere between themselves and the players as well as between the players themselves. There are very specific games where the goal is to just grind players to dust, and those can be fun when everyone has opted in on that experience, but outside that specific use case, I don't like thinking of a game like this in terms of winning vs. GM. There will be triumphs, defeats, joy, sadness, frustration, and everything in between, but crafting and enjoying this narrative together should be paramount, wherever it takes us.

3. What is your experience with Mutants & Masterminds?

I have played exactly three games in M&M, one 2e and two 3e. And two of them weren't even superhero games, just utilizing the flexibility of the system to simulate a wide range of abilities. I enjoyed them, and yes, the character creation process is very involved, which I love. Honing in on a concept and refining is a great deal of fun, and seeing your character take form, strengths and weaknesses all coalesced into your ideal hero, is a satisfying experience.

HorizonHero Name:
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
Horizon

Catch-Phrase: "Let's lighten the mood.", "Newton's bobbing apples!", "Science in service is the path to the dawn."

Name: Dr. Emmanuel Igwe

Identity: Known. Emmanuel wishes to be an ambassador for his philanthropic ambitions, and believes that associating freely with his alter-ego is all the better for his goals.

Description:

Personality:

Goals: Emmanuel wishes to be a living example of how scientific research and innovation can be a driving force for good for the many and not just the few. Whatever the disaster, no matter the villain, he will ply his craft to find the best solution to make certain humanity is safeguarded against the dangers which plague them, and in doing so inspire others to take up the cause of moving humanity forward into a bright future.

He also sees this as part of his personal penance for living his life so selfishly up until now, having only ever done anything for the sake of personal profit and social status until the monumental sacrifice of Silver Halo and Captain Dynamic gave him some much needed perspective.

Powers: Emmanuel has built himself an experimental power suit with the ability to manipulate gravitational fields, originally conceived as a means to efficiently explore deep space environs but ultimately built towards a new purpose.

His considerable intellect is also a powerful asset, which he uses to create and utilize an array of gravity based inventions to help himself and his allies in the field.

Background:

Important Persons:

Writing Prompt
Psychological Evaluation Question: Give a little writing sample for the two scenario prompts below. A few line or a paragraph for each is plenty.

1) Today is a rare day off from your hero duties and you're on your way to meet a friend for lunch. As you walk past the Fifth Street Bank, the alarm goes off just before the door bursts open and Black Ice skates out on a slick of ice he forms on the sidewalk, a duffle full of money strapped to his back and another in his hand. What do you do?

2) Wow, that hurt. Not just your jaw but your pride. You were sure that you and Sergeant Steel could take him down. Man, were you wrong. Not only was this your first defeat at the hands of a supervillain but it was all caught on camera. How do you deal with this?

Last edited by Crocodile; Sep 16th, 2022 at 07:22 PM.
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 05:59 AM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22042
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Pandas? Are secretly powerful, mystical guardians? Yes well it isn't any crazier than any other origin!
left-aligned image

Hero Name: Pandagirl
Catch Phrase: "What's black and white and way more awesome than you?" *points at self with thumbs* "This girl!"
Identity: Secret

Last edited by PalladiaMors; Sep 7th, 2022 at 03:14 AM.
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 11:20 AM
The Good Doktor
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30029
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Pondering a few tweeks to Grunge. Mostly clarifying that this -

Is an approximate artist’s representation of Ollie when he sees a Churro Truck or his favorite Tamale Lady in his human form. Doesn’t feel particularly creative, but it works.

I’ve also put quite a bit a bit of thought into the clothes question. It just doesn’t strike me as making much sense that grunge can take his clothes with him when he transforms. I do like the idea that if nobody touches his clothes and just lets them lay in the puddle when he turns back he can put himself back in his clothes properly, because this is a sign that he actually can control his water molecules if only on a subconscious level at present. But to keep things PG-13 I’ll probably give him some magic Atlantian underwear.

I kind of picture him as an emotional core for a team. He’s not the car that comes up a clever gadgets or strategies, but he is the guy who never gives up and occasionally drops a surprisingly good rousing speech.
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 01:01 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3054
Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven
Lot of good stuff coming in so thank you for that. Also, a lot of tension over the perceived competition and several weeks to go. Here's my guidance to you all - focus on your concept, not others. I have a lot of things I am going to be evaluating my decision so don't get worked up comparing applications. In terms of the application deadline being Oct 1 - that is primarily so I have time to be prepared. I may move that up a week if I make headway on my end.

Some more questions:
@ArcZero Does Evelyn know or not know her secret identity? Do you see the shield as being a unique, irreplaceable item (secret lost or unable to be replicated) or a technologically advanced item that could be remade or replicated?

@Snicker Do you envison her as having an empathy/affinity with electrical equipment or just being able to sense and manipulate it? Do you see her two robotic helpers simple gadgets she controls or do theh have an AI and ability to function on their own?

@Crocodile What is Emmanuel's major fields of sceintific interest? How do you see his gravity manipulation showing up? A focus on manipulating objects/people, external manifestations such as force fields and blasts or some combination of these? Or something else entirely?

@PalladiaMors Seems to be a playful, outgoing and positive personality as you've written her. How do you envision her style and response when dealing with hardened criminals or devious villains?
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 01:03 PM
The Queen of Ice
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18039
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Ooooowww! I came up with a name: Galena. It's an ore that's a major source of Silver. I thought of it because Charlotte is not "refined" yet. Or maybe Silver Strike or Silver Streak - intentionally inaccurate to her character.

Silver Streak wins. I like that one best of all of them. So, I'm officially changing her name to that.

Last edited by girlplay; Sep 6th, 2022 at 01:39 PM.
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 01:37 PM
Peace was never an option
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35380
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
Application
There are a few questions I'd like you to answer in addition to your concept.
1. What about this game advert makes you want to apply? The thing that attracts me most to the game is the interest in heavy roleplay and accenting the good hero trope. As much as I love playing M&M there haven't been a lot of games where I have got to embrace a hero within the brighter heroic setting.

2. What do you look for in a good GM?
I think that the best games I have been, and have run, have always been when the characters stories take the forefront of the game allowing each character moments to "shine" due to narrative development that allows their decisions to matter. I like DMs who put those tough decisions infront of me "Do you save MJ or the innocent people?!" that help define who your character is and change them as the narrative progresses.

3. What is your experience with Mutants & Masterminds?
At this point I think I can say I am a seasoned player. I have both played and GMed Mutants and Masterminds games as well as the one I am currently running on RPGX. I have been active as a player and am always looking for another chance to get involved in a game. Overall I have found that we have a great and positive community on here.

CharacterAttn: Department of Hero Affairs.

left-aligned image
Hero Name: Supersonic
Catch-Phrase: "When everything is against you and it seems like you have no gas left in the tank, that's when you go Supersonic. You dig in and show them that there is always something worth fighting for..."
Name: Skeet Stewart
Identity: Secret, Skeet keeps his identity hidden to protect those closest to him.
Description:Supersonic can typically be seen in his Blue and Black uniform which accents his physique. There are a series of sensors that light up on the top surrounding his chest and shoulders and going down his arms to a sensor on the back of each palm. As Supersonic absorbs kinetic energy they light up and change color. The token sonic discharge of sound is clearly known by those in the city as well as his tendency to say things like "You just got Sonic BOOMED" when he lies on a nasty blow to one of the bad guys. Known mostly for his super speed and sonic punches he also has a few other tricks up his sleeves as he absorbs and discharges sonic energy.

The suit isn't just for show. It helps Skeet control the massive amounts of kinetic energy he absorbs, so he doesn't constantly unleash it accidentally. This leads to him mostly being found in a suit or some other clothing that covers up his sensors when he is in his civilian attire. Currently, he works as a Case Administrator at the local courthouse so that he can be aware of any irregularities within the city. He always has a quick wit about him but is much more subtle when not fighting crime, and he is known to have a kind demeanor, but is thought to be shy, and he has a strong sense of empathy for the people of the city.

Personality: Skeet tries to fool people into thinking he is shy when he is in the civilian world to not betray his identity to those who see him as Supersonic. Needing to think as quickly as he moves Supersonic is quick-witted and quick to action where Skeet is more meticulous and soft handed. Sometimes Skeet is late to work and other obligations because of his superhero activities which he puts ahead of all else.

Goals: The accident of his youth and death of his father led Supersonic down the path of justice. Skeet wants to use his abilities to protect the people of New Liberty from those like the villains that killed his father.

Powers: Supersonic is not a true speedster in that his real power is the ability to absorb kinetic energy and release it. Caught in the beam of a nefarious weapon when he was a teen his body now absorbs all kinetic energy he is exposed to and then releases it. The easiest way for Supersonic to do this is to run or release it in a powerful blow, but he can also perform other acts such as leaping very high or creating wind tunnels. The improved kinetic state allows him to think and act quickly as well as metabolize faster than normal. If he does not release his power however the result will cause an uncontrolled kinetic burst of power.

Background:

1) Today is a rare day off from your hero duties, and you're on your way to meet a friend for lunch. As you walk past the Fifth Street Bank, the alarm goes off just before the door bursts open and Black Ice skates out on a slick of ice he forms on the sidewalk, a duffle full of money strapped to his back and another in his hand. What do you do?
Skeet is walking down Fifth street towards the courthouse on thirteen enjoying a nice decaff coffee that is more hot chocolate than coffee as he suddenly hears the bank alarm go off. As he watches the ice form in front of the bank he looks down at his watch. He's got time if he is quick. He had promised himself no superheroing today but what is one bank robbery? It's not like the money can return itself.

Ducking behind an alleyway he quickly takes off his suit and puts on his mask as he begins to chase down the criminal. Running up along side the criminal he looks over at him. "Robbing the bank in the middle of the day? Now thats just cold!" he calls out as Black Ice looks at him. "Yeah that was bad, I'm working on it. So I'm on a tight schedule. What do you say you just hand over the money and we let bigons be bigons?" he asks before Black Ice puts a slipper patch right in front of him causing him to spiral out of control and into the villains ice run. The slide causes the sensors on his suit to light up like a christmas tree.

"So that's a no...." Supersonic says before rolling off the louge and jumping back on his feet. Running up the side of one of the buildings he runs perpandicular to the ground before getting a good lead on Black Ice. Quickly piling up a barrier of trash dumpsters and garbage cans he assembles a barricade before waiting for Black Ice to come toward him and at the last second releases a wave of kinetic energy at the villains feet sending him flying.

As the villain smashes into the pile of dumsters Supersonic looks at his watch. "Crap, late again!" he says as he gathers up the stolen money and ties up Black Ice. "Even you can't outrun Justice Black Ice." he says before taking off just as the police arrive.

2) Wow, that hurt. Not just your jaw but your pride. You were sure that you and Sergeant Steel could take him down. Man, were you wrong. Not only was this your first defeat at the hands of a supervillain, but it was all caught on camera. How do you deal with this?

Skeet rubbed his jaw as he flicked the button the remote watch the replay again. It was brutal they caught him running it for a sonic punch just to have Sergeant Steel brush it off and countering with an uppercut that sent him flying. Quick metabolism or not that hurt. In front of him were three empty pizza boxes, three half-galons of ice cream two cartons of orange juice and a half eaten jar of jalapenos.

"I could have sworn that would work. How was I supposed to know that Sergeant Steel is harder than Steel? Isn;t that a misnomer, I mean its not like rubber boy is as stiff as a board. Its cheating! Why don't they say he's cheating?" he complains to the televison before collecting himself. "Right, since when did they play by the rules. I can do this, yeah we just need to learn to be more prepared. Not rush in so much..." A siren can be heard in the distance and in a second without though Supersonic dashes off toward the sound. "Well next time... I will totally plan it out next time"

Last edited by Avner; Sep 6th, 2022 at 03:57 PM.
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 02:08 PM
Fire Emblem Connoisseur

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6497
ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palliven View Post
Some more questions:
@ArcZero Does Evelyn know or not know her secret identity? Do you see the shield as being a unique, irreplaceable item (secret lost or unable to be replicated) or a technologically advanced item that could be remade or replicated?
That's a good point. Yes I would say Evelyn definitely knows. Damara was 18 and looking for personal assistants. When she put out all she was asking for and talked to Evelyn in an interview or two, Evelyn was smart enough to piece it together (You want someone to manage your schedule, coming into wealth and celebrity, with talent that borders on the limits of what humans are capable of, while trying to conceal where you're going and who's asking questions. Hmmm I wonder what it means). Damara isn't the brightest bulb in the bunch (probably a -1 intellect), but even once Evelyn found out, she proved to be totally trustworthy. Evelyn probably has that mama bird mentality that cuts through her professional 1950s veneer: she does care about Damara and wants to help her succeed and stay secret. But she likes to push her, thus doing the work to help her join this new team all the way in Elisia.

And for the shield, I would say it's easily removable and the wreath would be regular removable. So I see situations where it's grappled away from her, stolen, etc. (And where the wreath is taken if she goes unconscious by the agent of a greedy Greek god who wants to hurt Hermes. That will probably be a complication, that the Greek pantheon is competitive and a Hades-type has it out for anyone a good god blesses). I want her to have the superspeed, growth and shield, but which is the strongest or available at any time is something I would enjoy testing her with.

If the shield is taken, then she's in an Iron Man situation of getting it back or going to Nolan and VESPR labs to get a new one, make upgrades, etc. It's definitely a device, so it would generally "come back" (or get rebuilt) for each mission, if I'm understanding the rules right. So yeah it can be replicated.

My question to you is, I would see the Mantle of Hermes and giant growth being alternate forms. Thus having the alternate flaw and building them to be one-or-the other but comparable strengths (~20 points each kind of thing). Would that likely work for you?

Last edited by ArcZero; Sep 6th, 2022 at 03:02 PM.
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 07:22 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10274
Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile Crocodile
Quote:

@Crocodile What is Emmanuel's major fields of sceintific interest? How do you see his gravity manipulation showing up? A focus on manipulating objects/people, external manifestations such as force fields and blasts or some combination of these? Or something else entirely?
Emmanuel specializes in the fields of astrophysics and aerospace engineering, with a bit of cross-dsiciplinary dabbling in mechanical engineering for the sake of creating specialized tools. Not going to be building advanced AI constructs anytime soon though.

I see his gravity manipulation starting out as being of the manipulation variety, making things heavier/lighter, pushing and pulling, perhaps a small singularity or two. But I can see his powers evolving over time as he continues to tinker with his technology, possibly even encompassing external energy manifestations.

But for the start, it's just of the manipulation variety.

Last edited by Crocodile; Sep 6th, 2022 at 07:23 PM.
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 08:12 PM
The Good Doktor
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30029
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Oh, and Comments and Critique of Grunge are welcome. @Pall and otherwise.
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 12:43 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7660
Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker
Quote:
@Snicker Do you envison her as having an empathy/affinity with electrical equipment or just being able to sense and manipulate it? Do you see her two robotic helpers simple gadgets she controls or do theh have an AI and ability to function on their own?
Can you explain why you mean by "empathy/affinity" in this context? If the technology has some sort of sensory device (camera, microphone, etc.) she can tap into that, and if it contains data (like a computer), she can read that data. She doesn't cause the technology to gain intelligence or emotions. If the technology does contain an AI, she would be able to talk to it with her mind, but she wouldn't be able to invoke any exceptional sympathy in it.

Her robotic helpers are just drones. They have no AI, but she can give them "ongoing" orders, such as to hover in her vicinity, so she doesn't have to continuously concentrate on them.
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 03:12 AM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6128
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palliven
@BlackDragon0 Being a loner by nature, what are your thoughts on how he could integrate into a team? Also, since you're new to M&M just be aware that the powers you listed may be more than you have points for at the start.

Ok well as shown by the app questions he's happy to team up. Also going solo doesn't always work there's no one on your side defending you. Like with the fire in the back story. But most of all there's the fact he wants to fill a hole in his life and is looking for a new beginning. This is all from his background. I fully expect difficulties and growth. Like weather he is friends with teammates or just sees them as someone he has to work with. If selected to lead, how hard will it be to see them as warriors and not those under his care. And what about that secret identity wow can't keep a job.... but never fails to be a hero. Yep I bet he's got allot of growth ahead..

AND LETS NOT FORGET ONE OF HIS CATCH PHRASES!!!
Dragons who fly alone die alone! in otherwords he doesn't want to be alone!!!!
I hope this answers your question.

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Sep 10th, 2022 at 10:01 PM.
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 03:19 AM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22042
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
Quote:
@PalladiaMors Seems to be a playful, outgoing and positive personality as you've written her. How do you envision her style and response when dealing with hardened criminals or devious villains?
Well like I mentioned, she does know how to get serious when she has to. Though from her perspective, that's something she hasn't really thought about. Something I want to focus on with this character is that she's not a seasoned superhero at all. This is her "Year One". No lifetime of training, no long record of costumed superheroics. Just someone who had a bunch of power dropped in their lap with minimal practice and then told to go out and wing it.

Also finished up the sections I was too tired to do last night, app should be complete now.
I had a very rough week topped off by a death in the family and another in the ICU. I've been out of state dealing with family matters and needed to get back to normalcy but I'm back home and ready to get back to things. I'm sorry to have disappeared so suddenly but it was a serious emergency.
Old Sep 8th, 2022, 04:36 PM
The Queen of Ice
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18039
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Hi! I just posted up a character sheet. Silver Streak is a nice and simple build, as it turns out. I got everything I wanted, save for a few of the extras. But there's definitely room to grow.
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 11:08 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7660
Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker
I'd like to officially declare Wirelass complete.
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 07:22 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3054
Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven Palliven
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcZero View Post
My question to you is, I would see the Mantle of Hermes and giant growth being alternate forms. Thus having the alternate flaw and building them to be one-or-the other but comparable strengths (~20 points each kind of thing). Would that likely work for you?
Thanks for asking, it made me reread your application and I realized I didn't catch this nuance. I see it a little differently but maybe I'm missing something still. I don't see how Alternate Form fits here. Growth wouldn't be an alternate form, just the Growth power. So would have Growth, Healing, Enhanced Senses and Movement (Wall Crawling) as powers. The Mantle could be Enhanced Equipment based on the Equipment advantage or it could be an Array. Make sense?