DnD5e Critical Role: Call of the Netherdeep - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2022, 07:43 PM
Lost In Time

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1931
ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM
Critical Role: Call of the Netherdeep

Game NameCritical Role: Call of the Netherdeep
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeAn epic adventure in the Critical Role setting of Exandria, within the continent of Wildemount.
FlavourHigh Fantasy, Story Driven, Plot Heavy, Dungeon Delving, Heroes of the Realm
Plot Summary
Answering the Call

Long ago, a war between gods of good and evil scoured the surface of the world of Exandria. Both the noble The circle of Prime Deities includes the leaders and luminary creators that battled the Primordials and instigated the Founding, forging the mortal races of Exandria.

They represent a spectrum of light, protection, love, death, and all other facets of freedom and life in the world. While some gods may disagree and squabble, they exist in a subtle alliance to maintain the sanctity of life and their respective creations.
Prime Deities and the selfish The Betrayer Gods are the deities who strayed from the ideals of the Founding and embraced the destructive chaos of the Primordials or grew selfish of their own creations.

The Betrayer Gods rarely work together, since they see each other as threats to their own plots and goals. This very weakness allowed the Prime Deities to defeat and banish them, ending the Calamity.
Betrayer Gods imbued their mortal champions with supernatural gifts that granted them strength enough to challenge their divine foes. The greatest of these champions was Alyxian the Apotheon, who received the blessings of three Prime Deities to save the world from the apocalyptic power of the Betrayer Gods.

Centuries later, all knowledge of this godlike hero has been lost to time, and two groups of adventurers are called upon to retrace this mythic hero’s steps and free him from his timeless prison…

OOC: General NotesThis campaign will bring characters levels 1-13, with a chance to continue on up to level 20 depending on the story beats and outcomes.

I am accepting five to six players.The deadline has been reached. No more applications will be accepted.

This advertisement contains general information about the premise of the campaign and locales, while more in-depth information is available by going to this thread and following the threads in order.

Before you continue reading, it is important to know that I am a fan of Critical Role, and have been watching the show for a few years at this point, and I follow it currently as well. This does not mean you have to be highly invested in the show, but general knowledge or understanding can help in your role playing endeavors. More notes and the application template can be found toward the bottom of this post.

If you would like to see a sample of my DMing style and writing, here is a game I am currently running: Odyssey of the Dragonlords.

Welcome to Wildemount
normal image without text wrap
The Continent of Wildemount

A Sight Below
Two armies clash on a fog-shrouded battlefield, heralded by the sound of trumpets and drums on one side, and by an eerie, chirping whistle like countless thousands of wailing crickets on the other. A raven, its ebon feathers spattered with blood, alights on one of the fallen corpses and gently raps its beak on the soldier’s helmet. The raven looks up, curious, and flies into the sky. A land embroiled in war expands beneath it, and yet, within the shroud of conflict, the raven sees twinkling pockets of light.

The raven sees souls that shine bright with courage, kindness, and determination. It sees souls lustrous with greed, fear, and anger. And most of all, it sees souls radiating with a desire to discover their place in the world. The raven sees Wildemount.

OOC: Updates
Update on 9/23/22: I have begun to construct an encyclopedia of sorts for the campaign setting. If you wish to use it for your applications and general knowledge, use the thread located here. More information will be added onto it soon!

Update on 9/26/22: I have adjusted the encyclopedia in order to better compensate for information. Instead of multiple pages with setting content, the main informational post will soon give links to resources and information about the setting that can be viewed and read. Once the group is selected, the setting book will be shared via D&DBeyond, in order for easy access to setting information. In the meantime, please private message me with any questions you may have about the setting, and I will give you any answers you need. The encyclopedia will still host thread links for homebrew, custom systems, and parts of character creation. In addition, there is a link to the wiki page for the setting in the post below, under "Questions". Thank you for your understanding!

DM for Odyssey of the Dragonlords!
DM for Critical Role: Call of the Netherdeep!
Player in Yeohven: Fall from Grace!

Last edited by ForeverDM; Oct 6th, 2022 at 10:50 PM.
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 07:44 PM
Lost In Time

Tools
User Statistics
ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM ForeverDM

Quote:
Where can I find more information on Exandria, Wildemount, and the overall setting?
Though I will be giving much more detailed information to those who are accepted from the initial applications (cities, the pantheon, history, etc.), I would recommend checking out the Critical Role wiki to begin with. Click here for a page that describes Exandria as a whole, and there are links within that will lead to other pages describing areas more in depth. Again, do not worry if you are not extremely well versed in the setting, I am here to help and answer any questions!

Quote:
Does "all official content" include Tasha's Origins for races in character creation?
This does include Tasha's Origins for races. Feel free to use that ruleset for your character build!

Quote:
Are Artificers and/or Firearms okay? What is the level and aesthetic of technology?
Artificers are a bit of a touchy class in this setting. I would say they could work, but they wouldn't have an Eberron level of technology available. It would be more Hupperdook and less Aeor. For those who are not familiar with these locations, think "toned down steampunk" and not "high-powered automatic weapons".

Quote:
What sort of tone will the adventure have? Serious and deep, light hearted and heroic, or somewhere in between?
The tone is going to be a mix of different elements. There will be moments of celebration and joy, mystery and doubt, sadness and introspection, as well as character development and backstory integration. A journey is oft wrought with a plethora of emotions and outcomes.

Quote:
Are Blood Hunters playable in this campaign?
Indeed, they are! Live your best Blood Hunter life!

Quote:
So blood hunters are okay, how about gunslingers?
Yes, gunslingers are a playable class! There are firearms, though they are more simple in nature. Pistols and muskets are available to select individuals or militaristic forces. More advanced forms of black powder technology may exist, but would require a lot of effort - or luck - to obtain.

# Name Status Date Added
1DiceGoblin Applied 9/20/2022
2Greyling Applied 9/20/2022
3Talissen70 Applied 9/20/2022
4Hafrogman Applied 9/20/2022
5Geldar Applied 9/20/2022
6Onward Applied 9/21/2022
7JaredSyn Applied 9/21/2022
8Hillsy7 Applied 9/21/2022
9Alemar Applied 9/21/2022
10Cheshire Applied 9/22/2022
11Retry Applied 9/22/2022
12Elanir Applied 9/24/2022
13Ihinka Applied 9/24/2022
14Ballingrey Applied 9/25/2022
15Dyerdon Applied 9/25/2022
16Saratek Applied 9/28/2022
17PalladiaMors Applied 9/28/2022
18FCastor Applied 9/30/2022
19TheOneTrueClone Applied 10/06/2022

Last edited by ForeverDM; Oct 6th, 2022 at 10:51 PM.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 12:41 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1345
DiceGoblin DiceGoblin DiceGoblin DiceGoblin DiceGoblin DiceGoblin DiceGoblin DiceGoblin DiceGoblin DiceGoblin
An Exandria game? Sign me up! I went really simple on the backstories for now but I have a lot more detail for both characters in my brain. I can add more if you want.

QuestionaireWhat interested you in applying for this game?
It seems to satisfy two really specific things that I've wanted from D&D for a while but haven't been able to get. A game that takes place in Exandria. And something that appears to be a roleplay heavy long play. I like realism and dark topics for my characters and you just can't explore than in a combat heavy game.

Do you feel like a commitment to a long play-by-post game is feasible for you? How many posts do you feel you could make in a week?
Absolutely it is. I can usually one to two posts a week, more if I'm really invested in the game.

Are you a Critical Role fan? If so, are you willing to play in the setting without seeking out canonical characters and/or material unless it is appropriate to the adventure?
Huge fan. I've been watching since campaign one. It got me into D&D in the first place. I can totally play without seeking out canonical characters and material, I'm not a metagamer. I have of course made characters for the setting with connections to canonical characters, but I will not be using them here.

This campaign will use D&DBeyond for character sheets, and you will be added to a campaign with the other players using the site. Are you comfortable with D&DBeyond and using it for gameplay, character info, and keeping notes?
Yes! I prefer it to paper sheets. Just keeps things more organized and the information easily at your fingertips.

This campaign will use Discord solely for the purposes of OOC communication. Will this work for you?
Another yes!

Do you have any writing samples or posts that you are proud of? Give a link and I will take a look!
Anything I've written in this thread is stuff I'm really proud of. Particularly this one and this one.

Old Sep 20th, 2022, 12:43 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1911
Greyling Greyling Greyling Greyling Greyling Greyling Greyling Greyling Greyling Greyling Greyling
I'm interested in joining. I'm newish in the Critical Role setting. I've been watching the old shows (currently in episode 52 of campaign 1)

I'll read more of the campaign details, and see what I can come up with by the weekend

I've done some adjusting to backstories as I've been reading about Wildemount/Wynandir

Last edited by Greyling; Sep 23rd, 2022 at 10:08 AM. Reason: adding backstory details
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 01:46 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3212
Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70
Questionnaire

What interested you in applying for this game?
I am a Critical Role fan, coming to the show during lockdown (C2) as part of my return to ttrpg and introduction to 5e. I love the world they inhabit and the lore that surrounds it and the opportunity to explore with a character of my own it is too fine an opportunity to miss. In addition, relationships and story telling is the key and a longer campaign would be a chance to see that grow.

Do you feel like a commitment to a long play-by-post game is feasible for you? How many posts do you feel you could make in a week?
Yes. I am on rpgx daily and 2-3 posts a week should be no issue. The longer term commitment is also an attraction to the game.

Are you a Critical Role fan? If so, are you willing to play in the setting without seeking out canonical characters and/or material unless it is appropriate to the adventure?
I am a fan but would have no need to mix the two unnecessarily. I think I would be less inclined to play if it was simply an add on to the storylines which have been done.

This campaign will use D&DBeyond for character sheets, and you will be added to a campaign with the other players using the site. Are you comfortable with D&DBeyond and using it for gameplay, character info, and keeping notes?
I am comfortable with D&D beyond and have used it before

This campaign will use Discord solely for the purposes of OOC communication. Will this work for you?
I have also used discord before and have no issues with it.

Do you have any writing samples or posts that you are proud of? Give a link and I will take a look!

Last edited by Talissen70; Sep 29th, 2022 at 06:56 PM.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 02:18 PM
Lost In Time

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiceGoblin View Post
An Exandria game? Sign me up! I went really simple on the backstories for now but I have a lot more detail for both characters in my brain. I can add more if you want.
I love detailed backstories honestly, so if you would like to expand on them, please feel free! Thank you for applying!

Old Sep 20th, 2022, 02:31 PM
Frog of the Hybrid Geeks

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24772
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Application

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverDM View Post
...once players are chosen for the campaign, we will discuss characters one-on-one to make sure backstories, locations, NPCs, and other details are cemented.
Idea of Backstory:
I am assuming, based on the above, that you are looking for more barebones backstories at this time, with the more explicit details to be codified later (if chosen). If not, please let me know and I can expand accordingly.

Feedback Response

Last edited by hafrogman; Sep 30th, 2022 at 04:59 PM.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 02:40 PM
Lost In Time

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafrogman View Post
I am assuming, based on the above, that you are looking for more barebones backstories at this time, with the more explicit details to be codified later (if chosen). If not, please let me know and I can expand accordingly.
That is the main idea for now indeed! I appreciate your application, I have added you to the roster. I will also be adding a link into the original post within the next few days that will lead to a subforum with more information.

On a cursory glance, it looks like you definitely know of some history and mythos within Exandria. Cool stuff!

Old Sep 20th, 2022, 09:04 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7012
Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar
Hi, here’s a fifth one, cheers!

While I’ve not watched full CR episodes, I am a fan of the setting. Also a fan of D&D in all its settings! I see this ad has just recently been established, so I thought I should apply sooner than later because I know these advertisements fill-up fast.

I’ve not been active on this site in a while, but at one point I think I was averaging something like 4-5 posts per day lol. I can easily post once a day, five to seven times weekly.

Yes, absolutely. I am a fan of the setting, I like immersing myself into whatever setting I’m playing but with caveat towards originality and doing what’s best for the game and everyone’s collective immersion.

Yes, definitely. I love D&DBeyond, I’ve made a few people using their character builder and it’s pretty slick. I don’t do any of the paid content, so my options are typically limited to what I guess would be in the basic game (backgrounds and so forth). Which is fine, I’m pretty basic with my character mechanics anyway.

Yes. I’ve got an account there and I’ve used it many times.

Been a while since I’ve been on this site and I have a lot of old posts, but I was always pretty proud of what I did with Adrik. I think this game or series of games got into the site’s Hall of Fame after I’d left the site, and I was a charter member of it. From 2017. I’m old!
Character Concept 1

Character Concept 2

Last edited by Geldar; Sep 20th, 2022 at 09:19 PM.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 09:42 PM
Lost In Time

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you for the application Geldar! You made a point about having only base level access to D&DBeyond, and that's no problem at all. I will use content sharing on the site, which will grant you access to a lot more character options!

I have added you to the roster!

Old Sep 21st, 2022, 06:39 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6075
Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward
Questionnaire

What interested you in applying for this game?
Well, the Exandria setting has been something I was interested in for awhile now. Though I've watch critical role halfway through it's first arc only, I still watch highlights of the game. When I heard that modules of it we're released, I've always wanted to play, and now that theirs a game on this site, while sign me up.

While for longer posts, I can probably make 2 or 3 in a week. But I'm sure committed to it, I can keep up with daily posts as well.

Not as hardcore as other fans, but I'm a bit of a fan. And I am fine if the characters from critical role don't appear in this game. I'd like the game better if we just explored the setting and it's lore instead of meeting it's heroes.

Yep, I have a beyond account already.

Of course this will work, I have a discord account as well and used it a lot in other games.

Okay, this is my character explaining to another how she got to where she is and here's that one time my bard had an epic battle she had with a God's boar, and she won singlehandedly (not really)

To be honest, I'm particularly proud of any post I make as my bard. Theirs something about a character that's got this hot air about them. This ego of false confidence is fun to write as, especially if she fails horribly.

Character Concept #1

Character Concept #2

Old Sep 21st, 2022, 09:14 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9856
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Place Holder
After watching the first Season of Vox Machina I became very interested in Exandria. I have however never played in it, and am quite excited about the prospect of doing so. I am quite enthused about a long term, level advancing game as well.

Do you feel like a commitment to a long play-by-post game is feasible for you? Most certainly able to commit long term, and able to post multiple times per week as needed. Most certainly interested in a long term campaign allowing party members to grow as individuals and a group. I am able to post multiple times per week as necessary.

I have never watched Critical Role, Just the Vox Machina series. I have no specific need to rushing into meeting any canonical characters.

Yes! I have subscription and enjoy using it.

Not an issue for me.

So many posts after so many years on RPGCROSSING LOL.

Last edited by JaredSyn; Sep 21st, 2022 at 09:56 AM.
Old Sep 21st, 2022, 11:21 AM
Lost In Time

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you for your applications Onward and JaredSyn!

I have updated the roster, and am working on a campaign "encyclopedia" for everyone who applies to use, which will allow for more in depth character creation and backstories. I hope to have it ready to go soon, but it is a good bit to write, format, and link together. I appreciate your patience and your creativity thus far!

Old Sep 21st, 2022, 12:06 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3031
Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7 Hillsy7
QuestionnaireWhat interested you in applying for this game?
I came because it was Exandria, but it really looks as though you run the sort of games I like to play in. Great ad and looks like right up my steret!

Absolutely happy to commit, been looking for something I can really resonate with and get into. I can sometimes get a bit overly long with my posts which can slow me down, but I'm getting much better, and having an OOC solution through discord will be helpful. 1-2 a week for sure of good weight.

Huge fan from early on, absolutely love it. And no I won't be wanting any special fan service - It's your game and TBH I'm not expecting to meet anyone of note from the show. Just excited to put my Explorers Guide to Wildemount to proper use.....

Happy with DnDBeyond, and I'm reasonably well versed with it as a tool. Though never used it in a campaign before.

Perfect for me - find it much easier to use a discord app for quick comms than a website forum

Um....proud of is a strong-ish term, but I dug through a couple of examples just cos it seemed polite.....here....and....here

Character 1

Character 2

QuestionsI do have lots of ideas but just to check I do have a coupla quick questions:
  1. You said all official content - just checking, does that include Tasha's Origins for races (i.e. stat and skill rejigs)?
  2. Always a finickity one, because Eberron, but are Artificers and/or Firearms OK, and is there a particular aestetic you'd prefer (e.g. more Hupperdook, less Aeor)?
  3. How much leeway do we have with re-flavouring to match character concept? Don't wanna overstep the mark for how you envision the world to look/feel.
  4. What sort of tone are you hoping for? Serious and deep, light hearted and heroic, or somewhere in between?

Cheers!

Last edited by Hillsy7; Sep 23rd, 2022 at 04:44 AM.
Old Sep 21st, 2022, 12:40 PM
Lost In Time

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsy7 View Post
QuestionsI do have lots of ideas but just to check I do have a coupla quick questions:
  1. You said all official content - just checking, does that include Tasha's Origins for races (i.e. stat and skill rejigs)?
  2. Always a finickity one, because Eberron, but are Artificers and/or Firearms OK, and is there a particular aestetic you'd prefer (e.g. more Hupperdook, less Aeor)?
  3. How much leeway do we have with re-flavouring to match character concept? Don't wanna overstep the mark for how you envision the world to look/feel.
  4. What sort of tone are you hoping for? Serious and deep, light hearted and heroic, or somewhere in between?
Thank you for the application Hillsy! I have added you onto the roster!

To answer your questions (which I will put in the "questions" section here soon since they are great ones to ask):

1. This does include Tasha's Origins for races. Feel free to use that ruleset for your character build!

2. Artificers are a bit of a touchy class in this setting. I would say they could work, but they wouldn't have an Eberron level of technology available. Yes, it would be more Hupperdook and less Aeor. For those who are not familiar with these locations, think "toned down steampunk" and not "high-powered automatic weapons".

3. It depends on the "re-flavouring" that you go for. If you could expand on this, I would appreciate it, as the concept is a bit too vague to comment on fully right now.

4. The tone is going to be a mix of different elements. There will be moments of celebration and joy, mystery and doubt, sadness and introspection, as well as character development and backstory integration. A journey is oft wrought with a plethora of emotions and outcomes.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Closed Thread