RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Mar 25th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25543
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
WoLT just posted a link to a pretty nice map maker. I'll re-post it here:

Pyromancers Dungeon Painter

Old May 17th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
I had the bright idea to try using Minecraft to make a map. If you don't own it (or know about it) then let me say that I didn't know you lived under the rock next to mine. Anyway, it is a great game and well worth buying. However, if you do own the game it can be used to capture screenshots and use them as maps.

I installed a texture pack that gave everything a grid like quality: Grid Texture Pack.

I built a little ruin in creative mode, flew above it and took a screenshot (f2 I think) looking down when it was all aligned how I liked. (I also hit 'f1' to remove my on-screen images like the arm and inventory). It was a quick and decent option to make a map. One could take this image into a paint program or something and add grid coordinates and token sprites.

Just another option for map making. I'll upload a few example pics if/when I get around to it. I should mention that the grid was a little tricky so one may want to limit the elevation gains. It isn't a perfect system, but it is yet another way to generate maps.

Here is an example:

Last edited by Still_Pond; May 17th, 2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 886
Alexader Alexader Alexader Alexader Alexader Alexader Alexader
My question concerning mapmaking is this, Neverwinter Nights 2, I think.... has a toolset that allows you to design your own campaign modules for the game, that you can import into the game itself and play it like you would play the normal campaign module that comes with the game. It can even be shared for multiplayer purposes, with all of the textures, placable objects, monsters, npcs, etc from the game. My question is has anyone ever used that system to make maps for a PBP game, and would that in anyway violate copyright laws?,...

Im thinking like Create the map in the editor, and then zoom in to the section you need at the time and take a screenshot, The grid inside the editor is still visable, and you could update the monsters positions each round of combat, players positions, Place an NPC Elven ranger, ohh look theres your character.

Last edited by Alexader; Sep 7th, 2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 03:46 AM
Patachu of the Year

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
MAXXimizer
So is there a good map making program out there that isnt hand drawn?
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Evily Adorable
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3270
Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor
Your powers of thread necromancy are growing.

In all seriousness... try MapMaker 3. The beta is available for free. I use it when I build my continents.
Honestly, the best option is to hit up Google and see what software fills your needs. There's everything from basic world builders that are good for general land maps and some really expensive cartography software that will let you detail everything from farming village huts to elaborate fjords.
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 04:50 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7013
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
roll20.net is designed to have games played on it, but it can also be easily used for mapmaking reference.

-me
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 04:12 PM
I am not dragon fodder

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 846
Mokiman Mokiman Mokiman Mokiman Mokiman Mokiman Mokiman
Hooray for thread necromancy!
~Said no one ever.
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 03:44 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Lack of Gravitas
Keep it simple:

Use Google Docs spreadsheets. Not pretty, but very easy to set up. You can even have multiple tabs, and use one of those tabs for PC and enemy stats. So you have everything all in one handy spreadsheet.
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 235
Thaenor Thaenor Thaenor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lack of Gravitas View Post
Keep it simple:

Use Google Docs spreadsheets. Not pretty, but very easy to set up. You can even have multiple tabs, and use one of those tabs for PC and enemy stats. So you have everything all in one handy spreadsheet.
I did the same as you. If your players are trustworthy you can even give them edit permission so that they can change themselves their position as they move along.

But I feel as the spreadsheet isn't quite easy to understand, might raise some confusions...

I'm a beginer cartographer (XD) I just needed to make a map this morning and ran through the web to find some tool that could be handy. All I found was a software called map tool which sucked huge dinosaur balls! It was drawing walls where I did not want them. But I give it the benefit of the doubt, I was in a little bit of a hurry and had no patience for even the lightest learning slope. So it might've been me who didn't get the hang of the software properly.
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 09:35 AM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28249
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Anyone know of other tile-based mappers like this one:
http://www.stonesword.com

It seems pretty decent. I'd forgotten about it -- it came up for me when I mistyped a url and pulled up an old bookmark.

Also, someone (Still_Pond?) once posted some links to open libraries for art for maps, but I can't seem to find them now. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm talking about bits of art for incorporation into GIMP drawn maps for things like stairs, furniture, etc.
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
I don't know about many tile-based mappers that haven't already been mentioned here.

As for the libraries of art, the Dundjinni User Art Forums has a bunch of mapping art. Maptool has a few links to art packs here. Use the links under "the two big starters". There are other helpful links there as well. I have some mapping icons I've drawn up as well here and there are a few others in my mapping galleries in my profile. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Still_Pond; Mar 18th, 2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 01:58 AM
Casual D&D Enthusiast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5573
Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast Enthusiast
I use a program called SMART Notebook to draw my maps (similar to PPT, but designed for use with an interactive whiteboard, and I'm a schoolteacher so I use one o' those). It can be had for free if you're clever about it. You have to use it creatively, and there isn't much in the way of textures or anything, but I think it makes for some clean, tidy grids.

Once I draw up a map, I save it as a JPEG and upload it to Google Docs. And yes, I give my players editing rights so they can move their own tokens (or enemy tokens if they force movement, etc.). I find it works quite nicely. Here's the link to the encounter grid I use in one of my 4e D&D campaigns. Depending where we are at any given time in the campaign, it could be a simple grid or a complex one. The current one (as of posting date) is pretty simplistic, but it gives you an idea of how it operates. (Please don't mess with the tokens! We're in the middle of an encounter!)
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Pipe Dream

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3088
AgentBonkers AgentBonkers AgentBonkers AgentBonkers AgentBonkers AgentBonkers AgentBonkers AgentBonkers AgentBonkers AgentBonkers AgentBonkers
I've been looking about for map tools... many good suggestions here. I must say, for encounter maps, of what i've checked out so far, I like the classic and clean look of http://www.yeoldemapmaker.com/desktop_ver.html
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
Here is another simple on-line map maker.

http://www.stonesword.com/dungeonmaker.php

Old Apr 25th, 2013, 10:25 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7013
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
I went back through this thread and checked through all of the options for free tool (leaving out spreadsheets and picture editors].

Below is a quick review, consisting only of my Mine and only mine. Other experiences and preferences may differ.opinions and experience.

Reviews:

RP Tools
Holy carp, why didn't I get these earlier. While I have little use for the others, MapTool and TokenTool are wonderful. MapTool only has a slight [tt=learning curve]Export/Save files by using the "screenshot" tool[/url] for if you have moderate experience with computers but allows the use of their tokens as well as being able to import your own images, tokens and tiles. TokenTool is a simple interface for creating a token, using drag and drop then "<<" arrows to zoom it to fit correctly.

Gozzys Random Dungeon Map Creator
Sometimes useful, definitely amusing. This could be good for a quick, relatively complex, dungeon layout, but the logic of the layout is sometimes...odd.

AutoRealm
Has a large number of options for making adjustment to your map, but I could not find a way to import my own images - a program killer in my view.

Pyromancers Dungeon Painter
I couldn't get anything but the outlines of the webpage to load in either Chrome or Firefox.

Minecraft
This is definitely not to my taste. I don't like the blocky feel of the maps, though it might be good for 3D dungeons.

Stone Sword Dungeon Maker, World Maker
This is a good tool for making a quick map, but the tiles are too limited for regular use.

Ye Old Map Maker
Too simplified for my taste with the other options out there, though it seems to still be in beta. There is an Android version that I might try for making map ideas while not at home.

Roll20
My current favorite to the extent that I took up the first subscriber level, though normal accounts are free. This allows you to use their bank of tiles and images, as well as importing your own as well. It allows other players to see and interact with it, with different layers for GM control. In spite of this, the learning curve is moderate at worst.

I am glad I went back and reviewed all of these, as I found a few mapping tools that had long ago been posted that I never tried. You could use a number of these in combination with each other; create a map in a map maker, modify it in a image editor (like Gimp), then attach it to a post or publish it for all to view (Roll20).

I will be using Roll20 for publishing and edit my maps for my games, with RPTools or StoneSword for the initial creation of some of the maps.

-me