RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 07:43 AM
Rhymes with 'frothers'

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10046
bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers
Good luck, everyone!!
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 08:44 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12894
Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum
To the judges:
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 08:51 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11042
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
Wow! Some really interesting entries in the mix for this competition. Love the creativity!!
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 10:46 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 44115
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
My votes are in! Now to wait for them to be un secreted so I may lavish you with RPXP <3

Good luck everyone!
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 11:46 AM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18932
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
I voted.

Really cool and fun to read. I had a hard time narrowing down to 5.
PCs: Fioravanti No-Last-Name | Ingetrude "Tru" Frostblossom |Myrrh the Burned
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 01:55 PM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27631
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
Some clarification on the image thing, since this has been brought up:

No, the Round Zero post and its rules do not specifically mention images. However, they do tell you to read the general rule of the competition. It DOES NOT state that those rules do not apply to round zero, only that some rules for round zero can be different, and in the case that there are specific rules for round zero given that contradict the general rules, the specific rules for round zero supersede the general rules. The only argument that could even be remotely made is that the phrasing that it will be clear from the context which rules don't apply to round zero could have been misinterpreted for the rule about images not applying. However, a) there isn't really any reason why the context would imply that it doesn't, since it is in the more detailed rules on word limits and there is no reason that anything there should not apply since round zero has a word limit, and, more importantly, the reason we don't even need to discuss whether or not you agree with a) is that b) that specific part of the general rules (Rule 5) explicitly mentions round zero:

Quote:
[...] and don't include any images, or have any links to outside information.
[...]
Round Zero is a short entry (500 words) but future rounds will have increased limits, usually of 1,500-3,000 words.
Clearly, a rule that specifically mentions round zero also applies to round zero.

I will admit that sometimes some things can be unclear. We are only humans running this competition as well and sometimes things slip through the cracks. However, in this case, the rules are very clear, and even if you try to be generous, the only way to arrive at the conclusion that images weren't prohibited for round zero after reading the rules is by deliberately misinterpreting things or ignoring parts of the rules to fit the narrative.

For the record, none of the people who actually broke the rule are the ones who have questioned whether the rule is applicable, so this is not directed at them. Their entries have been included with the rest, and if they do well enough the penalty won't matter. This is merely a point of clarification as to whether or not the general rules applied to round zero, which some people were questioning.
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 02:24 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13202
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Votes are in. Good luck everyone.
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 06:27 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18724
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Thanks for the clarification Inem.

For me, my only excuse is, "I did this beforeism." Effectively skimmed the rules and believed I remembered everything from my try two years ago As I have a bad memory, I obviously should have slapped myself on the back of the head and read the rules word for word.

"There are many fates worse than a quick and foolish death."

Sun - Thu: I got into Iron DM so status is now set to: Erratic! / Fri & Sat: Usually Unavailable
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 11:18 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16460
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk View Post
Thanks for the clarification Inem.

For me, my only excuse is, "I did this beforeism." Effectively skimmed the rules and believed I remembered everything from my try two years ago As I have a bad memory, I obviously should have slapped myself on the back of the head and read the rules word for word.
Hey all I remember from my last try is that in round one I used the total number of characters count instead of word count.
Old Oct 4th, 2021, 03:12 AM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27631
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
Another note, this time concerning voting, just so no one needs to be concerned or confused: Having an apostrophe in the "about" part of a spoilerbutton breaks the code in some way, so that the spoilerbutton won't open. This comes up every year during the round zero voting (because some people will, reasonably so, call their spoilerbutton something like "Inem's votes"), and I always forget about it again until the following year. It's not a hard fix, I can just go in and edit the post to remove the apostrophe and then it works fine. So anyone who's already voted, don't worry about it. Anyone who's still voting can try to avoid apostrophes, but no big deal if you forget.

I've also added a note to to the round zero voting post, mainly because that way I'll finally remember next year, when I reference this year's post
Old Oct 4th, 2021, 02:37 PM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12761
Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv
I liked almost all the entires. Sorry, to everyone I didn't have enough votes for
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 08:31 AM
The bird with the words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14253
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inem View Post
Another note, this time concerning voting, just so no one needs to be concerned or confused: Having an apostrophe in the "about" part of a spoilerbutton breaks the code in some way, so that the spoilerbutton won't open. This comes up every year during the round zero voting (because some people will, reasonably so, call their spoilerbutton something like "Inem's votes"), and I always forget about it again until the following year. It's not a hard fix, I can just go in and edit the post to remove the apostrophe and then it works fine. So anyone who's already voted, don't worry about it. Anyone who's still voting can try to avoid apostrophes, but no big deal if you forget.

I've also added a note to to the round zero voting post, mainly because that way I'll finally remember next year, when I reference this year's post
Wait, really? I learn something new about the site code every day.

Last edited by HotsuSama; Oct 5th, 2021 at 08:31 AM.
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 08:46 AM
Worldcrafter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34799
Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption
I guess it's been patched, cool! One of those little things you never realize isn't broken because the bug was so rare in the first place.
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 05:59 PM
Literal Worm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9703
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Just popping in to read the entries and cast my vote. Great work all around. Best of luck to the suckers lucky few who make in through!
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 05:02 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11042
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
Polls are closed, and the results are being tallied. I am very excited to see the results!