twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 01-13-2019, 01:49 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 139
Barrier Barrier
Also how easy a system is to learn for you does depend upon how much previous experience if any, you might have with other tabletop rpgs.The other potential problem is when looking for a game is any house rules that the campaign may have. For the most part, the more that the game deviates from the base system, the harder it will be to learn.

Just my 0.02!
Old 02-05-2019, 12:48 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
TronTheAllmighty
5e or Fate if you can get them
Old 02-05-2019, 01:26 PM
Visual, Fight's On!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15534
idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy
If you want to learn Fate, which is awesome but not the world's most play by post friendly system, it has a free SRD so is easy to get. Also, many of the pdfs are pay what you want. If you want something fairly simple and in the D&D fantasy genre 5e is a good choice and very popular but the free SRD is kinda poor on choices. You really want the books for 5e. If you remember 3.5e/PF still you can play PF out of it's monstrously large and comprehensive SRD, it is not the world's best system for ease of learning but if you already know it you should be good to pick it back up.

Last edited by idilippy; 02-05-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:39 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35895
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
@Gerry - what source do you have for those 1e vs. 5e sales numbers?
Old 02-05-2019, 05:54 PM
Visual, Fight's On!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15534
idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy
Back in 2016 Mike Mearls claimed 5e PHB sales had outpaced the lifetime PHB sales of 3e, 3.5e, and 4e but that there were only sketchy records for the sales of 1e and 2e PHBs so couldn't be sure it had outsold those. That was 3 years ago so unless some solid records have come out I'm gonna go with "thin air" for the source on those original D&D sales numbers.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:49 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
nomadzophiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcTraitor View Post
I am just wondering, is there an easy or easy-ish system to start off with if I have never really played before?
Personally, Apocalypse World or and Powered By The Apocalypse games are a great place to start. Most of what you need to know about the system as a player is on your sheet or the Basic Moves sheet, so maybe four pages of material total. The books all have great procedures for how to run a game in their particular world. If you're a confident story teller or have taken a few improv classes, you can get up and running with them quick.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:41 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
auntmousie
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcTraitor View Post
I am just wondering, is there an easy or easy-ish system to start off with if I have never really played before?
IMO, if you've never played before, who you play with is going to be much more important than what you play. The simplest system in the world will still leave you pretty well lost if you're trying to go from zero to mastery. On the other hand, most of us grey-hairs started out with D&D - which was never, ever a simple system - but we worked on it together, and figured it out.

Find people who are patient with beginners, and a game setting that works for you, and the rest is details.

(clink)(clink) there's my two cents.