Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 06:13 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 157
Nyst Nyst
Hey there

Hi everyone! I'm new to this end of gaming, but have played many PC and board games over the years. Last fall I joined my first TTRPG campaign (5e), have been dabbling with Four Against Darkness and homebrew combinations at home, and am looking forward to trying out PbP. I am honestly interested in a variety of settings, so looking forward to seeing what catches my eye. (I should also note that as a kid I played HeroQuest and we also created Death Mazes, that I now realize were pen & paper dungeon crawls).

Regarding the Solo Games, would you recommend I start with 5e since I have some experience with it or is it okay to try something else out?
Old 02-11-2019, 06:24 PM
Wazdakka: King of Flames!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2510
Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers
Hello and welcome to the site.

I hope you find everything you're looking for in our little corner of the internet

I'm going to recommend that you definitely try a solo game but there are other people, who'll be along drekly, who are better placed to recommend a particular system. Am I right in thinking, from what you've said, that you're into the more traditional "sword and sorcery" type game?
Old 02-11-2019, 06:43 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Nyst Nyst
It's true that I'm most familiar with it in this setting and in my most recent (book) readings (Realm of the Elderlings) have me in fantasy-head right now. My interests are pretty wide-spread though and include sci-fi, horror, weird fiction to mysterious circumstances to meloncholic, depressing tales...I could keep going. Mostly I'm interested in something with a good story hook or an intriguing setting.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:51 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers
Well, you'll find plenty of that stuff here! In terms of what system you choose though, I believe it's the same adventure for each of themand it's just the ruleset that changes, but someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.

I also believe that 5E is by far the most popular system on the site.

Watch this space though
Old 02-11-2019, 07:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13264
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Welcome to the club chummer!

I'd also suggest the 5e solo game. Not just because it's the most popular, but also because it has the most talented, attractive, intelligent, and humble GMs around

Do you have any stories to share from your time gaming?

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!
If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:54 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 54960
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
welcome!

Cool name! Just got a nice sound to it. Glad you joined us, hope you love it here, and hang around a thousand games.

Not all at once, of course.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:19 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Nyst Nyst
Haha, thanks everyone. 5e solo run it is.

Stories...well, I lassoed a giant spider a few weeks ago...haha. Besides that, I feel I'm still building the stories. In a homebrew, developing as we go along (lots of decisions develop around dice rolls & lists) I recently determined that my dwarf cleric is from a seafaring monastery (happy to share more for anyone interested as I develop the idea). Those are the most interesting or amusing things that come to mind at the moment.

Please feel free to share one as well.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:30 AM

Tools
User Statistics
That's a novel concept! Puts me in mind of Stormsong Valley in World of Warcraft.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:34 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18178
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Goodmorning Nyst

- does your username mean anything special? -

Welcome over here and 5E is a good choice to start, rules light and very popular around here so enough Games to try and get into. Have you been cruising the site yet and checked out the Games that are advertising? Spotted anything you felt inspired by?
Old 02-12-2019, 03:41 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Nyst Nyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocoladevla View Post
Goodmorning Nyst

- does your username mean anything special? -
- Honestly, I brainstormed a list until one felt right. It was likely inspired by a combination of things and some automatic randomization system in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocoladevla View Post
Welcome over here and 5E is a good choice to start, rules light and very popular around here so enough Games to try and get into. Have you been cruising the site yet and checked out the Games that are advertising? Spotted anything you felt inspired by?
- There have been a few things. Choosing is always difficult for me.

Last edited by Nyst; 02-12-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:34 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2779
Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn Atrayn
Welcome Nyst! Enjoy your time here and let us know if you need anything as you get settled in!

Currently playing in West Marches: Westhaven; West Marches: Everlasting Unknown; and Hoard of the Dragon Queen DMing in West Marches: Westhaven