Notices

Old Nov 11th, 2021, 07:07 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Lunarc Lunarc
Question Viability of Forged in the Dark mechanics in PbP games

In my introduction post a few month ago, I wrote about my interest in Savage Worlds and a couple of persons expressed reservations about it because some mechanics may be hard to implement in a PbP game.

I thought a bit about it and it didn't take me long to realise what they were referring to: the playing cards based initiative, the heavy use of opposed checks during combats, the open ended nature of the dice rolls or just the fact it doesn't have an open SRD makes SW impractical to use in PbP games.

The next game in line for me is anything Forged in the Dark by Evil Hat Productions. And there, I noticed that someone had run a game of Blades in the Dark on RPGX. It ended prematurely unfortunately, but still, I saw the use of the Flashback rule which is the main thing I can think of that would be remotely troublesome to work with in PbP.

Which leads to my question. Does anyone, have an opinion about Forged in the Dark mechanics in PbP games?
Old Nov 11th, 2021, 07:42 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 40087
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Forged is a Powered by the Apocalypse type game, yeah? There's a General Discussion thread with lots of posts. You might want to check there.
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 12:05 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Lunarc Lunarc
It is and you couldn't have better answered my question, thanks.
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 01:43 AM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 40087
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
You're welcome.
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 08:17 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30892
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
In addition, there are at least two active Blades in the Dark games active right now, both run by PopCultureBard.

I'm in If you click my username, my character thread is linked in the dropdown.one of them, and I'm still getting used to the mechanics, so I don't have strong opinions. On one hand, the focus on the narrative and the nonlinearity work great with PbP. On the other hand, it's a system that seems intensely reliant on frequent out-of-character banter and negotiation. That strikes me as a not-so-great fit. But I'm still keeping an open mind. No system ever invented is perfect for PbP.
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 08:42 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Lunarc Lunarc
I checked the game and I saw the level of communication that you guys put together behind the scene. Not ideal indeed when you spend more time writing about how you are going to play than really playing.

However, in that case, I think the issue is more a consequence of the type of adventure than really a question of mechanics.

In my experience, anything that requires a bit of planning in RPG always require a lots of back and forth, and since Blades in the Dark puts you in the action before you have the time to do this brainstorming, you have all that catch up to do while playing.

On a side note, I have to say that the quality of the posts in there made me a bit self-conscious about my own English. Is it something I can expect across the board on the forum?
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 11:40 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30892
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Of course writing quality varies from game to game and player to player. Partly it’s a matter of the GM setting expectations. But… yes, one of the main things that drew me to RPGX relative to other PbP sites is the depth of thought and high quality of writing that goes into most games. Sometimes it’s a little intimidating. But it also makes for great games! I’ve definitely developed into a better writer by participating on the site, and I’d encourage you to not let it scare you away. We all have days of better and worse writing, of more and fewer words.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; Nov 19th, 2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 11:20 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Lunarc Lunarc
Thanks for the encouraging words Wyn.

Honestly, I am a bit surprised at how quickly I am improving. It might not show in my posts - I don't think my English improved that much in 2 months - but I can definitely see it in the time I take to write them.