Game Thread Grave Robbers?? - Page 19 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #271  
Old May 15th, 2014, 06:19 PM
dragonfire's Avatar
dragonfire dragonfire is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 18th, 2015
RPXP: 887
dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire
Posts: 5,890
The dwarf looks at you and merely shrugs, Neither will do me much good where you are taking me. Donavin steps up to ensure that he will watch the dwarf along with the corpse while you take care of the mimic. As you start to leave the dwarf speaks again. you don't have to fight it if you don't wish, only those related to those buried down there have any business being there to begin with, and as I am the last of my line, there will be no further reason for anyone to visit. I doubt I will be allowed a proper buriel so it matters not if it is sealed
__________________
(\__/) A true warrior does not fight for honor but with honor
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination!! Come over to the Darkside we have cookies.
  #272  
Old May 17th, 2014, 05:51 AM
Moridain's Avatar
Moridain Moridain is offline
Massively Multitasking
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 8th, 2019
RPXP: 10833
Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain
Posts: 16,979
Selte sighs, "Shen is right to want to destroy it. I doubt it will just sit down there and starve to death, it will wander out and find food if it fails to come here. And there is a good chance that those it finds will be less able to deal with it."

Shen nods, then turns to Donavin, "Have no mercy on him. He is a mage and would need just a moment to turn himself invisible and flee if given even an instants freedom, and has every reason to do so."

They had gagged him before leaving him behind, not wanting to burden Donavin with his tale of woe, when there was little he could do about it.

They then head back inside, to face the foe.
_______________

After several minutes of discussion they decide to use attrition against the creature. Getting into close combat is clearly unwise, so Shen will stand back and fire with his bow while Selte blasts it with flame. He hopes that will be enough to destroy it before it can get close enough to latch on to one of them.

And so, after Selte charges his Arcane Reserves with the last of his higher magics, Shen opens the door and lets loose the first of his arrows, followed swiftly by a bolt of flame!
oocIf he isn't in the room, having gone off to find the wolves or disguised himself again, Selte will Detect Magic until they find his hiding spot and then this happens again.

Initiative, or do you want to just RP this out?
__________________
"Live each day as if it were your last, 'cause I'm gonna kill you but I'm not super-good w/ schedules."
- Joss Whedon
  #273  
Old May 17th, 2014, 04:41 PM
dragonfire's Avatar
dragonfire dragonfire is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 18th, 2015
RPXP: 887
dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire
Posts: 5,890
Going to the original room that you first found the mimic, you find that he has indeed left the room, following your suspicions you make your way towards the room with the now dead undead wolfs. Making your way to the room using your sense magic ability you do sense a magical aura coming from the room that wasn't there before.


OOCGive me a stealth check to see if you can get a surprise round and the initiatives.
__________________
(\__/) A true warrior does not fight for honor but with honor
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination!! Come over to the Darkside we have cookies.
  #274  
Old May 17th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Moridain's Avatar
Moridain Moridain is offline
Massively Multitasking
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 8th, 2019
RPXP: 10833
Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain
Posts: 16,979
When they don't find him in the initial room, Shen keeps going forward on silent feet, Selte following behind about fifteen feet back as to not give away his more stealthy companion.

Opening the door, he looks in to see where in the room the creature is, knowing that it will be better to retreat if it is too close lest the previous situation repeat itself!
oocI still don't have Shens sheet, so I am making some guesses:

Dex +3, BAB +3, masterwork longbow bow +1. (+7 to hit), 1d8 damage.
Stealth rank 4, Dex 3, class 3 (+10)
AC: +3 dex, +4 chain shirt - 17 AC

Dice Shen Stealth:
1d20+10 (17)+10 Total = 27
Dice initiative Shen Selte:
1d20+3 (17)+3 Total = 20
1d20+5 (14)+5 Total = 19
__________________
"Live each day as if it were your last, 'cause I'm gonna kill you but I'm not super-good w/ schedules."
- Joss Whedon
  #275  
Old May 17th, 2014, 05:01 PM
dragonfire's Avatar
dragonfire dragonfire is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 18th, 2015
RPXP: 887
dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire
Posts: 5,890
Opening the door to the room where you let the undead wolves, you see the mimic over towards the far end devouring one of the creatures, a sight that's nearly enough to make anyone sick to their stomach as patches of flesh and fur drop to the ground as the mimic chews on the creature and the sounds of bones snap in its jaws. Waiting a moment you find that it doesn't know you are their giving you a clear advantage in this attack.

OOCGo for surprise round
__________________
(\__/) A true warrior does not fight for honor but with honor
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination!! Come over to the Darkside we have cookies.
  #276  
Old May 17th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Moridain's Avatar
Moridain Moridain is offline
Massively Multitasking
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 8th, 2019
RPXP: 10833
Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain
Posts: 16,979
Shen glances back quickly to Selte, then fires across the room at the Mimics back, aiming for a fleshy part of its anatomy in hope the arrow will penetrate.

Selte follows up on this with a burst of searing flame, hot enough to make Shen wince away for a moment as it passes by him to strike the unsuspecting creature. The mage winces, regretful of the need to destroy such a fascinating creature. But its attack on them proved that it could not just be left alone, not when they were here to take it out.

He smirks quietly to himself then at his other reason: it would be nice to dig through its gutts to see what valuables it has taken as well...
oocStraight shots.
Dice Shen attack damage:
1d20+7 (1)+7 Total = 8
1d8 2
Dice Selte touchattack damage:
1d20+3 (3)+3 Total = 6
2d6 1, 3 Total = 4

Edit: Those rolls...
__________________
"Live each day as if it were your last, 'cause I'm gonna kill you but I'm not super-good w/ schedules."
- Joss Whedon

Last edited by Moridain; May 17th, 2014 at 05:17 PM.
  #277  
Old May 18th, 2014, 09:11 PM
dragonfire's Avatar
dragonfire dragonfire is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 18th, 2015
RPXP: 887
dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire
Posts: 5,890
with your attacks missing the mimic, it turns around suddenly spotting you. Throwing the remaining parts of the wolf to the side it makes its way towards you.

Init Order
Shen
Selte
Mimic
__________________
(\__/) A true warrior does not fight for honor but with honor
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination!! Come over to the Darkside we have cookies.
  #278  
Old May 18th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Moridain's Avatar
Moridain Moridain is offline
Massively Multitasking
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 8th, 2019
RPXP: 10833
Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain
Posts: 16,979
Not wanting to allow the mimic close enough to do them harm, Shen and Selte both move away from the creature. They then fire once again, hoping for better results this time.

Once again Seltes flame travels close to Shen, and he curses, "Careful!" he cries, to Seltes hurried apology.
oocTrying to keep at a distance of 25+ feet, heading south toward the entrance if necessary.
Dice Shen:
1d20+7 (9)+7 Total = 16
1d8 2
Selte flame darts again. Touch attack.
Dice Selte:
1d20+3 (8)+3 Total = 11
2d6 5, 4 Total = 9
Selte: 5 arcane resuvuar left, 0 remaining spell slots.
__________________
"Live each day as if it were your last, 'cause I'm gonna kill you but I'm not super-good w/ schedules."
- Joss Whedon

Last edited by Moridain; May 18th, 2014 at 09:43 PM.
  #279  
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:01 AM
dragonfire's Avatar
dragonfire dragonfire is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 18th, 2015
RPXP: 887
dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire
Posts: 5,890
Having fired your shoots you both find that your aim was true and arrow and flame both burst in the mimic. As you move back it continues its way towards you but much to your relief you notice that the mimic Is a very slow moving creature.

OOCwith that strategy the Mimic wont be able to attack either of you
__________________
(\__/) A true warrior does not fight for honor but with honor
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination!! Come over to the Darkside we have cookies.
  #280  
Old May 21st, 2014, 09:49 AM
Moridain's Avatar
Moridain Moridain is offline
Massively Multitasking
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 8th, 2019
RPXP: 10833
Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain
Posts: 16,979
With a look of mild sadness, Selte continues to blast while Shen continues to shoot. As they lose the ability to retreat directly away, Shen keeps a watch on the creature while Selte moves swiftly behind the creature before attacking again from a side passage.

In this way the pair give the Mimic no chance to retaliate, until it is worn down by flame and arrow.

oocYeah, a mimic without surprise or a hostage is actually kind of a pitiful thing.

Rather than battle this out, mind if we just say 'you win'?
__________________
"Live each day as if it were your last, 'cause I'm gonna kill you but I'm not super-good w/ schedules."
- Joss Whedon
  #281  
Old May 21st, 2014, 07:18 PM
dragonfire's Avatar
dragonfire dragonfire is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 18th, 2015
RPXP: 887
dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire
Posts: 5,890
OOCI was actually kind of thinking the same thing. With a 10 foot speed there is no way it could ever get near you unless you backed yourself into a corner. If I remember correctly your detect magic is an at will ability


Playing this cheating game of hit and run with the slow moving mimic you find that it hasn't healed up from your last encounter so it doesn't take long to finish it off with a number of well placed arrows and fire bolts.
After the creature falls dead you are still able to detect some sort of magic coming from it, it would appear as if the magic you were sensing wasn't coming from the mimic but something it has.
__________________
(\__/) A true warrior does not fight for honor but with honor
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination!! Come over to the Darkside we have cookies.
  #282  
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:14 PM
Moridain's Avatar
Moridain Moridain is offline
Massively Multitasking
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 8th, 2019
RPXP: 10833
Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain
Posts: 16,979
Selte looks as though he were the one just defeated as they approach the smoldering remains of the creature. "I really really wish we didn't need to do that."

Shen is confused, "Why? It was a monster."

The mage looks scornful, "Being a non-human isn't enough reason to slaughter a creature!" he turns to the creature and slumps again, "But this one attacked us when we came in. If it had left us alone, picking on animals and doing other small mischief... Well, not only wouldn't I have attacked it myself but I might even have invited it to come back with us."

The Inquisitor is shocked, "Into town? B-but it isn't... Surely you couldn't..."

Selte looks amused, "Why not? If it swore not to harm any sentient creature then it could find several very good places for its particular talents. Imagine if it worked for a moneylender? Hangs out in the vault and eats any burglars. Or perhaps in a mages store, holding valuable rings and things as a glass cabinet, producing items as requested and taking the hands of any thieves trying for a five finger discount. It could even be paid in fresh meats and shiny coins..."

Shen is less convinced, "So, why kill it?"

"Because it proved that it was willing to attack a pair of well prepared people!" Selte says, frustrated and still regretful, "Even if it swore never to do again its word didn't match its clear lack of intellect. It would try again, thinking it had tricked us, and then it would be our fault."

Without another word he heads forward and starts picking at the remains, looking for the item that was glowing as well as having Shen pry free any coins and gems it may have had in its body.
__________________
"Live each day as if it were your last, 'cause I'm gonna kill you but I'm not super-good w/ schedules."
- Joss Whedon
  #283  
Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:07 PM
dragonfire's Avatar
dragonfire dragonfire is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 18th, 2015
RPXP: 887
dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire
Posts: 5,890
After lementing over having to kill the mimic, you wander over to it and start to go over it to locate the object giving off the magical aura. After a bit of searching you find an unusual looking belt. This belt appears to be made of small pieces of leather that have been joined together by metal studs. Nothing else seems to be of any importance or value here with the mimic.
__________________
(\__/) A true warrior does not fight for honor but with honor
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination!! Come over to the Darkside we have cookies.
  #284  
Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:40 PM
Moridain's Avatar
Moridain Moridain is offline
Massively Multitasking
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 8th, 2019
RPXP: 10833
Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain
Posts: 16,979
After taking the belt and putting it with the other magical items to investigate later, the pair head out to the gravekeeper to check that their prisoner is there. It had been a productive mission financially speaking, enough so that if the man had escaped then Selte wouldn't lament too hard. But a job is a job and Shen would be unmanageable if they didn't take him back.

So, with a look of resignation he approaches cautiously, drained of magic as he is.

Shen is blank faced, his bow out once more but no arrow in hand as of yet. He has more faith in their gravekeeping friend.
__________________
"Live each day as if it were your last, 'cause I'm gonna kill you but I'm not super-good w/ schedules."
- Joss Whedon
  #285  
Old May 22nd, 2014, 06:51 PM
dragonfire's Avatar
dragonfire dragonfire is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 18th, 2015
RPXP: 887
dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire dragonfire
Posts: 5,890
Making your way back to the Donavins place of residence and business, you find that he and the dwarf sitting comfortable on the pourch awaiting your return. Everything all taken care of then? Not going to have anymore graves get dug up am I?

OOCYour making out like abit of a bandit with items. Originally this was for at least 2 people so they would have been divided but hey you ended up having to go solo
__________________
(\__/) A true warrior does not fight for honor but with honor
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination!! Come over to the Darkside we have cookies.

Last edited by dragonfire; May 22nd, 2014 at 06:53 PM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:31 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB