Notices

Old Nov 28th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Rat of Dubious Liniage
Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1731
Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine
The Peanut Gallery

This thread is open to the entire DNDOG community. Feel free to chime in as you see fit. Please hold off on any discussions about the ingredients until judgement for that round is posted.

Iron DM is a contest. Basically, sort of like Iron Chef- you pit your GM-Fu against other contestants:

What is IRON DM?
An Iron DM tournament is a contest in which writers show their ability to turn a collection of random ingredients into a cohesive adventure over a short period of time.
Created by Nemmerle (a regular of the EN Boards and co-creator of the Rat Bastard DM Forum), the tournament was inspired by the tongue-in-cheek cooking show Iron Chef. Whereas the show’s contestants fashion several dishes out of a single random ingredient, however, Iron DM contestants fashion a single adventure out of several random ingredients. These ingredients may include locations (Millhouse, sinking island, filthy nursery), creatures (goblin prince, wyvern, guttersnipe), objects (limes, broken teeth, rod of wonder), or more abstract elements (betrayal, typhoon, vengeance).

A single round in the tournament consists of two contestants pairing off against one another. The tournament judge gives both contestants the same set of ingredients (usually six) and a set length of time in which to create the adventure (usually between four and twenty-four hours). Once both entries are in, the judge reads them and evaluates both their qualities as an adventure and their creative and appropriate use of ingredients. The judge then issues a ruling, usually accompanied by a detailed critique of each adventure. The winner of a round advances, until the tournament’s final round produces the Iron DM. Most tournaments are single-elimination and have eight contestants..

The tournament helps DMs hone several important skills, including the ability to fashion interesting stories out of the unpredictable actions of PCs (mimicked in the tournament by the judge’s ingredient list), the ability to create memorable spectacles and characters, the flexibility to accommodate multiple paths into and through an adventure, and an exploration of the consequences and aftermaths of an adventure. In addition, several DMs have used Iron DM tournament entries in whole or in part in their own games.

Last edited by Colatine; Nov 28th, 2007 at 09:10 AM.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Rat of Dubious Liniage
Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008

Tools
User Statistics
Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine
My email address is ppanavalli AT Yh.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
NottinghamsFoe
For Rule 8, we post in the Game Thread, right? If I happen to post mine first, should I use the SECRET text for you?

Thank you, N'sF

Last edited by NottinghamsFoe; Nov 29th, 2007 at 09:56 AM.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Rat of Dubious Liniage
Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008

Tools
User Statistics
Great Idea, just secret text it.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11153
Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus
Secret text AND spoiler it please, to prevent me from temptation!
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Experimental Cork!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 94
Chaopsychochick
This is so on like Donkey Kong! >.> Sorry... I had to... Also, I am not gonna get **** done at work though... Fortunately I have a good idea what to do for the adventure.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Rat of Dubious Liniage
Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008

Tools
User Statistics
Yep, its all fun until you have that one ingredient that doesn't work well with ANYTHING! It used to drive me nuts. Part of the fun too actually.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Experimental Cork!

Tools
User Statistics
Chaopsychochick
Actually I think I have all of the ingredients worked out rather nicely. It is all coming together now... Yes... Yes... Those poor adventurers won't have a clue as to what hit them. Thunk... There goes another one...

Also, I think I may need to use this adventure in a game I am running... Maybe...

Last edited by Chaopsychochick; Nov 29th, 2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Rat of Dubious Liniage
Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaopsychochick
Actually I think I have all of the ingredients worked out rather nicely. It is all coming together now... Yes... Yes... Those poor adventurers won't have a clue as to what hit them. Thunk... There goes another one...

Also, I think I may need to use this adventure in a game I am running... Maybe...
I think you are trying to psychologically dismantle Robison.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Experimental Cork!

Tools
User Statistics
Chaopsychochick
Is it working? Although, it is still true... Even if I am being a little bit yeah. But you said some smack talk was encouraged. But now with this, Robison is totally gonna come back and have some amazing adventure that will just kick my but. Dangit... I don't want that to happen. Oh well, I guess all I can do is just give it my best right?
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Renegade (pod)Caster
Iron DM 2007

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5051
RoBi RoBi RoBi RoBi RoBi RoBi RoBi RoBi RoBi RoBi RoBi
Half way done with my adventure. I think I may take a nap before I finish typing up and posting it.

Also Chopstick, I might not be able to orphan your nonexistent children, but rest assure that after tonight someone will be orphaned.....eer...by me!
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Rat of Dubious Liniage
Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008

Tools
User Statistics
hey Sed, wake up Dink- give him a call! Yes, trash talking is a must.

Last edited by Colatine; Nov 29th, 2007 at 10:57 AM.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus
He's not on any of the IM clients I have him on, so I'll go phone him.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Smacked him... he's currently busy toying about with the corpse of his old pc. (personal computer, not player charater)
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Dynomite! Dynomite!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37
Dinkleberg
I switched some wires here and there, so here I am Let's rock, shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colatine
Round 1, battle 3- Sed Vs Dink or why the Dutch never won the world cup.
I ought to neg you for that.

Last edited by Dinkleberg; Nov 29th, 2007 at 11:14 AM.