Game Thread Episode 0: Ties That Bind - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Star Wars RPG > Star Wars: Echoes of Darkness
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 09:17 PM
Rockerboy's Avatar
Rockerboy Rockerboy is offline
very preem, choom
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 1729
Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy
Posts: 741
GM@EMIW: The following is available on any of the devices, for the purpose of search information:


Search area 1 is the closest, being just beyond the overhang. Search area 2 likely follows the dry riverbed around to the north, and separates away from that. Search area 3 is in more dense jungle.

The estimated space of area 1 is around 1 mile by 1 mile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map1.png
Views:	48
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	101847  
__________________
GMing:
Star Wars | X-Men | Ronin
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 09:33 AM
Touketsu's Avatar
Touketsu Touketsu is offline
Mysterious Ice Ninja
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 12909
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Posts: 5,904
Gage
right-aligned image


Chiss certainly weren't built for the jungle climate, and the skinny engineer huffing his way down the riverbed was no exception. The resting spot was certainly a welcome sight, not only to catch a breather in a place of relative security, but also to review what they knew and discuss options. Certainly there were plenty of areas to begin their search, each with unique pros and cons... so, where to begin? Gage glanced over at Corr. He'd presented a compelling counterpoint regarding Gage's earlier argument for sticking with the riverbed, and there seemed to be little reason beyond arbitrary preference for pushing for it.

"Well, seeing as Area 3 is the furthest and would require us trekking through the other survey areas first anyway, it's safe to say it's probably out as a starting point. So if 1 and 2 are the only real options... I think I probably agree with Chess. We're practically already in Area 1 anyway, so may as well start there. As for the method..." He shrugged. "I feel like walking the perimeter and then moving inward is thorough, but would take a lot of time and toll on us. Moving back and forth in a line from the southern part of the area forward in sweeps would be more thorough and efficient. Not that I'm the expert on area searches."

Nobody here really was, but if anyone knew about properly searching an area while staying aware of the terrain, it was probably Keia. Gage looked over toward her questioningly. Perhaps after she or Trag climbed up and got a better look at the surroundings, they'd be able to chime in with something valuable to finalize a decision.
Rolls & ActionsFor the time being, Gage will periodically cast Temporary Boost to add 1d4 to any ability checks the rest of the party makes as we travel.
Character Sheet
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 08:08 PM
Rockerboy's Avatar
Rockerboy Rockerboy is offline
very preem, choom
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 1729
Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy
Posts: 741
GM

The overhang offers everything promised; from solid cover, some shelter from the sun and a chance to reassess and prepare. With the search areas outlined on datapads, plans began to fall into place regarding where to begin. Search area one seemed a good point, and estimations on the lesser jungle density - due to the dry riverbed and lack of surrounding water supply to toroc trees - meant that area might prove easier to move through, as opposed to search area three.

As final plans were being made, however...

Across the dry riverbed, a pair of - far smaller - Brintaks were sighted. They lacked the thicker black fur or size of the alpha hunter the group had seen earlier. Both had walked a little too closely to the edge of the jungle opposite the group, unintentionally revealing themselves to those paying attention.

It was evident the pair were alone, potentially scouting for a meal for a larger pack, which meant two things: the group had an opportunity to get the drop on the pair of hunters, who undoubtedly were prepared to call their fellow Brintaks; and doing so, before the juvenile creatures could realize their stalking mistake, could lessen the threat of the pack overall if further confrontation was in the cards.

In the distance, a howl erupted; it was one of the pack, and it sounded a good few miles off, based on the echo and faintness.

Across the way, both Brintaks perked their ears, even as one began to move to respond...

All Crew Members:
Seeing the two juvenile Brintaks, who are likely scouting for the pack, offers a surprise attack - should you decide to take it...
__________________
GMing:
Star Wars | X-Men | Ronin

Last edited by Rockerboy; Mar 6th, 2024 at 02:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 11:40 AM
Mitsubachi's Avatar
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi is online now
Busy Bee
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 7338
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi
Posts: 3,429
Keia
right-aligned image

The tech boys debate about various search patterns and zones in the afternoon humidity.

Keia takes another swig of water from her canteen.

Tragobha speaks up after her suggestion of climbing up a tree, and Keia is slightly taken aback.

"I'm the best climber here. I can go up and take a look around."

She glances to the Dug. Is he just dismissing me? Or is it a challenge? Their last tussle was a long time ago. He has grown into a long-limbed but compact mass of muscle. Keia believes that he probably is the best climber. And she has no doubt she would not last five minutes in a fight with him again. Not now.

Or maybe he is just trying to be helpful?

So Keia is not sure how she should react, when an unsettling feeling suddenly comes over her. Something about that overhang where the others are sitting. There's something... wrong with it.

"Hey, guys, do you want to come out from that shade a moment. I... I just have a bad feeling about it..."

There is no chance to worry about this further. Her ears pick something up and Keia whirls to see something across the other side of the dry riverbed. Kriff! Why didn't I notice them before?

Two juvenile Brintaks are there, just a little way into the jungle. They must be hunting from the way they move. And a distant calling-howl confirms her suspicion. That means a whole pack is nearby!

It does not seem possible that the whole group are going to be able to escape the notice of the beasts. Keia bites her lip. On the other hand, from the way they are snuffling, she thinks the juveniles have not spotted them yet. They have just a few moments.

Keia whips out her little scout pistol. It is a shame to have to kill, but the Brintaks are aggressive hunters, and they will surely attack.

"We got trouble," she hisses to the others. She looks specifically at Darro and Tragobha, and points with her pistol in the relevant direction into the forest. The Dug and the speeder pilot have the most powerful weaponry. So she addresses them in a whisper. "We should take them out before they bring more onto us..."


OOCReady/delay action, but passing a few words to activate everyone else.


Character Sheet / Hit Points: 10 / PP: 13 / AC: 13 / Conditions: None

Last edited by Mitsubachi; Feb 10th, 2024 at 12:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 02:02 PM
Drachenspirit's Avatar
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 13th, 2024
RPXP: 34256
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Posts: 27,764
Tragobha
right-aligned image
He moved out of the shade to see what Keia's bad feeling was all about, thinking that if he saw nothing he might reply with a veiled insult of sorts.

As her feeling proved to be true, so he too decided to prove he was just as capable as she was and raised his blaster rifle.
"And so we shall", he said and fired at the one who had the best profile to take a shot at. The 20 to hit, 7 damageblaster bolt slammed into the creature.

 

__________________
Posting Status: Decent - If a reply is needed from me either in a game I am in as a player or as a DM/GM, please send me a PM.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 04:30 AM
Lazer's Avatar
Lazer Lazer is online now
He/Him
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 26297
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Posts: 4,822
Corr Shule
right-aligned image
As usual, Chess and Gage had made some good points, and Corr agreed.

"Sounds good," he said, although there was some doubt nagging in the back of his mind. "No. It makes perfect sense."

It did make sense. So why was he feeling like this? Had he missed something? It was only when Keia asked them to move out from the overhang that he realised it was that making him uneasy. It must have been one of those weird twin things that they sometimes got.

"Yeah," he said standing and grabbing his pack, "let's…"

But he couldn't finish the thought as Keia had drawn her pistol and pointed out the brintaks scouting a little way around the riverbed. As expected, Tragobha was immediately ready to shoot first, scoring a nasty hit on the flank of one of the creatures. Feeling slow and clumsy in comparison, Corr drew his own weapon and sighted on the injured brintak. He would have liked to spend some time watching them, trying to predict their patterns and any weak spots that he could find, but it was obviously too late for that now so he just pulled the trigger and hoped for the best. His red blaster bolt caught it in the rear flank, obviously not doing as much damage as Tragobha's much more powerful weapon.

 
 
__________________
Current status: Still alive! The school holidays combined with a kitchen renovation have kept me from my PC, but I'll get back to my games as soon as I can. Sorry for the absence!

Last edited by Lazer; Feb 10th, 2024 at 04:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 04:49 PM
DraconigenaArma's Avatar
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma is offline
The Original Dragon Man
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 12385
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
Posts: 21,468
DarroDue to the unease he previously felt, Darro never began to lounge while they conferred over the maps. He stood off to the side, keeping an eye on the woods. And there they came, two brintaks, which is what he expected, but hoped he was wrong about. There is little good in saying things such as, I knew it or I told you so, and instead Darro draws his first blaster, squeezing a wild hip-shot off into the underbrush as he takes a few more steps off to the side. The last thing they need are the two beasts coordinating, so a side shuffle, in his mind, will help split their attention.

 
__________________
Current Games:
The Knick Knacks of Doom

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; Feb 10th, 2024 at 04:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 07:11 PM
Mitsubachi's Avatar
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi is online now
Busy Bee
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 7338
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi
Posts: 3,429
Keia
right-aligned image

Darro and Tragobha immediately get the idea and blast at the brintaks. It will be hard to bring down such tough creatures in one volley - even juveniles.

The tech boys also add their firepower.

Keia takes a moment to set herself, take a stance with feet shoulder-width apart and pistol held two-handed straight in front with arms straight. She sights the brintak carefully, then adds her own shot to the surprise ambush...


OOCOK will take my delayed action now after everyone has gone, using Ranger Quarry to mark whichever one is still standing, to hit is 17, damage 9 if that is good enough.


Character Sheet / Hit Points: 10 / PP: 13 / AC: 13 / Conditions: None

Last edited by Mitsubachi; Feb 10th, 2024 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Get my friends' names right!
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 07:57 PM
Rockerboy's Avatar
Rockerboy Rockerboy is offline
very preem, choom
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 1729
Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy
Posts: 741
All Crew Members:
The first Brintak falls dead, after a combined surprise attack from Tragobha and Corr; the second Brintak takes a punishing shot from Keia and looks heavily injured. Gage to complete the round.
__________________
GMing:
Star Wars | X-Men | Ronin

Last edited by Rockerboy; Feb 10th, 2024 at 07:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 08:52 AM
Touketsu's Avatar
Touketsu Touketsu is offline
Mysterious Ice Ninja
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 12909
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Posts: 5,904
Gage
right-aligned image


Gage, far from an expert on outdoor survival OR combat, was characteristically quick to trust the instincts of the others over his own. It was a good thing too; the chiss sighed with relief as immediate danger seemed avoided... until it was pointed out that the two juvenile brintaks were only one small detachment of a much larger group. They were going to HAVE to fight. Swallowing hard, the engineer poked his head out, flinching as the others began to fire on the animals in a preemptive strike. It was mostly effective, quickly downing one of the two and injuring the second.

But not dropping.

"Ah... bolts." Gage's hand shook as he considered reaching for the weapon in his bag. Unlike the others, Gage's blaster wasn't holstered... or remotely accessible in a moment of emergency need. The chiss hated handling weapons to a degree bordering on phobia. Hell, carrying the sonic blaster he currently had at all was only due to extreme pressures put on him from others, his father included. A lot of words like "just in case" and "only for emergencies" had been tossed around... as if that made the boy feel any more secure with a gun.

"..." After a couple of seconds that may as well have been hours to him, Gage's hand snapped back away from his pack, whipping back up to the pad on his wrist instead. He was too nervous to use a blaster, but he couldn't risk letting the creature get the attention of the bigger pack. Hastily punching in a few commands and adjusting the tolerances on his device, Gage thrust out his arm in the direction of the brintak and clenched his eyes shut, hoping for the best as an electric blast of overcharged energy released from the emitter and shot toward the beast.
Rolls & Actions
Action: Gage casts Short Circuit at the remaining brintak

Short CircuitAttack: 25
Damage: 6 lightning
Character Sheet
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath!
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 09:18 AM
Rockerboy's Avatar
Rockerboy Rockerboy is offline
very preem, choom
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 1729
Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy
Posts: 741
GM

The suddenness of the attack is unexpected, as both Brintaks are caught flatfooted and by surprise. The first is impacted by two blaster bolts, while a third fires off wide into the jungle beyond; though that is enough to drop the first creature, as it slumps and tumbles down into the dried riverbed with a gurgle and thud.

The second Brintak is quickly dispatched with equal fervor, as a resounding shot impacts it heavily, followed by the arc of electrical lightning from the wristpad. The creature shudders, steps, then falls flat - already dead - on the rock it had been perched on.

Between each of you the threat has been dealt with. And while it may have seemed simple, each of you know that Brintaks are pack hunters, and that is where their strength lies - and while a pair might be killed easily, the same could not be said for six or seven. Also, there doesn't seem to be any follow up howls from the pack, potentially indicating they remain unaware of what has happened...

Now, as adrenaline recedes, there is opportunity to finish plans and prepare to move out.

All Crew Members:
The two juvenile Brintaks are now dead, with the pack still some miles away and - hopefully - none the wiser, which leaves you with the option to finish preparations and decide on a search area to begin
__________________
GMing:
Star Wars | X-Men | Ronin

Last edited by Rockerboy; Mar 6th, 2024 at 03:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 09:54 AM
Lazer's Avatar
Lazer Lazer is online now
He/Him
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 26297
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Posts: 4,822
Corr Shule
right-aligned image
The two brintaks that they could see were down and Corr stood for long seconds waiting to see if anything else would happen. All seemed still.

"Is that it?" he wondered, "How do we know if the pack is coming?"

For now at least they seemed to be safe so he holstered his blaster and turned back to look at the overhang. Why did it feel so… odd?

He stepped slowly back under it, examining the exposed stone slowly and carefully, and finding himself drawn to the back wall.

 
 
__________________
Current status: Still alive! The school holidays combined with a kitchen renovation have kept me from my PC, but I'll get back to my games as soon as I can. Sorry for the absence!
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 10:07 AM
Rockerboy's Avatar
Rockerboy Rockerboy is offline
very preem, choom
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 1729
Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy
Posts: 741
__________________
GMing:
Star Wars | X-Men | Ronin
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 10:32 AM
Lazer's Avatar
Lazer Lazer is online now
He/Him
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 26297
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Posts: 4,822
Corr Shule
right-aligned image
He reached up and ran his hand down the wall, trying to feel for any regular ridges or seams, anything which might suggest it could be artificial, but instead what he found was…

"Uh, guys?" he called over his shoulder. "Am I going crazy? Look at this."

He pushed a little harder and drew his hand in a long line over the stone, and left a fast-fading trail where his hand had been. When he pressed down the stone seemed to lighten, almost as though it were glowing, but as soon as the pressure was removed it returned to its original state.

"I’ve read about some phosphorescent mosses which respond to pressure, but this is happening on the bare stone. It’s like…" He laughed, aware how outlandish what he was about to say would sound."It’s like an energy shield. But that’s not possible, is it? A shield which looks and feels like natural stone?"

 
 
__________________
Current status: Still alive! The school holidays combined with a kitchen renovation have kept me from my PC, but I'll get back to my games as soon as I can. Sorry for the absence!
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 11:56 AM
Mitsubachi's Avatar
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi is online now
Busy Bee
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 7338
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi
Posts: 3,429
Keia
right-aligned image

Keia flinches as the blaster bolts sizzle through the jungle. The first brintak is brought down, but shots miss the second. If it gets away it will bring the pack onto us!

Keia takes her time and makes her own aimed shot, and gets it right in the head. But it is not down! She bites her lip. Despite their combined ambush, they may still have a very dangerous battle to fight.

Then, of all people, Gage steps up. He does something techie with his wristpad and a lightning bolt arcs through the jungle just as the remaining brintak turns to howl at its fellow hunters.

The beast crumples, defeated.

Keia blinks at the blue-skinned Chiss. "Wow, way to go, Gage. Second time today!"

She pauses and listens. There would be a cacophony of howls and answers by now, if the ride ranging pack had picked up on them as a target. It seems like they just made it. They are safe, for now.

Or are they?

No sooner than the adrenalin-pumping threat of the brintaks is dealt with, then the bad feeling about the overhang returns. Keia is sure now; it is something different, not to do with the appearance of the hunting monsters.

And strangely enough, Corr feels it too. That sometimes happened with them. Some freaky twin thing, she guessed.

Corr is ahead of her. He has noticed something, perhaps an energy field embedded into the rock of the overhang. That would be more his thing to figure out. Him and the tech boys.

Keia shifts her weight from one foot to the other.

"Cory, I don't like it. Something is wrong here..."

But Keia just cannot overcome her natural curiosity. She squeezes in alongside the boys and peers at the rock as Corr touches it. What in the galaxy is that?


OOCI think Cory already got it but here is my
Dice Roll:
d20+5 (19)+5 Total = 24
perception test as requested. EDIT: got a 24!


Character Sheet / Hit Points: 10 / PP: 13 / AC: 13 / Conditions: None

Last edited by Mitsubachi; Feb 11th, 2024 at 11:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:39 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2024, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB