Game Thread Episode 0: Ties That Bind - Page 6 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Star Wars RPG > Star Wars: Echoes of Darkness
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #76  
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 10:15 AM
Touketsu's Avatar
Touketsu Touketsu is offline
Mysterious Ice Ninja
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 12909
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Posts: 5,904
Gage
right-aligned image


Far from his usually passive self, Gage walked quickly and confidently near the front of the group, eager to see what they would find. There was a small part of the chiss that knew he needed to be careful; as Trag had been kind enough to remind them, the earlier text had mentioned them not "warranting extermination." Between that and the new flood of text mentioning defense systems on standby, there were clearly potential dangers to look out for. All the same, he couldn't resist the pull of discovery.

"218,996.493 years..." Gage repeated the figure quietly out loud. "Can you even imagine? Entire civilizations have risen and fallen into obscurity in the time that this place has been lying dormant, waiting for visitors. This could change absolutely everything."

Finally, the group reached a literal crossroads moment as the path diverged into three. As communication continued to inform them of their options, Gage began thinking about which place might be the best to start. Eventually, the chiss cleared his throat and spoke up again.

"Probably best we stick together... for now at least. Maybe we all proceed to the observation sphere first? It'll probably contain a lot of answers to our questions about these people and their more precise purpose here." Gage was practically drooling at the notion of checking out the power station... he HAD to see what kind of equipment this ancient race was running this facility with. Possibly find a few droid relics in the process. But he had to keep priorities in mind.
Character Sheet
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath!
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 10:04 PM
Mitsubachi's Avatar
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi is online now
Busy Bee
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 7338
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi
Posts: 3,429
Keia
right-aligned image

Keia studies the strange pulses traveling along the walls, like little glow-worms following their progress and rippling beside them. Or is it the other way round? Are we being subtly led by these lights?

They go deeper and deeper into the widening corridor, and Keia beings to feel that - either way - they are being watched. She notices Tragobha is clutching his blade and scowling. She pats her own survival knife, still holstered at her hip. It is there, just in case. She is not sure the Dug's overt display of aggression like that will help, if they are about to meet someone.

Meet someone? That's ridiculous. Keia cannot really conceptualise the massive numbers being quoted as the amount of time passed, but her feeling is these Gree must be long gone.

They reach the intersection and ponder the options. Keia gazes longingly down each passage, eager to explore. But Gage makes the sensible suggestion to stay together. And Keia nods agreement that the "observation sphere" sounds like an interesting first choice.

And she is quite happy to stick with the group for now. Safety in numbers...


Character Sheet / Hit Points: 10 / PP: 13 / AC: 13 / Conditions: None
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old Feb 18th, 2024, 05:12 PM
Drachenspirit's Avatar
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 13th, 2024
RPXP: 34256
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Posts: 27,764
Tragobha
right-aligned image
Tragobha nods also as they walk along and pause to listen.

Observation sphere is just a good a place to go as any in his mind, but one of the locations bothers him.

"Observations sphere, huh? Wonder what we'll be observing.
Does the personnel area have an ominous feel to it? Or maybe that recorded voice just gives me a bad feeling by how it nonchalantly said 'Personnel Area.'"


 

__________________
Posting Status: Decent - If a reply is needed from me either in a game I am in as a player or as a DM/GM, please send me a PM.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 08:40 AM
EMIW's Avatar
EMIW EMIW is offline
Pygmy Griffin
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 13th, 2024
RPXP: 931
EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW
Posts: 471
Ches'anc Peklorr
right-aligned image
Perhaps the long corridor, the constant hum and the thrumming lights were getting to him. He rubs his eyes. "There are no people here, no Personnel," he emphasises the word, gesturing at the script still hanging in the air. "It's not ominous, Trag, you're just paranoid."

Chess's heart drops when even Gage suggests going to the Observation area first. "It does sound like Observation is closest..." he reluctantly agrees. "But...does it matter who they were? Shouldn't we be looking at what they could do? To power a place like this, to keep it active after so long, what kind of energy generation do they have here? It must be incredible, that's what could really change everything. Whatever the point of their map-making was, they're not doing it any more - this place is dead. As advanced as these Gree might have been with their self-adapting code, all I've seen so far is a basic auto-updating script, no more complex than the time and date function on a datapad. There's no-one here keeping track. You know I'm right, Gage." He looks at the Chiss emploringly, before shrugging dramatically. "I know I'll be outvoted though, and we need to stick together, so I guess we're going to Observation."

He knew Power would be a lower priority for the group - in many ways Corr was leading this expedition, and it was starting to feel like he and the Gree, whoever they were, had a lot in common. Knowledge for the sake of knowledge. Corr knew a lot, but how much of that information did he ever get to use practically? Chess didn't begrudge that of Corr, that was his friend's deal, what he enjoyed. This was important though. Surely our ability to make starmaps has improved over 200,000 years, Chess thought. What could we possibly learn in Observation?

ActionsIt must have been more than 10 minutes since last time, so Chess gives one 1d4. Once within the next 10 minutes, the creature can roll the die and add the number rolled to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw it makes. Once the Potent Aptitude die is rolled, it is lost. A creature can have only one Potent Aptitude die at a time.Potent Aptitude die to Gage this time.
__________________
DM: Heroes of Augera
World Anvil: Torosevia
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 05:04 AM
Lazer's Avatar
Lazer Lazer is online now
He/Him
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 26297
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Posts: 4,822
Corr Shule
right-aligned image
As they entered the observation post Chess had teased him about not showing any of the excitement that he was feeling, and Corr had just grinned at his friend.

"There's just so much to do," he had tried to explain, "I mean, there's still the overall site survey, followed by cataloguing and contextualising of any finds. We don't even know what we're celebrating yet!"

It was a lame excuse and he knew it. Even if they had found the place in ruins, just the outline of some walls in the dirt, he would have been happy. This, though? It was almost too much for him to process.

As they walked Corr continued to record, occasionally swinging the holorecorder around to focus on somebody as they were talking, but more often keeping it fixed on the walls as the writing emerged, and he was still doing that as the others discussed where they should go.

"Maybe," he said in reply to Chess nominating the 'Power' direction. "I mean maybe we could split up?"

He shrugged and waved his hands in a placating gesture.

"Okay, okay, I know. 'Unknown dangers', okay, we'll stick together. Let's look at the Observation Sphere array first then. I bet it has some cool tech, anyway, if it is monitoring a whole sector from here. Hopefully we can reassure ourselves that there's nothing dangerous here and then we will have all the time we need to study the power systems."

 
 
__________________
Current status: Still alive! The school holidays combined with a kitchen renovation have kept me from my PC, but I'll get back to my games as soon as I can. Sorry for the absence!
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old Feb 21st, 2024, 10:51 AM
DraconigenaArma's Avatar
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma is offline
The Original Dragon Man
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 12385
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
Posts: 21,468
DarroWalking along, what began as a marvel quickly grew into… not tedium, but at least complacency. He holsters the blasters as they walk, and now safe from the oppressive humidity, buttons his shirt back up. The only view are his companions, the architecture, and the small variances and patterns in the lights.
Peeking over their shoulders to read along with the readout on the wristpads, Darro cuts a grin when it says how many years it has been. “Hey, I was right.” It’s not a large brag, but considering the brain trust in his friend group, getting a math-related concept (even if largely inconsequential) is worth a minor self-congratulations.
As they stand around thinking about what path to go down, Darro doesn’t really regard the conversation as worth having. Who goes anywhere just to look at the generator, or the boiler room? And if there were Gree here, in some sort of suspended animation or living here for countless generations in silence and secret, there would be no need for the automated system to try to reach out to an envoy. The only spot of immediate interest is the observation area.
”Unless the personnel area has a kitchen, I think their old bunks and toilets can probably wait. The rumors have always been that it’s a surveillance station, but if it’s been inactive for a few centamillenium… where did the rumors come from? After so long? I’d like to see the bigger picture if we can.” Instead of waiting for more consensus, Darro begins walking down the central coordior, beckoning Chess with a question: “Is that communication one way, or can you query the system through your datapad?”

 
__________________
Current Games:
The Knick Knacks of Doom

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; Feb 21st, 2024 at 10:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 12:42 AM
Rockerboy's Avatar
Rockerboy Rockerboy is offline
very preem, choom
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 1729
Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy
Posts: 741
GM

Sticking together in a largely unknown alien facility seemed a decision shared by most, if not all, and despite the different areas tugging at curiosity, an agreement was met: onward to the observation sphere.

The hallway was much the same, with the pulsing lighting inlaid into the metallic structure around. Design angles were maintained throughout, evidently the Gree had had a particular appearance for the place. Every so often there were small panels on the walls, with text in the Gree language, though passing wristpad translations revealed these were aimed at reminders or guidance of a general nature - rather than anything groundbreaking or revealing.

After a time, the group reaches an opening, which expands into a large circular room. There is a platform that extends out toward some kind of console or holographic display, judging by the common factors shared between the object before you and present-day holo setups. They aren't too dissimilar, once again potentially hinting at Gree influence in the galaxy.

The system remains silent, until approached, before it all suddenly comes to life and lights up in sequence. Overhead, a small section of galactic map flickers into existence, followed by the text on the panel glowing and showing - what appears to be - a number of options available for use.

A scan with the wristpads reveals what the options are:

Observation Sphere // Loading.

// 1. Map Interface...

// 2. Console Logs... [Recent]

// 3. Maintenance Update...

// 4. Observation Reports ... // Restricted Access

// 5. System Logs ... // Restricted Access


All Crew Members:
The observation sphere awaits use.
You can attempt to gain access to restricted areas, if you choose (previous round uses for bonuses can apply).
__________________
GMing:
Star Wars | X-Men | Ronin

Last edited by Rockerboy; Feb 29th, 2024 at 12:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 03:59 AM
Mitsubachi's Avatar
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi is online now
Busy Bee
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 7338
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi
Posts: 3,429
Keia
right-aligned image

Keia's eyes widen in child-like fascination as she beholds the holo-projection.

Though she has not yet left Giaca, she loves the structure and beauty of star maps, they way they are always in motion.

Corr, Chess and Gage will surely know what to do about accessing the other bits of information shown on the Gree menu. For this moment, Keia's urge to go scampering around the location and studying its corners and crannies is paused while she stares at the starmap, trying to figure out where they are on it.


OOCPerception check rather low, so I must have my attention elsewhere this turn.


Character Sheet / Hit Points: 10 / PP: 13 / AC: 13 / Conditions: None
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 08:22 AM
Touketsu's Avatar
Touketsu Touketsu is offline
Mysterious Ice Ninja
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 12909
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Posts: 5,904
Gage
right-aligned image


"I know I keep saying it, but..." Gage's eyes slowly move from the eerily familiar setup of the holo configurations up to the functional section of map and the array of options that hinted at a treasure trove of information. "... huge. This is..."

Trailing off, Gage began looking over the options presented on the interface. Console logs perhaps... maintenance update? Not yet, no telling what that might actually do.

"Observation reports and... system logs." The potential insight they could gain from those felt incredibly promising. Unfortunately they didn't have access... yet anyway. "Hold on a minute." Adjusting a few parameters on his wrist pad, the Chiss began pouring over what bits of the code he could. This was one language he knew quite well... "... root... access... just need..." Gage was muttering to himself at this point, totally focused on the screen on his wrist as he tapped away.
Rolls & Actions
Gage will cast Temporary Boost on himself. Combined with the Potent Aptitude die from Chess, Gage gets 2 additional d4 added to this next check.

Gage will then attempt to access the restricted data. Both, if possible, but if I have to choose, I'll go with System Logs first.

Technology: 31
Character Sheet
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath!

Last edited by Touketsu; Feb 29th, 2024 at 08:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 10:03 AM
Drachenspirit's Avatar
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 13th, 2024
RPXP: 34256
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Posts: 27,764
Tragobha
right-aligned image
When he put his mind to something, Tragobha was a damned fine Investigator. But he tended to stay in his head with his own thoughts and just wPassive Perception = 10asn't as perceptive as his friends here were.

So, when they came into the room and the star maps came up, his mouth fell open slightly as he took in all in; clearly the Dug was in awe of what he saw.

He imagined for a moment his parents coming from their homeworld since he didn't have memories of this and thoughts of exploration and seeing new things inspired him a bit.

Then he snapped to reality, seeing as everyone else was in awe too, and knew someone had to keep watch.
Not seeing another way in or out other than the way they had come, he moved a few paces back to cover the entrance, his blaster at the ready
Dice Perception:
1d20 7
his head on a swivel keeping a look out for any threat.

 

__________________
Posting Status: Decent - If a reply is needed from me either in a game I am in as a player or as a DM/GM, please send me a PM.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 04:07 PM
DraconigenaArma's Avatar
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma is offline
The Original Dragon Man
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 12385
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
Posts: 21,468
DarroMarveling at the map, Darro whistles. "Well, would you look at that." And he does, tracing the star chart with his eyes, seeing if any of it looks familiar. While Gage is engrossed in his pad, Darro decides to pass the time with something requiring no access, and thus is easy to see, and presses the button to see the recent console logs - if just to see what recent means to a system which has been around for literal hundreds of thousands of years.

 
__________________
Current Games:
The Knick Knacks of Doom

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; Feb 29th, 2024 at 04:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 08:54 AM
Lazer's Avatar
Lazer Lazer is online now
He/Him
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 26297
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Posts: 4,822
Corr Shule
right-aligned image
Still recording as they entered the observation room, Corr stopped just inside the doorway and let the others move inside, both so that he could get a good shot of them exploring and so that he could record the full galaxy map as it rotated. He found himself peering at it, trying to compare it to what he could remember of the galaxy as it was now.

"Is it current? I mean, is this the galaxy now or two hundred thousand years ago?"

He moved further into the room, passing Tragobha on his way back towards the door, and focused the holorecorder first on Gage engrossed in slicing the system, and then on Darro as he starts poking at buttons.

"Uh, so what you found there?" he asked, hoping to prompt Darro to explain things for posterity.

 
 
__________________
Current status: Still alive! The school holidays combined with a kitchen renovation have kept me from my PC, but I'll get back to my games as soon as I can. Sorry for the absence!
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 09:55 AM
DraconigenaArma's Avatar
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma is offline
The Original Dragon Man
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 12385
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
Posts: 21,468
DarroGiving Corr a sideways look, Darro glances at the console and then back at Corr, and then down at the holo recorder. "Uh." He stammers, "There's a menu of options. And, err, this one has the word recent on it. So I want to see what recent means, since this place is so old." He isn't entirely certain why the fact that he's on camera suddenly makes talking so hard. All of a sudden he isn't entirely certain what to do with his arms, as if they were just attached and he's not used to them. Stiffly he points at the console he tapped. "See...?" he adds, lamely, even though the translation of the text came through Gage's data pad and it actually looks like foreign gibberish to him.
__________________
Current Games:
The Knick Knacks of Doom
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 06:31 AM
EMIW's Avatar
EMIW EMIW is offline
Pygmy Griffin
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 13th, 2024
RPXP: 931
EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW EMIW
Posts: 471
Ches'anc Peklorr
right-aligned image
So, this was the centre of the operation here... This was a surveillance outpost, and this is where the Gree surveilled from. Was that a word? Probably not. It was impressive, though perhaps he had expected more from the room which was the entire point of this outpost. A single console, what looked like quite a small segment of the galaxy surveyed... that was the word, surveyed. The way these Gree had talked themselves up he had been expecting... he wasn't sure, but something more. Maybe it was just that he was desperate to get to the Power Station.

Meanwhile, Gage seemed to have come alive in here, his fingers flying over his wristpad, code obeying his every command. Even Darro was getting involved while Corr documented the whole thing, his baby. Chess looks over at Keia as she admires the starmap, the flickering, orbiting lights glittering in her eyes. Come on, he thinks to himself. Do something useful. While Gage focuses on the System Logs, Chess tries to access the Observation Reports, but his heart isn't entirely in it. The code doesn't speak to him as it did out under the overhang, as it was doing for Gage now.

ActionsAttempt to access the Observation Reports.
Technology: 10
__________________
DM: Heroes of Augera
World Anvil: Torosevia
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 02:27 AM
Rockerboy's Avatar
Rockerboy Rockerboy is offline
very preem, choom
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 14th, 2024
RPXP: 1729
Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy
Posts: 741
GM

The Observation Sphere was met with varying levels of interest, though perhaps for Tragobha and Keia, this was the least interesting part. Neither of them saw much beyond the immediate area, as the corridors back the way the group came remained empty and movement being nothing save their immediate friends.

Meanwhile, Gage got to work on his wristpad, tapping away furiously as he felt the familiar sensation of coding and hacking. This was where his logical mind flourished. And even with the slight delay in translation, the young Chiss seemed to be making good headway through the process...


Observation Sphere // Loading.

>> System Logs ... // Access Granted


Corr remained close, recording, while providing support in the way of questions and morale. The actions of Darro drew attention, as the other human pressed a button on the panel - Console Logs - and both are met with a shift in the display, as the screen begins to fill with more Gree words and lines of information; and it would seem they needed translation, though both Gage and Chess' wristpads were busy at the present moment.

When Chess activated his own wristpad, to assist with the access, he began to type and try to push through the protections of the system... which, unfortunately, weren't as good as Gage's, as the system suddenly flashed red on the screen and a klaxon alarm sounded:


Observation Sphere // ALERT - ALERT - ALERT
// Unauthorized Access Attempt
// Activating Security Protocols...


From above, a pair of heavy turrets descended from the ceiling, before each swiveled toward the group of adventurers. The contraptions zeroed in on the console area, as red lights activated on each one, and the distinct hum of energy build-up began...




...however, just as the glow in the barrels began to show, the security system unexpectedly stopped. The turrets powered down, retracting back into the metallic ceiling overhead, and the console system resumed its usual light-blue interface.


Observation Sphere // Loading.

>> Observation Reports ... // Access Granted

Gage's wristpad flashed as he completed his attempt, allowing access to both restricted systems and deactivating the security alert in the process. While it had been a close call, those turrets looked particularly nasty and the sphere offered little cover, things seemed to have calmed before anything happened.

Across Gage's wristpad words began to display, as the active command took over that Darro had pressed:

Observation Sphere // Console Logs [Recent] ::

[ Reports for last 20 days ] ::


. . Console Panel Active // Console Logs Accessed...
. . Console Panel Active // Observation Logs Access Granted
. . Security Alert // Overridden
. . Security Alert // ALERT
. . Console Panel Active // Observation Logs Access Denied
. . Console Panel Active // System Logs Access Granted
. . Main Entry Opened // Systems Active
. . Main Entry Closed // Systems Stand-by
. . Security System Enabled // Facility-wide
. . Component removed // Observation Sphere
. . Component removed // Observation Sphere
. . Map Co-Ordinates Adjusted // Outer Rim < - > Unknown Regions
. . Console Panel Active // Map Interface Active
. . Maintenance Activated // Observation Sphere
. . Security System Disabled // Facility-wide
. . Main Entry Opened // Systems Active
. . Main Entry Closed // Systems Stand-by
. . Security System Enabled // Facility-wide
. . Map Co-Ordinates Adjusted // Core Worlds < - > Outer Rim
. . Console Panel Active // Map Interface Active
. . Security System Disabled // Facility-wide
. . Main Entry Opened // Systems Active



The console awaited further commands, as the screen remained on the displayed Gree information...


All Crew Members:
The console logs [recent] have been accessed.
What now? It seems you might not be as alone as you thought...
__________________
GMing:
Star Wars | X-Men | Ronin

Last edited by Rockerboy; Mar 6th, 2024 at 02:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:12 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2024, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB