twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Oct 25th, 2011, 09:06 PM
aka twenty-four 'ones'

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 369
FFFFFF FFFFFF FFFFFF FFFFFF
Here is a question about the encounter table from CE2JRH... thoughts?

Any ideas for more random events to happen to the city-state? Something akin to Chance cards in Monopoly I guess.

What do you think of Monstrous Cohorts? It seems to me that the Cohorts will probably be working independently of the Leaders quite a bit, so Monstrous Cohorts will handicap players in a way - if they send their Cohort to explore and they happen upon an alien caravan, many Monstrous Cohorts can't really communicate like blink dogs and giant eagles, and some wouldn't be inclined to, like ogres for instance.

Any thoughts on a 'special thing' I can give the players, like how in this game players got to choose between a random medium wondrous item, an ancestral estate and servants, or a ship with crew? I like to add in a little bonus like that for players as a reward for making it through the character application & creation process.

I am thinking about encouraging city-states to be ran by teams - what do you think is a reasonable incentive for players to share power with someone? +10 starting BP? +2 to either Economy, Stability, or Loyalty?

Last edited by FFFFFF; Oct 25th, 2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Oh not again

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1567
Frogman Frogman Frogman Frogman Frogman Frogman Frogman Frogman Frogman Frogman Frogman
What I want to know is how you expect players to control two characters (Leader and Cohort) and why you would limit the Leader to NPC classes. You'll have a situation in which the "leader" will be outstripped in game power by a cohort, consider an aristocrat or a warrior vs a wizard or really any spellcasting class.
Furthermore how do you expect people to keep track of all of extra stats for their city as well as two gameplay characters? That's an enormous amount of management to have on a PBP forum especially one with a relatively high attrition rate. Your random encounter tables are great but you're going to have a situation where level 7 npc class characters are going to end up facing things they were never designed to handle.

I'm all for sandbox stuff, for constructing large worlds that the players will never have time to explore all of but it looks like you're putting too much into this game. You're trying to do adventures and city building simultaneously and expecting players to manage 3 characters essentially, the leader, cohort and the city. It's a bit much.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 09:43 PM
aka twenty-four 'ones'

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
That's an enormous amount of management to have on a PBP forum especially one with a relatively high attrition rate. Your random encounter tables are great but you're going to have a situation where level 7 npc class characters are going to end up facing things they were never designed to handle.
You may be right! I may be setting things up for failure by expecting players to manage so much that they are inevitably overwhelmed and give up, causing the already high rate of attrition to be unmanageable. Maybe it would be better to strip out player characters altogether and just have players be sort of faceless administrators, just focusing on the Kingmaker mechanics? Hmmm...

In specific, the reason for making the Leader less powerful than the Cohort was to discourage people from adventuring with their main character. I wanted to make people feel fragile so they wouldn't go get their main character killed - they'd send out their Cohort to get killed instead if they felt like adventuring.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Oh not again

Tools
User Statistics
Frogman Frogman Frogman Frogman Frogman Frogman Frogman Frogman Frogman Frogman Frogman
You could try to just do "kingmaker" and have people play as nation-states or city-states which would simplify things but it sorta takes the "role" out of roleplaying since you're no longer playing a character (unless you construct it so each player is playing a national personification a la Scandinavia and the World).

You could run a sandbox on a player level too. It depends on what kind of game you want to build and what sort of player you want to attract.

Added LaterI understand why you would do that with leaders but what's to stop the player from RPing an assassination attempt from within because the cohort is sick of taking some lame aristocrat's orders r something similar?

Last edited by Frogman; Oct 25th, 2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Forgot Something
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 10:49 PM
aka twenty-four 'ones'

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
You could try to just do "kingmaker" and have people play as nation-states or city-states which would simplify things but it sorta takes the "role" out of roleplaying since you're no longer playing a character (unless you construct it so each player is playing a national personification a la Scandinavia and the World).
Yeah - I think I definitely want 'characters' to be in charge of the city-states so that there can be personal interaction and roleplaying... I just want a good reason why the characters need to depend on their city-guards and what not. They can't be particularly tough in and of themselves.
Quote:
You could run a sandbox on a player level too. It depends on what kind of game you want to build and what sort of player you want to attract.
Well, that's the problem - I kind of wanted to do both. I wanted to be able to run a normal Pathfinder game in this Michigan-sized alien desert, as well as a Kingmaker game.
Quote:
Added LaterI understand why you would do that with leaders but what's to stop the player from RPing an assassination attempt from within because the cohort is sick of taking some lame aristocrat's orders r something similar?
Nothing - but since the leader-character is in charge of the settlement by the orders of the huge nation on the other side of the portal that is sponsoring them, I don't think the cohort would be put in charge. Even if the assassination looks completely innocuous, they just wouldn't be the type to run a city.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Oh not again

Tools
User Statistics
Right unless the cohort was a wizard with access to a disguise spell.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 11:55 PM
aka twenty-four 'ones'

Tools
User Statistics
What do you think about a formal partnership - two players per city-state, one as the Mayor, one as the Right-Hand Man. The Mayor uses NPC classes and has formal status and connections, and ultimately makes decisions regarding the city-state... the RHM is an enforcer/explorer who does work out in the wide-world, and throws in their two centers about the Kingmaker decisions?

Last edited by FFFFFF; Oct 25th, 2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Oh not again

Tools
User Statistics
It could work but you've got to be careful about maintaining the player's "social agency". Players hate to feel like they can't make an impact on the world because there are tons of powerful forces messing with them or because the game is built so they cannot advance a certain way. You could do it. Just keep the cohort busy and in interesting situations to keep him/her from feeling unimportant to the "plot".