Information Competition rules and rules queries for Outplay 2021 - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2021
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jun 10th, 2021, 10:57 PM
Nargle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 45867
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Thanks! I have a follow-up question.

Under the stat block fieldset here it says
Quote:
Character generation is described in the system rules in 4 steps.
and in Step 1 of Character Creation it says
Quote:
Choose an appropriate Name for your adventurer, and give them a descriptive title. Describe what they look like, and give them some personality. A short background story may be appropriate as well.
(emphasis added)

For the stat block do we just include the name, or do you want us to include a brief description and possibly background as well? I'm guessing the former as such information will already be in the character write-up, but I wasn't sure if you wanted something like a one-sentence summary in the stat block too, akin to what is often provided in the bestiary. Just wanted to clarify.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 01:02 AM
Hi hungry, I'm dad

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19933
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
I may need someone to review the mechanics of my application. I feel like I'm pushing the boundaries a bit, and I don't want to overstep.

Also, is it acceptable to have two pieces of gear associated with spellcasting? Obviously not planning on stacking bonuses or anything, but it makes sense from a flavour perspective to use both.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 07:45 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35526
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekidnu View Post
For the stat block do we just include the name, or do you want us to include a brief description and possibly background as well? I'm guessing the former as such information will already be in the character write-up, but I wasn't sure if you wanted something like a one-sentence summary in the stat block too, akin to what is often provided in the bestiary. Just wanted to clarify.
If you take the Outplay 2021 The System rules by themselves to play a game, you would include this. For the actual Outplay Event, just the name/title goes here. The rest go into the Character Write-up section of your application.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 07:45 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAquilina View Post
I may need someone to review the mechanics of my application. I feel like I'm pushing the boundaries a bit, and I don't want to overstep.

Also, is it acceptable to have two pieces of gear associated with spellcasting? Obviously not planning on stacking bonuses or anything, but it makes sense from a flavour perspective to use both.
I'll have some time later today to look over your block (and the others who have requested it). If you want to potentially use two pieces of gear for casting, for flavor, that is OK.
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 05:17 PM
Literal Worm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13052
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Share your art!

Old Jun 14th, 2021, 09:09 PM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 71276
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
Oh no.. that was a mistake on my part. The 500 words DOES include Signature Moves and Known Spells. That line was added when we were going to limit the whole application to 1000 words and should have been removed when I made the change to have the stat block broken out with its own word count.
So there is no set word-limit on the application's background write-up?
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 09:15 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabadger View Post
So there is no set word-limit on the application's background write-up?
That section is 1000 words.
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 08:22 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2136
Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite
I know that applications are due on 6/25. When does play actually begin? What day will the first post be due for round 0?

Last edited by Stadiumite; Jun 15th, 2021 at 08:29 PM.
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 08:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2136
Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadiumite View Post
I know that applications are due on 6/25. When does play actually begin? What day will the first post be due for round 0?
To answer my own question, the schedule is posted here. First round is July 5-9.

Last edited by Stadiumite; Jun 15th, 2021 at 08:28 PM.
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 08:28 PM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16178
Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv

Last edited by Qiksilv; Jun 15th, 2021 at 08:29 PM.
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 08:38 PM
Sane in an insane world

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2235
SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC
So perhaps my queries are in the wrong thread .

To reitiderate:

Old Jun 20th, 2021, 11:52 AM
The Good Doktor
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30056
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadiumite View Post
Others have answered this but thought I'd lay it out a little differently.

Basically everyone who the judges declare has made a functional character by July 4th will pass Round 0. You need to at least have something down by 6/25 as that's when the judges will start taking their particularly hard looks.
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 09:58 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by GleefulNihilism View Post
Others have answered this but thought I'd lay it out a little differently.

Basically everyone who the judges declare has made a functional character by July 4th will pass Round 0. You need to at least have something down by 6/25 as that's when the judges will start taking their particularly hard looks.
This is mostly true. 'Basically', meaning groups of 8 (maybe 4) will be taken. So, there is a good chance we will have a few players with mechanically valid characters that will not make it into Round 1.
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 07:58 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post

Q: How do bonus points work?
A: Each round will list objectives that may be achieved, and bonus points given for them. In Round 0, this is 1 point for using a randomly rolled race, and 1 for using a randomly rolled CN. These points will be added to the judges scores. A judge has 40 points to assign, shown in the matrix in the Meet the Judges thread. Thus, 1 bonus point is roughly 2.5%. (As the GM, I will add the bonus points to the judges scores when they are being tallied)
Just a small correction to this. In the judging matrix, for Round 0, we are not using the last column (moved the plot forward, stayed true to character), so the total points is 30. That makes each bonus point worth about 3.33% of the max.
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 02:12 PM
Kinda Machiavellian

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5279
HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel HellsingsRaziel
Ugh...this is not a great start.

Messed up my race roll, posted too quickly cuz I'm leaving for work in a short bit.
I put in the reroll 1s and 6s and I shouldn't have.
Should I reroll that or keep it, I don't mind either way.