Traveller Dune: Adventures in the Imperium (Open Recruiting Game) - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Sep 4th, 2021, 05:09 PM
Adventure Architect

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34130
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Dune: Adventures in the Imperium (Open Recruiting Game)

Coming in October 18th of 2021!
Dune: House Ascending

"I have no fear, for fear is the little death that kills me over and over. Without fear, I die but once."

- Paul Muad'dib

Welcome to Dune, Adventures in the Imperium.

Game System: 2d6 Traveller and perhaps a bit of 2d20 (Modiphius)
Skill Level: Any - you can learn the system as you play.
Min. # Players to form a House: 3
Min. # Houses to Start the Game: 1
Post Frequency: Moderately Paced - 2/7+ About two posts a week basically I'll follow your pace if the House decides to pick up the paceor better.
Theme: Political and Military Intrigue, House vs. House Espionage & The War of AssassinsKanly, High Sci Fantasy Elements
Setting: House Atreides Rising (About the time of the first book "Dune")

The Imperium is a place of deadly duels, feudal politics and mysterious abilities in a universe where a blade can change the fortunes of millions. Build your House and carve your place in the universe or rebuild an ancient lineage and fight for the Imperial throne.

The spice must flow.

Game Concept: You and at least three others (PCs) will form a minor house that aligns with one of the Major Houses (thereby making yourself enemies of another). Your house becomes a major player in the future of the Golden Path.

We will run as many houses as wish to play. Recruitment will be on-going once play has started. I expect houses will ascend and houses will fall.

Let the battle for Dune begin.

I will draw primarily from Modiphius' Dune: Adventures in the Imperium and the books of course for content and inspiration.

Rules on the other hand will be greatly simplified. The 2d20 system is very cool over the table in RL but very hard to manage in PbP properly (at least for me). We'll primarily be using the classic sci-fi system (Traveller) as the basic system with enhancements that will give as all the cool bits from Dune. Other resources I'll be pulling from include MindJammer (Traveller Ed.), Mercenaries (MgT2) and Modiphius 2d20 Dune.

Players do not need any of these resources. I just want you to know what to expect. I'll provide everything you need to play mechanically through the game's forums.

He who can destroy a thing, controls a thing.

The Imperium is a place of deadly duels, feudal politics, and mysterious abilities. Noble houses constantly politic for power, influence, and vengeance in a universe where a blade can change the fortunes of millions. Build your house, carve your place in the universe, and fight for the Imperial throne.

What You Can Expect in the Game:

This is a PvE (Player versus the Environment) and PvP (Player vs. Player) game. Your house is will form alliances with other houses and battle against others (all run by other players). There will be blood (its going to be a blood bath) but the good news as you can come back as a Gholas thanks to the Tleilaxu axlotl tanks.

Of course as soon as you think you have defeated one rival house, another will jump right into its place.

How to Get Started

That's all there is to it!!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with and as always, if you have questions or would like more details, please post them below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atreides_Sigil.png
Views:	26
Size:	985.5 KB
ID:	92358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corrino_Sigil.png
Views:	22
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	92364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Harkonnen_sigil.png
Views:	17
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	92378  

Last edited by savoylen; Oct 2nd, 2021 at 12:54 PM.
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 05:10 PM
Adventure Architect

Tools
User Statistics
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Status Board

Everyone is IN GAME at this point - if you are interested... head over to our game thread now and jump in! All instructions are listed there now.

Last edited by savoylen; Oct 2nd, 2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 02:35 PM
Anarquista

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3371
CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles
This is daunting as hell lol, but I'll drop a note here that I'm interested and try to cook something up later this week as a jumping off point.

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 10:50 PM
Adventure Architect

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRawles View Post
This is daunting as hell lol, but I'll drop a note here that I'm interested and try to cook something up later this week as a jumping off point.
Thanks! Getting started won't be too bad. Now that our game forum is up, I'm starting to populate it with official "getting started" materials.

I should have it ready in a few days.

The basic process is... really just two steps,
1. Make or Join a House,
2. Create a character.

Making a character is fairly simple as well, you pick a name, roll up six stats and pick a role.

Everything else happens during game play.
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 02:38 PM
Anarquista

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3371
CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles CMRawles
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoylen View Post
Thanks! Getting started won't be too bad. Now that our game forum is up, I'm starting to populate it with official "getting started" materials.

I should have it ready in a few days.

The basic process is... really just two steps,
1. Make or Join a House,
2. Create a character.

Making a character is fairly simple as well, you pick a name, roll up six stats and pick a role.

Everything else happens during game play.
Alright, I'll get something up tomorrow or Wednesday perhaps. Unfortunately I'm not sure that this is going to get the sort of interest it deserves.

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 03:21 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3673
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
I know Dune thanks to the Lynch movie and can't wait for the new one coming out (I think I missed a miniseries). This is all very appealing but I'm afraid I'm a bit lost with the Houses, I only knew Atreides and Harkonnen..

Won't it get too messy if everyone's of a different house? read up better and figure it out

How many players are you envisioning?

Have half a mind to roll the stats old-dnd style and see what I can come up with with random stats..

What are the skills that govern the powers (weirding ways, mentats, doctors [I dunno, is 'mental conditioning' a power?])?

Found a Career Book1 'traveller compatible' pdf, would that be a good place to understand the archetypes you presented? I don't know any of the games you mentioned but I learn quickly, just want a frame of reference, could you maybe link to any free resource?

Last edited by Ursinorum; Sep 6th, 2021 at 04:42 PM.
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 05:41 PM
Adventure Architect

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursinorum View Post

How many players are you envisioning?

Have half a mind to roll the stats old-dnd style and see what I can come up with with random stats..

What are the skills that govern the powers (weirding ways, mentats, doctors [I dunno, is 'mental conditioning' a power?])?

Found a Career Book1 'traveller compatible' pdf, would that be a good place to understand the archetypes you presented? I don't know any of the games you mentioned but I learn quickly, just want a frame of reference, could you maybe link to any free resource?
Cool... nice to meet you!

1. I'm not sure really... it will be fun to have more than one house. Each house should have at least 3 members but no more than 6ish. We can have as many houses as we wish.

2. The six basic stats are roll 3d6, keep the best (highest 2). I'll do this after your house is set up and you decide on a archetype.

3. Those kinds of powers are keyed to specific skills... like mentat probably want INT to be their best stat. There is flex ability on what characteristic you use though... it depends on how you want to tell the story at any given moment in time. PSI drives most of the Weirding ways.

4. Rules are very easy... but if you want to get an idea of how the traveller side will work and you know how to play DnD 5e, watch this. I made this for folks just like that!

The easiest to understand 2d6 SRD is here.

Last edited by savoylen; Sep 6th, 2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 07:24 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
thanks, that helps a lot.

Are you looking for specific traits for a House?

Also, where is the adventure gonna take place (more or less)? Are we straight up on Arrakis or we're staring on a specific planet? Wouldn't want to be an Atreides on Giedi Prime..

If someone else is interested in something hardcore like the Harkonnen, I'm all up for it.. otherwise I'm ok with a medium/big house more on the 'goodie' side
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 09:37 PM
Adventure Architect

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
thanks, that helps a lot.

Are you looking for specific traits for a House?

Also, where is the adventure gonna take place (more or less)? Are we straight up on Arrakis or we're staring on a specific planet? Wouldn't want to be an Atreides on Giedi Prime..

If someone else is interested in something hardcore like the Harkonnen, I'm all up for it.. otherwise I'm ok with a medium/big house more on the 'goodie' side
The Adventure will likely start on your homeplanet. Where it goes from their depends on your group and the kind of campaign you are going for... I can see House focused on Diplomats headed for the Landstaad or Kaitain where a group focused on Kanly might head to Giedi Prime or Caladan.

Last edited by savoylen; Sep 6th, 2021 at 09:55 PM.
Old Sep 7th, 2021, 08:44 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I'm watching all the Dune lore videos that I can find, so I'll leave the specific planet choice to the other more experienced players.

As mentioned I'm flexible with the faction choice, I'm thinking that either a very small role in a big house or a relevant role in the tiniest would be both interesting.

While we wait for CMR input, I have to say that I also fear that this game won't be as popular as it deserves.. I think it's gonna be a miracle if we get to 2 Houses..
Old Sep 7th, 2021, 11:09 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1673
Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon
This looks very interesting, I’m a big fan of Dune (I lost count of how many times I read the book) and I have been thinking of DMing a Dune campaign for the longest time, but have never quite figured out how exactly I would go about it, so I verry curious to se how someone else is going to tackle this challenge.

Here is what I have so far as a concept for a House, but I’m open to suggestions and I would be willing to just serve in another House, if my concept isn’t popular enough to recruit two other players.

House Concept
right-aligned image
House Chol

House Type: House Minor

House Domains: Primary Political, Secondary Kanly

Homeworld: Leath is a small moon which orbits the planet of the House Major to which House Chol is a vasal. Leath has a generally temperate climate and a diverse flora and fauna. Most settlements are villages or small towns except for the large capital city of Eolas which is renowned for its academy of social sciences where many diplomats in the Imperium have received their formal education. What is unknown to most of the Imperium is that Leath has vast underground networks of natural caverns. One of these secret underground vaults is where House Chol has established its ruthless assassin school.

You got me once! But you won't get me twice, Finrod the sneaky!

Last edited by Finrod Ancalímon; Sep 7th, 2021 at 01:17 PM.
Old Sep 7th, 2021, 01:04 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
ok, ok, that's something..

Just checking, who does Chol have a Kanly with? Are the Leath assassin famous in the galaxy? Are they loyal to Chol or purely mercenary?

I watched a video on how to make a pc with Traveller and now that I discovered that it's a game where "You can die in character creation" I stopped wanting a Harkonnenesque/Fremanesque affiliation.. I'm very unlucky with the dice and don't want to see what happens under those factions if you're unlucky..
Old Sep 7th, 2021, 01:17 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1673
Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon Finrod Ancalímon
Quote:
ok, ok, that's something..

Just checking, who does Chol have a Kanly with? Are the Leath assassin famous in the galaxy? Are they loyal to Chol or purely mercenary?

I watched a video on how to make a pc with Traveller and now that I discovered that it's a game where "You can die in character creation" I stopped wanting a Harkonnenesque/Fremanesque affiliation.. I'm very unlucky with the dice and don't want to see what happens under those factions if you're unlucky..
Chol doesn’t necessarily have Kanly with someone, I suggested it as a Domain because I liked the concept of a House that specializes in diplomacy and assassination. I thought it had a kind of yin yang quality.

For the Assassins, I see them as secret and loyal to House Chol, but I’m open to suggestions, if other people want to suggest a more complex dynamic between House Chol and the assassin school.

You got me once! But you won't get me twice, Finrod the sneaky!
Old Sep 7th, 2021, 01:57 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 923
Lighting Lad Lighting Lad Lighting Lad Lighting Lad Lighting Lad Lighting Lad Lighting Lad Lighting Lad
I’m definitely interested. I’m on holiday family time right now but I’ll work something up and apply soon
Old Sep 7th, 2021, 06:52 PM
Adventure Architect

Tools
User Statistics
@Finrod Ancalímon:: Looking good - loving the sigil/banner.

That's as much as you need to get started other than some fellow house members. I'm sure there are some Assassins diplomates out there!