Information Competition rules and rules queries for Outplay 2021 - Page 6 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2021
twitter facebook
0 8 5 0
... raised for charity (includes promised matching)!
: +

Notices

Old Jul 6th, 2021, 12:52 PM
All men perish...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12961
Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv Qiksilv
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 02:37 PM
What canst thou say?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32855
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Bhelogan: I have a question on a mechanic in our game post.
My character made a buff on allies and after the roll indicated which allies should receive the buff.
In the game post today, you mentioned the buff applying to my character rather than the fourth designated ally.
If that particular ally cannot take the buff, then my character won't refuse it. But if that fourth ally can use the buff, then I'd like to request it remain with that ally since that is how it was designated immediately after the roll was made. It seems unfair or at least not sporting of me to take away an ally buff partly because I didn't realize an ally buff could also be self-applied

ETA: I realize I am being vague; trying to avoid spoilers and keep to a general question that might apply to others as well. Let me know, please, if I should PM or secret text you to be more specific with the question.

Last edited by bananabadger; Jul 6th, 2021 at 02:51 PM.
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 02:58 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29365
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
@bananabadger You had 4 successes, so everyone got a bonus. I think for RP flavor, one of them was applied to a piece of adventuring gear (I assume the 4th ally?), but that roll is still made and controlled by the PC. Were you wanting another player to get 2 buffs, and not have one yourself? If so, then they could use the buff this round, instead of your PC.

Last edited by Bhelogan; Jul 6th, 2021 at 02:59 PM.
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 03:03 PM
What canst thou say?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32855
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Thanks for answering.
Yes, I had indicated one player and their gear the 3rd and 4th buff. So if you are saying that is possible, I'd like to stick with original intent.
We could say it is because my character is magnanimous, or we could say it is because I am dense and didn't realize that self-buffing was allowed. I'm going to go with both being true.

Last edited by bananabadger; Jul 6th, 2021 at 03:04 PM.
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 03:05 PM
fundamentally useless

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10272
stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol
I'm the second character in question and I can say, I find him splendidly magnanimous and not at all dense.

Last edited by stepanxol; Jul 6th, 2021 at 03:06 PM.
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 03:25 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
I'm sure it had nothing to do at all with the GM missing the intent the first read through either... =p
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 09:27 PM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6416
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
@Bhelogan:
I rolled my CN in an Outplay Roll that had a bonus, which corrected it to not be my CN anymore. Do I count that as two successes or not?
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 09:44 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
No, if the bonus pushes it over your CN, then it is just 1 success. If the bonus pushed the result the your CN, then it goes from being a failure to two successes. So, it can go both ways.
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 09:46 PM
Besieged by deadlines

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6416
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Good to know.

Last edited by Mindsiege; Jul 6th, 2021 at 09:47 PM.
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 10:39 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3674
JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy
The wording of my buff, Boldness, be my Friend... - Buff - (Luck) Fortune favors the Bold, though sometimes it requires a little push. A single target will gain a bonus number of d6's on their next roll equal to the number of successes on this one.Boldness, be my Friend..., specified that the collective effect of the dice buff would go to one person only. That way, even if the person had no specific equipment or technique, the target could at least stand a chance of pulling off their next action. The intention was to give one person a sudden lucky break similar to 'Luck Heroes' like Marvel's Longshot or Domino. I wanted to confirm that it was still going to work that way before I got around to needing to use it during game-play.

Thanks!

Last edited by JustSomeGuy; Jul 6th, 2021 at 10:40 PM.
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 10:53 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
@JustSomeGuy - we didn't go over changing the mechanic from what you have written, so it will work as described in your post (all dice to one player, rather than 1 die per success to different people)
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 10:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy
Thanks for the prompt response!
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 11:18 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Soooo..... I just noticed something in the posts from both of the groups in my bracket. Each player's post has their full text in a fieldset with their character name on it. Those that arrange the sections of their posts in fieldset tags look like they are nesting them inside that greater 'character name' fieldset. Is that something I was supposed to do? I didn't see it written down anywhere as a formatting rule, but I might have overlooked it or it is just an understood way that things are done. I looked back and noticed that it was done that way in the example of play, as well.
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 11:20 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21788
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
I'm not a Judge or GM, but as I understand it that's not really required. But you do want to make it easy for the Judges to follow the flow of your post and that's one way to do it.
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 11:47 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
It's just a way some people prefer to lay out their posts. Do what looks good to you.