Notices

Old 09-16-2020, 06:24 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88
Belfar
Somewhat Experienced PbP GM Looking to Run Some AD&D 2e

Greetings! I've been playing/running play-by-posts games with various degrees of success since about 2005, and I'm hoping to start up an AD&D 2nd Edition game once I get through my probationary period. I started with 3.0 back in 2001, but somehow I've gone on an OSR journey during the last year or so. I GMed a fairly successful play-by-post B/X game before the pandemic, and now I'm hoping to get an AD&D 2e game started! If you're interested in 2e, then keep an eye out over the next couple of days...
Old 09-16-2020, 06:55 AM
Season starts THIS week

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 66504
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Welcome!

Hey, you are some good news to the 2e fans! We had about four join this summer, adding to the already on-line group that lives here, so when you offer your game, you should have some takers. Welcome to the boards, and happy gaming!
Old 09-16-2020, 07:42 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Belfar
Thanks! My box set of the original version of Dark Sun just arrived, so I might try running that. If not that, then probably something a little more generic fantasy like Forgotten Realms.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:00 AM
AKA HotSatsuma

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5352
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Welcome to the site! We do indeed have a few 2e fans crawling around, I think you'll be set.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:50 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32301
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Welcome to the club chummer!

You've come to the right place for some play by post action! You'll have no trouble finding some old school fan and darksun is always an attention getter!

We're a lot more than just play by post though. We have advice sections for both players and GMs, more forum games than you can shake a stick at, and even a dedicated creative writing wing called the library. If you're feeling especially bold, our annual game design competition is underway. Follow the link in my signature if you're curious.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!
Old 09-16-2020, 09:32 AM
Peek-a-boo

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7884
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
Welcome Belfar! I hope you find our little corner of the interweb a warm and welcoming place.

+
Old 09-16-2020, 09:59 AM
Fork 2020

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14897
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Hey, Belfar! Welcome to the site. I'm gonna guess that you're the wizardly cousin of the much more violent Belkar.

Nice that you've already got Play-by-post experience. I'm guessing that you're introduced to most of its charms ad foibles, then. Really glad to have you in the community! As others have said, there are some fans of the older editions on here-- it seems that we've had quite a few join since the pandemic cloistered everyone in their homes. I don't know that I've seen any ads go up, though. So they're likely itching for a chance to play.

If you've got any questions, let us know. We're happy to help.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:54 PM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23426
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Good evening Belfar,

Thank you for becoming a Community Supporter so soon after your arrival! Besides the support to the Crossing you will also be getting some cool perks like a cool huge mailbox (hehe, my favorite one ;-). And ofcourse: welcome.

Cool that you are going to DM us a game, haven't played 2nd edition I think (was that the one with the famous thaco?) and quickly moved on from a very short period of 3 towards 3.5. Played loaaaads of Pathfinder but when 5E came out it stole my heart. (missed 4e)(well, I actually didn't, hehe). Fun coincedence; also DM-ing ost Mine over here, love that AP (can't get enough of it)
Old 09-16-2020, 02:14 PM
Peek-a-boo

Tools
User Statistics
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
What were the original years for 2e? I can't seem to remember. I think I started out with some version of AD&D. In fact, I still have some AD&D books around here somewhere.

+
Old 09-16-2020, 03:43 PM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1169
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystrom View Post
What were the original years for 2e? I can't seem to remember. I think I started out with some version of AD&D. In fact, I still have some AD&D books around here somewhere.

+
Came out 1989 or 1990. Figure five or six years between editions. Because I remember other people being excited for it. I did not think there was much difference between it and 1st.

I could probably get by with a standard fighter.

Last edited by TADHG; 09-16-2020 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Please don't assume I'm into edition wars, I'm not.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:38 PM
Season starts THIS week

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 66504
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Tadgh is right on the money... AD&D 2e came out in 89. It lasted a decade or so, followed by 3rd edition in 2000.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:17 PM
Peek-a-boo

Tools
User Statistics
Well '89 is a bit late for when I started. Just did a bit of research and it turns out I first cut my D&D teeth on the 1983 Basic D&D box set. Even still have a few of those books tucked away in a box. Looks like I might have missed 2e as I did not play at all in college.

I saw you had your advert up Belfar. Best wishes with finding players and I hope you have a great game.

+
Old 09-18-2020, 03:47 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Belfar
Thanks for the warm introduction! I've already gotten my AD&D 2e game advertised, 4/5 player slots filled, and I just posted the introductory post for the campaign. Let's just hope it lasts.