RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Dec 30th, 2019, 08:47 PM
Timelost Gunslinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1727
DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard DeepFriedWyzard
"I'm just happy to be here, Tom."
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 09:19 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2741
Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon
Just wondering, since you're using a modified version of the feat tax fix and I'm going to be taking Lorman Born: Archer Heritage, will I still need to take point-blank shot to take feats that further modify and enhance my ranged capabilities? I think I know the Yes.answer but I'd like to make sure.
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 10:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8048
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
I adjusted the text for the Feat Tax Fix as follows. Also, note that I slightly nerfed the "Improved <Maneuver>" set of feats as "get two free" is what I had originally intended ... I just wrote it incorrectly. (Sorry, I can't always count.)

--

I am not fully using the Feat Tax Fix -- however, all feats that page identifies as problematical will be "buy one get one free"; except any of the intro Improved maneuvers which are "buy one get two free." All prerequisites must be met.

If any of the Regional feats give you a feat discounted by the Feat Tax, then you get associated Feat Tax benefit.

If you get any Feat via any means other than purchasing the feat permanently (e.g. a Brawler's martial flexibility, or an item that grants it while worn, etc.) then you do not get the Feat Tax advantage.
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 10:28 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Here is the game folder.

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18382

For the five I noted as "Accepted" -- can you repost your characters within the Active Characters folder -- one thread per character? We can adjust the settings so that only you and I can post to or edit the character sheet.

Feel free to use the OOC folder -- and start asking follow on questions there.

For the accepted characters, continue to fill in the gaps. They may be: missing stats, gear, spells, etc.
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 01:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Sirviantis, @Touketsu, @Sarsprilla -- You may still submit a character. The game is closed for now otherwise.

I am targeting 6 players and 1 have 5 accepted. The three players above have priority until they game starts.

Afterwards, If I don't have one of the 3 above submit an application -- or if I have attrition, I may reopen applications.

Last edited by CatCanCook; Dec 31st, 2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 08:03 PM
Ontologically Delicious

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3405
auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie
Tag for interest in case you reopen applications.
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 06:41 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I haven't heard from the 3 interested I checked in with by PM.

And autmousie has expressed repeated interest; so I will allow her in (pending a complete character build -- which seems underway.)

So, I've updated the game status to:

RUNNING; CLOSED FOR NEW APPLICANTS FOR NOW
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 07:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Reopening recruitment

Pathfinder 1e, 20 point buy, Core Paizo books + Pure Steam, lots of details on character construction in the original post in this thread.

The game is presently running, here: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18382

I am targeting a fairly brisk pace for this game, 3-6 posts per week from the players. One of our six players was looking for a weekly posting rate game and is withdrawing, so that leaves a slot open.

The open slot is to replace a Wizard (Sword Binder).

The active characters in the game are brawler, druid, ranger, summoner, alchemist.
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 04:43 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 680
AegorIV AegorIV AegorIV AegorIV AegorIV AegorIV
I am interested and will put together an arcane application shortly. Would you prefer a full caster?
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 10:23 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Hi AegorIV --

The party is moderately balanced right now. A wizard would be welcome, but also maybe a character who explores the steam-punk genre (a gearhead). Or, without duplicating an existing character, someone who fits the world's themes as expressed in the original post.
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 10:27 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16370
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
I'm in to give it a shot to, kind of a unique setting to experience which certainly make sit interesting, so am looking at a wizard (Clocksmith archetype) along the lines of magic engineer type build who is bridging the gap between magic and technology.

character app in progress
left-aligned image
Quincy "Q" Kettle
Human, Male, 22 years old
Wizard (Clocksmith)
Azerkan Born: MageCorp Semper Fi

Traits: Mechanical Expertise (Disable Device), Dangerously Curious, Artisan (Craft Clockwork)
Drawback: Family Ties

Appearance
Quincy is of average height with dark brown hair and brown eyes, his style is certainly more out than most but tends towards a blend of leathers and trappings of technology thrown in with some crazy hair styles and some interesting accessories like his copper goggles that he is almost never without. He typically has various tools of his trade tucked about him, and a staple is his well worn from use backpack that cares many of the items he just can't do without like his journals which he is always jotting down notes or sketching in.

Personality
Quincy or Q as most of his friends and colleagues have taken to calling him, is a laid back easy going young man who has an enthusiasm for technology and magic of an arcane nature. He laughs easily and frequently smiles for no reason at all, nothing is truly a set back for him just a learning experience and next time things will be better. He is quick to forgive and is often willing to give second chances, but even he after a while knows when he is being taken advantage of and then it is far tougher to change his mind about that person afterwards. As much as he can get lost in his own efforts, Quincy enjoys the company of others and would much rather be in a group than off by himself, and the end to a hard day for him is typically enjoying an ale at a busy tavern with some friends.

Background
"My dad was one of the better coppersmiths in the area, and while he branched out from time to time he focused largely on kitchen wares. His specialty though was kettles, truly he was a master at these, making them so perfect and they could even whistle a pretty song by the time he was done with them. If he had his way I would been in there working with him to carry on the family name, but luckily my younger brother Charlie was more than happy to take up that little endeavor freeing me up to dabble in what I find truly interesting." He left a bit of a pause to build up anticipation, even though his friends already knew what he was now. "Magic has always been fascinating, I mean who doesn't want to manipulate reality to cause a reaction that wouldn't not be possible otherwise, but what's more fascinating is combining that magic with technology to make both better than they could be apart. Steam engines with greater speed, Guns with added kick, or even common items like pots that could heat themselves without a source of fire. You get the idea I am sure, and the possibilities are truly endless when you start thinking about what could be done."

Q grew up in a fairly comfortable lifestyle, and lacked for nothing truthfully with his far being a respected worker of copper while his mother ran the house and helped his father with the books and sales in the shop. He has a younger brother, Charlie, who is four years younger and well on his way to becoming a coppersmith in his own right. Also a younger sister, Gwen, who just turned sixteen this year and is undecided about her own future. There are seemingly scores of cousins, uncles and aunts around as his mother's side of the family is quite extensive and colorful to say the least. It always seems like there is one of them dropping by the house looking for some favor or another, or help with some new venture they had thought up, and his father and mother always seem to be willing to help.

Both of Q's parents reasonably bright and put a strong emphasis on schooling and reading which Q was more than happy to oblige. Despite his father's efforts to make a coppersmith out of him, it just wasn't meant to be as he didn't have the passion for it that his father did. So when he was an appropriate age his parents indulged him in his interest in magic and apprenticed him under a local wizard they knew, who could prepare him for his goal of entering MageCorp. He learned how to craft constructs and the theories behind those clockworks so that he could extrapolate the techniques for future efforts, as well as broad understanding of magic and some basic level spells that he has practiced and honed to perfection. He was accepted into MageCorp where he completed his initial training and has been given the rank of Apprentice with all that it entails.

Last edited by OneDarkness; Jan 9th, 2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 11:40 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
If there are multiple people interested I'll decide by Sun Jan 12, based on an initial write up that communicates personality, background, traits/drawbacks. A full build out with stats, gear, spells is not needed for an application.
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 06:38 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
The Gearhead
right-aligned image
Name: Olmik Castiron
Race: Dwarf [Craftsman and Industrious Urbanite Racial Traits]
Class: Gearhead [Pneumatic Engineer]
Role: Craftsman, Some Ranged Support, Some 'Magical' Support
Alignment: Neutral Good
Traits: You gain a +1 trait bonus on Craft checks, and the cost of creating magic items is reduced by 5%.Spark of Creation, You gain a +1 trait bonus to Perception checks made to determine surprise, and Perception is always a class skill for you.Militant Merchant, +1 bonus on Knowledge (arcana) and Knowledge (engineering), and Knowledge (Arcana) becomes a class skill for you.Mathematical Prodigy, +1 bonus on Sense Motive, and Sense Motive becomes a class skill.Suspicious
Drawbacks: You take a –2 penalty on skill checks for skills with which you’re untrained.Meticulous
Flavor: A Scientist pushed to adventure by a need to prove himself.

"This here gadget? I call it the 'Triple Reduction Miniature Steam Ejection Wrist Mounted Self-Defence Device' and that? It is the 'Concave Eye-Mounted De-Obscurer'. What is that? The names do not sound marketable enough to you? Well wait until you see what the 'Triple Reduction Miniature Steam Ejection Wrist Mounted Self-Defence Device' can do to a would be attacker!"

Olmik in the eyes of most humans conforms to what they attribute to be the 'norms' of dwarven appearance. With most unable to easily tell the simple difference between dwarven men and women (it is clear in the fine and thick texture of their hair and longer more dextrous fingers) the difference from one dwarf to the other tends to boil down to most to the colour of each ones hair. Olmik is possessed of a light brown almost brown set of hair which surrounds his head in usually tangled mass. Peaking between pushed back fringe and mustachios are bright green eyes sparkling with intelligence and an innate suspicion of something he might not know. While his personal cleanliness might not be up to the standard of most humans the contraptions strapped to various parts of his body show his meticulous need for perfection with their parts being highly polished and well oiled.
PersonalityHaving made his home in the nation of Azerka for many years in many ways Olmik sees himself as being an Azerkan though he internally sets himself apart from the humans who make up the majority of the nation as he sees them as being sometimes too hasty and that often leading to mistakes and shoddy workmanship. In the larger cities of the nation his father and brothers lead the well known 'Castiron Technological Works' conglomerate and it would be their preference that he have joint them opening a new branch in an untapped Azerkan city. The curiosity of Olmik however is much greater than the average dwarf and his natural inclination is to rebel against a path chosen by others. As such his fierce need to explore and learn leads him to taking the airship to Sweetwater and looking to discover new and exciting things on the frontier.

The Making of a Mechanic - 10 Minute Background
5 Background and Concept Elements
  • Olmik's family is a widespread clan throughout Azerka who own various workshops and work together as a primitive conglomerate.
  • Due to his childhood Olmik is particularly careful with everything he does and dislikes risking anything at which he might fail.
  • Due to being brought up in the world of business, Olmik has a keen eye for a bargain and likes to ensure to haggle to get the best deal.
  • For much of his life, Olmik has been enamored of the beauty of the mathematical aptitude needed to create truly ingenious devices. This warm feeling towards Maths can seep into his interactions with others to the point where he sometimes is likely to bore people trying to explain fluid dynamics to somebody rather uninterested in it.
  • For as long as Olmik can remember the act of creating something new has been something that has brought a type of pure joy to him. This leads to him often disassembling and reassembling perfectly working devices every evening.

3 Goals for the Character.
  • Olmik would like to establish his own name separate from that of his fairly renowned family. It would be his preference that rather than the exclamation of familiarity he receives in many cities due to his family name that instead Olmik itself becomes a well known name.
  • Olmik would like to discover new materials and substances to use in his technological experiments, convinced that the remote frontier will have much in the way of untapped potential.
  • [Player] I would like Olmik to eventually come to the realisation that it is possible for him to both be his own person and accept the ties and strengths that come with good bonds to his family.

2 Secrets About Your Character.
  • [Known To Olmik] When first being allowed into the family workshops as a young dwarf, Olmik was responsible for the explosion of several steam boilers due to him pushing the pressure past the posted tolerance.
  • [Unknown To Olmik] His family is well aware of his responsibility for the explosion and while some of his siblings see him as someone to be ashamed of his parents have forgiven his error and are proud of his new devotion to being exact

3 People That Are Tied to the Character.
  • Henrik Castiron [Grandfather] - The patriarch of the Castiron clan in Azerka and a dwarf of prodigious age and skill at the forge. He sees Olmik as being too flighty and altogether too human in his curiousity and wish to make his 'Own' path.
  • Georgi Hanson [Son of dead worker] - When Olmik caused a large explosion at one of his families' workshop there were half a dozen workers hurt in the blast. In addition however one of these died some days after the accident and Georgi has managed to find out Olmik's involvement years after the fact. This has led to him despising Olmik and looking to avenge his father.
  • James McIntyre [Aeronaut] - 'Jimmy' as he prefers to be called by his friends is a pilot of one the the Castiron family airships which transports their goods around and outside of Azerka. It was talking with Jimmy and spending some time helping to ship finished goods between the workshops that his quite un-dwarvish wanderlust was sparked.

3 Memories, Mannerisms, or Quirks That Your Character Has.
  • [Memory] - The repeated pings as bolts were fired from the seem of the condenser boiler that he had pushed past its safety limits as just before it exploded.
  • [Mannerism] - Olmik likes to keep his hands constantly busy and can often be seen disassembling and reassembling ring puzzles he creates to amuse himself.
  • [Quirk] - Olmik is usually unwilling to attempt something he has never practised before and will prefer to take a different path then embark on something he isn't sure he can do successfully.

Background
TBC

Last edited by AegorIV; Jan 10th, 2020 at 12:52 PM.
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 07:05 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Would the 10 minute background be sufficient for the application or would a more formal prose be preferred?
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 12:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I will either take Quincy "Q" Kettle or Olmik Castiron -- and so this thread is now CLOSED for consideration of any other players.

I don't want any 3rd person to waste time at this moment.

@AegorIV -- It's odd that have two classes listed for Olmik Castiron. Decide on one, and if you want to multiclass (a dodgy proposition for those two particular classes) that would come later.

---

Both -- your applications are sufficient, though if you want to make minor improves to compete you can. I'll check with my players and we will render a verdict and issue and invitation soon.

Thanks so much for your interest!