Game Thread Over Hill Over Dale, Curse this Dusty Trail - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > One Man's Castle, Another's Home
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 02-01-2011, 02:52 AM
Humble Athena Humble Athena is offline
The Midnight Fairy
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-23-2020
RPXP: 32180
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
Posts: 13,657
Mercy smiles patiently at the questions, reaching down to scratch behind Symphony's ears as wolves are brought up. "It is possible that we may encounter wolves, although I have been led to believe they tend to avoid larger groups of people. If you do see one, be careful. They are magnificent, but not all as friendly as my dear one, here. As for a dragon, I haven't heard of one in the area, but dragons are clever beasts, so we'll just have to wait and see on that."

For the question on the dragonfly, she whispers "Magic!" and channels said force into a burst of miniature dragonflies to dance around the children. At the request to touch her dagger however, she looks up to gauge the parental reaction. She's not about to pass off her weapon, even such a tiny one, to children's hands, but a simple touch on the handle is fine with her if it is fine with the guardians. She smiles at the compliment and offers similar in exchange, and sings out "May the angels of night guard you until morning!"in elven as they are sent to bed.

At Abigail's apology, she shakes her head. "Goodwife Patterson, I do not mind; they are treasures in their innocence. But you are correct about the hour, and so I wish you and yours a restful sleep."

As she parts with Bani and continues through the people, she throws no glances over her shoulder, but knows she is well-watched and need not fear for her safety, even if there were any within the crowd who did not wish her well. At the good father's embrace, Mercy takes his arm and spins a dance step, before standing to face him with twinkling eyes. "We will 'pull it off', Father, have no doubt about it! This sanctuary of ours is long past due to come into the world, and I will see that is done."

Agreeing that it's time to urge the masses to rest, she begins singing an elven lullaby to put everyone in the mood for sleep. She moves up to Jarek's side after, grinning at his look. "A fair enough turn out for a beginning, I would say. Now grab a bite to eat, I know you forgot to earlier, and then let us retire 'til the morn and all its splendor greets us."
__________________
Still no phone, but power at home again.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-01-2011, 10:44 AM
MalchiorTheForgotten's Avatar
MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten is offline
Servant of the Tower
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-27-2019
RPXP: 1516
MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten
Posts: 3,975
Nyte continues his vigilance on the camp. He trusts Quinn to look over the wagons while he keeps an eye on Mercy. When all is calm and quieted, he moves closer to her. "It seems as though the Forces have smiled upon us. Soon we will have a settlement free of slavery and tyranny." He reaches out to pet Symphony, smiling. "If only I had a companion as this."
__________________
"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence."
-Vyvyan
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-03-2011, 10:06 AM
roaddog41's Avatar
roaddog41 roaddog41 is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-21-2018
RPXP: 7450
roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41
Posts: 6,169
Duke smiles brightly at Quinn's reaction, and he is quick to help put the barrel back into the wagon. The two then wander about the other wagons, finding quite a few personal items but nothing that Quinn wouldn't want in the little settlement. Lots of clothing, a few books, plenty of food, and a number of small personal mementos. Of more interest perhaps, Jonathan Raab has almost sixty pounds of mining equipment from pickaxes to hand powered water pumps. In his cart there is a large case of medicinal herbs and bandages, which Duke claims is the property of Mrs. Raab senior, Jonathan's mother. She is a midwife, and Duke intends to apprentice his eldest daughter to her at the first opportunity.

The Cobb family has a hand plow in their cart, as well as a number of barrels of seed. They also have a trio of cattle in the paddock with the mules. While they are finishing up, another of the settlers approaches the duo. Adelia L'Reli is an elven woman whose beauty approaches that of Mercy. She has been as hesitant about her background as one could expect, but she comes across as sincere and willing to work. "Master Quinn, Mister Patterson... I have a bit of a problem. I purchased some gear that is far to heavy for me to carry alone, but I cannot afford to purchase a cart, or the animals to draw it. I was hoping I could rent some space in one of the carts here." Her voice is soft and formal, matching her figure. It may be important to note that her eyes are slightly red, as though she was crying not so long ago.

Duke responds without hesitation, "Rent.. Pswaahh. I'm sure we can find you some room... axes and saws wasn't it? Heard you talking to Lyem bout starting up as lumbermen... er lumberfolk. Why I bet we can take a bunch of it in my wagon. Right sonny?" Adelia flinches when Duke refers to Quinn as Sonny.

Jacobs wishes Finn a goodnight, and then heads off to his own blankets. The priest will be up with the dawn to meet his god, so he understands the need for a good nights sleep. Meanwhile Mercy's magic brings about a large amount of giggling and awe from the children around her before they are shooed off to bed by Granny Patterson.

Soon enough it is just the founders left in the tent, the rest shooed off to bed by Grandma Patterson and Grandma Raab. No one is foolish enough to mess with the two matrons of the camp, and besides they make good sense. They two find their blankets, and before anyone knows it the sounds of bustle and the sensation of dawn has the entire party wide awake.

.................................................. .................................................. .............
The crude canvas tents are being folded down, and blankets are picked up off the ground and hung on the sides of the carts to dry after a rainy night. A filling breakfast of oatmeal mixed with dried fruit and fresh berries is simmering over the Patterson cookfire and anyone who wanders nearby is offered a bowl. Amelia and Holly Barents appear to be in charge of the food, and their cooking skill is already well renowned from last night.

The mules and the cattle have been fetched from the animal paddock outside the Fort, and a few guards are watching the precedings to ensure the animals are kept under control. It looks as though all will be ready by about an hour past the dawn.


 
__________________
Making a Comeback 2018
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Amos's Avatar
Amos Amos is offline
Imported From Detroit
Hall of Fame DM 2010
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-03-2013
RPXP: 6553
Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos
Posts: 6,765
Having roused to early after staying up to late, Quinn was a bit bleary eyed to start the day. But soon enough, the excitement of finally setting off and starting a new life with all of these wonderful people had put the spring back into his step.

Accepting a bowl of oatmeal from Amelia and Holly Barents, Quinn allows himself a moment to day dream about how things might be, but knowing he has work to do, he quickly finishes off his breakfast before heading out to find Mercy.

Approaching her, he calls out a good morning with a friendly wave. "I hope you slept well, I could barely find any myself, to much pent up excitement I guess ... anyway, as to what we talked about, I'll start out now and scout ahead, we don't need nor want any surprises on the road. I would've liked a little more head start, but, I guess its my own fault, not getting up earlier."
__________________
Seriously slammed at work, instead of getting better, things are getting more hectic. Please hang in there or NPC me as needed.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-03-2011, 12:17 PM
MalchiorTheForgotten's Avatar
MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten is offline
Servant of the Tower
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-27-2019
RPXP: 1516
MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten
Posts: 3,975
Nyte, needing only two hours of sleep, kept watch on the camp throughout the night. He kept up his rounds until people starting coming out to the fire. That's when he accepted a bowl of porridge, which he ate while finishing his rounds. Bringing the bowl back to the fire and pulling up his hood, so as to block out the light which was starting to hurt his eyes and to spare the children from the fright of his scarred face this early in the morning. Too ugly to be seen so early... He thought. We should leave before trouble starts...

Approaching Mercy and Quinn, he kept silent, yet nodded as Quinn discussed scouting on ahead. Nyte would've liked to go ahead with him, but he knew it was his job to protect Lady Mercy and the settlers. However, he did have a few words of advice to offer. "If something happens, send a signal. I trust you know what you're doing." He looks away for a moment. "Oh, and Quinn... tea leaves... they help you sleep." Feeling awkward, the Tribesman is quiet once more.
__________________
"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence."
-Vyvyan

Last edited by MalchiorTheForgotten; 02-03-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Humble Athena Humble Athena is offline
The Midnight Fairy
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-23-2020
RPXP: 32180
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
Posts: 13,657
"My rest was blissful." Mercy states, then touches Quin's shoulder. "Do not worry overmuch about the delay- I do not expect much trouble this close to the Fort." She smiles gently. "Just be sure to gain some distance when we start leaving the vicinity of the Fort."

As everyone began to stir and prepare for the journey out, the elf winks at those around her and raises the hem of her elaborate skirt just enough for Symphony to follow beside her heels. Once the dog is underneath, she lowers her skirt over him, to keep him hidden from the sight of those who might object. As the group move, she walks slowly, apparently carefree, strumming her fingers over a beautiful hand-held harp of silver, mithral, and sapphires. She sings softly in elven, smiling at anyone (especially guards) who might scrutinize her too closely.
__________________
Still no phone, but power at home again.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Amos's Avatar
Amos Amos is offline
Imported From Detroit
Hall of Fame DM 2010
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-03-2013
RPXP: 6553
Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos
Posts: 6,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Athena View Post
"My rest was blissful." Mercy states, then touches Quin's shoulder. "Do not worry overmuch about the delay- I do not expect much trouble this close to the Fort." She smiles gently. "Just be sure to gain some distance when we start leaving the vicinity of the Fort."
Comforted by her calmness, Quinn nods his assent at her common sense statement. "I don't expect much trouble just yet either, but trouble has a way of rearing it's ugly head when one least expects it. I'll be off shortly and I'll try to get back every two days or so to report, unless I run across anything, then I will return immediately."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalchiorTheForgotten View Post
"If something happens, send a signal. I trust you know what you're doing." He looks away for a moment. "Oh, and Quinn... tea leaves... they help you sleep." Feeling awkward, the Tribesman is quiet once more.
As he prepares to depart, Nyte speaks up with some last minute advice. "I will be sure to send a signal if I can, though hopefully all will be well on our journey!" Again, turning to leave, he stops short once more. "Tea leaves you say? I might have to give that a try some day, though I rarely have trouble finding sleep, I think it was just the excitement for the day to come." Bowing to each of his companions, Quinn grabs up his gear and heads off for the road ahead.
__________________
Seriously slammed at work, instead of getting better, things are getting more hectic. Please hang in there or NPC me as needed.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Chrystrom's Avatar
Chrystrom Chrystrom is online now
Peek-a-boo
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-23-2020
RPXP: 7683
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
Posts: 5,318
As the settlers gather near their various wagons to start their journey Father Finn steps up on the side of his own cart and waves for everyone’s attention. “My friends as we stand here in the glorious light of dawn and look forward to the road ahead of us I would like to say a blessing over all of us and our endeavor.” Raising his hands upwards and in a gesture as if gathering all those before him in one embrace the portly priest begins praying. “Our Lady of Joy may your delightful visage smile down on all of us as we set out on this journey. May the road before us be filled with the pleasures of travel and companionship. May we all find joy in whatever lies before us on this day and in the days to come. Even in the struggles that we may face grant us, our Lady, the blessing of a joy filled spirit. Bless all of these who take up this great journey to build a new home. In the joy of a new day, the joy of new adventures, and especially in the joy of life itself we ask these things, let them be granted.”

Father Finn then hops down and into the seat of his wagon with a large grin and calls out, “So what are we waiting for? Let’s get this thing rolling and discover the delights that are in store for us around the next bend.”

__________________
Status: After a loooong vacation - I'm back
The first Baccalaureate graduate of the School of Non Oratory Theater
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-09-2011, 01:20 AM
idilippy's Avatar
idilippy idilippy is offline
Visual, Fight's On!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-17-2020
RPXP: 15884
idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy
Posts: 9,571
At Mercy's words Jarek can only shrug and grin weakly, as he can't remember the last food he ate and his stomach gives a growl of assent when she mentions food. He takes the first bit of food he can find and absently eats whatever it is mechanically as the others mingle and chat with the settlers. Jarek, uninterested in most of the mundane supplies the settlers are concerned with, idly wonders whether anyone is bringing anything interesting or magical along. He concentrates for a few moments and looks over all the wagons, walking by and absentmindedly nodding at any who greet him, but not stopping to get bogged down in a conversation. A smile crosses his face when his sight lights up at Mercy's spell for the children, and soon after he closes his weary eyes and stops his scrutiny. After satisfying his curiosity, and checking on anything he worries might be dangerous, he heads back to his room to finish up his studies for the night, scratching out arcane formulas and working deep into the night before realizing how late it is and finally settling down for a rest.

The next morning comes all too soon to the wizard, who is woken too early from pleasant, indistinct dreams. He stumbles his way through breakfast, brewing himself a cup of the strongest coffee or tea he has at hand and gathers up his last belongings. As he heads outside he mentally calls out to Tyre, his familiar, a black and white Osprey that has been with the wizard for a couple of years. The bird shows up smelling of fish and looking pleased with itself, and chatters with Jarek as they make their way down to the others, seeming much more excited than his master about the trip. Jarek smiles and endures the chatter, idly stroking out the worst bits of leftover fish that had gotten stuck to the bird. He speaks to the bird only a little bit, which is likely a good thing as a man chattering with a bird in a language nobody else can understand would probably turn some heads. As it is, Jarek doesn't remember the restriction of no animal companions in the Fort, but with the bird perched on his forearm and his regular traveling clothes it is likely Jarek seems to be just an ordinary falconer at first glance, rather than a stereotypical wizard out with his familiar.

 
__________________
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain." It's time to toss the dice.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-09-2011, 10:47 AM
roaddog41's Avatar
roaddog41 roaddog41 is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-21-2018
RPXP: 7450
roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41 roaddog41
Posts: 6,169
The night before Jarek took some time to wander by the carts, using his magics to detect any magical gear the settlers might have. There is none, most of these settlers are quite poor and what spare money they do have would never be spent on magic. Most magic is hoarded by mercenaries or wizards, and what is left is often of little value to most commoners. A draught that heals small wounds is worth almost a year of labor, and can be duplicated by a hedgewitch who will work for food or favors. In fact the minor magics like Mercy used are considered a rare treat, the kind that will bring a crowd.

Mercy's ruse appears to have worked out, although she does get a strange look or two when Symphony begins whining about the close confines of the dress. The elf quiets her pet with a small scratch, looking for all the world like she is relieving an itch upon her ankle.

Meanwhile Quinn gets himself out onto the road, moving quickly and lightly over the rough road. He realizes very quickly that his traveling speed will be far in excess of the carts the group has obtained, and he will be able to cover at least three days of cart travel for every day he moves. The night's rain has moved on, and the roads are empty. It is an enjoyable time for the city man.

Once the settlers have finished their packing, food eaten, and animals hitched to their respective vehicles, it is time to begin. The sun is higher in the sky than anyone would want, but most know that no journey gets off wholly on time. Still, with the completion of Father Finn's blessing the group gets moving. The children run up and down beside the carts, playing in view of their parents. Most of the settlers walk, having little room in their carts for passengers. Only the youngest and the oldest ride, and while many of the spots will be rotated throughout the day the settlers try to place as little strain on their mules as possible. They have a long journey ahead...
 

.................................................. .................................................. ............................................
That first day was without a doubt the best day of the journey for all involved. The road was well kept up so close to the Fort, and the weather was fine. It seemed as though Lliira was smiling down upon the group. Alas this was not to be, for the next two weeks was a horrendous trial of rain, hail, cold bitter winds, fallen trees, overflowing creeks, and small rock slides. The only bright side of the trip was the surprisingly high quality of the settlers they had managed to put together, in particular the skill possessed by Jonathan and Maria Raab and the organizational ability of Duke Patterson the eldest. Every challenge was met with calm aplomb by Jonathan Raab, and his ability to engineer a "fix" for any physical problem was quite surprising. Makeshift pontoon bridges for swollen creeks, horizontal pulleys to deal with fallen trees, and makeshift levers to clear rockslides. It seemed like in every situation Jonathan was there fixing things up. His wife was a jewel as well, since it turned out she had been a successful herbalist and hedgewitch before she and her husband decided to leave town. She took care of many of the small injuries amongst the people, providing herbs that eliminated illness and performing first aid on all the little cuts and scratches typical in such a venture. The serious cases, like Lyem Walter's broken arm or the venomous spider bite received by Ira Thomas were sent on to Father Finn. But for the most part, Maria provided cures to all the little problems.

As for Duke Senior, well the man was quite frankly a walking elemental force. Ever polite to the leaders of the expedition, he was like the very greatest of military sergeants. Bringing problems to the attention of the group he could not deal with, and dealing with those he could. Even better he had a seemingly bottomless supply of traveling tales and marching songs, many of which Mercy found herself recording for future use. He indomitable spirit was often the floodgate holding back despair as hard rains turned roads to muck, or yet another downed tree was found.

Truly the travel was a trial, but there were two instances in particular that required the full efforts of the group.
 
 
__________________
Making a Comeback 2018
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Chrystrom's Avatar
Chrystrom Chrystrom is online now
Peek-a-boo
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-23-2020
RPXP: 7683
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
Posts: 5,318
Father Finn had worked hard to keep the spirits up of their little group throughout all the misery of the weather and other natural hazards. He’d never admit it to anyone else, but even he had found it hard at times to keep the smile on his face and the joy filling his voice. He truly believed that even in the worst there was joy to be found, but sometimes it was just very hard to discern it. Despite his personal and spiritual struggles, Father Finn moved along side his gentle and plodding mule Daisy and offered a smile, a warm handshake, and a few words of encouragement to all of the settlers as they suffered together through this journey.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 


__________________
Status: After a loooong vacation - I'm back
The first Baccalaureate graduate of the School of Non Oratory Theater

Last edited by Chrystrom; 02-11-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: added spoilerbuttons to decrease size
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Amos's Avatar
Amos Amos is offline
Imported From Detroit
Hall of Fame DM 2010
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-03-2013
RPXP: 6553
Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos
Posts: 6,765
 


 
__________________
Seriously slammed at work, instead of getting better, things are getting more hectic. Please hang in there or NPC me as needed.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-10-2011, 12:12 PM
MalchiorTheForgotten's Avatar
MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten is offline
Servant of the Tower
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-27-2019
RPXP: 1516
MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten MalchiorTheForgotten
Posts: 3,975
 


 
__________________
"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence."
-Vyvyan
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Humble Athena Humble Athena is offline
The Midnight Fairy
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-23-2020
RPXP: 32180
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
Posts: 13,657
Once out of sight of the fort's guards, Mercy gives a laugh and peels off the ridiculously large outer skirt, tossing it into the air where it rapidly dissolves into the magical essence from which it was formed. Shortly thereafter, she tucks away her harp to free her hands for any work that needs be done, or to defend the group if it becomes necessary. Even without it, she pours her voice into song whenever her people begin to look downtrodden.

 


 
__________________
Still no phone, but power at home again.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-11-2011, 02:07 PM
idilippy's Avatar
idilippy idilippy is offline
Visual, Fight's On!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-17-2020
RPXP: 15884
idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy
Posts: 9,571
 


 
__________________
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain." It's time to toss the dice.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:57 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB