Game Thread The Shackled City - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > The Shackled City
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-23-2013, 06:46 PM
Ulfskar's Avatar
Ulfskar Ulfskar is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-06-2017
RPXP: 2912
Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar
Posts: 7,043
The Shackled City


A wretched drizzel falls from the ash-grey sky. The crowded, rain-slicked buildings seem especially bleak and frightful this evening, hunched together beneath the gloomy skies. A few lights burn in their windows, but mostly their shutters have been closed for the night. The scent of chimney smoke fills the air, and the din of water trundles from the rooftops, splashing into dark alleys and turning street gutters into rivulets. A sudden, plaintive cry for help from a nearby alley splits the evening air.
__________________
Player: Volstrad
GM: Shackled City, Shackled City

Last edited by Ulfskar; 07-24-2013 at 11:46 PM.
  #2  
Old 07-25-2013, 01:42 AM
Quarterpound's Avatar
Quarterpound Quarterpound is offline
of flesh
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 03-06-2020
RPXP: 10344
Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound
Posts: 6,814
Skorn Dvorec
The pain of his puffy face and split lip barely hurt at all. The seven mugs of pilsner and four double shots of whiskey swam inside of him, causing him to stumble out of Geraldo's Whistlewetter, dulling the pain of the beating he had received a few hours earlier.

It was a good experience, overall. Jones was a top tier fighter and the chance to spar with him didn't come around everyday. Would Skorn have preferred not getting the crap kicked out of him? Sure! But that's the life he was a part of.

It was still raining outside when the amateur boxer stumbled into the alleyway and headed home. He wasn't going to stay out late like the night before. He and Rikk really needed to get an early start on the day tomorrow to find a job. His coin purse was not as hefty as he would've liked it to be and it was only going to get worse. Rent was due in a couple days as well.

Then he heard the scream. It took a couple of seconds for it to really register, but just like that Skorn sobered up just long enough to try and
Dice Perception:
1d20+6 (18)+6 Total = 24
ascertain where the scream was coming from.
__________________
  #3  
Old 07-25-2013, 03:18 AM
Battlechaser's Avatar
Battlechaser Battlechaser is offline
Great Wyrm
Good People
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-30-2020
RPXP: 11751
Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser
Posts: 11,440
Claudius Galenus

Dressed in a simple once-white robe the healer walks through the crowds, his many-pocketed brown cloak fluttering in the wind, its pouches bulging with bandaids, tinctures and potion bottles. When visiting patients, Claudius strides confidently and carries a big, black leather bag containing additional instruments. Despite his frequent visits to the sick and the infirm he still exudes a crisp and clean odour, intermingled with the aroma of the herbs he uses. Normally soft-spoken, his experiences as a medic made Claudius gruff and uncaut - he has no patience with stupid questions.
His unruly black hair refuses to be combed properly, so Claudius prefers to crop both his hair and beard short. Sharp blue eyes observe you from above darkened pouches. Under his right eye a thin white scar contrast sharply with his tanned skin. Similar scars crisscross his lower arms and back. When Claudius is on his own and ponders about his past, he absentmindedly bites his nails - his confident air gone.


Claudius had barely taken a few steps down the street at Bertha's shop when rain started to pelt down. "Aw! Come on!" Pulling up his hood he continued - wet and bone-tired. Then...

What was that? Another mugging? Claudius looked around. "This won't work" With sigh he let the hood down so he could
Dice Perception:
1d20+8 (14)+8 Total = 22
pinpoint the location of the victim more easily. Pushing himself to run in the general direction of the anguished cry, the healer thought Great, another all-nighter. Those bloody thugs are getting more violent as of late.

Last edited by Battlechaser; 07-25-2013 at 03:18 AM.
  #4  
Old 07-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Insacrum's Avatar
Insacrum Insacrum is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-23-2020
RPXP: 9916
Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum
Posts: 12,277

Hatchet, the Dwarf

Hatchet knew that nights were a bad time to be out in the streets of Cauldron. Not only from his personal experiances, but from the rumors he had been hearing lately. Not wanting to spend any more time than necessary out here, he was trying to find a decent room, for a decent price within the city, needing a place to stay within his budget.

The first place he stopped looked nice, but the price was too high for his remaining funds. The proprietor was slowly pushing him into trying to stay. Something about the man's air didn't quite sit well with Hatchet, but beyond that, the money wasn't available, so he left.

He found himself in the beginnings of the rain as soon as he stepped out, and even more so by the time he found another place to look at for the night. This time the price was right, but the room wasn't. He could see blood stains on the floor, 'from a troubled man'. Whoever had made the stains, the owner hadn't taken great cares in cleaning them up, and even less care in covering them. The rat droppings in the corner didn't bode much better, and offered insight into the rooms other possible occupants.

Not wanting to find himself on the wrong side of disease, Hatchet declined, and continued his search. It was in this search that he heard the cry in the alleyway as he was crossing it. Not sure of the source, but knowing that there could be plenty of reasons for them, he turned towards the sound. 'Perhaps this is it?' he reasoned to himself.

  #5  
Old 07-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Lacoran's Avatar
Lacoran Lacoran is offline
Cartoon Wizard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-06-2020
RPXP: 1207
Lacoran Lacoran Lacoran Lacoran Lacoran Lacoran Lacoran Lacoran Lacoran
Posts: 2,535
Zanaver Darkeyes

He hurriedly walks through the rainy streets, his cloak blows in the air from his speed and the night breeze. His hood covers his head to protect his head from the rain and any distractions. Lost in his own thoughts, the rhythmic sounds of his boots, staff, and the rain hitting the cobbles are just white noise to him. As he moves through the street, he walks with easy of man who lived in this city all his life. He steps around big puddles and over missing cobble stones without looking. It apears as if he could walk these street blindfolded and good thing too as his black eyes are glazed over with thought. He was in deep contemplating over something that must be very important to him.
This could be the solution to my problem, if I could only find a way to truly test it..

Being deep in his own thought, he hears but does not full process the cry for help until several moments after it reaches his ears. However once the information reaches the front of his mind, it snaps him into the present.
A cry for help?

All of his previous contemplations and thoughts vanish as his instincts take over. iWith out a second thought, He turns and runs in the direct of the noise.
  #6  
Old 07-25-2013, 11:46 PM
Xian's Avatar
Xian Xian is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-06-2020
RPXP: 29474
Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian
Posts: 10,903


Ayden Van Richten

Ayden walked the streets of Cauldron, the so called Shackled City. He had just arrived there four days hence and already he found himself no closer to finding his family or piecing together any of the mystery of his past. Thanks to the shattered memories left by the Vastis Clan, he knew only one thing for certain. He should try and stay hidden so that the wouldn't find him and take him back.

Yeah.

A seven foot, half giant with reddish tan skin... shouldn't be difficult to hide. Yet Ayden did not let himself despair and resolved to make good on his quest. The answers were in his head and hopefully the key to unlocking that knowledge laid in this city. Ayden decide that he was going to enjoy his time here in "civilization" as best he could before returning to The Wild outside the gates of this city... then he heard the plaintive cry for help.

"It is not your business, don't make waves... the last thing you need is to get involved and then get tangled up with the local law enforcement..." Ayden said to himself, wholly unsuccessful in convincing himself that he did not care. Then he saw the group of people converging on the same spot. One, was almost as big as he was. Almost. A sour looking man in a cloak, an armored dwarf, and some guy that seemed to be sprinting... gliding on the street to the source of the sound. "See, someone else is taking care of it..."

"...but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to see what all of the fuss is about while these fine citizen do the actual work." Ayden said to himself simply as he strode over to the motley group of would-be saviors.

  #7  
Old 07-26-2013, 12:49 AM
Ulfskar's Avatar
Ulfskar Ulfskar is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-06-2017
RPXP: 2912
Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar
Posts: 7,043
It didn't take much to find the source of the scuffle and cursing. Moving to the entrance of the alley way you look around to see you're not the only one pursuing the source of the cry, though a disappointingly large number of citizens paid no attention to the noise and continued to move away.

Turning the corner you can see a clear view down the alley way. It is roughly 10 feet wide and 60 feet long, opening into a street at either end. Like many alleys in Cauldron, it slopes toward the center of town at a fairly steep 15 degree angle; steps have been carved into the alleyway in many places to ease progress along its length. Two-story buildings loom on both sides.

within, three figures assault a fourth, who lies face down on the wet cobblestones. One of the attacks lifts the victim by the hood of his cloak and thrusts him against a wall as another growls "Stay away from the orphanage, you got that?" The three attackers have painted their faces half white and half black with makeup.

As your misfit group of strangers rounds the corner and begins gawking down the alleyway, one of the thugs draws his short sword and yells "Bugger off!"


OOC
The perception check was so low that even Hatch could make it...

Might as well roll initiative and act in turn. We will be using party average for Initiative.

Also, feel free to make a knowledge local check.
__________________
Player: Volstrad
GM: Shackled City, Shackled City

Last edited by Ulfskar; 07-26-2013 at 12:49 AM.
  #8  
Old 07-26-2013, 12:59 AM
Xian's Avatar
Xian Xian is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-06-2020
RPXP: 29474
Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian
Posts: 10,903


Ayden Van Richten

"Seriously...? I mean I get it with the spooky paint job on the face and all..." Ayden says in response to bugger off by one of the three men. He wondered if they mistook the 7 foot half-giant with an nearly equally large human next to him and both them looking like they could... can crush their heads like a grape. "But I might reconsider your threat... I mean honestly, don't you see us? Even if the two of us were not so huge, we got you outnumbered and outgunned."

With that Ayden manifests both his mind armor and an equally impressive two handed mind blade that hummed with the power of his mind.

 


Last edited by Xian; 07-26-2013 at 01:02 AM.
  #9  
Old 07-26-2013, 01:07 AM
Sassafrass's Avatar
Sassafrass Sassafrass is offline
Man・Earth・Sky
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-22-2020
RPXP: 58423
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Posts: 17,603
Rikkard Silverhand

Gods below, why did he drink at all?

Skorn and Rikkard have a good thing going, most nights. Skorn can take a few punches and a few drinks. When Rikk oversteps his boundaries, Skorn is there to take the punches, and Rikk is there to make sure no one insults Skorn too greatly, without going over his head. Sometimes, the formula gets confused. Sometimes, Rikkard thinks he can drink as much as the mass of muscle known as Skorn. Sometimes he can.

Every time he pays for it.

When he awoke, Skorn was gone. Good. Rikkard Silverhand doesn't like it when his friend sees him. He can be protective, sometimes kind, sometimes a joker. It matters little; he has his own way of walking it off. Drinking a bit of water, checking his purse to make sure he has enough to make it through the month (and maybe the next one), Rikk sets out into the city. A short stroll, and he eats, gladly, a small meal of eggs, primarily, with a side of eggs and eggs only. He needs his protein. Carrying only a safety blade and his sling string that he uses when he's bored, not unlike a cat, he is ill-prepared for what the day's contents will throw violently at him.

His brain working, Rikk finds himself an apple and wanders the town, watching the quiet parts.

That was his mistake.

The scream almost startles him: it gives his headache a new lease on life. Looking about, he tries to determine the origin of
Dice Perception Check:
1d20+7 (8)+7 Total = 15
the pitch, before putting a hand to his blade; he does not draw, but instead runs. "It's as if I ask for these things to happen."

Leave no stone unturned. Skorn would never let him live it down.
  #10  
Old 07-26-2013, 02:47 AM
Battlechaser's Avatar
Battlechaser Battlechaser is offline
Great Wyrm
Good People
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-30-2020
RPXP: 11751
Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser
Posts: 11,440
Claudius Galenus

Dressed in a simple once-white robe the healer walks through the crowds, his many-pocketed brown cloak fluttering in the wind, its pouches bulging with bandaids, tinctures and potion bottles. When visiting patients, Claudius strides confidently and carries a big, black leather bag containing additional instruments. Despite his frequent visits to the sick and the infirm he still exudes a crisp and clean odour, intermingled with the aroma of the herbs he uses. Normally soft-spoken, his experiences as a medic made Claudius gruff and uncaut - he has no patience with stupid questions.
His unruly black hair refuses to be combed properly, so Claudius prefers to crop both his hair and beard short. Sharp blue eyes observe you from above darkened pouches. Under his right eye a thin white scar contrast sharply with his tanned skin. Similar scars crisscross his lower arms and back. When Claudius is on his own and ponders about his past, he absentmindedly bites his nails - his confident air gone.

Seeing three facepainted idiots trying to squash a fourth into mush, Claudius couldn't help but yell. "Stop that, you cretins!" Cretins? Is that all you can come up with? He studied the attackers and tried to catch a glimpse of the victim - partly to have an idea how much work he would have afterwards.

Then he noticed the two gigantic men in front of him Right, that one's face looks like it has been used as a punching bag. And a red-headed half giant? It would make more sense if they did the punching. Claudius thought as he drew his scalpel and looked at the tiny blade. "You look like you could use a healer." he adressed the bald sparring dummy, "When this is over I'll have a look."

Last edited by Battlechaser; 07-26-2013 at 03:04 AM.
  #11  
Old 07-26-2013, 02:55 AM
Quarterpound's Avatar
Quarterpound Quarterpound is offline
of flesh
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 03-06-2020
RPXP: 10344
Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound
Posts: 6,814
Skorn Dvorec
Skorn smiled and shrugged at the robed man who offered to give him a once over. He was too far into his drinks to really have any kind of coherent response.

Then suddenly, there was Rikk!

"You layabout! Fancy meeting you here! What do you think of these three? I kinda like their shtyle, though beating up someone unarmed isn't so great..."

The man still had the boxing tape on his hands and he made a show of punching the air, mimicking the face-painted attackers in the alley.

"Then again... they're telling him to stay away from the orphanage? Mayhaps he's one of them perverse types... likes to tickle the young boys? What'dya say Rikk?"
__________________
  #12  
Old 07-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Lacoran's Avatar
Lacoran Lacoran is offline
Cartoon Wizard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-06-2020
RPXP: 1207
Lacoran Lacoran Lacoran Lacoran Lacoran Lacoran Lacoran Lacoran Lacoran
Posts: 2,535
Zanaver Darkeyes
When he comes close the group, anyone that looks at Zanaver instantly knows that he is not normal. At first glance, his skin color could be mistaken for a burn, but under anything more than a cursory glance it becomes clear that it is not a burn, and that his skin is the color of the glowing/smoldering embers. Even the skin under finger nails and beneath his hair still has the same red color. The noraml white of his eyes is instead a deep midnight black. This makes the light blue of his iris striking against their black backround.

He wears a cloak of black and red which matches the volcanic terrain of the city. The inside of the cloak is lined with a thick, rough fur and has been obviously made from at least 2 dire rats' skins. All of his clothing has been made to be durable and long lasting while looks and conform where mear after thoughts. The only item that appears proffeshionally make are his leather boots, which are high quality, fine leather. While nothing but the boots are of fine quality, everything shows the signs that it is well care for and maintained. The quarterstaff he carries has hand grip made of silk ropes that have no loss threads or fraying. The wood has a few nicks and dents from daily use but it shines from a recent oiling which keeps the smooth to the touch. His shirt has had a few tears in the past but they were well stitched together to prevent fraying or more tearing.

When he gets close to the group of saviors and sees on the large red skinned stranger, a look of fear crosses his face and it stops him a few feet from the group. At first, it is as if he believes this “man” is the danger but as he starts to size him up he looks at his face. While looking, he focuses almost completely on this man’s eyes, what he sees there takes the fear off his face and brings him back to real problem in the ally. He continues to stays a few feet away from the Red skinned one but moves where he can see the scuffle better. He looks at the painted men and shouts ”What is going on, and what does this have to with the orphanage?

 

Last edited by Lacoran; 07-26-2013 at 10:19 AM.
  #13  
Old 07-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Insacrum's Avatar
Insacrum Insacrum is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-23-2020
RPXP: 9916
Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum
Posts: 12,277

Hatchet, the Dwarf

Finding the scuffle was nothing new to Hatchet, but the people in the alley where not what he was hoping to see. Never-the-less, once he heard the gathered men talk about an orphanage, he knew he was going to stay and see things through. At first he wasn't sure which side to take. Obviously, all four of the men knew about an orphanage, so he didn't care who won. But, it seemed that other passersby where going to make the decision for him.

Already, five men had appeared and seemed to be taking the side of the man who was being harrassed, right now the odds proved in favor of the gathered group, so aligning himself with them would prove the most prudent response. Taking a closer look at the three, the face paint could prove a likely clue to who they where associated with. Perhaps the cult he had heard about earlier.

Seeing that one of the three had a sword drawn. Hatchet had no problem with drawing his war ax, and preparing for any type of ensuing scuffle. He just had to make sure that one of the four survived the fight, and hopefully it would be the robed man. "I don't think I'm in the mood for anal intercourse at this moment."
OOC
 


BTW, your map and your text has 3 mobs, and 1 attackee, but your Fog Of War table only shows 2 mobs, and no attackee.

Last edited by Insacrum; 07-26-2013 at 11:52 AM.
  #14  
Old 07-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Lacoran's Avatar
Lacoran Lacoran is offline
Cartoon Wizard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-06-2020
RPXP: 1207
Lacoran Lacoran Lacoran Lacoran Lacoran Lacoran Lacoran Lacoran Lacoran
Posts: 2,535
Zanaver Darkeyes

As he turns his attention away from the red skinned man and to the thugs, thier face paint tells him who they are.
Why would the Last Laugh thieves’ guild care about the orphanage? His voice cracked a little with concern as he spoke the word “orphanage”.

Zanaver impatiently waits for the thugs to answer. It was obvious that he was not sure what to do or whose side to take in this conflict as his hands are shaking and he keeps shifting his focus between the thieves and their victim, ready to attack either group.
  #15  
Old 07-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Ulfskar's Avatar
Ulfskar Ulfskar is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-06-2017
RPXP: 2912
Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar Ulfskar
Posts: 7,043


Hearing the threats and the questions coming from both ends of the Alley, the thugs were left with little recourse. Throwing their victim to the ground, they each in turn drew a short sword and began backing away from the large humanoids at the top of the alleyway. They knew there were others at the bottom, but they looked far less fierce.

OOC
PCs won initiative (with only 3 PCs rolling...). No aggressive actions towards the NPCs from you, or you towards them have been made thus far. They are simply drawing and backing away from the two massive men. Though they did beat a man to the ground...
__________________
Player: Volstrad
GM: Shackled City, Shackled City
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:25 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB