RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 11-29-2013, 01:50 AM
Dreaded blue eye-square!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5795
Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios
Cien bristled for a moment at the implied slight in Charles’s words but then checked himself. Quarreling with the elder house would be foolish, even if it was impertinent for him to speak so to a member of a noble house. Besides, the other man was correct, Cien did not know anybody in these halls, having only just arrived himself. So instead of bursting out, he focused his anger inwards into a brief meditation, like his father encouraged. It was a practiced step for the young man and after a few seconds he smiled and nodded politely to Charles. ”I am Cien Scaloach. As with Michael, I am currently representing my family here in the Capital. I have some hope that our conversations will be fruitful enough to allow me to remain for some time.” He smiled slightly. ”It is much warmer here than in Rockcrest, much less than in Casian-Kalak.” He gave a slight, and slightly theatrical, shiver. ”The mountains may have many mines, but they don’t have much warmth.”
Old 12-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Lord of the Dork Side

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6049
darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon
As you begin your discussions, a heavily armored man bursts into the room, the colors of Groff clearly etched into his armor. As he approaches his seat, he glares at the other house members, as if daring them to challenge his tardiness, but when none do, he glances at the chair with his house upon it, pushes it aside, and stands in it's place.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1458
Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos
The cloaked man from Vangar looks at the man who is addressing the room and with contempt spits out,""Why don't we drop the niceties and small talk. We all know what is going on. Instead of coming here to pretend we like each other why don't we speak our minds. You can say what you will but for my House we will not bow the knee to the oldest House or to a blood thirsty one. The North will stay strong and this House will not yield to a House with such a sorrid history. If friends want to talk, we are here but let it be known any aggression from a House will be an act of war. Treaty or not."

Are you a Pathfinder GM? Join the team at Eternity's End
Old 12-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16967
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
Charles is unphased by the armored representative's brazen entrance or the Vangar representative's outburst. If there was one thing the ambassador was well used to from his time at the Capital, it was boorishness. "Glad you could join us, representative," congenially greeting the Groffian, "We were just getting acquainted, but as the representative of House Vangar," coolly eyeing the cloaked man, "so poignantly pointed out, why don't we just get down to business? Who wishes to nominate a house to the throne?"

Waiting a moment's pause for his question to ripple amid the representatives, Charles looks curiously at the Vangarian, "As vocal as House Vangar is being, perhaps, they would like to be the first to offer a nomination? Or, if not a nomination, then, prithee, speak your mind more plainly, at least. What is your objection? House Vangar will not suffer one of the southern houses to wear the crown?"
Old 12-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Dreaded blue eye-square!

Tools
User Statistics
Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios
Cien raised a hand and covered the smile that formed at Groff's disruption and Vangar's outburst. When he lowered his hand, his face was once again serious. "While I can certainly suppose that nobody who knows my house's history would be surprised at our agreement with the sentiment. A corrupt house cannot be allowed to take the throne. But there are many houses here, and many more prominent families throughout the Kingdom. We can certainly attempt to be equitable and peaceable before we immediately dive into anger and hostility." He shrugged. "After all, we have little enough reason to dislike each other so far. The Herzog dynasty did a good job of keeping such hostility down.

"There may be a way to avoid a mass catastrophe. Such would be bad for the people of our territories. And bad for business."

When the representative from Galliberos raised the issue of nominations, the Scaloach ambassador raised both hands in rejection. "My house is too new to these climes. We are not prepared to make any nominations just yet."

Last edited by Adorios; 12-03-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:12 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 168
Gadring Gadring
Michael's face contorts ever so slightly into what could best be described as a snarl with the entrance of the Groff representative, but he quickly smooths it out before speaking again, That is one thing I can agree with. House McMahon will not stand for the world being plunged into chaos by a bloodthirsty king, and while we may be best known for being a pacifist country, so are wild animals until they are provoked. Give us cause, and you might not like drawing us into war. As far as nominations go, I think it is premature to start with that talk. Let the embers of the King's funeral pyre cool before we go thinking of replacing him. The King maintains the peace, but we can form our own treaties to ensure the status quo is maintained for now. Michael pulls out a quill and paper and motions around the table. How about we begin by simply declaring the next month a cease-fire of sorts. I know no one here would admit it even if I were to ask, but you all know as well as I do that contracts are put out to leagues and the assassin's guild every day. Let us promise to spend the next month celebrating the life of our dead regent, instead of trying to install a new one. In that time we will all have the chance to feel each other out, and decide who we each deem worthy of taking the place of Herzog. Michael places the papers on the table and looks around again, Shall I begin writing out a treaty?
Old 12-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos Gulielmos
"House Vangar will join House McMahon in declaring next month a month of mourning."

Old 12-03-2013, 11:43 PM
Dreaded blue eye-square!

Tools
User Statistics
Cien hesitated as McMahon unfurled the paper. ”I certainly also like the general idea of a month of mourning. But I am nervous about what the language of that treaty would be. I would certainly support a moratorium on the hiring of new leagues, as well as a pledge not to launch invasions of other territories.

“But, speaking as my father’s representative, House Scaloach is not going to agree to a stand down. With bandit and pirate activity sure to pick up as news of the King’s death spreads, we will need the leagues to keep our people safe.”
Old 12-04-2013, 12:30 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Gadring Gadring
Then let the treaty state as follows. Michael says, emboldening and raising his voice for the first time since entering the throne room.

1. No house shall hire any league, mercenary, soldier or warrior of any kind in the next month for the purpose of launching any form of covert or open mission or campaign in foreign lands. For the purpose of this treaty, "hire" shall mean bring under one's employ in any fashion, whether for coin or promise of coin in the future, or voluntary action on the part of the league. (Meaning no league will work for free to achieve a houses desires.)
1.a. This does not prevent any house from hiring any league for the defense of their own territory. However, any league hired for defense of one's lands is strictly forbidden from entering another's lands.

2. No house shall hire any theif, assassin, hero or any other private party to enact any contract or perform any malignant service on foreign soil or to any foreign dignitary traveling through that house's own territory.

3. Any violation of this treaty shall be considered a crime against our late king, and shall be considered a treasonous action punishable by fines and sanctions up to and including Extra Legum, which shall be decided by the king's advisors.
Michael looks up as he finished writing, gauging the response around the table.

I am, of course, more than happy to field any other suggestions. We can add to this list, or I can scrap it and start again. I have plenty of paper. Michael says with only a hint of sarcasm as he shuffles the stack of paper in front of him. I came prepared for discussions of a legislative nature. he concludes with a wink.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:29 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 196
Legion Legion
"I wasn't aware that my grieving of our dear leader's demise needed such legislation," quipped Lady Arabeth dryly as Michael suggests a treaty for period of mourning. These are the first words spoken by the representative of House Dreyri and they are as cold as her demeanour.

"You talk of a 'cease-fire' between the houses, well I wasn't aware of any current hostilities that needed ceasing. This treaty seems painfully redundant, the Treaty of Vestun already holds the peace and the idea of legisating covert affairs is a laughable oxymoron within itself. My eastern neighbours, despite your most noble intentions I wouldn't be so eager to put pen to paper just yet," states Arabeth calmly as she turns to the representative from House Vangar.

"And as for an entire month of waiting before electing Fredrick's successor, well that's absurd. You speak as if you are trying to bide your time, stalling behind superficial treaties so as to give time to sharp your knives. What this kingdom needs is quick and smooth transition of power. The longer we wait, the greater the civil unrest will be and the longer those will less than honourable intentions will have to sully these halls with their poisonous conspiracies."

"House Dreyri demands that the moot to determine the next king of Alstenot takes place not in a month, but in week from this meeting. That should be an adequate amount time to organise yourself with your masters. Not to mention that it also doesn't leave too much time for the less scrupulous to engage these covert affairs you so clearly wish to cull." After speaking her mind, Arabeth pauses and awaits the retorts to her strongly worded proposal.

Last edited by Legion; 12-04-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:15 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
""The Lady does speak truth."" The man from House Vangar shakes his head in what could be taken as shame."If I signed paper written up and signed by anyone here I would be disgracing my House. The House that the forefathers of my family created only to be hunted like dogs before the Treaty and since. Thank you kind Lady for reminding me why only family can be trusted. My House will never allow an unfit King to rest on the throne. Peace can not be won while blood boils in the hearts of some of you. You can have your false peace but war is coming. Where do each of you stand? Do you stand for false peace or a quick strike."

Old 12-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Gadring Gadring
It is unfortunate, that we are all so quick to draw blades. Michael says, trailing off at the end of the sentence to emphasize the idea as he stares intently at Arabeth. Vangar, it saddens me that you think so little of me. You believe the bloodthirsty one there over McMahon, the bastion of pacifism and equality in our ever dangerous world? There is no need for war. Our differences can be settled here. Michael says softly, spreading his arms wide gesturing to the table they all sit at. And Arabeth, what I propose is hardly redundant. The temporary treaty I propose in respect for our late king only fills the loop-holes in the Treaty of Vestun that have been so happily taken advantage of by some in this room. In a week, those who's blood boils will still be boiling, thirsting for war. In a month, maybe cooler heads will have arisen, and we can try to avoid this war all of you seem so ready to jump into. Do not be so quick to offer up the lives of the innocents in your lands.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
"War, my dear representative, is no inevitability, despite our misgivings," replies the Galliberos ambassador to the Vangarian. "House Galliberos stands for a lasting peace, such as we all enjoyed beneath our late sovereign. With all our masters' similar commitment, we can secure such and spare ourselves a third recurrence of senseless internecine war."

Leaning back in his seat, Charles smoothly adds: "And the Dreyri representative brings up two valid points, in her own signature way. While I would applaud House McMahon's zeal to preserve the peace, the ancient Treaty of Vestun already guards against each of the aggressions delineated. Though leagues can indeed be purchased, for instance, even under Vestun, aggression therewith is not without fitting retribution from the crown. I might add that even our masters' unanimous voice could not bind the crown's council of advisers to deem a deed treasonous or not. A treaty among us would be nothing to them. The law as it presently exists shall have to suffice as the council's and army's guide."

"Second, His Majesty's spirit is no doubt grateful for the reverent sentiment. However," the ambassador's cool facade drops for a more serious mien, "the peace and security of the realm falls to our masters to secure by picking a swift successor. We have not the luxury to delay long in that duty, if not for hot tempers, then for emboldened schemes. Recall that our masters are not the only powers in Alstenot. A month is more than enough to prepare and enact all manner of scheme by agent domestic or foreign, to say nothing of any house; a week, far less so. So," the cool smile returns, "House Galliberos would second reconvening here no later than a week's time." His sharp eyes look about at the representatives who have not yet weighed in.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Lord of the Dork Side

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6049
darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon
The representative from Groff speaks up. "I agree with Dreyri. I see no reason to give the other houses time to prepare for war, when Groff has been ready for years. Because make no mistake, if we cannot agree on who shall succeed House Herzog as ruler, that is what will happen. And I will not sit idly while my neighbors gather armies!" He punctuates his last point with a closed fist, slamming it into the table with enough force to cause it to bounce slightly.

The woman from Alatir then replies, in a softer voice. "Talk of gathering armies is a bit premature, I think, and in your case, hypocritical," Groff glares at her, but she does not relent. "In any case, let us not worry for war at the moment. Perhaps we can find common ground in one another and agree upon a successor to the throne without much debate, which would make all this discussion of signed treaties and accusations of sharpened daggers moot. Our ancestors made that mistake in the past, allowing politics to stand in the way of duty, taking advantage of their king's demise to further their own agenda. Surely we are better than that? It is foolish to worry about crossing a river when there is a bridge in plain sight."

Last edited by darthcharon; 12-04-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Nodding to the Alatiran, "Well put, dear representative. Then the question for these assembled is simple. Do we reconvene after a day, week, or similar period of mourning for our beloved king? Or, esteemed colleagues, does someone wish now to hazard a nomination?"