Game Thread 1. Misty Mountain Hop - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > All Along the Watchwall
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 08-30-2015, 09:41 PM
Spankucus's Avatar
Spankucus Spankucus is offline
salty old cur
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-22-2019
RPXP: 16826
Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus
Posts: 5,883
Marack Dovorson (Application) (Sheet)

Marack didn't like the papers he found. Not one bit. Even a small group of Thayans could field a force many times their size, with sufficient corpses and graveyards. Knowing the Thayans already outnumbered Aglarondians without their undead eroded what little respect he had for Aglarondians. Oh well, he thought, folding the paper and stowing it. Just means I get to kill more than I first thought.

After reading the letter, killings fields honestly didn't surprise Marack. If this was the best Algarond could do, the Thayans had already won. Don't matter, Marack decided, kicking over a frozen corpse. Algarondians can lose the war; I'll just win all my battles.

The order to search the cave only deepened Marack's mood. He had no desire to hole up underground with a thousand and one corpses ready for the raising just feet from the cave's entrance. He scowled at Trouble as he snatched the torch and stalked off to the entrance. In another life, he would have shown the young leader the error in her ways. But that Marack died long ago. And right now, he didn't care enough to speak his mind.

The middle-aged fighter placed the burning brand in his shield hand, drawing his sword with his other. Whatever was in this cave would have an armed and ready Marack. He drew into the cave, not caring if anyone followed him.

 
__________________
Out Indefinitely. No Issues: Just Busy With RL. Best Wishes Until We Meet Again!


Characters: Delani | Amos | Darkbow | Egon | Marack | Barnabas | Desdemona
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-31-2015, 01:23 AM
Webling Webling is offline
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-31-2016
RPXP: 330
Webling Webling Webling Webling
Posts: 837
Thankful for a brief moment to himself, Preter knelt down, and, giving thanks to his god, also prayed for blessings upon the trio's quick trek into the cave itself.

"Do any of you require magical light before journeying forward? I could provide it to you, should you need it."

Character informationPreter Taim
HP 21
Hit Dice 3/3
AC 17
Spells prepared: Cantrips - Light, Mending, Sacred Flame, Spare the Dying
Level 1 - Bless, Cure Wounds, Shield of Faith, Detect Magic (also Burning Hands, Faerie Fire)
Level 2 - Prayer of Healing, Hold Person (also Flaming Sphere, Scorching Ray)
Spell slots: Level 1 - 4/4
Level 2 - 1/2
__________________
A true character takes on a life of their own. - Taker of the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-07-2015, 06:13 PM
Spankucus's Avatar
Spankucus Spankucus is offline
salty old cur
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-22-2019
RPXP: 16826
Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus
Posts: 5,883
Marack Dovorson (Application) (Sheet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webling View Post
"Do any of you require magical light before journeying forward? I could provide it to you, should you need it."
Marack just grunted and pressed on. Had his mood been better, he might have recognized the advantage in having his shield alight allowing him to wield his shield and sword rather than his sword and a torch. But Marack wasn't thinking that way, still grousing about being sent below ground will so many potential zombies mere feet from the cave's entrance.

 
__________________
Out Indefinitely. No Issues: Just Busy With RL. Best Wishes Until We Meet Again!


Characters: Delani | Amos | Darkbow | Egon | Marack | Barnabas | Desdemona

Last edited by Spankucus; 09-07-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-10-2015, 12:51 AM
phinar's Avatar
phinar phinar is online now
pushing poo uphill
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-16-2020
RPXP: 13768
phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar
Posts: 4,208
At the Cave's MawThe small group divides, making itself smaller, as Trouble dispatches a scouting detail into the cave's gullet. The remaining group stays with the carts at the cave's mouth, barely kissed by its shadows in the glare of sun on snow.

For the first minute or two, standing picket permits some regrouping: Corporal Cowl, still in shock from the concussion wave of some spell, is situated amongst the baggage and secured. Private Taim inspects her, but can find no obvious cause for the librarian's distress.

Trouble ensures the mules are fed and performs a quick inventory of the carts. It's barely enough to keep Griffon Company fed for two days, but the Troublemakers could stretch it out to a week if need be. Halfway through counting the arrows, something catches her eye.

The battlefield is a-flutter with the wheeling wings and snapping beaks of carrion birds — mostly crows, but some eagles pluck rats from the carnage. The constant churning motion makes it hard to spot enemy combatants, since sentries are trained to look for movement. Or so Trouble tells herself, when she realizes that a pack of zombies, perhaps fifteen strong, is being driven across the southern end of the field.

Fortunately, the birds' camouflage effect works both ways: the driver, a mounted man with a long green-black cloak, has not noticed them. The zombies might not even have the capacity to notice.


In the Mountain's GulletThe tunnel winds once or twice, descending sharply at first. Then the passageway narrows as it levels off, squeezing past an enormous chunk of rock before opening up into a large chamber.

The crisp, icy light of the sun shines down into the chamber, glittering on the icy floor and rendering the torches largely redundant. The room fairly glows with the soft blue of pure snow.

Above, azure sky is visible, hundreds of feet above. The distant noise of battle echoes down the shaft.

The chamber is plenty large — perhaps 80 feet deep and thirty across — but the carts will never get past that squeeze.

As he scans the back wall for exits, Denovar notices a strange rock formation near the back of the cave, but he sees no exits.
__________________
he/him/his DM Westport Play Aryka | Erna | Jamir | Kvarga | Tarchon | Thorn
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Bhelogan's Avatar
Bhelogan Bhelogan is offline
Druid of the Coast
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-16-2020
RPXP: 20598
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Posts: 17,093
Echos and Silence"Hello!" Denovar shouts out in the large empty chamber. The sound echos off the walls and returns, but there is no responding greeting from the other side. "Ya hear that Mac? Of course you did. Now you can hear everything I say more than once. Great isn't it? Best day of your life!" He stares around for a moment until the strange rock formation comes to his attention. "Well, it ain't creaky rickety bones or spooky cloaked shady figures, but those rocks back there do seem odd. What do you suppose caused that? Fossilized dragon dung? Piles of melted goblin teeth? Or maybe it's just some ancient work of art created by neanderthals like us. Come on, lets go check it out."


Quick Stats
left-aligned image
Denovar Highwater
Level: 3 Ranger (Hunter)
HP: 28/28, AC: 14 (16 with shield) Speed: 30ft
Stats: Str 12, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 9
Passive Perception: 14 Feats:: Sharpshooter
Spell Slots 1st 2/3
__________________

Last edited by Bhelogan; 09-11-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 09-12-2015, 08:30 AM
Webling Webling is offline
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-31-2016
RPXP: 330
Webling Webling Webling Webling
Posts: 837
Having carried the librarian with them, Preter covered the poor man with a blanket. "May Chauntea's light be with you wherever you are," he said, touching his forehead in a sign of prayer.

Coming back out to the entrance to look at the field, he noticed both the zombies and the wagon. Thinking hard for a moment, he said, "Do you think that the undead are attracted by movement? And with too much movement, they could be confused? Or is it perhaps only a certain type of movement, such as bipedal movement, that causes them to attack?"

Character informationPreter Taim
HP 21
Hit Dice 3/3
AC 17
Spells prepared: Cantrips - Light, Mending, Sacred Flame, Spare the Dying
Level 1 - Bless, Cure Wounds, Shield of Faith, Detect Magic (also Burning Hands, Faerie Fire)
Level 2 - Prayer of Healing, Hold Person (also Flaming Sphere, Scorching Ray)
Spell slots: Level 1 - 4/4
Level 2 - 1/2
__________________
A true character takes on a life of their own. - Taker of the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 09-12-2015, 09:22 AM
Spankucus's Avatar
Spankucus Spankucus is offline
salty old cur
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-22-2019
RPXP: 16826
Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus
Posts: 5,883
Marack Dovorson (Application) (Sheet)

The Neverwinterian looked around the cavern. He had not expected such a wide area within the cave. How high is the hole above from the cave floor?Nor had he expected a hole in the ceiling that allowed the sunlight down. And anything that wants to kill us, Marack thought, Probably Investigation
Dice Roll:
1d20 10
trying to position this skylight to the battlefield outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
"Well, it ain't creaky rickety bones or spooky cloaked shady figures, but those rocks back there do seem odd. What do you suppose caused that? Fossilized dragon dung? Piles of melted goblin teeth? Or maybe it's just some ancient work of art created by neanderthals like us. Come on, lets go check it out."
Perception, +2 Prof
Dice Roll:
1d20+2 (16)+2 Total = 18
Marack peered to where the perceptive archer indicated, holding his fiery brand high to light the area. Assuming he didn't see anything threatening, Marack carefully approached the area. "Get your bow out," Marack grunted to Denovar as Marack passed him.

OOCIf enough sunlight lightens the area, Marack will prop the torch against a rock and wield his shield. If insufficient light exists, he'll keep the same torch & sword configuration.

 
__________________
Out Indefinitely. No Issues: Just Busy With RL. Best Wishes Until We Meet Again!


Characters: Delani | Amos | Darkbow | Egon | Marack | Barnabas | Desdemona

Last edited by Spankucus; 09-12-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 09-12-2015, 12:18 PM
Osse's Avatar
Osse Osse is offline
Orange Pirate
Good People
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-16-2020
RPXP: 8932
Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse
Posts: 1,405
Forty Pies"I do not know, Private.", answered the Sergeant. "What I know is, that when it comes to Thayans, the undead usually have someone alive controlling them. I just hope, that a snowfall comes to cover our tracks. Only the lieutenant should know, that we are here."

Trouble went back to one cart and started unloading it. "It's best to be prepared for the worst, the monks used to say, well... something along those lines. I forgot the exact words." She then untied it, from a mule and began pushing it to the entrance. "Come help me tip this on its side and block the path. If those things are going to head here, I don't intend to let them in easy."

The makeshift barricade looked shabby, but it looked sturdy enough to delay a small skeleton troop, by several crucial seconds. If not that, then at the least, it would provide cover, blocking arrows. "The others should be back soon.", she said, while looking out through an opening, over the cart. "Those undead don't seem to have noticed us, yet. I'll take the first watch. Go sit down and rest for now. Sleep if you want, but have your weapons readied."


 
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 09-14-2015, 04:03 PM
phinar's Avatar
phinar phinar is online now
pushing poo uphill
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-16-2020
RPXP: 13768
phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar
Posts: 4,208
At the Cave's MawDespite Trouble's activity in erecting the barricade, the group of zombies continues to the west. As the first group moves off to the west, though, the relief is short-lived. Another group moves onto the field within just a few moments. Then a third. The stream of traffic moving across the battlefield is irregular, but fairly constant.

At the cave's mouth, Trouble and Taim feel exposed. The barricade helps.


In the Mountain's GulletGlancing up, Marack estimates the shaft above to be 150 yards of vertical climb. The shaft's sides are irregular, with spurs and openings suggesting that this piece of rock may be honeycombed with passageways. With a little cognitive effort, the fighter gathers that the top of the shaft is some distance yet above the battle that rages above — the high roads are about 100 yards above. Still, vertical distance is hard to gauge: maybe his dead reckoning is dead wrong.

He sets the torch down and unslings his shield, advancing to where the sharp-eyed archer has identified an oddity. On closer inspection, the misshapen rock is actually a goat, frozen under a thick layer of ice. To either side of the goat, other shapes become more recognizable: foxes, a bear cub, a wolf. Each of them is pressed against the outer wall of the cave and frozen beneath a layer of ice, like some prehistoric freezer in desperate need of a defrosting.
__________________
he/him/his DM Westport Play Aryka | Erna | Jamir | Kvarga | Tarchon | Thorn
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 09-18-2015, 11:52 AM
Spankucus's Avatar
Spankucus Spankucus is offline
salty old cur
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-22-2019
RPXP: 16826
Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus
Posts: 5,883
Marack Dovorson (Application) (Sheet)

What in the Lowerdark is that? Investigation: what would cause animals to be flash-frozen?
Dice Roll:
1d20 1
Well, he's no help.
Marack wondered, squinting at the frozen animals. Such a sight, the woodsman and trapper had never seen. Frozen whole animals? Just encased in ice? Just like some white dragon up and . . . .

Marack stumbled backward, as if the iced animals had threatened him. Despite the chill, a cold sweat formed on his brow. His breathing became ragged and quick, his heart pounded in fear. Perception +2, evidence a dragon frequenting this place
Dice Roll:
1d20+2 (1)+2 Total = 3
Really? Two in a row? I really need to stop posting more than one dice tag at once. Its like the random number generator is tied to the computer time index . . . .
He jerked his head around, wildly looking for any evidence of a wyvern.

The open dome.

The thought struck him like a warhammer. He instantly looked up, trying to imagine how big of a white dragon could fit through that hole in the high ceiling.

Marack settled on "Pretty Big" as, honestly, all he knew about dragons, white or otherwise, he knew from stories, legends, and drunken tales told over mead. But what he saw seemed to fit the stories: flash frozen animals likely kept for food, a wide chamber underground but accessible by the air, frozen tundra . . . .

They had to leave.

Now.

"We need to leave. NOW!" Marack declared suddenly with a fearful urgency. The greying man turned immediately, regardless of Denevor's statements, and quickly worked his way back.

 
__________________
Out Indefinitely. No Issues: Just Busy With RL. Best Wishes Until We Meet Again!


Characters: Delani | Amos | Darkbow | Egon | Marack | Barnabas | Desdemona

Last edited by Spankucus; 09-24-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 09-21-2015, 03:34 PM
Bhelogan's Avatar
Bhelogan Bhelogan is offline
Druid of the Coast
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-16-2020
RPXP: 20598
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Posts: 17,093
BogymanDenovar watched as Marack made his observation of the frozen animal pile. To Denovar, these are just unfortunately frozen animals that got stuck down here and couldn't find any way out. However, something spooked Marack. Denovar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelogan View Post
Dice * Denovar - Perception: Whats spooked Dovorson?:
1d20+4 (2)+4 Total = 6
scratches his head for a moment trying to understand what has gotten into his ally. "You see a Bogyman Mac? There aint nothing in here but helpless frozen critters. Fire might do em some good." Then it occurred to Denovar, that Marack may have heard something outside that prompted his urgent exit. "Oh No! The Bogyman is outside? Don't worry Sarg! We are on our way to save ya!"


Quick Stats
left-aligned image
Denovar Highwater
Level: 3 Ranger (Hunter)
HP: 28/28, AC: 14 (16 with shield) Speed: 30ft
Stats: Str 12, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 9
Passive Perception: 14 Feats:: Sharpshooter
Spell Slots 1st 2/3
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:06 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB