Game Thread Chapter Four: Terminus - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Lost Mines of Phandelver
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old 09-27-2019, 02:04 PM
Elwen's Avatar
Elwen Elwen is offline
Great Wyrm
Hall of Fame DM 2011
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-21-2020
RPXP: 12057
Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen
Posts: 10,149
Shaeria
left-aligned image
Shaeria

The hum of the Song dies on her lips as Hadarai and Leo finish off the remaining skeletons that still threaten their friend. She glances to the remainder, the undead still huddled against the wall, and some part of her wants to finish them off as well, lay the lot of them to rest and end the unnatural abomination against life that they represent. But they had a mission, and she would not risk Ohlund's further safety even for so noble a purpose. With a flourish, she sheathes her thin elvish blade, the green flames snuffing out from along the surface of it. She puts her hand on Ohlund's shoulder, looking him over for signs of mortal wounds. He was bloodied, but he would live, and her magic could do nothing to improve his condition. Satisfied that the danger is over, she strides back out of the room to rejoin the rest of the party.



Stat Block
 

Character Sheet
 
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 09-27-2019, 03:55 PM
Disaster Master's Avatar
Disaster Master Disaster Master is online now
Natural 20 ;)
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-25-2020
RPXP: 7533
Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master
Posts: 4,249
Vierna
left-aligned image
Vierna Vandree
"Sweet!" Vierna said with a smirk to Hadarai as he snuffed out the force that animated the last remaining skeleton that hadn't submitted to her command.

The priestess thought to chase the other skeletons away, deeper into the complex so that the Black Spider would have to deal with them. While she would have liked to trouble the murderer, at least a bit, she quickly discarded the idea. She and her companions could still proceed on the assumption that their foes were unaware of their presence. This, however, would possibly change if she allowed them to wonder who had stirred up the skeletons.

Next to her, Shaeria was sheathing her rapier again. Vierna raised her eyebrow and looked at the other female. "There are still five skeletons waiting to be taken out. Hadarai will certainly be able to tell you a story whose moral is that whenever monsters guard a room, secrets and treasures are not far."

She gestured at the cowering undead. "Just keep in mind to take out one after the other so that the rest will still be ensorcelled." Vierna winked at Shaeria, and, in spite of the — possibly put on — lordly tone of her words, it was a benign gesture.

Vierna didn't seem to expect a reply from Shaeria and stepped towards Ohlund. "Are you alright?" she asked him and briefly inspected his wounds. "This day seems to be ill-fated. First the stirges, now the skeletons. But that's of no importance. All that counts is that they didn't get the better of you."

She smiled at him encouragingly. "I hope that you don't challenge the honesty of my words. Don't worry. Even a drow can empathize — although most won't admit it. And if you still don't believe me, don't worry. There are also solid arguments why I am glad that you didn't succumb to these undead. I need you and your prowess as well to see my sister's murderer arrested."
Stat Block
 
Character Sheet
 
__________________
Playing: Maja human mystic Cassandra protector aasimar paladin Thora sun elven fighter Vierna dark elven cleric
DMing: Out of the Abyss Taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 09-28-2019, 05:03 PM
OldSchool's Avatar
OldSchool OldSchool is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-24-2020
RPXP: 2542
OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool
Posts: 786
Ohlund
left-aligned image

As the final threatening skeleton crumbles into a pile of inanimate bones and armor Ohlund doubles over, hands on knees and breathing hard. The man is still bleeding from half a dozen small wounds, but the worst of his injuries seem to have been magically healed.

The warrior looks up and manages a tired smile when he feels Shaeria's hand on his shoulder. He nods his thanks, knowing that words aren't necessary. They had come to one another's aid in what felt like half a hundred battles, this was the camaraderie born of battle.

Ohlund nods to Leo and Nezkan in turn before he glances at Vierna and Hadarai, an odd look on his face. The man's mouth twists as the priestess examines his wounds and asks if he is alright, and for a moment it almost seems as though the man is uncomfortable. However, when Vierna finishes speaking Ohlund looks her in the eye and speaks in a gruff voice.

"I still do not condone some of what you say and do, but I have also been.... uncharitable. I have thought the worst of you, when I should not have. Thank you, Vierna, you saved my life."

The man glances down at his boots, clearly ashamed and embarrassed.

"The same is true of you, Hadarai. I do not agree with all that you do, but you do not deserve my suspicion and mistrust. You did everything in your power to save me from my own folly."

Clearly exhausted, the warrior draws a deep breath and stalks away, hammering the remaining skeletons into dust one after another. The others do not fail to notice how deliberate and wary the warrior is after his near brush with death.

OOC


Stat Block
 


Character Sheet
 
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 09-28-2019, 06:30 PM
fuerdrake's Avatar
fuerdrake fuerdrake is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-24-2020
RPXP: 5856
fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake
Posts: 3,659
Leomenor "Leo" Insil
right-aligned image


That had been close. Even drow clerics were useful in dealing with undead, and they were lucky to have Vierna with them. Ohlund, especially, was lucky.

"Nezkan, Shaeria, Hadarai, we should probably destroy them before the magic wears off. "



OOC

Assuming that Leo, Hadarai, Shaeria, and Nezkan can finish off the fleeing skeletons without getting attacked, because between them, they could destroy a skeleton before it could strike back? Probably like advantage for the attack rolls, because the skeletons are trying to scratch their way through walls right now?

Init: 15
Concentration:

Leo Move:
Leo Bonus Action:
Leo Action:
Leo Move:

Leo Reaction: (if needed) Shield Spell

Vrak Action:
Vrak's Move:


 


STATS
 

Character Sheet
 
__________________
- - - - Fuerdrake

Last edited by fuerdrake; 10-01-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-01-2019, 07:54 PM
Begon Ugo's Avatar
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo is offline
Feeding my addiction...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-24-2020
RPXP: 13291
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Posts: 6,568
Wave Echo CaveOne by one, the remaining skeletons are stalked and returned to their eternal rest. There is little resistance... against one seasoned veteran maybe... but against the party, now a well-oiled machine after so many battles... they offer no challenge at all. The party finds themselves in the same situation as before… now just weaker… and with a locked deposit box. The maze like corridors to the northwest still wait… as does the slightly ajar door to the north. The corridor to the east leads to the fluorescent green glowing moss and beyond.

OocCombat is over. If you take a rest I will be rolling for random encounters.

 
__________________
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
I have taken The Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-01-2019, 08:06 PM
Elwen's Avatar
Elwen Elwen is offline
Great Wyrm
Hall of Fame DM 2011
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-21-2020
RPXP: 12057
Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen
Posts: 10,149
Shaeria
left-aligned image
Shaeria

Shaeria glances to the rest of the party. Despite the unfortunate beginning of that skirmish, they had efficiently dealt with the threat without losing many resources. An improvement over the ambush of the stirges. "One way is as good as another if we don't know where our quarry lies. If I were a Black Spider searching for a source of untapped magic, the glowing green moss would seem an enticing path. What do you think?"



Stat Block
 

Character Sheet
 
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-02-2019, 05:29 PM
Disaster Master's Avatar
Disaster Master Disaster Master is online now
Natural 20 ;)
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-25-2020
RPXP: 7533
Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master
Posts: 4,249
Vierna
left-aligned image
Vierna Vandree
It didn't happen often, but Vierna was quite perplexed after Ohlund's words. What flabberghasted her most was that she felt that the human warrior had meant every word as he had said it. In her life that already lasted for more than a century, no one had ever given sincere thanks to the drow, or without any ulterior motives.

She didn't know whether she should accept them or whether it would let her look weak. Hadn't her skin had the color of polished obsidian, Ohlund would have seen a blush on her face.

Finally, the drow made an effort and clapped Ohlund encouragingly on his shoulder. Not everything here on the surface is bad, she thought, so why not accept the good customs?

"Thank you for your words, Ohlund," Vierna said. "But now, Hadarai may need my help with the lock on the old box."

While she had a try at the lock together with the half-elven bard, she listened with half an ear to Shaeria's suggestion. "I agree with you, Shaeria. And even if this isn't the path to the killer, it will be worthwhile to find out what makes the moss glow. Faerzress?"
Stat Block
 
Character Sheet
 
__________________
Playing: Maja human mystic Cassandra protector aasimar paladin Thora sun elven fighter Vierna dark elven cleric
DMing: Out of the Abyss Taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-02-2019, 05:53 PM
Maladict's Avatar
Maladict Maladict is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-23-2020
RPXP: 3282
Maladict Maladict Maladict Maladict Maladict Maladict Maladict Maladict Maladict Maladict Maladict
Posts: 594
Hadarai Deorla
left-aligned image
After the last skeleton collapsed Hadarai took a few moments to nudge the piles of bones apart a bit, separating the pieces from each other - just to make things trickier if they had any bright ideas about getting back up. As he worked he listened in on the conversation and smiled to himself. Proof it is possible to get along!

With the work done he took a moment to peer down the mossy corridor, wondering what it might hold. Hmm, classic adventurer-bait, but too many possibilities to be sure. Could be good, the path to the boss, could be full of danger. Insects in the moss? No, surely not insects, not after the stirges. Plant monsters? Spores or toxins? Or could just be a shiny distraction, but in that case it would at least have some reward at the end to make it worth the time. Might as well take a look, so long as we're on guard.

Deciding his conclusions were too half-formed to be worth sharing, he moved over to re-join Vierna and the box, and produced his neat roll of lock-picks again. The two of them pooled their talents and pitted their collective wills against the old lock, which surely would fail before them.

Statblock
 

Last edited by Maladict; 10-02-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-02-2019, 11:21 PM
fuerdrake's Avatar
fuerdrake fuerdrake is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-24-2020
RPXP: 5856
fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake
Posts: 3,659
Leomenor "Leo" Insil
right-aligned image


After all the obvious threats were destroyed, Leo took a quick breath. It hadn't been so bad, well, except for Ohlund. But the tough veteran was still alive and would live to fight another day.

Hey, buddy, can you check out the room with the glowing stuff? Is there a path through? Leo asked his longtime companion.

In the meantime, there was a room to search. Not that they could take too much time, and Leo had been contemplating a search as they had been destroying undead. Almost as satisfying as killing orcs, given the antipathy his master held for undead. After all, It had presented the orcs to satisfy Leo's need for vengeance, and Leo was happy to reciprocate and lessen the power of It's foes.

While Hadarai and Vierna got up to whatever they go up to, Leo called to his friends. "Care to help me check out the room, as it's trap has hopefully already been sprung?"


OOC

Init:
Concentration:

Leo Move:
Leo Bonus Action:
Leo Action: Search the room for goodies
Leo Move:

Leo Reaction: (if needed) Shield Spell

Vrak Action: Checking out the glowing room
Vrak's Move: sneaky sneaky


 


STATS
 

Character Sheet
 
__________________
- - - - Fuerdrake
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-04-2019, 12:23 PM
OldSchool's Avatar
OldSchool OldSchool is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-24-2020
RPXP: 2542
OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool
Posts: 786
Ohlund
left-aligned image

Once the skeletons have all been destroyed Ohlund slumps to the floor to catch his breath. The man mutters to himself, clearly frustrated with his earlier mishap. When Leo strolls by and asks for help searching the room the warrior rises, albeit a bit gingerly, and nods to the half elf.

"I will help while the others examine the chest. I have no skill with locks."

The man glances at the shattered bones uneasily, but begins to move about the room, shadowing Leo.

OOC
I had already rolled an investigation check, so I don't know if it's appropriate to roll another.

Stat Block
 


Character Sheet
 
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 10-04-2019, 06:42 PM
Begon Ugo's Avatar
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo is offline
Feeding my addiction...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-24-2020
RPXP: 13291
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Posts: 6,568
Wave Echo CaveThe skeletons fall like dominos, one after another, until silence save the distant thundering fills the air. A quick search of the room reveals nothing of interest, much to the chagrin of Ohlund. His life almost lost for nothing… molded bones and rust ruined weapons. It’s hard for the warrior to accept and so he feels the need to pick up every axe and sword he finds… hoping against hope that this one would justify the waste of resources and energy. All he finds however is his hands dyed a bright orange as the oxidized metal flakes fall apart in his grasp. Even with Leomenor’s keen elven eyes… the room is bare… a long forgotten battle frozen in time. The room quivers like the last breath of a dying warrior as the latest boom thunders its way about the mine complex… it is time to move on.

Vierna and Hadarai have a bit more luck, however, as they bend down to inspect their lockbox. The dinged and dented metal box is easily opened by the thin dexterous fingers of the elves. The lock-picks do their job and the dynamic duo is met with the lustrous glow of precious metal. Hadari dips his hands into the box and lifts a heaping handful of coin that clatters back into the box like a cascading waterfall. The lockbox serves as just another sign… like the boots worn by Gundren’s brother, that the Black Spider must have moved deeper into the mines in a hurry.

Leo, once again, sends Vrak forward to reenter the glowing moss covered chamber. The shadow imp dutifully flaps ahead, quickly disappearing from sight.



OocIn case I haven't said it in awhile... THANK YOU! Seriously all... its been a pleasure Dming for you. This is my first game I ever Dm'd and for it to last this long is amazing! The lockbox contains 600 cp, 180 sp, 90 ep, and 60 gp.

 
__________________
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
I have taken The Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Begon Ugo; 10-04-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 10-05-2019, 07:14 PM
fuerdrake's Avatar
fuerdrake fuerdrake is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-24-2020
RPXP: 5856
fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake
Posts: 3,659
Leomenor "Leo" Insil
right-aligned image


"Nice. We can pay for supper tonight. Well, we should keep moving, I think. Vrak is reporting some structures or buildings past the glowing moss."

Leo checks his kit and begins to slowly walk back the way they came.


OOC

Init:
Concentration:

Leo Move:
Leo Bonus Action:
Leo Action: Search the room for goodies
Leo Move:

Leo Reaction: (if needed) Shield Spell

Vrak Action: Checking out the glowing room
Vrak's Move: sneaky sneaky


 


STATS
 

Character Sheet
 
__________________
- - - - Fuerdrake
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 10-08-2019, 04:30 PM
Maladict's Avatar
Maladict Maladict is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-23-2020
RPXP: 3282
Maladict Maladict Maladict Maladict Maladict Maladict Maladict Maladict Maladict Maladict Maladict
Posts: 594
Hadarai Deorla
left-aligned image
Treasure! Admittedly it was in a rather ordinary box found on a dusty shelf, rather than in an ornate gothic chest flanked by flickering torches, but still - treasure! Hadarai gleefully let the coins pour from his fingers back into the box, relishing in both the tactile sensation and the sudden sensation of wealth. Not that he was the sort to be affected by riches, of course, he was far too moral and sensible for that. Of course. He was just enjoying the moment, no harm in that, he'd stop soon.

Well, soon-ish.

Eventually common-sense reasserted itself, and with some reluctance Hadarai let the last coin fall from his hand to rejoin its fellows. He could always play with them later, he told himself. With one final lingering glance at the treasure box, Hadarai moved over to Leo and peered down the glowing corridor. "What kind of buildings? New or old? Good condition or run-down? What materials? Standard architecture or something weird?" He cracked a half-smile to take the sting off his barrage of questions. "Details are important - they might give us a clue what we're heading in to." And they set the scene properly, he thought, already contemplating how he would write this moment down later.

Statblock
 
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 10-12-2019, 10:25 AM
Disaster Master's Avatar
Disaster Master Disaster Master is online now
Natural 20 ;)
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-25-2020
RPXP: 7533
Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master
Posts: 4,249
Vierna
left-aligned image
Vierna Vandree
"Have you ever had a bath in gold coins, Hadarai?" Vierna, who had watched him curiously for a while, asked the half-elf in Elvish. "Feeling the cool riches not only in your hands but also along your arms and your legs, and on your back, your belly, your breasts?" She sighed longingly.

"Yes, I am not always bathing in the pure blood of pale elves that were sacrificed on the altar of my house," the drow added in a serious tone, but her expression quickly turned into a smirk. "Now stow our new riches away until we have found a bazaar here, and join us at the glowing moss."

Vierna moved forward until she reached it and began to investigate it thoroughly. "Still no signs of the Black Spider?" she asked Leo who was in touch with his imp familiar, scouting deeper inside the complex.
Stat Block
 
Character Sheet
 
__________________
Playing: Maja human mystic Cassandra protector aasimar paladin Thora sun elven fighter Vierna dark elven cleric
DMing: Out of the Abyss Taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 10-13-2019, 10:16 AM
Begon Ugo's Avatar
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo is offline
Feeding my addiction...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-24-2020
RPXP: 13291
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Posts: 6,568
Wave Echo Cave
right-aligned image
The group travels forward towards the glowing chamber. Dense carpets of weird fungi cover large sections of the floor in the cavern. The growth includes puffballs a foot across, weird shelf fungus growing on stalagmites, and large stalks and caps a good five feet tall. Some of the puffballs glow with an eerie green phosphorescence. Most of the fungi is harmless, and the green-glowing fungi allows the party to see the entire cavern without the aid of darkvision or a light source.

As the group enters the cavern, their footfalls are soundless on the dense carpet and it is almost as if the group has traveled to another dimension. The cavern is beautiful in its glowing alien sheen but the beauty does not last. As the last of the group reaches the center of the moss filled chamber, a slight puffing sound can be heard. Green billowing clouds of gas are released into the air, filling the chamber in a miasma of choking vapor.



OocDC 11 Constitution saving throw or take 3d6 poison damage and be poisoned for 10 minutes

 
__________________
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
I have taken The Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:04 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB