Notices

Old 05-13-2019, 10:04 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
HeroFan
Newbie! Fan of Hero Systems aka Champions

Hello world! I'm checking out the site. Particularly curious about anyone playing Hero System and or Champions.

As for a personal introduction, well, I'm ooooold!

Born on overseas military bases and raised by teachers until going to college in California. Met my soulmate there and never left. Lit major working in tech for twenty-five years. Regular church attender and RPG player and game master for thirty-eight years. Learned my first RPG in 1978 at thirteen years old playing Dungeons and Dragons with a group of US Marines in Japan.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:26 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19158
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Goodmorning HeroFan,

That username is kinda telling your favorite system of roleplay ;-). Haven't played any Hero System or Champions yet, can you tell me more about it? What do you like about it and is it comparable with a system I know? (Pathfinder, D&D, Tephra????)
Impressed by your years (decades, hehe) of experience, wow! Are you going to DM us a game or do want to be a player at first?
Anyway, most important is ofcourse to welcome you over here!!!! -->welcome

Hope you have fun and feel free to ask questions if you have them and we will try and help you out
Old 05-14-2019, 09:22 AM
I'm a Helper!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15689
Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom
Welcome HeroFan! I'm not terribly familiar with that system either, but we have lots of folks who like to try different systems given the chance.

I kind of want to learn more about the marines and dnd. I feel like that comes with some stories. Are they the ones that for you hooked on hero systems, or did that come later?

Happy to have you. Let us know if you have trouble finding anything.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:37 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14750
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Welcome to the club chummer!

Always glad to add an experienced player to the roster. Dirk will be along soon to fight you for the RPGX porch rocking chair reserved for the oldest gamer

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!
<<Update >> Schedule is completely borked with no resolution in sight. I will be transitioning to mobile updates on breaks at work. I apologise in advance for any drop in post quality! Please poke me if I've missed anything, it's hard to stay as organized on mobile ~_~
Old 05-14-2019, 04:41 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 56662
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
welcome!

Hey, a California/Military brat! I was born overseas too, and currently (for the next two weeks), live in Cali! And, we are about the same age, I would guess, from your experience there!

Glad you joined us! hope you have a blast!
Old 05-14-2019, 10:55 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
HeroFan
Wow, thanks to everybody for the warm welcome!

Lessee, yeah I definitely learned to be more 'tactical' in D&D then probably most players in their starting groups. I remember in particular some creative uses of 'Passwall' that later editions explicitly disallowed! LOL!

Hero System is point based so chargen can be much more involved (and involve spreadsheets), however imho the system gets a bad rap for being overly complex; it just puts the complexity up front. It's been through 6 editions, and the last two were largely written in a style that maybe is more didactic then it could be. I played all the editions (as well as D&D editions -1 through 5 but somehow missed 3 and 3.5).

Arguably, Hero System is a lot more prep work for the Game Master, and there tends to be a lot less premade material for it (adventure modules, in particular, are lacking) because the nature of it tends to attract people who want to build everything themselves. Unfortunately, no one has done any open license Hero System that I am aware of, so it's kind of a niche system for math geeks, or at least it's been perceived that way when it was better known. I would love to teach people how to play sometime, maybe in low-key, episodic play sessions. I don't have the time though probably, at least for now. It's especially cool to 'port other games flavor and settings into Hero System, but yeah, time.

I loved that, but now have little time, so haven't done any running in about two years, and just started a face to face 5e to learn the system and because a kid at church who saw D&D on "Stranger Things" asked me to teach him to DM. That's been a lot of fun.

I am looking around now, just saying hi and finding out what's up. Admittedly hoping someone else is a Hero System player, but I'm currently playing in a couple of 5e D&D games and a couple of World of Darkness 1e games, so I am not limited by the game system, just time.

Oh, and Admin Dirk thanks! I do gotta disclose up front tho, I am a life long Denver Broncos fan, despite having grown up overseas and 'inheriting' my fandom from my dad, who was born and raised in Denver! That said, I think Mahomes is going to show us what it felt like for everyone else when we had Elway on the field!

Last edited by HeroFan; 05-14-2019 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Shout out to the Broncos!
Old 05-14-2019, 11:13 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
HeroFan
Found this "two page" summary of the latest edition of Hero System, free on DrivethruRPG, my favorite site for such things: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...o-In-Two-Pages
Old 05-15-2019, 03:09 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19158
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Thanks for sharing so much information
Old 05-16-2019, 11:28 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
HeroFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocoladevla View Post
Thanks for sharing so much information
Thanks! My time limitations are already kicking in, so hopefully I'll be able to be somewhat active or at least lurk a bit!
Old 05-16-2019, 08:01 PM
Cute Li'l Pup

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 305
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
Welcome, HeroFan!

I have nothing to contribute besides what already's been said, just dropped by to say hello and thanks for sharing the link about your fave system.