RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 05-30-2019, 01:22 PM
For Sanguinius!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3421
Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon Arkaon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skryptik View Post
@Arkaon - Great to hear, I can promise the date won't be getting moved up if nothing else so you should have time. Good luck on your exam!
Excellent! I have a couple of character ideas in mind, I just need to work on my understanding of the setting a bit more!
Old 05-30-2019, 08:18 PM
Devil's Jester

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 838
Skryptik Skryptik Skryptik Skryptik Skryptik Skryptik Skryptik
Back from Vacation and getting caught up, made some updates to the original post with a more condensed introduction and updated applications list. Took off any entries that were simply posting interest with no concrete character info to clean up the list a little.

Quote:
Time to throw a lit torch into the application bin!
@Tyreal - I really like the character background, I can tell it's a something you've put some work into. It looks however as though the character was maybe originally made for Faerun? As mentioned by Gualdarrama, half-orcs are not on the list of accepted races. Even a half-orog would be an extremely difficult work-in for this particular scenario. I might take on a second group far to the north which has a little more flexibility but it's up to you if you want to rework the character as a different race or hold out for the second opportunity.

Quote:
I propose a cleric character. Stats will be coming along.
@cappucina - I noticed you are brand new to the site so first off, welcome! I will not be able to pm you until you have 4 total posts and your name changes colors. Not all posts count but I believe you can still get them at the new player introductions thread and the dice testing thread.

Quote:
Ok. My next question is whether or not you subscribe to the idea of half-elves as the Hanner Sidhe.
@The Firkraag - Absolutely, as mentioned by Sadral I am more than happy to accept half elves using the Hanner Sidhe origin.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Old 05-30-2019, 10:10 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 331
cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina
Welcome back. How very nice to have a well rested DM!

I haven't played the 5th edition yet! I went into a 27 point 5th edition application - http://chicken-dinner.com/5e/5e-point-buy.html. I used drop down to put in human and it looks like everything gets an extra point. Is this right?

So I pay one point to get a str 10. Just making sure.

And, I'm also trying to read up on the bloodline stuff and using a 30 point buy system with that above mentioned link. Do I start out with 8 bloodline like everything else? But, no bonus for being human? Just making sure.

Last edited by cappucina; 05-30-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:47 PM
Derpy cat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1531
Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral
@Skryptik welcome back !
@Cappucina I'm no DM so take it with a grain of salt until Skryptik answers, but if it can get you started :

Quote:
The Anuirean human replaces the PHB human so the stat increase changes from +1 across the board to 2 +1s or a +2 any. I am in the office right now and will need to consider this more. I will have a better answer this afternoon.

As for the Bloodline ability score, it is valid as a recipient of undefined bonus points at creation so yes you can place your nondescript +1s there.
So the chicken dinner point buy calculator doesn't work here if you select Human in the dropdown menu. The calculator's Human adds 1's everywhere while Birthright uses +1 in two different stats or +2 to a single stat (+Subculture bonus, that is a +1 somewhere else on top of the rest). Dayum, just realized that a non blooded human can start with +4 in a stat if you go all in ?!
You're better off using the calculator without specifying a race and adding the race bonus on your sheet based on the birthright 5e conversion pdf info.

Just in case you're not used to the tool, that point buy calculator has a Custom Rules tab to set the maximum Available Points to 30 if you want to make a blooded character. Sadly there is now way to add a 7th stat for the bloodline ^^. As any stat in 5e though it should start at 8. So you would need 2 points to bring it to 10.

Last edited by Sadral; 05-30-2019 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:20 AM
Devil's Jester

Tools
User Statistics
@cappucina Sadral pretty much covered it.

Don't select a race and it should spend fine. That said, you are going to have a 7th stat for bloodline starting at 8 and a total of 30 points to spend so it's not an ideal tool to use honestly.

Easiest way to explain it is every score costs this much:
  • 8 =0
  • 9=1
  • 10=2
  • 11=3
  • 12=4
  • 13=5
  • 14=7
  • 15=9
You cannot assign points to push a score past 15 using this method. That's a PHB rule, not a house rule.

After you assign the points adding up to 30, you apply the racial bonuses (for humans it is +1 to 2 or +2 to 1 plus your subculture bonus unless you take the feat variant and then it's +1 to 2 attributes only (no subculture bonus). I do not recommend taking the feat variant as a new player.

That being said we are far ways away from needing character sheets so don't feel pressured to provide stats or anything until this process is finished.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:16 PM
Superior Sorcerer Supreme

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4922
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
Quote:
@Tyreal - I really like the character background, I can tell it's a something you've put some work into. It looks however as though the character was maybe originally made for Faerun? As mentioned by Gualdarrama, half-orcs are not on the list of accepted races. Even a half-orog would be an extremely difficult work-in for this particular scenario. I might take on a second group far to the north which has a little more flexibility but it's up to you if you want to rework the character as a different race or hold out for the second opportunity.
I had a feeling it'd be a stretch and him being a Half-Orc is pretty intrinsic to his background so I can't change his race. It'd require a LOT of reworking. I'll try to brew up something more fitting in the coming days.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:06 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 331
cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina
Do I have a level of blooded scion and three levels of cleric? Or, is that just choice I get to make with the point buy?
Old 06-01-2019, 04:08 PM
Devil's Jester

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappucina View Post
Do I have a level of blooded scion and three levels of cleric? Or, is that just choice I get to make with the point buy?
No you would have all of your levels in your chosen class. The scion mechanic is strictly related to the seventh ability score.

Quote:
I had a feeling it'd be a stretch and him being a Half-Orc is pretty intrinsic to his background so I can't change his race. It'd require a LOT of reworking. I'll try to brew up something more fitting in the coming days.
@Tyeal - Sounds good, thank you for understanding. I have received your pm and am taking a moment to kick around the new concept. I will respond as soon as I can (at least before the end of today).

Old 06-01-2019, 04:36 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1969
Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome

Name: Loren Darkstar
Race:
Half Elf (Sidhelien Mother/Khinasi Father)
Class: Warlock 4
Archetype: Hexblade
Patron: The Shadow
Alignment: CN, leaning towards N
Bloodline: Andurias

Appearance: She stands a meager 5’6” with a thin, but deceptively strong and agile frame. She keeps her shoulder length hair in a unusual style. Her hair is parted down the middle with one side dyed black and the other side dyed pure white. Her eyes are a glimmering blue that portray intelligence and cunning. She is usually in her traveling leathers of black and white that show her form to definitely be feminine. She is beautiful by any standard.

General Personality: Loren is pragmatic and reserved. She is used to listening before speaking and staying basically neutral. She doesn't see the world as good and evil, but as choices and consequences to those choices. She knows you can learn much by just listening and observing. She is honest to a fault. If you do or say something stupid she will most likely tell you as much. Its not to be rude. It is just the way she is wired. It takes her awhile to read and understand others motives and values before warming up to them. Once she is connected with someone as friend, she is loyal.

Background: Sage-Researcher and Warlock Apprentice

Personality: All choices and actions in life have consequences and reactions. Therefore, I listen to all sides of an argument before I make a decision.

Ideal: The path to power and self-improvement is through knowledge

Bond: I traded my soul for knowledge and hope to eventually retrieve it back through deeds and actions.

Flaw: Any time things do not go her way she assumes she did the right thing and her patron is involved and punishing her, maybe she is.

Deity: None really, believes that choices control destiny

Domain/Holding Allegiance: Advisor in the court of Lady Cariele

Regency Choice: 1. Coeranys 2. The Alliance 3. The Sielwode

History: Loren was the product of a tryst between a human male sorcerer and an elven female princess in the deep woods of Sielwode. Loren and Princess Lea were deeply in love, but their relationship was forbidden. The human was not to the standards of an elf, let alone a princess. Months before the birth the secret was out and the King Ellistore, of the Sielwode elves, banished Loren from their realms. Unfortunately for the lovelorn Princess Lea, soon after he was killed while fighting trolls or so the story goes.
Loren who was named after her father was born several months later, a bastard among the elves. Because she was born to Princess Lea she was tolerated and allowed to be raised and nurtured in the elven society. No one would publicly say anything against the king or princess. The King despised what happen between his daughter and the human, but he could not help but be enamored with his granddaughter, Loren. King Ellistore and Princess Lea kept her sheltered from the public as much as possible which meant she spent many hours split between the grand library, sword play and the tutelage of the Master sorcerer, Greywolf. She learned the history of not only the elves, but the humans and other races as well as politics and war tactics. Her training in the sword and sorcery was in depth as well.
One day while in the grand library she found a section about the rare magic of warlocks and their powers. She asked her father about it and he warned her to stay away from such magic. That he himself, had a book of strange warlock powers under lock and key in the libraries highest tower to protect us from it as he put it.
Of course, being the typical young elf, she had to find it. She found the room, but could not figure how to get past the magically locked door with no key hole. It was then that a voice spoke to her. It promised knowledge, power and the answer to how to get into the room. It simply popped open the door for her and summoned her to the book.
“Open the book my child. Bath in the knowledge of centuries of study and research” it spoke in her head. How could she resist? It was what she had been doing her whole life, seeking knowledge.
“How do I know you are not some evil being?” she asked. “Who is to say what is evil? Power is not evil. How you use it is a choice of good or evil, right or wrong. Open the book my child so I may show you knowledge of the world.” It made sense to her. ::I choose what to use the knowledge for and how to use it. Who is to say whether it is evil or good.::
Loren unhooked the clasp and started to open the book. Dark smoky shadows bellowed forth and engulfed her. It was not painful, but was a sensation of power and knowledge. She could feel a connection with….a …what was it. She couldn’t describe it as other than The Shadow.
The shadow spoke to her mind. “Good my child. Your training has begun. Do not tell anyone of this, especially your grandfather or mother. I will train you and give you powers you cannot begin to imagine. In turn, you will work for me and do my bidding as needed. Don’t worry, I do not need a lot.“ She did learn and gain powers over time and she kept it to herself. He for the most part did not bother her, but she began to suspect she had been fooled and given her soul for this power.
Over the years, she continued to excel in martial and magical training with the elves and her special training with the Shadow. It wasn’t long before the King needed and envoy to Lady Cariele of Coeranys with all the military and political turmoil in the region. She was the best choice. Her human side could deal with the humans and she understood and explain the elven ways when dealing with the court.
Loren served on the court for many years becoming an advisor to Lady Cariele in all things elven and magical. As war was becoming closer and closer to Cariele and the southern reaches and eastern marches. A alliance was needed and a meeting was set.

Last edited by Clawsome; 06-02-2019 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:12 PM
Superior Sorcerer Supreme

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4922
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
Alright! Got my character app updated!
Old 06-03-2019, 01:07 AM
Derpy cat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1531
Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral Sadral
I have to say, the idea of halfling samurai is both amazing and terrifying at the same time!
Old 06-05-2019, 02:13 PM
For Sanguinius!

Tools
User Statistics
Hey Skryptik! Just wanted to drop in a line to say I am now officially post exams, and am working up the character as we speak. I should hopefully have the concept done and ready to submit by tomorrow sometime!

I intend to introduce Salah bin Khalifa bin Wasl al'Qasar, warrior of the Khinasi, often referred to as "Darab Al'Aqarb" or the "Striking Scorpion".

Watch this space!

Last edited by Arkaon; 06-05-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:34 PM
Devil's Jester

Tools
User Statistics
@Arkaon Sounds great, looking forward to seeing more. Also congratulations on being done with finals. I know well the relief that comes with it.

Considering the good amount of interest and high quality of characters I'm seeing I've decided to stop fielding interest at midnight tonight (roughly 7.5 hours from this posting). That will give anyone who has already "posted interest" or still intends to before tonight exactly 48 hours to finish their character applications.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:25 AM
For Sanguinius!

Tools
User Statistics
Hey Skryptik, thanks! So glad to have a bit of a breather before the next trimester of studies.

I can now happily declare my application ready to be assessed!

Salah bin Khalifa bin Wasl al'Qasar
right-aligned image

Name: Salah bin Khalifa bin Wasl al'Qasar
Alias: Darab Al'Aqarb "The Striking Scorpion"
Race: Human - Khinasi
Class: Fighter
Archetype: Battlemaster
Bloodline: Basaia
Background: Outlander

Personality: Salah is a scholarly man who is gifted in the ways of war. Often preferring the peaceful nature of academic pursuits, he is nonetheless a ferocious enemy when the situation calls upon it. He is honourable, fairly pious and highly values the traditional ways of Basarji life. He is respectful, educated and highly hospitable in all other aspects of his life, other than when he is at war. Though he is a sell-sword, he takes any contract seriously, and will serve any patron who commissions him with total, and utter loyalty.

Ideals: No single grain of sand in the desert is exactly the same, and alone it is but an insignificant thing. Yet together, they make mighty, unconquerable dunes that command the horizon. Such is the way of the desert, so too should it be the way of Cerilia. Disparate and fighting amongst ourselves, we will never be the best of ourselves. Perhaps, some day, my eyes might see a Cerilia that is united and whole once again, as it once was in days long past. Until then, I hone my mind and my body, to serve the righteous and true of heart.

Loyalty is the most important gift one may hold in their heart. Loyalty is the cornerstone of all civilisation.

Bond: There is something of a bond with Queen Benira El-Rashid, Monarch of Binsada. I am fiercely loyal to her, and though I have abandoned Binsada and it's Queen, and now serve another master, I long for the day where I might be needed to return. Until then, I serve my current Master/Mistress with almost as much loyalty as I had for the Queen. Almost.

Flaw: He is considered a traitor and a criminal in his homeland of Binsada, for supposedly assaulting the Queen. He can never return there, not unless the need is dire, and thus lives a life in exile. He is, by the official decree of the Queen, still a criminal at large, and this can often cause issues in his dealings with other Khinasi, particuarly those from Binsada. It is likely that some even still hunt for him.

Deity: Avani

Domain/Holding Allegiance: Formerly Binsada and its Queen, though now he probably serves some minor Lord, Lady or Regent somewhere in Cerilia. Whispers of a Khinasi warrior recently coming into the employ amongst the nobles of the Southern Coast has those still on the hunt for Darab Al'Aqarb in something of a stir.

History:
When it comes to tales of “Darab Al’Aqarb", the Striking Scorpion, it is often difficult to separate fact from fiction. A young boy hailing from the al’Qasar tribe of nomads from Binsada, Salah spent a child hood learning the old Basarji ways of horsemanship and war. By his earliest teenage years, he showed great promise as a warrior, and soon would be riding over the Binsada dunes to bring war to the Harrowmarsh and the Lands of the Sphinx with his brothers and sisters.

For several years, into early adulthood, Salah bin Khalifa bin Wasl al’Qasar spent almost his entire life in the saddle. The horrors that poured from the Harrowmarsh seemed endless, so too incursions from the kingdoms beyond the lands claimed by the Khinasi. Yet so too was there always the threat of raids from rival tribes and clans within Binsada itself. For the entirety of his teenage years, the boy who would become the Striking Scorpion would know only war.

This would culminate shortly after his 21st birthday, where a raid of the al’Qasar warriors penetrated deep into the Sodden Falls, hunting a group of bandits from the Hydra’s Guild who had been plaguing al’Qasar caravans for months. Deeper and deeper they roamed across the dry, cracked earth of the Sodden Falls, lands once a part of Binsada but long since abandoned. The hunt would be ill fated, resulting in the death of all but young Salah, but it would give birth to a legend that would change the boy’s path forever.

Ambushed and heavily outnumbered, their horses weary from such a long and arduous trek, the al’Qasar war party was exterminated. Tales of how the fight unfolded are sketchy at best, and often embellished when retold by those who were never there, but what is known that the only survivor amongst the al’Qasar was young Salah himself.

His horse killed in the fight, alone and on foot, Salah managed to escape the battle. He spent months on foot, making his way back towards the Binsada border, hunted and harangued all the way by the bandits of the Hyrda’s Guild. Salah himself never speaks of that journey, but the boy who had set out before it was not the same as the man who returned. It was clear that what had transpired on that long flight of his, had affected him deep within his core.
Eventually, he found his way back to his people, where, after a few weeks recovering from his wounds, he packed up his meagre possessions, took a horse, and set out into the Binsada dunes without any explanation.

This is where the legends and the truth become ever more blurred. For the next few years of his life, Salah rode the dunes as a lone warrior. No one knew how he lived, or where, but he would always appear whenever someone threatened Binsada with war. Like a vengeful demon he would ride from the dunes, descending upon the enemies of the Binsada with blades bared to bring death upon them. It mattered not which tribe fought, nor whether the Binsada of the tribes, or those from the city were the participants. Salah bin Khalifa bin Wasl al’Qasar would join the fight on their behalf.

Soldiers often speak of his ferocity and power, bringing an almost divine wrath upon those who would wish evil upon any and all the people of Binsada. Tales of felling entire armies with but a single gaze, or riding upon a horse of fire are prevalent, and it was not long before Salah became a revered figure amongst the Binsada Khinasi. Obviously exaggerated, the tales served to build him into a legend, and very soon the people bestowed upon him the name “Darab Al’Aqarb” which translates roughly into “The Striking Scorpion”.

Naturally, as his legend grew, he began attracting followers. Soldiers of many tribes who would, as he did in his early years, simply ride out into the dunes in search of him. Many died, never finding Salah, but those who did followed him everywhere. Salah had attracted a band of skilled, strong warriors who he denied at first, but then eventually accepted begrudgingly. He would name them the Brotherhood of the Sand, and they would ride the dunes for the next year or two as he had. A force that existed purely to protect Binsada from the evil aspirations of its enemies. They became heroes of near folk-lore status.

As a result of this hero status, the Queen herself, often prone to living the Bedouin life herself at times, had a desire to seek out Darab al’Aqarb and make him her general. So, as she was often want to do, she set out into the dunes and established her Red Tent, hoping to signal her intent to Salah. When he did not come willingly, however, one night she would set out into the dunes alone, on horseback, to find him herself.

Find him she did, in a small oasis, beneath a palm where he read great scrolls of ancient wisdoms under the light of the moon. All the legends of Salah had never included that he was an academic, as skilled in the arts and sciences as he was the art of war. Nonetheless, when he was not soldiering, he preferred the past time of a scholar. This only steeled her will to have him as a General, and so she requested that he return to the capital, to become her general. It was a good move, one that would strengthen her tenuous position over the zealous oligarchs who were a pit of vipers ready to strike her the moment she appeared weak enough to finish. It would also galvanise support for her amongst the nomadic peoples of Binsada. She’d have been a fool not to try.

To her shock, however, Salah shook his head and looked towards her sadly and says, “Would that you had never asked me this question. Better still, that you had never found me. My Queen, I ride the dunes to serve Avani, and my heart wishes that had been enough for you. I cannot agree to your request, I am not one to lord over others and lead armies. I am a force of Basaia, sweeping the dunes of anything that does not belong. Yet neither can I refuse, for I know your position is not strong. If I am to refuse, all of Binsada will see it as a slight, that I do not support you. Your enemies will seize the opportunity to strike you down. So, I must be banished a criminal, for some great crime of our imaginings, so that your position be spared.”

Thus, the Striking Scorpion of Binsada rose and struck the Queen across the face, tears in his eyes. As she reeled from the blow, more from shock than anything, he wept and fell to his knees.

“Forgive me, my Queen. Now you can return to the Red Tent and declare that I have assaulted you, and it will be no lie. Tell them that I struck the Queen, and have fled off into the sands a traitor. Tell your men to hunt me, but be wary of the Brotherhood of Sands. They will not believe I have done this, and shall resist, but that cannot be helped. I shall leave Binsada, and will not return, so that your reign will be secure.”

He rises to his feet and turns, heading to his horse. As he mounts, he turns back to the Queen once more, hesitating before he departs.

“My Queen. I pledge this one condition upon my exile. If ever Binsada’s need be dire, when all the vipers bare their fangs, then I shall return. I go now, because it is the only way I can serve you without doing more harm than good. But know that I am ever your loyal servant, and in your darkest hour, I will not abandon you.”

And with that, he rode off and has not been seen in Binsada since.

Little is known of where Salah went, or what happened to him, but stories of a Khinasi warrior of great skill selling his sword to various Lords and Ladies of Cerilia often stir interest amongst the Khinasi of Binsada, in particular those who seek him as followers, and those who hunt him in an effort to bring him to ‘justice’ for his supposed crimes. More often than not these tales lead to some other unfortunate Khinasi, but it is likely that Salah bin Khalifa bin Wasl al’Qasar, Darab Al’Aqarb of the Binsada sands, is out there somewhere, serving some lord or lady and always keeping an ear to the East Wind, for news of his homeland and it’s Queen.

Regency Choice:
(1) Mhistecai - The idea of a Lady who is being prevented from her rightful dues by an external power is just the kind of struggle that would attract Salah's service. He might even have come into her service for free, such is her struggles. He might be the force that just tips fate enough in her favour to truly aspire towards breaking free of the shackles of vassalage.
(2) Eastern Temple of Nesirie - Whilst not necessarily sharing her faith, Salah would certainly admire the work of the High Priestess. His sword could do good work, in the service of the High Priestess, of this he would be certain. Not to mention her network would potentially be a good way for him to keep abreast of the situation back home.
(3) The Port of Call Exhange- Perhaps less likely, but nonetheless an attractive prospect for Salah's service. The fleets would keep him well informed of his homeland, certainly, and there is the added benefit of remaining in the service of another Khinasi, rather than some other tribe. Piracy, trade and greed, however, are not appealing to Salah in the slightest, though could provide a very nice backdrop for him to struggle against.

Last edited by Arkaon; 06-08-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:57 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 275
Aoem Aoem Aoem
Berem Ersun
Race: Gnome
Subrace: Rock Gnome
Class: Druid
Background:Hermit

Weight: 38 lbs.

Ideal: Freedom. Everyone should be free to pursue his or her own livelihood. (Chaotic)
Treasured Item: An old divination card, bearing my likeness
Guiding Aspect: The birds in the sky are evidence that even the smallest creatures can survive if they remain above the fray.
Bond: standing tall for all small persons interests.