User Statistics
RPXP: 836
Starspawn Starspawn Starspawn Starspawn Starspawn Starspawn Starspawn
Innistrad: Legacy of Avacyn

Application Deadline is the 13th of July

Not All Hope is Lost

left-aligned image

Dark Ascension
The silver moon of Innistrad stood in the sky as a witness of every street corner, outland road, and distant mountaintop. Beneath its gaze, a small horse-drawn carriage meandered on a dirt-beaten path to some nameless village at the mouth of an accursed river. It radiated the sweet scent of fresh produce, ripe and ready to be bought and sold. At the helm of the carriage were two men, both clad in silver-lined cloaks and leather jerkins. The one sitting at the passenger's seat had one hand at the hilt of his long silver blade, and another hand clasped at his symbol of Avacyn, which swung from his neck with the weight and tightness of a dead man's noose. The one at the driver's seat also kept his hand upon his own protective charm, this one adorned with a single chipped sapphire, with the other hand firmly clutching the reins. Their expressions were solemn and wary. Every which way their gazes wandered, there was not a sound or sight of any mortal soul. No distant fires of man flickered in the horizon, and all the trees that had once been lush, green, and covered in thistles were now craggy and dead, with seldom a leaf to be seen. As the wind whistled through the deadwood branches, a cold and bitter chill swam beside it, creeping past the carriage and enveloping it in its disquieting embrace. The man at the passenger's side sneezed, his nose sweltering and red. While the sneezing man had been coughing and sniffling throughout the entire trip, the driver still looked disconcerted. He could feel the presence of unsavory forces on the prowl, his sense of danger honed by years of traveling these forsaken ill-roads. Underneath his breath, he muttered a solemn prayer when the sneezing man suddenly jerked up, shouting a warning and pointing vigilantly towards the deadwood.

A shrilling howl was heard echoing across the decaying forest, and the fear it invoked within the carriage driver was nearly enough to send him into a frightful fleeing frenzy. The shadowed figures of gigantic warlike wolfmen emerged from the canopies with a ferocious rhythmic charge, their howls reaching a bloody crescendo. Just as quickly as he had seen them, the man at the passenger's side had drawn his blade and raised his amulet, which was now glowing, bathed in blessed rays of moonlight that touched it. As the wolfmen leaped to strike at the carriage, they were one by one struck by a shimmering barrier and pushed back onto the cold ground, shrieking with pain. The carriage came to a stop as the wolfmen scattered to regroup and launch another attack, but before they could, the man at the passenger's seat who had once looked so weak with sniffles and coughs leaped out of the caravan and proclaimed himself a CATHAR, SERVANT OF AVACYN IN HER FIGHT AGAINST THE ETERNAL DARKNESS. And with that proclamation, he evoked a gargantuan luminous bond of what looked to be almost solid light that held two of the wolfmen in place, while simultaneously piercing an attacking wolfman in the heart with his silvered blade, watching him whither as the silver worked its magical charms and extinguished the fires of life from the beast's dark heart.

The band of werewolves looked defeated. Some scattered off, while others made a desperate charge. Surely he could not repel all four attackers? The carriage driver was hiding behind his caravan, but beholding the glory and might of this Avacynian warrior, standing as a stalwart protector of everything the man had held to be true and righteous. A welcome sight of zeal and purity in a world so overtaken by darkness. The Cathar held out his amulet once again, and a shimmering barrier of pure angelic light began to shield him. However, his face turned sour and pale as ice when he suddenly felt a sharp, panging pain in his heart, and felt the light of Avacyn flicker away in the wind as his luminous bonds and protective barrier suddenly vanished, disintegrating almost as quickly as they had been conjured. The man opened his mouth to shout for Avacyn's aid, but before he could, he felt the sharpness of the attacking wolfmen's claws digging through his leather jerkins and deep into his skin, tearing muscle and flesh as they came over him, bringing him to the floor and ravaging his body with tooth and claw. The two who had been restrained were released by the disappearance of the light, and made haste to the carriage driver, who was by then petrified with fear, unable to move, with a million dreadful thoughts racing through his head. What had happened? He wondered, fearful not only for his impending death, but for the very idea that Avacyn's blessings had failed him. Did... did darkness prevail? Is Innistrad once again consigned to evil? That was the last thought that crossed his mind before beholding the visage of the terrifying beast that snapped its vicious maw at him, the last thing he saw before everything turned to dark.

left-aligned image

Welcome to Innistrad
Welcome to Innistrad: Avacyn's Legacy. A Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition Campaign set in the dark and foreboding plane of Innistrad, where werewolves hunt under the moonlight, vampires fester on mortal lifeblood, necromancers rouse the dead from their slumber, and vengeful spirits reside within the shadow-ridden halls of old abandoned homesteads. For thousands of years, Innistrad has been a place of strife and folly. Humans have lived here under terror, reigned over and cruelly suppressed by dark powers who held this plane to be their dominion until the arrival of Avacyn, the great Angel and her host of White-aligned warriors. Since the arrival of the angels, balance between the forces of Light and Dark was achieved, and under her guidance, a prominent church was founded to fight for her righteous cause, banishing the monsters that had once savaged their population so long ago. Now, however, Avacyn disappears, and so do her blessings. Many of those who had the strength of her radiant light now struggle to draw upon the simplest of protective enchantments, and those who seldom thought of her believe her to have never even existed at all. Just as quickly as balance was achieved, it was cast down to make way for the comeback of darkness, which has now ascended once more to oppress humanity and force them into isolation. While the cities remain relatively safe, the roads and outlands between them have become perilous quagmires filled with corruption and dark servants at every step. Now all the church can do is muster up its will and strength to desperately hold back the advance of darkness, praying and hoping that one day Avacyn will return.

You are a native of Innistrad. You are no glorious Planeswalker or god-blessed champion of righteousness. You are a member of the Church, a simple man or woman with a burning hatred for the servants of darkness that inhabit these unhallowed lands. Perhaps you have tasted the death of a loved one, or witnessed the destruction of your home at the hands of the servants of Dark. Perhaps you are a scholar in search of an answer to the perpetual state of decay that Innistrad faces, or a faithful of Avacyn who wishes to witness her return. Regardless of your origin, you have more than once proven your mettle as a capable faithful of Avacyn and a true warrior for the forces of the light.

Plot Expectations: Hoping to run through the storyline from Dark Ascension up to Shadows Over Innistrad with characters starting play as inhabitants of the High City of Thraben and members of the Church of Avacyn. Do not shy away from applying if you are already familiar with the story. Even though many of the important canonical beats will be touched upon, the story is still malleable in accordance to how characters influence its events.

Player Requirements: Four Players are required for this campaign, and are expected to have good short-term activity (frequent and semi-frequent short responses to non-critical scenes) and good long-term activity (at least one thoughtful post per week for critical scenes). Good role-playing, ingenuity, and teamwork will be rewarded with bonus experience.

Source Material: We'll ONLY be drawing from the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual, and Plane Shift: Innistrad.

Character Creation: Characters begin at Level 3 with one free Feat of their choice, with ability scores being calculated via Standard Array.
  • Races: Limited to Plane Shift: Innistrad races, with the slight modification being that all Humans begin play speaking Common, but only those native to Gavony are granted an additional free language of their choice.
  • Classes: All Classes from the Player's Handbook are accepted.
  • Backgrounds: All Backgrounds from accepted source material, including the Inquisitor background detailed in Plane Shift: Innistrad are accepted.

left-aligned image

Application Process
In order to apply for a slot in the game, you must submit a suitable application with easy-on-the-eyes formatting (no huge blocks of text please, break up your paragraphs into digestible chunks) and a clear, concise vision of what your character is supposed to be. I'm looking for somewhere between two and four paragraphs of cohesive backstory, not too in-depth (leave some for storytelling) but not too shallow (avoid cliches and unexplained throwaway lines). I'd also like to know where you plan to take the character mechanically (which class and subclass did you choose, which background did you take and how are you tying it into your backstory...etc). And I'd like to know a little bit about you as a player in terms of your familiarity with role-playing, and with the Magic: the Gathering game and story. Don't worry about being unfamiliar with Magic: the Gathering, it's absolutely not a necessity for joining this game.

Applicant Dossier:

Applicant Character Name Race Class Background Progress
HughTheHand Josua Busk Human (Stensia) Paladin/Bard Folk Hero Complete
tomplum Grigore Dragan Human (Stensia) Cleric/Fighter Inquisitor Complete
Begon Ugo Stevak Krivan Human (Kessig) Barbarian Folk Hero Complete
MontageManiac Nicholas Lancaster-Galan Human (Nephalian) Wizard Noble Complete

Last edited by Starspawn; 06-13-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:53 PM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7693
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Posting interest. I’ll need to read through the materials to see how to incorporate. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2019, 09:47 PM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7693
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Sorry for the double post. Question about the state of the Church during gameplay. Are they still going through inquisitions where the church sees just authority to attack and purge human settlements? Or is that a minority of extremists? Just wondering how my concept might position themselves within that.

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2019, 10:59 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1588
Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099
Hi Starspawn,
If I wasn’t already maxed out with games, I would have certainly applied for this, especially as Innistrad is my favorite setting within MTG!
Alas, I’m overbooked as it is - it would not be fair for anyone for me to attempt this.
But I wish you luck with the game, and maybe one day if you need replacements I might be available to try!
Old 06-13-2019, 12:11 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 281
Perdition Perdition Perdition
Hester the Grey
left-aligned image

Name: Hester the Grey

Class: Wizard - Level 3/Archmage - Spearsage

Race: Human, Provincial Origin: Nephalia

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Background: Outlander

Backstory: Hester was born in a small woodland village, and likely would have remained and died there ere long had the cultists not taken root. Over a course of years, prominent citizens suffered a series of unfortunate "accidents," moved abruptly or were replaced by cult members seeking to establish a foothold for worshiping Fiendish powers in an out of the way hamlet. Unfortunately for everyone involved, Hester began to manifest magical powers and caught the notice of the cult's leadership. Whether her instruction meant she would one day become a Witch of the cult or a host for a Demon, she was never quite certain after. The Church officials arrived, and in the ensuing bloodbath Hester escaped to the fens and forests in a paniced state.

As a half-taught, half demon-touched mage on her own she most likely would have perished; but Hester had hidden depths. Having taken to the wilds, she taught herself woodcraft, how to fish and hunt and hide; even consorting with spirits- both fey and ..otherwise to garner more arcane knowledge.

Eventually, out of necessity and loneliness she made her way back to civilization where she almost immediately caught the attention of the Church. Had the inquisitors had their way she would have ended her life in a pitch-soaked pyre. However, Hester was spared by the intercession of a Moonsage, named Griselda the Grey. Tutored by her, Hester grew in her power and devotion to the Church. Unabashed by her upbringing and complicated route to the Churches right hand, Hester stands ready to rout the forces of evil and darkness, in all of her many forms. Who better to hunt monsters than one touched by them?

Character Plan: I created a pleasantly deranged magic user for a campaign that I had a lot of fun playing. Regrettably, the campaign ended before its time but I enjoy the character. The "crazy" PC is mostly annoying to others, but I found a niche here that works. The class is Wizard because it is more versatile, the sub-type is Necromancy because it fits the character and campaign. I've enjoyed the Outlander background in previous games because it is so useful. At some point we will be in the wilderness. Prospectively, the plan is to create a PC with a foot in two or even three worlds- White, Green and Black Mana per M:tG meanings. I have played RPGs for years as both Player and DM/GM. I no longer play M:tG, but used to years ago. I understand the nomenclature, if not the latest story lines.

Last edited by Perdition; 06-25-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:26 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 889
Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod
@DM-

do you allow multi class?

Is there an approximate level this campaign finish at?

Assuming equipment will be based on background and class specifications only?
Old 06-13-2019, 01:28 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3818
HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand
Character Application
right-aligned image

Name: Josua Busk
Race: Human (Stensia)
Class: Paladin 2 / Bard 1 (Springsage)
Alignment: NG

Backstory: In Stensia, going out after nightfall is called "baring one's neck to the moon." That is to say, one does not go out after dark, for to do so is to court the vampire's call. Perhaps in more learned societies, one could forgive a child like Josua. He was just a child. Children make mistakes. But in a small village in Stensia, a mistake can cost you your soul.

Once Josua was a young boy, his tunic hanging down to his knees, his long brown hair sprouting from under his leather cap. Once, Josua was looking out the window at the stars lit bright on a moonless night. He could have sworn that the figure in the street had not been there a moment before, but there she was, beautiful, radiant, as if she herself was the moon. Her eyes bore into his, and as he beckoned to him, and the young boy felt himself drawn out the door, into the street. Suddenly he was before her, in the cold night, and her eyes smiled like her fangs. But his mother and father were there suddenly, screaming, pleading to take them instead of their child. The vampires laughed and decided to grant the their wishes. The father they drained, the mother they took with them, and Josua was left alone, crouching on the ground, tears streaming down his face as the villagers stared out their windows at the crying child.

Several weeks later, a traveler came through the town. Her garb was humble, but by her good works and healing magic the villagers knew her for a Springsage. She took interest in the disheveled, hungry child that begged for bread and lived in alone in a large hut. He got his parents killed, the young fool, the sooner they come for his neck the better, gossiped the villagers. The springsage, standing in the sunlight, beckoned to the young boy, and once again he approached. "Is it true what they say, that you lost your parents to the fang?". Josua, his chin stuck against his chest, nodded awkwardly and rubbed a ragged sleeve across his nose. "My name is Vindeca, I am a Springsage, do you know what that is? I travel from town to town, to heal the wounds caused by the creatures of the night. I could use a strong young lad such as you to help me with my works, but the road is hard and the way dangerous, I cannot guarantee your safety. Come you with me?" Josua stared at her outstretched hand, then timidly reached out and took it, and she took him from his village as her apprentice...

...Many years later, now as a Cathar of the Avacynian church, Josua walked into a small Stensian village not unlike the one he grew up in. The village was beset by a lone vampire, a castoff from his clan who had decided to farm this village for his blood. They had beseeched the church for a contingent of soldiers, yet the church only deigned them worthy of a single soldier of the light, and at that only at Josua's own behest. He knew the fear that even a single vampire could instill in a village, the terrifying grip on the hearts of its people. When the town heard that no more soldiers were coming, they lamented, they wailed that they were all lost, all would be fodder for the vampire's bloodlust. Josua could see the fear in their eyes. It was like ice water, every nerve shocking the body and screaming at the mind to flee. But Josua knew, if you could just see past the fear, just let it wash over you, you could withstand the cold. "You people!" he shouted, "what would you do, wait until the fiend has dragged your children out into the night? Wait until all your loved ones have been turned or drained? No army is coming, that is true, but no army knows the pain you feel, no holy empath can feel the depth of your wounds, and no inquisitor could match the rage, the desire for vengeance that wells up inside you. This is your fight. Would you kneel down in the dust, bare your necks, and wait your turn for death to come for you? Or would you stand strong, rise up together, and kill the beast that has stolen your kin!?" Josua exhorted.

Some turned their heads, to frightened to even consider his words, but others raised their gaze and met his. Over the next few days, Josua prepared the villagers. Together they carved stakes and long spears of living wood. In the small chapel, Josua led them in prayer to Avacyn, sifted crushed silver into a basin of water, and rendered the water holy. The villagers took great care to stay in doors, burning candles each night and taking vigils. The vampire must have been taken aback by the sudden change in the town, for it stayed away for a few days. But hunger always wins out. On a night with a full moon, a young woman stood out in a field next to an old watermill, trembling. In her mind she was rueing her decision. "You are sure you want to do this? You would risk your neck to draw the fiend out?" Josua had cautioned. She remembered how she had nodded, her thirst for vengeance quelling any fear she might have had. But that was when she was surrounded by her fellow villagers. Here alone, with nothing but the cool air, the bright full moon, the long shadows, and the gurgling of the stream behind her, her knees felt weak. But she remembered that she was not alone, and she repeated this in her mind as she saw the figure glide down, his boots barely bending the grass. She saw it approach her, shining eyes, like cat eyes, drawing her in. She trembled, fell to her knees. The vampire approached, smiling, and stood over her. With a chuckle, it reached down, grabbed her hair, bent her neck back, and as its fangs approached, the young woman smashed the vial of Josua's holy water against the vampire's face. He shrieked an unearthly cry and staggered backwards, turning to find a semicircle of villagers bearing spears, with Josua at the center holding a torch.

"NOW!" he screamed. The woman dove into the small river and swam to the other side, her paddling breaking the reflection of the full moon that shone bright upon the rushing water. The vampire snarled and grabbed one of the villager's spears. The boy was flung to the ground as the vampire hurled the spear to the side, with one hand pulling the boy up, claws drawing blood red streaks across his chest, and bared his fangs by the boy's neck, threatening the villagers with his death. But the boy, despite his pain, reached down to his boot and pulled out a steak, driving it down into the vampire's leg. The vampire screeched and shoved the boy away. Josua let out a cry, which was swiftly echoed by all the villagers as they rushed in together, spears stabbing in over and over again as the beast tried to escape backwards but found itself trapped by the moonlit water. The villagers stabbed the creature with their wooden spears again and again and again, reclaiming the blood stolen from them. They had done it, they had killed the vampire. That night, there was much rejoicing, and for the first time in many days music rang out from the town hall. Amidst the song and wine and praises, Josua gazed into the fire. For a moment, he could see them, those eyes that long ago, in his own small village, had beckoned him into the night....

Mechanics Adapting some of the PHB background info to fit the campaign.

Background: Folk Hero
I trained the peasantry to use farm implements and simple tools as weapons against vampires and other creatures of the night.
Personality Trait: I’m confident in my own abilities and do what I can to instill confidence in others.
Ideal: The creatures of the night must not be allowed to oppress the people.
Bond: My tools are symbols of my past life, and I carry them so that I will never forget my roots.
Flaw: The people who knew me when I was young know my shameful secret, so I can never go home again. Secretly, I believe that things (for me) might be better if I were a vampire lording over the land.

Class Progression: Alternating Bard and Paladin levels.
Character Progression: Josua would work for the benefit of the people over the church. An inherent enmity towards vampires, which could also be construed as being drawn to them.
Character Sheet: Josua's Character Sheet
Roleplaying/MGT Background: Just finished up a pretty silly tabletop campaign of Dragon Heist, currently playing in a sporadic Demonplague campaign with some friends. Was very active in PBP a few years ago (here is a post of the month from back then), just getting back into it now. Have played MGT, but am not familiar with the storyline.

Last edited by HughtheHand; 07-03-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:48 AM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3438
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
Dear Lord, MTG in my D&D? Yes, please.
Posting a lot of interest, will start working on a character now!

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 06-13-2019 at 02:48 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:41 AM
Peacekeeper

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontageManiac View Post
Sorry for the double post. Question about the state of the Church during gameplay. Are they still going through inquisitions where the church sees just authority to attack and purge human settlements? Or is that a minority of extremists? Just wondering how my concept might position themselves within that.

Thanks!
Thank you for your interest! Currently, the Church's official stance is that Avacyn has not forsaken the church, and any claim otherwise is bordering on heresy. The Inquisition has not quite gotten so far as to perform pogrom of any particular people, but there are a few bad seeds within the church who misuse their position. As of the Dark Ascension plot line, the Church is the last hope that humanity has against the darkness, and they have still maintained themselves as followers of Avacyn's code. This may change in the future in the case of a shift in leadership, as the current head of the Church, Lunarch Mikaeus is still alive and well, and is one of the only witnesses of Avacyn's disappearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange2099 View Post
Hi Starspawn,
If I wasn’t already maxed out with games, I would have certainly applied for this, especially as Innistrad is my favorite setting within MTG!
Alas, I’m overbooked as it is - it would not be fair for anyone for me to attempt this.
But I wish you luck with the game, and maybe one day if you need replacements I might be available to try!
Thank you for your kind words. Perhaps we'll play together in a different campaign once you've found yourself to be more at liberty to play in the future. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdition View Post
Placeholder while I work up an idea for a PC.

What would be the starting equipment/gp like?
Starting Equipment will depend largely on your class, background, and position in the Cathar church, as well as 250 starting gold to symbolize your savings during your time serving the church. (It's not a lot, but it's Innistrad money.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrod View Post
@DM-

do you allow multi class?

Is there an approximate level this campaign finish at?

Assuming equipment will be based on background and class specifications only?
I do allow Multi-classing, within reason. If I see people dipping into Warlock simply for their short rest spell regeneration, I'll be much less inclined to allow them into the game. Also, multi-classing should be limited to only two classes, and must have some sort of story-driven explanation.

By the time we complete the Dark Ascension storyline, players ought to be Level 8 at least. If we decide to push through that into Avacyn Restored and Shadows Over Innistrad, then we'll most likely be looking at a 16th or 17th level campaign finish, but that's not a sure thing.

I've answered this previously.

@HughTheHand

Great start, but I'd be really interested in seeing you fill out that blank space between the end of the backstory and everything else. It seems that the ending was a bit rushed. How did they slay the vampire? Did anything go wrong along the way? There's plenty of chance to elaborate further on the character's shortcomings or heroism during his attempt to slay the Vampire. Otherwise, it's quite good, but I'm a little confused by his level in Bard, what exactly does that stand for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Faindel View Post
Dear Lord, MTG in my D&D? Yes, please.
Posting a lot of interest, will start working on a character now!
Very happy to see interest and excitement! Looking forward to your application!
Old 06-13-2019, 09:05 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7409
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Grigore Dragan

Race: Human (Stensia)

Class: Cleric 2 / Fighter 1

Background: Inquisitor

Personality Trait 1: I feel the sin being purged from me as I help cleanse the world.

Personality Trait 2: I am incredibly slow to trust. Those who seem the fairest often have the most to hide.

Ideal: It is better for the innocent to suffer than for the guilty to escape their due. I am attempting to atone for this ideal.

Ideal 2: There's no good in pretending to be something I'm not. I have done horrible things. I own my mistakes.

Bond: One day, I will claim vengeance against the monster that took my family from me.

Flaw 1: I have come to believe that I executed an innocent person.

Flaw 2: I’ll do whatever grim task must be done, for my soul is already lost.

Appearance: Tall and pale with long black hair that, moist with the evening fog, Grigore's image mirrors that of his soul, tainted and devoid of joy or compassion. As ghastly as his appearance may be, it is the man's eyes that draw any in. They say the eyes are the window to the soul and if that if the case then Grigore's conscience is a void of blackness torn out by the horrors of life in Innistrad. He is the physical manifestation of misery, guilt, sorrow, and anguish.

Backstory: Grigore had once served as an Inquisitor until he came across a small township he was investigating for suspicious deaths. There he met Marta. Her beauty immediately struck the young Grigore and he was helpless to resist the temptation she represented. He abandoned his scrutinization of the village and decided to begin a life with Marta. He even sent false reports back to the church of his progress. Needless to say, the deaths continued but Grigore did little to end the killings, so infatuated with his love he was.

When the townsfolk began to demand action from the Inquisitor who had been sent to their village to assist them, Grigore began a half-hearted examination of the hamlet's residents. With insight from his beloved, he settled on a family who he deemed to be vampires and decided to burn them in the town square. The entire village came out to watch the grisly death sentence. With the matter settled, Grigore should have returned to the church but he instead stayed to be with Marta...and the killings continued.

A new family was branded vampires and burned at the stake, then a third until the villagers finally turned on Grigore. It was then that Marta revealed her true nature. Before a horrified mob of angry peasants, she drank of Grigore who was taken completely by surprise, so lost in her glammer as he was.

Grigore was left half-dead by the vampire and the villagers grudgingly nursed him back to health before banishing him from their village. He was kicked out of the church for his abysmal failure and given the moniker, The Butcher of Resita. In the years since his excommunication, Grigore has roamed Innistrad as a monster-hunter for hire perpetually running from his past and trying to erase the shame of it from his soul.

Mechanical Progression: 1st-Level Fighter, then 2 levels of cleric in the Light Domain, then leveling fighter class to third for Eldritch Knight archetype to put Grigore at Cleric 2 / Fighter 3. From there it would depend on group composition and if targeting spell slots or extra attack would be preferable.

Additional Info: I've been on rpgcrossing since 2016 and participate in about ten games, DM four myself plus run NPSG's.

I know little of the Magic story line but I did play the card game when it first came out way back when.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:26 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3818
HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand
@Starspawn: Sounds good, I'll expand the backstory.

As for the one level of bard, I already was thinking it would be fun to play a folk hero bard/paladin. Then when your post came up, I was looking into the Plane Shift Innistrad book, this line jumped out:
Quote:
Bards are also rare on Innistrad. A springsage— an Avacynian archmage dedicated to healing and renewal—could conceivably be a bard.
Then later
Quote:
Springsages, the archmages of Herons, are healers who use their magic to aid individuals, whole villages, and even the land itself. They act much like wandering priests or monks, traveling the remote reaches to minister to the people and heal the sick.
Once I read this, I immediately knew that this was the feel I was looking for. So I immediately thought that my character had been trained by one of these wandering priests. She would have been like a mentor character, who would have trained him in healing and had him help her like a squire until he was old enough to join the Cathar's and train as a paladin. That's where the idea for the character having come from a small village where he lost his family, and his later life being dedicated to helping such villages fight against monsters came together.

Let me know if you have any more suggestions, happy to adapt the background or class to better fit the story.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:40 AM
Peacekeeper

Tools
User Statistics
@HughTheBard

That sounds good to me. Keep at it, I'm looking forward to seeing the backstory when it's more fleshed out.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:41 AM
Blaaargh!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8211
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Stevak Krivan

Race: Human (Kessig)

Class: Barbarian 3

Background: Folk Hero

Personality Trait 1: I judge people by their actions, not their words.

Personality Trait 2: I place no stock in wealthy or well-mannered folk. Money and manners won't save you from a hungry ghoul.

Ideal: I'm loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care.

Ideal 2: We have to take care of each other, because no one else is going to do it.

Bond: I suffer awful visions of a coming disaster and will do anything to prevent it.

Flaw:I harbor dark bloodthirsty thoughts that my isolation failed to quell.

Appearance: Piercing angry eyes surrounded by faded self-inflicted needle tattoos... this is the weathered face of Stevak Krivan. Stevak, while not physically imposing, carries himself with a heavy sense of gravitas. Covered in the filth of the untamed wilderness, his body bears the scars of numerous encounters. As his youth has faded, the morning hours have become harder... the bones a bit heavier... the knees... stiff. Yet, Stevak's eye's still sparkle in the presence of children... the only truly innocent beings left in this forsaken land

Backstory: Stevak lived a humble life... he hunted... provided fresh meat for the village... farmed a bit too. He survived. His wife died... sickness... his boys became men. Stevak Krivan lived a good life. His sons had sons of their own... they loved their Papa. And then the day came... the boys, thats what they were called 'the boys,' were playing as children would do... in the fields, skirting the edge of the forest.

Stevak had warned them... quite sternly to be true, about the dangers lurking beyond the tree-line. His warnings were a premonition that came horribly true. The werewolves revealed themselves with their blood curling howls moments before they struck. The boys were easy prey... fodder for the vicious beasts. Stevak wasn't there... not in time to make any difference. By the time the simple man reached the scene of the slaughter all he found was the blood blanketing the blades of grass and smeared along the dirt as the loves of his life were dragged to their doom.

It would be safe to say that the old Stevak died that day... the Stevak Krivan that had simply existed amidst the chaos of the world. Stevak looked now to the forest and only saw his grandson's mournful eyes staring out from the deep shadows. The eyes spoke the bitter truth... Stevak... Papa... had not protected what was his. Stevak knew he could never atone for his negligence... even if his sons said he was not to blame. It did not matter. Stevak knew that he was.

Stevak, equipping himself as best he could, entered the foreboding woods... intent on soon joining his nephews. Years have now passed and Stevak still stalks through the untamed wilderness, a vengeful spirit driven to protect what is his... humanity.

Mechanical Progression:Edit: I was planning on taking Ranger but after doing some reading on how underpowered they are I would like to switch to barbarian. I plan on playing Stevak as Barbarian in soul... not in nationality or ethnicity. The rage is quite literally the overwhelming anger and guilt that he holds bottled deep inside. The long term plan is to go Ancestral Guardian: I think the visual of Stevak's grandkid's spirits materializing as he enters his rages... protecting his companions... as he failed to do years ago.

Additional Info: I have been on site for over a year and now DM 3 games, 2 have been playing for over a year. I play in 7 games. I have zero knowledge of MTG but at the moment I am trying to get my three sons weaned from Pokemon and onto Magic.

Last edited by Begon Ugo; 06-13-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:51 PM
Blaaargh!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8211
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Hello! I did a quick edit:

I was planning on taking Ranger but after doing some reading on how underpowered they are I would like to switch to barbarian. I plan on playing Stevak as Barbarian in soul... not in nationality or ethnicity. The rage is quite literally the overwhelming anger and guilt that he holds bottled deep inside.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:08 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 168
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
Are vampires available as a Race? They are in the Innistrad book, but it seems like it would be hard to swing one given your set up so far? Especially if they actually wanted to use their blood drain power.