... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old 06-16-2019, 03:18 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1449
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
Nice game background!

Are you alright with Psionics? Looking at something more like a Soulknife than a Psion.
I don’t do too much splashing in the 3pp pool, I do remember the Soulknige from 3.5 and this one seems more manageable. I am worried about introducing a new “magic type”, as Psionics typically react differently to certain spells.
Have you considered Mindblade, or Gloomblade? Both make decent combatants without adding psionics. Just beware of Spellblade its a trap.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:30 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1188
Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjoegangles View Post
I don’t do too much splashing in the 3pp pool, I do remember the Soulknige from 3.5 and this one seems more manageable. I am worried about introducing a new “magic type”, as Psionics typically react differently to certain spells.
Have you considered Mindblade, or Gloomblade? Both make decent combatants without adding psionics. Just beware of Spellblade its a trap.
I'll just plug Mindblade as being super fun. I had a long running Mindblade in PFS. Just note that psychic casting is... inconvenient sometimes, so plan to invest heavily in +Concentration bonus items as you get the cash for them.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
I suggest reach weapons via enlarge.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:15 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7378
Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll avoid the Mindblade then and take a look at the Gloomblade. The Mindblade would be viable but I'm just coming back from a break and not feeling very casterish.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:19 PM
DAGRON

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5846
Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A
Naranbataar'ganzorig'batu'altan
left-aligned image

Name: Naranbataar'ganzorig'batu'altan (Bataar)
Race: Hobgoblin
Class: Cavalier (Fell Rider)
Alignment: LG
Country of Origin: Vyold

Personality: Bataar is dour and serious for the most part, rarely so much as cracking a smile. The guiding principle in his life is duty, to his clan and to his family. Although some would call him passionless, his love for his people burns brightly within him. Public displays of emotion are simply not his way, the most notable exception being anger on the battlefield. A powerful display of wrath can inspire great fear, which is a weapon Bataar wields as often as his trusty lance.

Background:

Living among the 9 Clans of Vyold there is a lesser-known and somewhat mysterious people- the red-skinned Unkalaa hobgoblins. Some scholars refer to them as “the 10th clan”, but the Unkalaa reject this title, as it implies an equality that they have never experienced. The Unkalaa have no land to call their own, no impact on the choosing of the Jarl, no influence whatsoever on the politics of Vyold, let alone the Imperium at large. They live as nomads, moving constantly through the lands of the other clans, who view them as a tolerable nuisance at best, and at worst vermin to be exterminated. It is a hard life, and the Unkalaa are a hard people. With no farms to grow food, they subsist almost entirely on meat from their livestock and hunting game.

Naranbataar'ganzorig'batu'altan (Bataar for short) is an Unkalaa warrior, and has spent his life defending his people against those who would do them harm. He is one of the Unkalaa Fell Riders, mounted warriors said to be unmatched as horseman throughout all the Imperium. In addition to being a fearsome soldier, Batarr is a devoted husband and father. His first child, a girls Narantsetseg’enkhtuya (Tuya for short), was born just two years ago, and since that blessed day, he has been thinking a great deal about his clan’s place in the world and the future they were building for the next generation. Their life was difficult and demanding, with tomorrow never guaranteed; every joy seemed to be fleeting, with the knowledge that tomorrow would bring only more trials. He decided he wanted more for his daughter, although he didn’t know what he could do. They were a small clan, and not much respected by the 9. They could never win holdings through war, and they had no influence in politics.

He remained at a loss until word came to the Unkalaa that Princess Marlene was seeking agents from all corners of the Imperium, along with promises of rich rewards. Although it was difficult for him to leave his family behind, he knew he must, for the future of his people. If he can gain the trust and support of the new Emperor, he will also gain hope for the Unkalaa. He has agreed to serve the Princess and her brother, his only condition being that when Clovis takes the throne, a portion of land will be granted to the Unkalaa clan, and the 9 Clans of Vyold will truly become 10.

Hook: Seeking a better life and security for his people.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:39 PM
Daytime Denizen

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 588
Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky
Name: Lukhyan Filorenkov
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Warpriest
Alignment: Neutral Good
Country of Origin: Valadmire

Personality: Lukyan is a dedicated man, committed at heart to a single purpose. Though he can get sidetracked, he will abandon a task if he realizes that it does not serve his ultimate goals. He is ideological and holds fanatically to his own beliefs, but will keep his mouth shut when it serves his goals. Despite his interior fanaticism, he does his best to be personable and to listen, having learned that it is easier to speak a wise word at a later time than it is to withdraw a scathing remark spoken in haste. His kindness towards people is born of a mixture of genuine empathy and a wily, manipulative modus operandi to achieve the ends of freedom and victory for his people.

Background: Lukhyan was born into a group of rebels dedicated to the Lost God and the promotion of the Church as the state religion of Valadmire. His parents are a human man and a elf woman, both converts. Both are still alive, and still faithful. He was raised by his parents to be a horse breeder, but left the inheritance of the family business to his younger brother Androv to serve the church of the Lost God and his people's cause as a War Priest. He spent his late teenage and early adulthood years training as a fighter and a cleric, to serve on the frontlines, but he has yet to see a real battle.He was disappointed to receive a dispatch to the Imperial Capital. he had trained for 6 years to be a warrior-priest and now he felt himself being sent out as a missionary preacher. But he was given special instructions: "find a way to ingratiate yourself, and the Church, with the upper-echelons of the Imperial society. Win their favor, and seek financial and maybe even military support for our cause. Do not return without it." The importance of the mission lifted his spirits, but only a little, as he did not suspect in the slightest that he would soon have the opportunity to earn the favor of the princess herself.

Hook: Win political favor and influence for the Valadmire Rebels and the church of the Lost God in an effort to turn the tides of the endless war.

Last edited by Jab Burrwalky; 06-17-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:50 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3535
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
App completed.

Character Concept
right-aligned image

Name: Wulni Short-Finger
Race: Human
Class: Skald (vanilla - no archetype)
Alignment: Neutral Good
Country of Origin: Vyold

Appearance:
Wulni Short-Finger is a stocky, ruddy skinned man of average height with long black hair in multiple braids bound together with white cloth to form one large braid. He has thick eyebrows over a pronounced brow that makes his blue eyes seem to glow, and a wide flat nose that has seen a fist or two in its day. His face seems to smile even when there is no expression on it, and a thin beard runs from his sideburns to his chin. His upper lip, however, is clean shaven. In each ear he wears a pair of simple copper earrings and around his neck is a variety of trinkets and animal bones on a cord of leather. He has thick hands and on his left hand you can see he is missing the first joint of his middle finger giving it a shortened appearance next to his other fingers. His dark colored leather armor has wolf fur adorning each shoulder pad and small animal bones sewn into the armor itself in a strange pattern. A gruesome looking axe hangs from his thick leather belt, and a brace of daggers are tucked underneath the belt on the other hip. He favors a large Vyold-fashioned fiddle-type instrument as his main instrument - he prefers to play it upright with a bow and the stand extended, but it can also be played with the stand closed and using his fingers similar to a lute.

Personality:
Like many of the men from Vyold, Wulni has a strong sense of honor and is outspoken about his opinions and the actions of others. After all, life is short - mincing your words does no one a service as the truth is what a man needs to better himself and keep him grounded in reality. Like most Vyolds, Wulni has a healthy sense of awe and respect for nature and the good spirits of the world and is very superstitious when it comes to keeping the good spirits on his side. Wulni is fiercely loyal to his clan and to those he considers friends, and when he gives his word he stands by it no matter what. Wulni has a deep reverence for the old ways and is always eager to show off the music and stories of his homeland for those who are interested - fiddling and Vyold throat singing are his favorites. He enjoys the simple things in life - a warm fire, a hot meal, plenty of drink, and good conversation or music is the recipe for an amazing night. Brave and aggressive, Wulni lives his life inspired by the heroic deeds of his ancestors and is eager to prove himself in battle.

Background:
A son of Vyold through and through, Wulni spent his youth tending to the fields, hunting for meals with his brothers, and joyous celebrations around campfires. From as long as he can remember he was always entranced by the stories and legends of Vyold and, especially, the music. His father was an accomplished throat-singer and soon Wulni began practicing constantly, often singing to himself while hard at work in the fields. It was a memorable day for he and his parents when he was accepted into the Bardic University for his talents. Though many of his other classmates preferred the light festive songs of love and laughter and feelings, Wulni preferred the the traditional Vyold songs of honor and courage and valor which caused him to stick out among his classmates. His talents and passion spoke for itself however, and he was one of the new graduates chosen to perform at the coronation ceremony. Wulni has never left Vyold before so this is an exciting time in his life.

Hook: Though hired by Princess Marlene to be one of the acts during her brother's coronation as a symbol of the uniqueness of the Imperium, secretly Wulni is conducting surveillance and alerting the Princess of anyone who may seem to be a wolf in sheep's clothing. She has not paid him for this - after explaining the situation to Wulni, he feels he is duty bound to do so. Wulni has a deep interest in the history and lore of Vyold and would love to uncover all he can about the founding and history of Vyold. Being a fan of legends and lore, Wulni is aware of a number of important clan relics that have disappeared throughout the ages - if he could find some of these historical items and return them, he would be considered a great hero among his clansmen. Bringing glory and honor to his clansmen is more important than life itself.

Last edited by Grouchy; 06-18-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:51 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode
BasicsName: Wayland Gemmell
Race: Human
Class: Vigilante (Cabalist)
Alignment: Neutral. Probably.
Origin: Rifts-End
BackgroundWayland Gemmell is one of Rifts-End's success stories. Rising above the immorality and, often, squalor of his homeland, he has quickly earned a reputation as a sort of consulting academic, with expertise ranging from metallurgy to the classification of monstrous creatures to heraldry. And of course, to his specialty field of "the arcane sciences". He has declined offers of research positions at both the Imperial Quaesitorium and Vyold's Bardic University, preferring to keep quarters near his childhood home despite its occasionally unfortunate reputation.

Sometimes, he even knows what he's talking about when his He has the "Well-Known Expert" social talent (Spymaster's Handbook) -- but not the Renown social talent, so he only gets the take 10 and Bluff bonuses."expertise" is consulted.

In truth, Wayland is the last heir and scion of the Gamwell family. The Gamwells had made their fortune in Rifts-End's dubious antiquities market, trading under the table in lost relics even before magic returned. "It vanished without warning," the family was fond of counselling, "and when it comes back again, it will be the owners of these weapons, these artifacts, these spellbooks, who will hold the power." Secretly, the Gamwells were also practitioners of peculiarities, intended to encourage and hasten the return of magic, but which had become more cultic ritual than anything else. Of course, when magic did return, not everyone in the family adapted well. Wilcox Gamwell, Wayland's great-great-uncle, in particular. Better known as the Carver of East End, Wilcox murdered twenty-seven people in the years following magic's return, apparently having interpreted ancient sorcerous lore to suggest that too much magic was being "trapped" inside the blood of the non-magical, and vowing to let it out... The surviving members of the family opted for a change of name in the aftermath, but the debacle cost them much of their ancestral wealth.

Wayland himself is a far more magically capable individual than he publicly admits. Nevertheless, the passive benefits of cultivating those talents have helped him earn the precocious reputation he only barely deserves. He is also in possession of Wilcox's diaries and notes. And while Wayland certainly doesn't intend to follow his misbegotten relative down the path of madness and murder, there was a truth to his revelations; there is magic in the blood, and power to be had by releasing it. Even as Wayland has wormed his way into increasingly rarefied levels of society, he chafes for the opportunity to do something, to act, to... test those theories firsthand.
PersonalityWayland maintains a public appearance of a calm, dispassionate academic. He is clean-cut, well-dressed, and generally carries himself above his station. Of course, the facade is incomplete. It's entirely likely that a careful observer might wonder exactly how, at his age, he has even had the opportunity to study such diverse fields as he claims to hold expertise in. Or where such a broad education could be found -- or bought -- in the cutthroat markets of Rifts-End.

And he grows increasingly discontent, yearning for the excitement, the danger, and the blood of adventure.

Out of character: There's very little chance that he'll successfully maintain Dual Identity once things start happening, but there's nothing in my intended build that depends on the Dual Identity mechanics in any way; essentially, this character is pitched with the active assumption that he'll quickly be "found out" and that both he and his associates will have to move on with that knowledge.
Hook"With the return of magic, most large communities have been blessed with any number of finger-wiggling spellcasters, each of whom has the self-satisfied notion that the entirety of magical potential and possibility comprises their own experiences. But that very ideation, along with the apparent limitations on current magical power, represents a wealth of dangers alongside the benefits. For your future plans -- this Coronation, certainly, and beyond -- to succeed, you will require the benefits of a scholarly approach to what these arcane circumstances may actually mean.

I would be honored to assist."

By means of reply to Her Royal Highness's inquiry,
your servant,
Wayland Gemmell
Old 06-17-2019, 03:46 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Loving the applications thus far. Anyone who needs a check over or has questions, wants notes, let me know. If you are missing from the application status table also let me know so I can update it.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:57 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 357
Banewolf Banewolf Banewolf Banewolf
Thardrak is more or less done now (Unless you want a basic sheet with weapons, armour, etc). I might end up adding bits and pieces here and there but nothing life changing.

Last edited by Banewolf; 06-17-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:29 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10977
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
I believe my app is complete. Should I defy the odds and get into the game, I'll definitely need help with the character sheet. I tried Hero Lab's character sheet and probably did more harm that good on getting me to understand it. So I deleted it.
Disclaimer: I don't really like the stereotype that goes with "Ninja", but the class description is what I was looking for.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 06-17-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:21 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2448
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Same here. Ready for some feedback though I will tweak anyway as the muse comes to me. Do you need a sheet yet?
Old 06-17-2019, 06:57 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics

Sheets are not needed, as I assume many people will choose to roll for Stats over point buy.

Last edited by Mrjoegangles; 06-17-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:59 PM
Daytime Denizen

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 588
Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky
I wouldn't mind feedback, particularly whether or not the backstory and motivations align with your world canon.

One question, though it won't change my application, is the Lost God of any particular alignment or domain? And if so, are those known yet?
Old 06-17-2019, 07:01 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjoegangles View Post
Sheets are not needed, as I assume many people will choose to roll for Stats over point buy.
Unless it's like ... 10 point buy, I'll always point buy. I have decades of tragedies from rolling stats. Hell, 10 point buy would be better than some of my past characters!