RPXP: 425
Gualdarrama Gualdarrama Gualdarrama Gualdarrama Gualdarrama
A Time for Heroes

Application Closed

Game NameA Time for Heroes
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeHigh Fantasy, Exploration and Intrigue
FlavourPoints of Light
Plot SummaryThe Boreas Kingdom of the Northmen, The Meliston Plains once ruled by the the Kharg Horsemen and the Rulon Kingdom of the peoples who came from the west lands are nations in name only. Every city a state onto itself and where the city-state's army does not reach all is not safe.

The mighty Naqda Empire has long ago fallen to a vast magical cataclysm. Only the Red Wastes remains of this once fertile land. Of the capitals of Lower, Middle and Upper Naqda only Men-nefer, renamed Solitude, remains. What secrets and treasures are buried in the desert no one knows.

Blackrock,the capital of the Dragonborn, has fallen to the troops of the Dragon Cult. The Dracolich Palladia Victus sits in the temple of the Platinum Dragon plotting the conquest of the rest of the world.

The Nagas are scattered. Their capital, Nahuatl, has finally been destroyed in the millenium long wars against he Yuan-ti. What Nagas remain either hide amongst the Thunder-lizards or migrated north beyond the Blackwidow's Peaks.

Pirates operate freely from Floatsam, No one city has a navy large enough to root out this haven of lawlessness. Everyone awaits the day that the pirates lords sack a city.

To make it worse, the five Archmages have not been seen in decades though they had been active for centuries before. But not is lost- there are points of lights and heoes emerge from them still.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Down on your luck and needing a job, you spy a poster in the city's trade district. Martyn Hawkwind heads a caravan traveling from Yordoven to Eton's Cross. Ten gold for 10 to 12 days on the road. It's a job and you are well suited to it. It's a cakewalk; really, what can go wrong?

Details
right-aligned image
The original party.
  • 4 Players
  • Starting level: 1st
  • Sources allowed: PHB, MTof, SCAG, Volo, XGE - No monstrous or flying races allowed.
  • Stats: 27 point buy
  • Wealth: class/background or you can wait till the game folder is open and roll (but you are then stuck with the roll)
  • Post Rate: Must be able to post 3 min/week.
  • Deities: Pantheon
  • Deadline: June 21st Midnight(EST) or until 4 players accepted.

ApplicationsName:
Image: I will need an image for tokens so choose one that you like for your character!
Race:
Class:
CharSheet:
Trait:
Ideal:
Flaw:
Bond:
Personality:
Background:
Roleplay sample of a fight:

Last edited by Gualdarrama; 06-23-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:43 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
PlayerCharacterRaceClassStatus
Babydoll Miley-HumanFighterComplete
ColorsOfTheHeartMouseHumanFighterInterest
DrachenspiritAchadethWoodElfFighterComplete
Fwalin McfundinRagnarFirbolgCleric(Tempest)Accepted
Gjf2aQuaryn StringslingerForestGnomePaladinComplete
HaFrogmanCob StalestriderMountain DwarfRangerComplete
Krow NestTannathar ValdoveHalfElfBardWIP
StadiumiteRubin GrayhornHalfElfDruidAccepted
WhovianBeastErnie WirebiterDeepGnomeRogueComplete

Last edited by Gualdarrama; 06-16-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:12 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1541
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
Yo, why is the deadline next year???
Old 06-14-2019, 09:21 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krow Nest View Post
Yo, why is the deadline next year???
copy and pasred... forgot to change march to june
Old 06-14-2019, 10:07 PM
CommunityCoffee Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9156
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Applications
left-aligned image
Name: Achadeth

Race: Woodelf

Class: Fighter

CharSheet

Trait: I face problems head-on. A simple, direct solution is the best path to success.
Ideal: Our lot is to lay down our lives in defense of others.
Flaw: I'd rather eat my armor than admit when I'm wrong.
Bond: I fight for those who cannot fight for themselves.

Personality: Acha is all about protecting people and standing up for those who can't do so themselves. She tends to see the good in folks, but when someone is shown to be an outright bad seed, she'll stand up to them in a heartbeat. There's not much good in the world, but what there is, she's gonna try and keep it safe and sound.

Background: City Watch - Acha lost her family at a young age and the folks on the outskirts of the city take care of their own. They have to, since the city guard mostly sticks to the core. She did what she could to help protect her community, those that took her in without question, and once old enough trained daily until she could join the newly formed city watch. Sanctioned by the city guard, they had their own hierarchy and she held the rank of Sergeant. She stayed in this position, with little resistance for many a year, content with the time passing as most elves are.
Just recently, a few days ago in fact, the City guard disbanded the City watch for her section of the city, and now she finds herself without a job, or means to feed and take care of herself. Sure she could mooch off of those in her community, but that's something she just can't do.

Roleplay sample of a fight: Those who believe that one is defined by one's race doesn't know anything about Achadeth. She's been on the city watch for a long time; long enough that she's watched over the humans who took her in, their children and their children's children. She hadn't been in or around a true elven settlement for well over a century. A product of her environment, she was sitting in the small tavern alone wondering what she was to do now when the trio of ruffians came in. There were two human males with swords drawn and one half-elven female. Their devious smiles told her that there was no talking her way out of this situation and that they meant to do her harm.
She looked back and the barkeep was gone, paid off no doubt, if not called away on a ruse.
She felt she could take the two men, but it was the half elf with 4 throwing daggers in her belt that concerned Acha the most.
MORE TO COME...

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 06-15-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:30 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 731
gjf2a gjf2a gjf2a gjf2a gjf2a gjf2a gjf2a
Application: Quaryn Stringslinger
Name: Quaryn Stringslinger
Image:
right-aligned image

Race: Forest Gnome
Class: Paladin
CharSheet: Link to character sheet
Trait: Nobody stays angry at me or around me for long, since I can defuse any amount of tension.
Trait: I know a story relevant to almost every situation.
Ideal: Beauty. When I perform, I make the world better than it was.
Flaw: I'll do anything to win fame and renown.
Bond: I idolize a hero of the old tales and measure my deeds against that person's.
Personality: Quaryn has always had a talent for music as well as swordplay. With regard to the latter, his role model is Panahim Quickfingers, a well-known gnomish folk hero noted for his deeds in defending the innocent. With the guarded approval of his clan, Quaryn joined a traveling musical group. His performances are noted for his combination of technical wizardry with the mandolin and his use of illusions to accentuate the storytelling in his songs. His commitment to the beauty of the world combined with the realistic need for the employment of martial arts to defend the innocent has led Quaryn towards the goal of taking the Oath of the Ancients, hence both propagating the light through music and defending the light from the darkness that would seek to overwhelm it. He also hopes his adventures will give him some songwriting material.
Background: Entertainer (Instrumentalist, Singer, Poet)
Roleplay sample of a fight: Suddenly, out of the corner of his eye Quaryn noticed some motion. Turning his head to take a closer look, he saw a strange rocky insectoid looking creature moving towards the party. It was in a clearly aggressive posture.

He initially felt a wave of fear pass through him. This is it. Is it all talk, or am I really ready to be a hero? For an instant, he contemplated the instinctual reaction of a forest gnome: create an illusion. But his martial training took over. He drew his rapier, held it high, and as he charged forward towards the creature he yelled out "Look out everyone! We're under attack!"

In an instant, he got to where the creature was, and realized that this was his moment. He made a rapid thrust towards its torso, and as his rapier struck he knew he had hit it hard. The creature immediately collapsed into a heap on the ground.

Quaryn paused for a moment, stunned that the battle was already over. He slowly withdrew his rapier from the creature's torso and cleaned it off. He looked around nervously for a moment, then said: "Friends, the foe lies defeated. Let us continue our journey. Hopefully we will get off this ledge without further trouble." Sheathing his rapier, he began walking past its corpse.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:34 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1541
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
Application
left-aligned image
The Casual Getup
Tannathar Valdove

Race: Half-Elf

Class: Bard

Trait: Sarcasm is my weapon of choice

Ideal: People. I'm loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care.

Flaw: I'm horribly jealous of anyone who outshines my handiwork. Everywhere I go, I'm surrounded by rivals.

Bond: I was cheated of my fair share of the profits, and I want to get my due.

Personality: Tannathar is a bard alright; full of stories, full of charisma, and definitely full of ego. He is a man who likes to speak his piece, whether polite or not, as he feels his opinion is the shared opinion. Most of the time it isn't true though. He is passionate about his barding, performing even where he isn't wanted, as long as people can hear his 'diddies'. He tends to get agitated over those who insult his music. Tannathar can be described as 'slightly flamboyant', with his actions and some mannerisms of speech.

Background: Entertainer

The young elf had his rapier drawn as he witnessed his allies charge forward. He had no dire need to charge forward like some kind of barbaric-

"AH!" The Half-Elf flailed his Rapier around as something whiffed back his head. An arrow nearly hit him!? Who dare try to damage this face?! Tannathar took notice of the goblin archer and shot toward it a glare of the damned, one of pure hate. He sheathed the rapier and took out his lute, beginning to play a tune that he had invented, one that caused his lute to glow a feint purple color, "You did NOT just try to shoot me! The greatest of sins!! Just for that, try this on for size!"

The bard then began to insult the Goblin, to the beat of his song no less, "You are a disgusting, slimey, smelly, foul mouthed, beedy eyed, bald, terrible aiming, midgety, discount leather wearing, rusty knife wielding, unloved Goblin jerk!"

The Goblin would be struck by a Psychic force from Tannathar having casted Vicious Mockery on the Goblin archer. The Half-Elf kept glaring at the Goblin, "I got more!!!"

Last edited by Krow Nest; 06-22-2019 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:11 AM
Older than it Looks

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 137
Babydoll Miley Babydoll Miley
Placeholder for interest!
Old 06-15-2019, 06:28 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 567
Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite
Name: Rubin Grayhorn
Image:
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Druid
CharSheet: Rubin Grayhorn
Trait: Feels tremendous empathy for those who suffer.
Ideal: The pursuit of wealth and power is corrupting. Harmony with nature is the path to contentment.
Flaw:Enjoys delights of the civilized world too much
Bond: Still seeking elusive enlightenment
Background:
Rubin's story
Rubinís mother was Alre Trisnala Leozorwyn, a high elf wizard from Griffinlock. She was quite powerful, and had become rich and famous as an adventurer. Songs were written about her exploits. She and her companions had slayed dragons and ended wars.

Her power had grown to the point where she was often adventuring in places far off and unknown. She rarely returned to her tower in Griffinlock. Once she returned home to bear a child. This child was the son of Luther Greyhorn. Luther was a cleric of the nature god Silvanus. Luther had not returned to Griffinlock for the birth.

Alre did not remain with her half-human son very long before she was off on another adventure. She gave him the name Darcassan Grayhorn Leozorwyn and left him in the care of servants at her tower.
She would return from time to time, but these visits were sometimes years apart. On these visits, Alre always spent time trying to teach him magic, and she always seemed frustrated with his lack of aptitude for the arcane.

His father returned only once, when the boy was eight years old. Luther stayed for nearly a year, and taught his son about Silvanus. This nature god became the one focus of study which young Darcassan took seriously.

Four years later, he received news by messenger that Luther Grayhorn had been killed by a dragon. Alre was eventually victorious in this fight. The dragon was slain and its treasure seized. But Luther would not return.

Upon this news, Darcassan left Griffinlock. He simply walked away, telling no one. He changed his name to Rubin Grayhorn. He wandered through the wilderness, for a time finding refuge with a group of wood elves, who he had come to like much better than his motherís kind. At 15 he left the wood elves to live a solitary life in the forest. Prayer to Silvanus led him to a Treant mentor who taught him the ways of the druid.

Eight years have now passed since his fatherís death. He has now learned to speak the language of druids and channel natureís power. He assumes his mother is still alive somewhere, but he doesn't really know or care.

Though he much prefers a solitary life, he now feels the call to use his abilities to aid others. So to civilization he returns. He gets word that Martyn Hawkwind is leading a caravan traveling from Yordoven to Eton's Cross and decides to join in with that effort for a time.

Personality:
  • Though raised in the high elf capital, Rubin dislikes high-elves.
  • Though the son of a powerful wizard, Rubin distrusts arcane magic. He regards it as something outside of, and opposed to nature.
  • Often prefers to be solitary, but sometimes will over indulge in the pleasures of the civilized world. Leaning back to his days as a spoiled child in a wealthy home.
  • Professes pacifism, but is eager to crack the skulls of deserving targets with a stick.
Equipment:
  • Druidic Focus: Totem
  • Wooden Shield
  • Leather Armor
  • Explorer's Pack
  • Herbalist Kit
  • Quarterstaff
Roleplay sample:
A Poacher in the glade
Rubin had been traveling alone in high forested hills. He had spent the night in a human village several weeks ago, in a tavern. There he heard a rumor of a sacred glade in these hills. This place was as pure as the day the world came into being. Treants visit this place. Dryads too. Maybe even a unicorn.

As he climbed he began to believe the rumor was true. He was seeing plants here that were very rare. Some of the trees appeared to be more than a thousand years old.

As night fell, he dug a shallow trench and surrounded it with leaves and brush. He would sleep in this trench beneath a blanket of vegetation to keep him hidden.

In the night he awoke. He heard the clanking of metal. It must be weapons or tools. Someone else is here, he thought.

He crept out of the trench as silently as he could and sneaked toward the source of the sound.

A goblin! With a dagger and a shovel and a bag. It was digging up plants by the roots and putting them in the bag. He would sell these things to wizards no doubt. A high price might be paid for rare plants that can be used to manipulate arcane energy.

"Stop there! Can't you see that things have far higher value alive and where they are. Are you a fool?"

To his surprise, the goblin understood the common tongue.

"Who asked you? F*#k off! Just making a living." said the goblin.

"You were warned."

He called for Silvanus' blessing on his quarterstaff, charged the goblin. He feigned to the left with the staff, but struck the goblin with the right end. The blow landed at the side of goblins head. Rubin heard a loud pop from the goblins skull. He felt a bit guilty as the small creatures eyes rolled shut. It fell to the ground.

"I'm sorry. But you were warned. Now you are food for the trees. Take solace in that."

Rubin looked through the goblin's bag. Some of these plants were still intact to the root. Good news. When the sun rose, we would try to reset them in the dirt. Perhaps little damage had been done.

Last edited by Stadiumite; 06-16-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:24 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2349
Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin Fwalin McFundin
Application: Ragnar
Name: Ragnar
Image:
right-aligned image

Race: Firbolg
Class: Cleric (Tempest Domain)
CharSheet: Link to character sheet
Trait: Ragnar judges people by their deeds, not their words and is always willing to help someone in trouble.
Ideal: People deserve to be treated with dignity and respect,but nothing and no one can lead me away from my higher calling.
Bond: I love the land, and I will protect the land and those who cannot protect themselves.
Flaw: II have trouble trusting in my allies.
Personality: Ragnar is an easygoing and pleasant Firbolg when he is in the wooded hills that he calls home.In towns he is uncomfortable and becomes quieter and less genial. He tends to spend as little time in crowded places as he can preferring to live under the sky than in a building made for humans. He avoids intoxicants and lives simply like all his people as it is important to tread lightly on the world. He loves tales of the Gods and History and to play the flute tunes that his mother taught him.
Background: Inheritor. For centuries, the Firbolg have farmed quietly in the wooded hills where few humans come and avoided the wars that devastated the world. Born in a small village close to Rubin's home, Ragnar was marked by The Wildmother at birth and has been brought up as one of her priests. With the world becoming less safe, the Firbolg have sent a number of younger males out to get more news of events so that they can prepare for whatever is coming. His village elders arrnaged for him to travel with an elven youth so Ragnar and Rubin set off together. As he left, his mother gave him a flute, and his father gave him the warhammer that hung over the grate. He left Home with a heavy heart, but Rubin is a good companion and the two of them have begun to become friends.

Ragnar stood and watched the human as he cut the living wood of a birch tree, without asking its permission. He moved towards the human then called out. "Cease thy desecration or pay the Wildmother's price". The human jumped at the sound of his voice then spun around and raised his axe into an attack posture.

Ragnar took a step and became invisible then cast Fog Cloud. As the wood filled with Fog he heard the human trying to move away and he moved to follow. Two big steps and he came out from the left of the human, and diced to grapple him to the ground. Teh human was too small to fight him once its weapons had been lost and he dragged it back to the grove where the rest of the hunting band were waiting. He threw it down in front of the piestess and explained what it had been doing,

The human was clearly terrified at the sight of six Firbolg armed and armoured for the hunt. He stood and shook, and the smell of urine filled the air. The priestess spoke to it. "You came to our lands and passed the signs. You cut our wood without asking it if you could. You will leave here now and never return, and tell all thers of your kind that the blue blazes on the trees mark the lands of the Folk and that we shall not allow you to trespass." She waved him away.

The human ran as fast as he could in a straight line to his camp and left in a hurry, Ragnar running behind him and driving him up to the point he left the Lands. Another impudent human chased off, but still they came.

Last edited by Fwalin McFundin; 06-17-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:03 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1130
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
I'm working on a Human Fighter (Arcane Archer) right now. Before I finish I wanted to know if you were okay with the variant human or if I should stick to the basic one.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:59 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsOfTheHeart View Post
I'm working on a Human Fighter (Arcane Archer) right now. Before I finish I wanted to know if you were okay with the variant human or if I should stick to the basic one.
Variant human is acceptable.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 716
RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77 RedWolfe77
Applications
right-aligned image
Name: Charden Marsters
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Warlock (Celestial)

Trait: I’m always polite and respectful. I’m haunted by memories of war. I can’t get the images of violence out of my mind.
Ideal: Greater Good. Our lot is to lay down our lives in defense of others. (Good)
Flaw: I’d rather eat my armor than admit when I’m wrong.
Bond: I’ll never forget the crushing defeat my company suffered or the enemies who dealt it.

Last edited by RedWolfe77; 06-15-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:35 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5317
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
Posting tentative interest. Probably leaning toward an Arcane Trickster Rogue (haven't played one before, I like variety) if I apply. We'll see how things shake out for me in the next few days
Old 06-15-2019, 05:53 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1130
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
Application
right-aligned image

Name: Streya Ashworthy

Nickname: Mouse

Race: Human (Variant)

Class: Fighter (Eventual Arcane Archer)

CharSheet: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=81020

Trait: I lie about almost everything, even when there's no good reason to.
I have a joke for every occasion, especially the occasions where humor is innapropriate.

Ideal: Aspiration. I'm determined to make something of myself.

Flaw: I'm too greedy for my own good. I can't resist taking a risk if there's money involved.

Bond: I owe everything to my father a horrible person who's probably rotting in jail somewhere.

Personality: Streya was taught from a young age that honesty would get you nowhere in life and that the only way to be something was to lie and trick people. Though she now knows better, years of having that shoved into her brain has turned her into a complusive liar. Above all she is playful and adventurous, always willing to try new things. She's stubborn to a fault and hates it when people underestimate her. She's a good talker and even when seemingly innocent, seems to know exactly what she's saying at any given time. Each sentence a carefully constructed lie or truth. She has a bit of a problem with authority and rules, especially the little pointless rules, she tends to go out of her way to break them. Streya tends to doubt herself and question everything she was taught by her father.

Background: Charlatan
Streya was raised by her father, as her mother died during childbirth. Her father was a con artist who raised Streya to be part of his schemes. Growing up, Streya did some awful things that she didn't know were bad. Distracting guards to keep them away from her father, enforcing all of her father's lies with ones of her own, helping him scam innocent people out of his money. He told her all the time that she would be worthless without him and that she was lucky to have such a generous father. For a long time, she believed it. As she grew older and began developing into a woman, she ended up getting lucky enough to be relatively pretty. That's around the time that she started realizing that her father was bad. He tried to convince to her trick people in new ways, sexual ways. What sort of father would want their daughter to do things like that?

Streya knew something had to change, something was very wrong with the way she was being treated. So, she did the only thing she could think of. Lie and trick people into getting her father arrested. It worked. But now that she was on her own, she had no idea what to do. For a while, she stuck with lies and tricks into getting coin enough to survive. But every scheme left her feeling ashamed and guilty. It was one night, while sitting inside a tavern after another guilty ridden scheme, that she heard a group talking. They mentioned a farm that they had rescued from bandits, and several other feats that had accomplished.

That gave her an idea. Streya had always been good at archery, won almost every competition she had entered, without cheating even. Maybe she could be an adventurer? Earn her coin in a way that would be helpful to others. Maybe then she could make up for the things that she had done.

Streya was living up to her nickname of Mouse. Crouched low in the bushes, not making a single sound, she watched. The only person who knew she was there was her father. Mouse was hidden to all others. Three individuals had her father surrounded, bandits. As always, her father was trying to smooth talk his way out of the situation, but to no avail. The bandits didn't want fancy words, they wanted money. Even when one bandit brandished a sword to her father's throat, Streya didn't move. Not until the signal was given. The barely noticeable twitch of her father's fingers had Streya bursting out of the bushes and firing the arrow she already had knocked. It hit home, piercing the throat of one bandit, as her father's blade found the belly of another.

As Mouse readied another arrow, she caught a glimpse of something off to the side. Twisting around at the last moment, she barely managed to dodge the arrow of another bandit that had been hiding just nearby. She returned his shot with one of her own, and down he went. Already readying another arrow, she turned back to the action. Her father was going toe to toe with the last bandit, neither one willing to give any ground. She couldn't get a clear shot with their erratic movements. Streya pursed her lips and let out a shrill whistle. The sound caught the attention of the bandit, distracting them just long enough for her father to deal the final blow. Stepping out of the bushes, Mouse scanned the surroundings to make sure there were no others. "The hawk never suspects that their prey will fight back." Her father said as he began looting the bodies.

Streya knelt down to help her father, pulling a nearly empty coin purse off one bandit. "Calling them hawks is giving them too much credit. They are more like vultures."