RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Gaming Advice > DM Screen > DM mentoring
twitter google facebook
4 6 5
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old 11-21-2018, 05:05 AM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1198
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk

I just wanted to say thanks. I am throwing around the idea to DM a Shadowrun 5th edition game and was just going to ask some vague questions but then I started reading all the threads here and found most of what I was wondering about.

Though, I do got one question. I'm not going to be starting up the game right away. I want to read the first 8 Shadowrun books to get a firmer grasp of the Shadowrun world. But first I want to finish reading 'Order 66' and 'Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader' so I'll be finished with the Clone Wars story arc before I do that.(one of my goals in life is to read all the Star Wars novels)

I was wondering if it would be alright if I request a DM thread for my game even though I might not start it up for 1-2 months?
Or should I just wait until I got everything ready first?
Old 11-21-2018, 08:46 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12023
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
I'm always excited to see new Shadowrun GMs around these parts! As such, feel free to PM me any questions you may have about the setting or the system. I've been GMing 5E since day one and I've been steeped in the fiction for quite some time.

Speaking of the fiction, I'll say that the first few books are kind of dull. I'd suggest starting with the Dragon Heart Tillogy and then moving to anything by Nigel Findlay. His books Burning Bright and House of the Sun are my two favorites.

You'll also want to get your hands on the sixth world almanac as it is the most complete collection of world history you until around 2070. We've been begging the writers for an update, but the freelancers say that fluff books don't sell anymore and they've been trying to get that approved for years

Good luck out there chummer, you're going to need it!
If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:01 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35462
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
A Community Supporter can request a game and have the forum created ahead of time. Tis a perk of being a CS.

You will need to check the Create an Ad Thread option in the request once you are ready to accept players. Your Plot Summary you write up for your request then becomes the first ad post.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:11 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Zev has a good point! I haven't regretted going green and if you need more incentive, we'll be doing our big charity drive soon. Year memberships come with bonus months, gaming PDFs, and other goodies when we meet our goals during the drive
If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:41 PM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks!

I'm already a Community Supporter, but I'll keep an eye out for the fund drive
Old 11-24-2018, 09:41 PM
Evily Adorable

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3270
Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor
I'll chime in...

First and foremost... I would love to see more SR games. Been needing one in my life as of late...

If you know it will be 1-2 months, I wouldn't hesitate too much. If you know what kind of people you want to recruit, or have an idea of the game you want to run, it could take every bit of that time to find them. As our pal Zev said, you could request the game and not put up the advert. That would give you time to get content up in your game forum before recruitment, as well.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:17 AM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks Hextor.

As of right now, the only thing I have panned is I want to make all the players contacts as living parts of the game and it will be in Seattle. Other then that, I have been looking at some adventures on Scribd for Shadowrun and getting a few ideas. Don't want to play a module someone may have already played a dozen times, though I might just go ahead and use one as it will save me some headaches I suppose :P
Old 11-25-2018, 08:29 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Shadowrun missions season 1 are free and legally available from the Shadowrun Tabletop website. They are the missions they ran at conventions and come in nice tight little packages. Season one also takes place in Seattle.

The only drawback is they were written for Third Edition twenty years ago. You'll need to update them to fifth, but being so old means no one has likely played them and if they have, it was two decades ago
Old 11-25-2018, 07:21 PM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks, I'll give them a look.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:37 PM
Evily Adorable

Tools
User Statistics
The only long running SR game I got in to was almost a decade ago, and I'm almost certain my friend wrote it all himself.

Any modules you may use to start off the game, it will likely all be new to me except meeting Mr. J... those all run the similar gamut of scenarios.

Would you mind me recycling a concept I've enjoyed playing a couple times? Female gunslinger with a katana and proficient with several firearms. Fuzzy background (she had her memories wiped), but still a general bad@$$.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:51 PM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
I'll probably be open to any concept. While I have access to a lot of the books thanks to my Scribd account, thinking of keeping the game rules using mostly the Core Book. And I'm throwing around the idea of having all the players know each other before the start of the game too. After actually reading the first part of 'Missions: Season 1'. I will be using that for the game and everyone will not know each other.

Currently reading the 'Sixth World Almanac' and up to 2034 at the moment and all I can say is "Damn, the world went to **** crap in a handbasket."

Last edited by Silk; 11-27-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:55 PM
Evily Adorable

Tools
User Statistics
Hmm... I do like it when we are made to work out our differences in game...
Old 12-01-2018, 12:48 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 348
Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk Kerchunk
You're right about the Sixth World, it's a mess. But that's a large part of what makes it so charming. Corps on one side, gangers on the other, organized crime, corrupt governments, para critters, back stabbing Mr. Johnsons, you name it! And between all of that, a small group of shadowrunners try to get by, carve out a place for themselves, and maybe - just maybe - make the world a little less drekky. Love it!

I have to respectfully disagree with Imveros though. I like the early fiction. Especially Into the Shadows, which is a collection of short stories with a central theme. Plot, maybe it's a central plot. Either way they are all connected and it's a very good read.

If there was one place I would suggest branching out from the Core Rule Book, it is character creation. I've certainly made my fair share of characters using the priority system (and loved them all) but I find it a clunky way of doing things compared to the other ways presented in Run Faster. With the priority system I always feel like I have too much of one thing and not enough of everything else. Sum to Ten is a good baby-step away from the priority system and point buy is probably the ultimate expression of flexibility but my favorite is the Lifepath version. It really gives me great, well-balanced characters with a background that writes itself.

Anyway, that's my 0.02 nuyen. Good luck with your game.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:46 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35462
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Thread title edited for clarity and chummer visibility.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:40 AM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks