Notices

Closed Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 942
Skunknik Skunknik Skunknik Skunknik Skunknik Skunknik Skunknik Skunknik
Stamina is not her thing over long distances. Arrissa puts on a burst of speed, before starting to feel the burn!
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5943
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
The fellow in silk catches up to Arrissa easily and tackles her. Before she knows it, he's cuffed her arm to his. "Now sweetie, you and I are gonna have a little talk..."
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 02:36 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
The fellow leads Arrissa back down the stairs to the other office, and has the clerks clear out. Pulling up two chairs, he sits down on one and allows you to sit on the other. He transitions his end of the cuffs from his wrist to the chair so he can bring out a notebook. He then leaves you there with a guard while he confers with the guard captain. Upon his return he looks you straight in the eyes with a penetrating stare. "I'm Lord Bishop Alion. I'm told you witnessed the murder of one Mr. Nigel and may have information on a smuggling operation. For the record, please state your full name, date of birth, and location of birth. Now, why don't you start at the beginning? Explain to me everything, even the smallest detail."

After interrogating Arrissa, he leads her back to the office where everyone else is, then he takes Phixis over to the other office for her private interrogation. Thereafter he interrogates Alvyn, Joe, Nibis and Schmiede each in turn.

ooc
I'd like you to post your replies in secret in the parallel conversations thread.

Last edited by anamiac; Feb 9th, 2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
After interrogating all of you, you're returned to the original room. Bishop comes in and spends a few minutes reading through his notes and mumbling to himself while you wait. Then he stands up, orders all the guards but the captain out, and addresses you:

"Well, I have a fairly good guess as to the nature of this crime. Bowerhaven has long had a criminal element - a Thieves guild. They call themselves 'The Right People'. It's a joke, I suppose, as someone might say that 'You can't get such-and-such at any old merchant, you have to go to The Right People'... Not very funny, I know." He pauses a moment to make sure everyone is following, then continues, "Well, they prey on the upper and middle class, running extortion, blackmail, assassination, smuggling, prostitution, although they occasionally do some legitimate stuff like bounty collecting and private investigation. I feel that they've been running rampant too long, but it seems they know how to bribe the right people..." He laughs realizing how that came out.

"Now, Rockhaven has grown tremendously over the past half century. Lots of poor people moving into the big city can't afford to live in the trees, so they live in the old mines. Gangs of thugs rule the slums. Each gang has it's own name, but collectively they're called the whistlers, because... well, they used to communicate by whistling out dangers. Some of them still do, I suppose. Anyway, recently they've become more organized and are expanding into the wealthy areas of Rockhaven, not just the slums. That has The Right People upset, and there's been conflict."

"Now, I don't know for certain, but I suspect that the assassin was affiliated or perhaps hired by the Whistlers. Alex is almost certainly a member of The Right People, and the loss of the cargo and the exposure of his smuggling operation is going to hurt him badly - send a message. Of course he's not gonna go to prison, they always make sure that if someone's caught, it's someone unimportant." He makes a knowing gesture at all of you.

"We're going to impound your boat, we caught it fair and square... Well, maybe not fair, but never-mind that. Rather than locking the lot of you up for the next month or two, perhaps I could interest you in a deal. I'd like to keep a closer eye on the Whistler's activities, perhaps this was an isolated event, but perhaps there's something big brewing? You six should be able to pass in the criminal element. How would you like to be my eyes and ears?"
mechanics
Each of you gets an insight check.

Last edited by anamiac; Feb 10th, 2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Arrissa tries to listen, really she does, but well, he is very distracting. She catches the last part about infiltrating a criminal gang. She immediately pay's more Insight Check 19attention, watching Bishop closely. Which really wasn't a chore...
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Grumpy Old Wrym

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2627
Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays
Is this rich self-important jerk going to keep us under his thumb for long or are we going to be on our way? Phixis thinks. Gangs, Thieves Guild, allll city problems. But she mentally checks them off so she can put on a show of caring later. The only insight she has is that Arrissa is sure looking at Bishop Alion in a funny way.
"I'd rather spy on a gang than spend a month in prison. But you're taking advantage of us. You've clearly figured out enough to corroborate our story: that we were hired crew and paying passengers. You believe us well enough to enlist us, but you threaten us with punishment for a crime we aren't guilty of. The only way we avoid punishment is by working for you without pay. Sounds like blackmail to me."

Last edited by Ssays; Feb 10th, 2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Just an addicted gamer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5152
Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur
Alvyn also protests with the same reasoning as Phixis : "As she mentioned, we are not guilty. If you want us to infiltrate some thieves guild, we may be interested as good citizens with proper reward. But how do we know that you are not involved in one group or another that just want to have another pawn in the game? Does he expect to scare us with the story or something? Alvyn doesn't know what to think?
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 69
Arthabaska
Nibis listens to the prosition with growing anxiety. Her dreams of joining the Archdruid's team seem to be getting farther away, and this mission among thieves and assassins surely is far from safe. She tries to think of a way to get herself out of this mess.

"Officer, I don't think I have the right qualities to serve as a spy among thieves... I'm a simple druid, accustomed to plants and trees. This is so far from my area of expertise. Furthermore, I'm expected at the Archdruid's guild and my absence will be noticed. I can show you my letter of recommendation if you like..."

Sangus Oath taker, january 24th 2015
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 12:43 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssays View Post
But you're taking advantage of us. You've clearly figured out enough to corroborate our story: that we were hired crew and paying passengers. You believe us well enough to enlist us, but you threaten us with punishment for a crime we aren't guilty of. The only way we avoid punishment is by working for you without pay. Sounds like blackmail to me.[/SAY]
Bishop frowns. "Without pay? What would - " but Bishop is interrupted by the guard captain.

"Not Guilty? You're all guilty as sin! The boat had contraband on it, and you concealed it - don't try to deny it!" He grabs Phixis by the shirt. "Ink splatter right there! So clumsy of you..." He turns on Arrissa "Resisting arrest! Dozens of witnesses!"

Bishop puts his hand on the guard captain's shoulder. "Andrew..."

But the guard captain is too worked up to stop. "And your story about your captain being murdered! Awfully convenient!"

Bishop looks angry as he shouts at his subordinate "Andrew!"

Andrew looks back at Bishop, sees that he's mad, and instantly becomes... scared."Sorry m'lord."

"Two years ago Duke Langren is found, throat slit in a whore house... Six months ago it was Leutenant Jones - you were there - he was shot with a poisoned arrow while on parade!"

"Yes m'lord."

"And now she's stuck again." Bishop concludes. "Nibis, I'll be happy to notify the ArchDruid that you'll be a little late."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xildur View Post
"As she mentioned, we are not guilty. If you want us to infiltrate some thieves guild, we may be interested as good citizens with proper reward. But how do we know that you are not involved in one group or another that just want to have another pawn in the game?
"You dare accuse Lord - " Andrew starts, but Bishop cuts him off with a look.

"I am a guardsman, that is my group. My men are my family... I've buried a lot of family to thugs and assassins. There's too many that are content with the status quo, the endless cycle of crime, poverty, violence, but I joined the guard to make a difference! I didn't have to, I'm of noble birth and could have chosen any occupation I wanted. Believe me when I say that I will endeavor to see the end of both the whistlers and 'The Right People' and I will take down anyone that stands in my way! Now, are you with me or against me?"

Last edited by anamiac; Mar 16th, 2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 03:48 AM
Just an addicted gamer

Tools
User Statistics
Alvyn says : "Listen to me. I don't care your sob stories. Everyone has one and everyone must learn to deal with their own way. What I do know is our group has been set up to get the blame for this mess. If you threat us with punishment without give us chance to prove our innocence nor proper defense in the court, you are no better with Thieves Guild that you are so profoundly hate." Alvyn pauses a while to let his reasoning sink in. Then he continues : "I don't mind to do infiltration as long its worthwhile. So now, how about negotiation?"

Last edited by Xildur; Feb 11th, 2015 at 03:50 AM.
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 05:35 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Arrissa, more attentive than she had been, watches the exchange in silence. It was the guard captain that swayed the matter, more than the British slang for attractivedishy Lord Bishop. Her mind wandered back to her days on patrol. The long evenings where all she could do is wonder why her city was going to rack and ruin. She knew about the cancer of corruption, how it wormed it's way into the hearts and minds of those she had called friends. She had wanted to better herself, to seek her fortune so that she could come back and help save her city. And now she was being presented with that opportunity on a plate.

Absently she figured the bone dice in her pocket, always bringing her luck. Making up her mind, she stands up facing those she had arrived with. "Guys, the Lord Bishop's methods in taking us to task are questionable at the least, and I think he knows this as well as we do. I can't and won't speak for you all, but I served this city, and watched the decay set in and crumble the souls of it's people. Soon, there will be nothing but squalor and filth for the common folk, while the greedy and the corrupt live like kings." She pauses thinking, before continuing. "Ask yourself this, where will you all be when that day comes?".

Looking at Phixis, "You risked your life chasing an assassin that had killed a man you didn't really know. You may fit in with this future we all know is coming, but how will you ignore those who are trodden beneath the feet of the cities scum?"

Turning to Nibis, she continues, "Yes, you could run away, go back to the nature that you obviously love so much. But how would you, how could you live knowing that you had a chance to save so many of nature's souls in this great city of trees, and yet you turned away?"

Looking now at Alvyn, "Out of us all, you I think may not be troubled by what our future holds, but I don't know you, so I my be doing you some injustice, and if so, you have my apologies. But as you say, if not for the common good, will you stand by the city for reward? For if luck favours not the good, there will be little reward in the days to come I think."

Turning back to the Captain and the Lord Bishop, she flashes a quick smile. "Sorry. I didn't mean to get so carried away but this is my city, and it hurts that it is falling to darkness. I'm in."
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Grumpy Old Wrym

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2627
Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays Ssays
Phixis sighs and shakes her head, “I’m in, too. This isn’t my city, but of course I feel sorrow for the corruption I’m hearing about.” She looks at Lord Bishop and points to Arrissa, “But I wouldn’t be in if not for her. You may have a good heart, operating in a corrupt system. Your recruiting methods leave room for doubt. We’ll see.”
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 01:43 AM
Just an addicted gamer

Tools
User Statistics
Alvyn crosses his hand and says : "Not that I don't feel disturbed with what future holds, Arrissa. But just like Phixis said, his recruiting methods leave me with a lot of doubt. But I am not saying no just yet. I just want to know deeper before I sign up to something that I barely understand. I am outlander, hence I don't know Twohaven condition just yet. But what I do know that I am being blackmailed to do the whim of someone that I barely know. One of my family motto is 'Never to accept directly of others wish' because it usually bites you hard in the end. If Bishop wants to recruit us against the two thieves guilds, I want to know more detail about what he expect from us and what support he can provide, not a blank sheet to sign up. I think that is fair. And if you as so keen in defending Bishop, why do you run from him in the first place?"
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 05:13 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
My sweet Alvyn, I didn't run from Bishop as I had no idea who he was. The clerk ordered us arrested. I don't know the clerk. Like you I prefer to commit when I know the facts. I may not know them all, but I've heard enough now to convince me. Arrissa gives Alvyn a smile. "I love my city. You have my apologies if I sometimes appear too passionate about the matter."

Last edited by Skunknik; Feb 12th, 2015 at 05:13 AM.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 02:36 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Bishop sees that Alvin is going to take some persuading. "You act as if you blame me for your predicament. Most of you knew outright you were on a ship smuggling something - the others must have suspected! None of you said a word to the guards until you were caught. All I'm asking for is that you find a means to infiltrate the Whistlers and send me daily reports. Now, what 'support' do you think you will require?"