Notices

Closed Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2017, 07:02 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 157
truvoice truvoice
"Oh wow!" The gnome thinks! "That trap would have caught a lesser man. Times like this, it's great to be so damn smart."

Wilban looks over his shoulder, and he can't see the group's fire. It is concerning.

"I didn't think the lights were this far away. I need to keep going. I'm so close to actual discovery. I would be letting everyone down if I wandered off and had nothing to report."

Wilban pushes on. Adventuring is more fun than he ever imagined.

Last edited by truvoice; Jun 7th, 2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 08:43 AM
Dire Owlbear

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1399
mrBumbry mrBumbry mrBumbry mrBumbry mrBumbry mrBumbry mrBumbry mrBumbry mrBumbry mrBumbry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrBumbry View Post

Back at CampKrant was not too pleased about being roused early for his watch, but agreed to Skoll's request and took up his position. His mind drifted to the many unpleasant ends that could have met a foolish gnome blundering around in the forest at night, and having quickly run out of fingers his thoughts returned the Durac. The soldier's animosity bothered him more than usual for some reason. A man of Krant's heritage was no stranger to prejudice, but his travelling companion's reaction had been raw and visceral. It felt personal.

SkollSkoll tracked the gnome with some difficulty. The rain soaked forest almost entirely masked Wilban's scent, and he had left little in the way of tracks behind him. It would have been an impossible task for any ordinary man, but Skoll was not ordinary. In addition to being an excellent tracker, in his four-legged form his senses were heightened far beyond that of a human. Skoll arrived at the edge of large pit from which wafted the sickly scent of decomposing flesh and bones. In the darkness it was not clear what the source of the remains had been - hopefully animal. A little further ahead he could make out the form of Wilban, facing five sickly green lights that were floating about four feet off the ground.

WilbanWilban stepped carefully around the sinkhole. When the hazard was safely behind him, the lights froze in the air. From this position he was able to clearly identify that what he has been chasing are five Will-o'-Wisps. Tales of these malevolent spirits are not uncommon, and you know now that their reputation for leading travellers into danger so that they can feed on the their misery is well earned. Despite their lack of features you feel the overwhelming sensation of being scrutinised. Testing this theory, Wilban takes a step to the left and all five lights facelessly swivel in unison.

Vortel OmniumHaving given up on his intention to sleep in a pile of sticks, Vortel slept soundly enough given the circumstances. Though the arrangements were not up to his preferred standard, he was no stranger to life on the road and slept soundly.

At first.

He dreamt that he was stumbling through a strange town on a bright day. Some of the people he saw were translucent and glowed softly whilst others were only featureless shades. Though he tried to interact with them, everyone carried on about their day to day business as if he was not there. As he was about to take another step, he realised that he was rooted to the spot. He looked down to find strange tendrils wrapping themselves tightly around his feet and legs. In a panic he thrashed and clawed at them, trying to break free and with a final effort summoned forth fire to burn the appendages. The fire quickly reduced them to ashes and a sharp pain ripped through his head.

He jerked awake with his head still throbbing and the smell of burning.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 04:25 PM
Paladin of God

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 569
Xalos Xalos Xalos Xalos Xalos Xalos
Jerking awake from his odd dream, Vortel quickly looks around rapidly muttering "Telum Ignis!", Casting: Fire Bolt (cantrip)flailing his hands around for a second, but stopping himself from launching the small ball of fire he evoked into his grip. Using it as a light source before the unfinished spell quickly fades, he 15 perceptionstudies his surroundings making sure to notice anything out of the ordinary.

After a few seconds, when the tired human finally comes to his full senses and realizes he's alone in the tent, Vortel peaks his head out. Looking up at the dark sky and noticing it's almost morning, he looks around for whoever is on watch. Noticing Krant patrolling the site even though the moon is barely half way across the night sky, the sorcerer walks over to the half-orc. "Good morning Krant. Where is Skoll, he isn't in the tent?"

Link to the rolls [Link]

Always open to critiques and criticisms!

Last edited by Xalos; Jun 9th, 2017 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Assumed wrong time.
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 11:34 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 119
numberQ numberQ
When a flash of red and orange light catches Krant's attention, he stands at the ready, heavy maul in hand. He notes that it comes from one of the tents; did something get into the campsite without him noticing? No such bad luck - he relaxes as his human traveling companion steps out into the night. The half-orc lets the head of his maul thud into the dirt, and brings his other hand to rest on his waist.

"Last minute change, yeah," he says, stretching his neck to one side. "Wilban ran off, or something. Skoll went lookin' for him. And that means I get woke up early. You ask me, that gnome has his nose too far up a book to keep a good watch."

Stat Block

Old Jun 10th, 2017, 03:32 AM
Scholar of Things

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 266
Zaubkrieg Zaubkrieg Zaubkrieg

Skoll Feindjager

Skoll pads forwards
Dice * Stealth:
1d20+4 (16)+4 Total = 20
cautiously, unsure of these lights and
Dice * Memory (Int):
1d20+1 (17)+1 Total = 18
wracking his brains for any memory of them. He keeps his eyes on them as he quietly approaches Wilban, ready to pounce on the lights should they theraten his fragile companion. What is going on here, what has he gotten himself into?

Stat Block

Old Jun 12th, 2017, 07:56 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
truvoice truvoice
Wilban looks onto the glowing creatures. His heart starts beating faster, for this is the first moment that has felt dangerous. They clearly know I am here. "Hopefully, they don't view me as a threat."

The gnome takes a deep breath to try to calm his nerves. He raises his hands with his palms to the creatures.

"I mean no harm. I am but a simple researcher. I will leave you in peace"

Wilban has no idea if they speak common, his brain is in too much of a panic to recall.

Old Jun 13th, 2017, 08:24 AM
Dire Owlbear

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1399
mrBumbry mrBumbry mrBumbry mrBumbry mrBumbry mrBumbry mrBumbry mrBumbry mrBumbry mrBumbry
In the ForestDenied their meal, the lights hovered indecisively.

Wilban tried to appeal to their better nature (in the hope that they have one). "I mean no harm. I am but a simple researcher. I will leave you in peace." His unseen protector, Skoll watched warily from the shadows and identified the will-o-wisps immediately. Though typically scavengers, these restless spirits had been known to attack when provoked. Some unseen communication passed between them and as one they began to advance on the gnome, glowing menacingly. The scene had been gradually brightening, and as they approached the first rays of dawn swept through the forest bathing it in a soft amber glow. One by one the lights blinked out. Whether it was the light of the new day, or the way that it was reflected like fire in the eyes of the wolf just behind their prey was not clear, but in an instant they had vanished, and Wilban and Skoll were alone.
Camp SiteVortel was propelled into wakefulness by the scent of burning and was relieved to find himself still in the campsite, with everything as he remembered it. Until he looked down at his legs and saw livid bruises where the phantom tendrils had grasped him.

He asked about the absent Skoll, and was casually informed by Krant that the bookish Wilban had wandered off alone into the forest and Skoll had left to look for him a while ago.
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 09:09 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People  

Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20246
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
With rays of sunlight peeking into her shelter, Vesper blinks her eyes open and awakens to a new day. She finds Wilban gone and Durac still asleep in her shelter, so she gets herself dressed and steps outside.

Her first thought is to make breakfast for everyone, but then she remembers her lack of food and resolves to do some serious shopping when the group gets to town later today. So resolved, she puts on her best smile and greets her companions that are awake. "Good morning friends! How nice to have an uneventful evening on the road. Did the storm stay out of your shelter as well?"

Old Jun 13th, 2017, 04:13 PM
Paladin of God

Tools
User Statistics
As the sun comes up, Vortel starts to take down parts of the campsite, wrapping up supplies, and re-scattering wood and leaves. Looking over to Rydia, the irritated sorcerer says "The gnome wandered off durring his shift. Skoll is out searching for him now, I guess Wilban will have to make due with a short rest instead of a long until we get to town. The fool needs to learn not to split the party" Vortel sighs, cooling down his anger. "I guess it will just take us a little longer so we can let the gnome get his rest when we reach the town." Looking back at the now empty tents, Vortel starts to disassemble them.

Last edited by Xalos; Jun 14th, 2017 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Forgot StatBlock
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 01:43 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4414
Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos Dargos
left-aligned image

Durac awakes and exits his makeshift shelter and starts to get himself ready for the morning. He dons his armor and checks his weapons to make sure everything is where it is supposed to be. Finally he starts to help the others tear down the camp. Looking around he notices that some of the group is missing. He dismisses it as they were off searching for firewood or a meal or something of that nature until Vortel mentions that the gnome wandered off in the night.

"He wandered off? And the other one went after him? How long have they been gone? We should not wait much longer for them. If they are still alive then they will catch up sooner or later."

Old Jun 14th, 2017, 09:28 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People  

Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
"Oh! Are we breaking camp now?" Rydia turns and rushes back to her shelter in order to dig her spell book out of her pack. "I just need a few minutes to prepare my mind for the day. It is sort of a ritual habit I developed during study. Otherwise my spells will be useless for the day. But I promise that I won't take long."

Her stomach growls to emphasize that point. Rydia is very eager to get back to town. And if the gnome that fed her is in trouble, she definitely wants to be ready to help.

Old Jun 15th, 2017, 07:47 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
truvoice truvoice
As the creatures dissipate, Wilban lets out a huge breathe. "Luckily, Oghma blessed me with this sunlight. Oh my, sunrise already! I've been gone for hours!"

The gnome begins to run back to camp. Hopefully, everyone is okay!

Old Jun 15th, 2017, 08:49 AM
Scholar of Things

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 266
Zaubkrieg Zaubkrieg Zaubkrieg

Skoll Feindjager

Skoll shadows Wilban back to camp, shifting himself back into human form just before entering, he looks around the camp and inclines his head to the others.
"Good morning all. Shall we be on our way?" he asks not mentioning his absence.

Stat Block

Old Jun 15th, 2017, 08:57 AM
Paladin of God

Tools
User Statistics
Vortel looks at the druid and gnome who finally wander back into camp, "There you two are! I see you found the gnome, anything interesting happen?" he asks as he packs his final few possessions before shouldering his backpack. Looking out at the far road ahead of them with his hand covering the rising sun, he finally suggests, "Anyways, we should head off to town so you two can finish up your night's rest since you guys didn't get a very long rest."

Last edited by Xalos; Jun 15th, 2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People  

Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
"Wilban!" Rydia smiles and sets down her book so that she can trot over and give the gnome a She will not push if he resists.hug. "Welcome back. What happened?"

Vortel makes a valid point, and Rydia rushes back to stuff her book in her pack before slinging it onto her back. "Shall we be off then? I for one am looking forward to a good meal in town tonight."

Last edited by Homestarbaby; Jun 15th, 2017 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Stat block
Closed Thread