Notices

Old Sep 14th, 2021, 08:05 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Forest
A beginning

I'm completely new to this. I probably need all the handholding I can get. Where does one begin?
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 09:32 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 75443
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Welcome!

First off, cool name. Good job grabbing that one. There's folks coming with tons of advice, but I will give a tiny bit.

Say Hi to me here. get another post. Go to the dice thread, post a couple more time, get at least 4 posts to your name, maybe five. wait for the next refresh cycle of our gerbils and their hamster wheels, and you will lose your newbie gold status, and can start to do a few more things. https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthread.php?t=141888

Figure out what kind of game(s) you like to play. Me, I am a Pathfinder guy who just discovered Spheres of Power. I may never go back. Wow.

Once you know what you want to explore, go to the New Player Solo Game area, and apply for a game... that will get you a mentor (someone volunteering to hand hold you).

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4923

In the meantime.. ask questions here. It helps get to know us, and raises your post count.

happy gaming!
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 09:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 43255
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Welcome to the club chummer!

I'll second Admin Dirk's call for the new player solo game! You'll select one of eight systems (I recommend D&D5 as it's the most popular game around and pretty easy to pick up) and you'll be assigned your own private GM Mentor to show you the ropes and run your first adventure with you. I can't recommend them highly enough.

So, how'd you find out about our little slice of internet heaven? Do you know someone here already? Or was it just a trusty Google search?

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 10:12 PM
The bird with the words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12838
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Welcome! I think you've got enough general advice to chew on, so let's just say hi on top of all else. What brought you here? Was there anything in particular you were looking forward to playing?
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 11:06 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Forest
I came across RPG Crossing a few years ago. I wanted to get into it and explore but life threw a wrench and life moved on for a while. In my youth D&D was heavily frowned upon by the faith community I was in. I later learned that their view on the subject was from ignorance and fear unfortunately. At any rate, my interest going in is very basic. I want to gain knowledge of basic D&D and have fun. The only other specific thing that interests me is the Serenity world as I am a fan of the Firefly series.

I'll work on getting my gold status removed. Give my best and thanks to the gerbils.
Old Sep 14th, 2021, 11:38 PM
What canst thou say?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28029
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Welcome, Forest. I think Admin Dirk covered the essentials.

I just want to encourage you to explore and play in the way that brings you most enjoyment. There are all sorts of systems and games on here and some might not be your cup of tea while others will capture your interest. You can always read through the game threads for an idea of the possibilities of play on this site. When I first joined, I spent a lot of time looking over the Hall of Fame games, and that gave me a good overview and an idea of how I wanted to move forward.

Best wishes and hope to see you around the site!
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 04:34 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28862
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Goodmorning Forest

~ it's not a question where to begin because you already started your adventure ~
By making that first post :-)

Welcome over here and a +1 to all the warm welcomes before me and the good advice already be given. Have you decided what system of roleplay you want to use on your exploration?

please check out our Solo Games a private luxury DM will be included for free
~ sloooooowly starting up again ~
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 08:09 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Forest
I need help choosing a system. I have nothing to go on here. I'm seeing 3.5e, Pathfinder, 4e, 5e, 13th Age, Call of Cthulhu, and Traveller as NPSG options. I suppose for simplicity let's narrow it down to the D&D systems of 3.5e, 4e, and 5e. What are the differences? What's best for newbie?
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 08:15 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 43255
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
I recommend D&D5 as it's easy to learn and it's also the most popular game here on the site. We also have the most GMs for it meaning the lines are usually shorter

That's a win win in my book
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 08:19 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Forest
Yeah I was doing some reading about the different systems. Learned Pathfinder is a D&D system too. And was leaning towards 5e as it sounded the easiest to pickup. Your comments clench it. Thank you Imveros.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 12:15 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 75443
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Pathfinder is a great system, it's the best system... but it's complicated to learn. Steeeeeep learning curve, even steeeeeeeeeeper mastery curve.

5e is much easier to pick up and learn, for sure
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 01:04 PM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28862
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Team 5E ;-)

please check out our Solo Games a private luxury DM will be included for free
~ sloooooowly starting up again ~
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 12:39 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3675
Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus
Welcome, Forest! Can't go wrong with D&D5E .

I hope you find some fun games to join on the site!
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 03:26 PM
Belle-Sprout

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20537
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Hey there, Forest! Welcome to the site. I agree with others-- what a great name grab! Usually elegant usernames like that are taken up early on, so it's nice to see a cool name show up nowadays. I went ahead and checked, and even though Forest was free (until you took it), there are a TON of people with "tree" in their username. What I'm saying is...

... they missed the Forest for the trees.

Welp, that's all the cleverness I have for today, and it wasn't even that much. If you've got any questions, let us know! We're happy to help.

Iron DM 2021 is open for entries!
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 08:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 870
Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko
Welcome to the RPG Crossing Forest! Start with D&D 5e then branch out as you get comfortable and find things you want to explore!