RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 02:56 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2324
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Application
left-aligned image

Name: Claude Maximillian Overton Transpire Dibbler
Alignment: Lawful Neutral.
Race: Human (Silver Tongued: Human are often adept at subtle manipulation and putting even sworn foes at ease. Humans with this trait gain a +2 bonus on Diplomacy and Bluff checks. In addition, when they use Diplomacy to shift a creature’s attitude, they can shift up to three steps up rather than just two. This racial trait replaces skilled.Silver Tongued)
Appearance: While (technically) Human, he strongly resembles some kind of rodent and wears a long poachers coat that is covered in pockets. He is usually seen carrying a tray or pushing a barrow or cart (unless he has persuaded some other poor sod to carry it for him) filled with whatever he has picked up that he thinks he can reasonably flog to the next gullible soul!
Background:

Personality: Greedy, Mercantile, not evil or cruel but a true Businessman, will exaggerate an item or services worth to the point of ridiculousness, but he will honour every contract, just make sure you read the small print!
Motivation: Dibbler is a simple man with a simple dream, and that dream is to own enough Gold Coins to drown a city! Obtaining wealth and putting himself in a position where he can obtain more wealth, is his primary concern. Of course, being alive to horde it, and having living people around to trade with, will certainly filter their way into his thinking as well!
Connections: Warden Groahne, the greedy warden of a debtors prison. Has a deal going where CMOT will have a prisoner released for a set time, so they have the opportunity to work off their debts to whoever they owe them to.
Experience with Carrion Crown: Minimal, I played part of the first Adventure when it first came out, but the game/group broke up before the end.
How I'm attempting to be a benefit to the party: Social/Diplomacy skills (I have a feeling that we may have to talk our way out of/through many of the encounters of this Campaign. Extra hands to help us out (through Followers and Cohorts, purchased/caught/trained animals, and perhaps later on the Beastmastery Sphere). Over the course of the game, Economic and money making, to help the party gain resources/items they could not normally afford at their level(s).
Weapon Proficiency: Sling (uses rocks, anything else is literally throwing money away)
Feat: You gain two character traits of your choice. These traits must be chosen from different lists, and cannot be chosen from lists from which you have already selected a character trait. You must meet any additional qualifications for the character traits you chooseAdditional Traits: Whenever you are wearing clothing and/or jewelry worth at least 150 gp (and not otherwise covered in gore, sewage, or other things that mar your overall look), you gain a +1 trait bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks. One of these skills (Diplomacy) is a class skill for you.Extremely Fashionable, You gain a +2 trait bonus on Diplomacy checks to influence hostile or unfriendly creatures, and if you fail at such an attempt, you may retry it once.Patient Optimist
Human Bonus Feat: Follower Package.Extra Combat Talent: Leadership
Flaw: (-2 to every skill check or attack roll till the end the next round after failing a Skill check, unless it is re-rolling that check)Mark of Slavery
Major Drawback: (-1 Hit Point per level)Frail
Feat from Major Drawback: Expanded Leadership: Cohort PackageExtra Combat Talent
Traits: Your years of hard work have paid off, granting you an additional 150 gp in starting wealth.On the Payroll, Your starting money increases by 900 gpChosen Child
Notable Purchases:
Sleeves of Many Garments
Wagon, complete with horses to pull it.
Guard dogs

CMOT Dibbler's Ability Scores:
Str 8, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 15(17)

Last edited by triedtherest; Mar 15th, 2021 at 09:36 AM.
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 03:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 397
bookworm bookworm bookworm bookworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
Yes, the progression option is fine. Does that mean you get a tradition?

Legendary talents (and by extension, advanced talents) on a case by case basis.
No tradition, you have to trade away martial or exotic weapon proficiency from your class to gain that (third paragraph here) so we're all ineligble.

I'd like to take the legendary talent Constructor from the Leadership sphere. I'd be taking the alternate ratfolk trait Familial Ties to gain the Leadership Sphere, along with the Construct Controller Drawback to restrict my ability to recruit followers to constructs only. I think it fits thematically within the setting, and my character concept of a ratfolk "alchemist" experimenting with science and magic. The power level is balanced with additional limitations to constructs compared to normal cohorts.
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 03:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4056
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
@Erimine, fixed. That +1 was was from an earlier iteration which was pure fighter. The possibility of Basic Magical Training => Advanced Magical Training persuaded me that there could be some scalable magic even if it is tiny compared to a normal build.
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 05:12 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
Novawurmson Novawurmson
I will post a real response later, but as a Terry Pratchett lover whose wife is watching a lot of Voyager, these submissions are great (no promises about who I'll actually select, of course).
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 06:36 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Novawurmson Novawurmson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermine View Post
Would you allow a major drawback to get an extra feat? (I don't know what I'd take for my extra feat yet, but I'd be taking the Blatant major drawback)
Allowed with the following exception/restrictions:
Animal Animosity - Banned unless you're using the feat to take the Beastmastery sphere or similar. There just aren't enough animals in the campaign.
Land Legs - Banned. This ain't Skulls and Shackles.
Magically Inept - Banned.
Nearsighted - Banned.
Slow Runner - Banned.
Spell Futility - I'm going to allow it with a gentleman's agreement that you take a Sphere (or other spellcasting ability) that is primarily offensive and allows spell resistance.
Farsighted - Requires a Strength of at least 14
Spell Vulnerability - Must be taken with the Necromancy or Enchantment schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
I'd like to take the legendary talent Constructor from the Leadership sphere. I'd be taking the alternate ratfolk trait Familial Ties to gain the Leadership Sphere, along with the Construct Controller Drawback to restrict my ability to recruit followers to constructs only. I think it fits thematically within the setting, and my character concept of a ratfolk "alchemist" experimenting with science and magic. The power level is balanced with additional limitations to constructs compared to normal cohorts.
This is acceptable with the following caveat: You will only be able to take the talent once (i.e. you can't take it twice to get intelligent constructs. Just to make sure we're on the same page, the bonuses and penalties around recruiting a new cohort will continue to apply (instead of difficulty in finding a cohort, it's difficulty in finding the right tools and supplies). Some of the campaign takes place in more rural areas, and some of it takes place in more urban areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCanCook View Post
[FIELDSET="Questions"]

A few questions:
* Could "major drawback" (like Ermine) be used to take Basic Magical Training
* Then us "trade out standard feat progression for a talent progression" --> like bookworm above, but swap out 1, 5, 9, 13, 17 => Proficient progression, with all the talent purchases being Magical Talent not Combat Talent.
* Then with Advanced Magical Talent taken at 3rd level, the character progresses like a 1/3rd power mage.
-Yes, any feat.
-Unfortunately, I'm going to have to go combat talent progression only, as written.
-You could use your level 1 feat for Basic Magical Training and your bonus from a drawback for Advanced Magical Training (or wait until 3).
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 08:05 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1466
Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine
So Blatant is an acceptable Major Drawback?

Edit: You don't have to answer if it's a yes, which it probably is.

I do hope everyone who's applied so far gets in~ just have to hope not many others show up so the choice is easier.

Last edited by Ermine; Mar 4th, 2021 at 09:43 AM.
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 10:00 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4056
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
OK -- Six will take Oblivious (-2 perception and other stuff), and magic will be an extremely minor theme then with more investment going into combat. I'll finish her up later.
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 10:13 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Right now, Se uses magic to summon a weapon and has a veil that gives natural armor (in addition to her extra HP trait), so she's fairly heavily combat, but will expand into more magic later.

Edit: I'm thinking of maybe switching to Destruction instead of Blood. I probably will. It makes more sense for a pure caster.
Edit 2: I did switch.

Last edited by Ermine; Mar 6th, 2021 at 06:40 AM.
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 11:59 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Novawurmson Novawurmson
Would it cause anyone interested a problem if I moved up the final day to 3/12, decision day on 3/13? I don't want to rush anyone or prevent someone from applying.
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 12:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Wouldn't bother me at all. I just hope we have enough people for it by then.
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 05:08 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2324
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermine View Post
Wouldn't bother me at all. I just hope we have enough people for it by then.
I agree with both points.
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 07:29 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I'll have the basics of mine up later this evening, with some extra details added over the week so the new deadline should be fine.
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 11:34 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10460
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Hey, since you are allowing a lot of 3rd party stuff, would you allow a custom race built using the ARG rules? Not trying to create something overly powerful, but I have a fun character concept for an awakened cat.

For your consideration:
Awakened Cat
Type:Magical Beast? RP
Size:Tiny4 RP
Base Speed:Normal (30’)0 RP
Ability Scores:+4 Dex; +2 Int, Wis, Cha; -2 Str& Con4 RP
Languages:Standard 0 RP
Lucky, LesserBenefit: +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.2 RP
ClimbBenefit: climb speed of 20 feet, +8 racial bonus on Climb checks2 RP
ClawsBenefit: two claw natural attacks; damage based on size (1d2)2 RP
Low-Light Vision 1 RP
 TOTAL15RP

Mew (and Mrrowr)
right-aligned image
art by Diego Cunha

Name: Mew

Race: see above (subject to change)Awakened Cat

Age: actual number depends on whether we rule awakened cats to have a lifespan more comparable to humanoids, or if they are the same as ordinary catsMiddle-aged

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Experience with Carrion Crown: None whatsoever.

Description:
Appearance:Mew is a mostly white short-haired house-cat, though spots of deepest black stand out in sharp contrast to his snow white coat, including a large patch around one eye, a "saddle" across his back, and a mischievous little speck that dots the side of his otherwise pink nose. He stands about 9 inches tall, with a lean, wiry body. His wide golden eyes gleam with an intelligence and a curiosity that can be a little unnerving when his stare seems to look directly through others. His tail is longer than average for his size and seems to be eternally swishing about as though it had a mind of its own. His small, triangular ears are ever-alert, twitching and swiveling at the slightest sound.

Mrrowr is a young human female of about 16 with auburn hair. She has wide, expressive eyes that display an almost feline intelligence. Some of the (more tolerable) humans that Mew has interacted with have told him that Mrrowr would be considered rather comely for her species, but it's hard for Mew to really judge that objectively.

Personality Mew is an independent loner who sometimes comes off as a bit of a gruff misanthrope. He particularly has little patience for most humans, other than his former "partner" Rhiamon, and his familiar Mrrowr. Mew thinks of Mrrowr as more than just a pet, she is pretty much like a member of the family. He has a paternal affection for her and is fiercely protective of her. He is not particularly fond of other people though, and is not shy about it. Humans in particular are always so loud, messy, and seem like they can never sit still. They're basically giant, hairless kittens that never grew up. He lives with the frustration of knowing that he is often the smartest one in the room, and is almost never recognized as such. This has led to a never-ending disdain for stupidity that typically manifests itself through a biting sarcasm.

Mrrowr is a loving and faithful pet who enjoys nothing more than to have her master curl up in her lap. Being a human raised by a cat, she doesn't always fit in well with other humans, who find her behavior a little ... odd. She is very curious about her human heritage and about their bizarre customs, though she is also rather shy to interact with other humans and feels as if she is constantly being judged for not knowing their strange ways.

Background:
BackgroundMew was once the familiar to a powerful human witch named Rhiamon. Rhiamon was a reclusive hermit who lived alone in a cottage in the middle of the dark forest, her only companions were Mew and her communion with the powerful forces of her patron. Eventually Rhiamon used the powerful magics at her disposal to awaken Mew so that she might better relate to her only living companion.

One day, Mew noticed a strange change had begun to occur in his human friend. Rhiamon’s belly grew large with child. This seemed rather strange to Mew, since he had never seen her with interact another of her kind, but the child was brought to her by her shadowy patron. Sadly, what first appeared to be a great blessing soon turned tragic. It was a complicated pregnancy and Rhiamon did not survive the birthing process.

Mew vowed to care for the child, who served as a reminder to him of his faithful friend, Rhiamon. Mew named the young girl Mrrowr and raised her as if she were his own kitten. Over time, it gradually became apparent that even in the absence of Rhiamon, Mew mysteriously remained connected to the arcane forces that had once bound him to the witch. Mrrowr herself turned out to be a sweet, endearing, but relatively simple and naive girl. Luckily, she had Mew to look out for her; otherwise she would be hopelessly lost.

Motivation:
MotivationThe one thing Mew cares about more than anything is his adopted human daughter Mrrowr. He would be willing to sacrifice anything to keep her safe.

Connection:
ConnectionMew has only ever felt a deep connection with two people: his departed mistress Rhiamon’s (the only person he ever respected) and his adopted daughter Mrrowr (the only person he has ever loved). Other than that, he will say that he could really do with our people and be fine. Of course, what he will never admit is that underneath all of his misanthropic facade, he has a soft spot for outcasts and orphans and will generally always look out for a true underdog (despite the terribly unfortunate term).

Build Notes:
Build Notes
Stats
Str8 -2(size) -2(racial) -1(age)3
Dex14 +2(size) +4(racial) -1(age)19
Con13 -2(racial) -1(age)10
Int15 +2(racial) +1(age)18
Wis10 +2(racial) +1(age)13
Cha12 +2(racial) +1(age)15

Traits: assuming this is compatible with spheres casting.Inspire by Greatness(campaign) Intimidate is always a class skill for you, and you may use your Intelligence modifier when making Intimidate checks instead of your Charisma modifier.Bruising Intellect(other)
Flaw: You cast no shadow whatsoever. Under normal lighted conditions, creatures that succeed at a DC 15 Wisdom check notice it plainly (an additional Perception check may be required based on environmental conditions). This telltale sign of wickedness cannot be concealed by misdirection, nondetection, or illusions, except those that also affect shadows (such as invisibility)Umbral Unmasking
Major Drawback: You suffer a -2 all Strength-based skill and ability checks, and cannot take 10 with such checks. You also suffer a -1 penalty to your CMD.Nonathletic
Feats: Basic Magic Training, Advanced Magic Training

HP:6 +1(FCB) = 7
Skills: 2 +4(int) +2(bkgrd)

Last edited by rhaiber; Mar 9th, 2021 at 09:16 AM.
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 06:35 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I...kinda wanna see the cat?

"Its type becomes magical beast (augmented animal)." Per the awaken spell.

Last edited by Ermine; Mar 9th, 2021 at 06:40 AM.
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 06:49 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Application
left-aligned image
Credit: Steve Wood Games (@stevewoodgames on twitter)
Name: Nikola Rackov
Race: Ratfolk (Alchemical Dabbler, Cleanliness, and Familial Ties alternate racial traits)
Class: Commoner 1 (proficient with daggers, Feats for Adept talent progression)
Campaign Trait: Teacher's Pet (Knowledge (engineering))

Party Role: Damage & healing with the alchemy sphere; knowledge skills; crafting alchemical items for party use e.g. to bypass energy resistance, heal, cure conditions; splash weapons (target touch AC and don’t need proficiency); construct will soak up some damage and buff everyone's defenses through the Shield Sphere

Appearance & Personality: Those encountering Nikola for the first time are likely to come away with one of two very different impressions, though their intelligence and love of research shows in both.

When away from their research and laboratory they present as a bit of dandy, and rather accustomed to a comfortable life within the university. Nikola dresses quite finely in clothes with a formal cut and elaborately patterned fabrics not usually seen on true formal wear. Their speech mirrors their clothes, with proper, but unnecessarily extensive and elaborate, manners on display and often long explanations of their current line of research.

The other impression is one of a rather reckless and eccentric researcher. While within their laboratory they wear thick leathers as protection from the dangerous reagents they work with, evident in the stains and damage across the surface. The face protection obscures their expressions and limits visibility, issues Nikola has adapted to simply by using expansive gestures to communicate and getting real close to anything they’re studying.

Connection: Nikola remains in contact with Solyce who is still in service to Pharasma at the Gravecharge Cathedral in Lepidstadt. As when they first met she is a great support for Nikola, and in some ways has taken up a parental role to fill the lack in Nikola’s life.

Motivation: Nikola has two primary motivations. Their curiosity drives them to investigate and find (or create) situations to test out their experiments. The early loss of their family also means they highly value any friendship they have and will go out of their way to aid them. This care is also extended to the families of those friends, and Nikola’s intentions at the start of the game would include offering help to Professor Lorrimor’s family and friends as well as attending the funeral.
BackgroundNikola was born to the Keres clan who ran a trade ship along the Lesser Moutray River in Ustalav, mostly travelling between Lepidstat and Courtaud. They were still young enough to not be allowed to wander the deck unsupervised when the Keres clan set sail for the final time. During the trip a sudden, intense rainfall caused a flooded the river, and while skilled enough to keep the ship on course, they were unable to fight off the drowned dead that rose along with the flood waters.

Nikola’s survival was pure chance. First they were knocked overboard and managed to cling to some debris as they were swept away from the ship, unnoticed by the undead. Secondly they were only stranded for two days before rescued by a passing ship. Solyce, a Pharasman cleric, was aboard and took care of Nikola while the ship completed it’s journey to Lepidstadt.

Nikola’s grief and uncertainty about their future drove them deep into the basic education and lessons Solyce arranged, as if the answers could be found in their books. Their raw intelligence and hard work soon saw them qualify for study at the Lepidstat University. Among the academics there they found something similar to the community of the clan they came from. In particular Professor Lorrimor was a seemingly neverending source of stories and strange curios. He spent some time championing Nikola to the university staff, opening up opportunities for research that would have been unavailable otherwise.

Since Professor Lorrimor’s retirement Nikola has significantly advanced their pet project, a construct running on a combination of mechanical engineering, alchemy, and magic. Nikola had hoped to demonstrate it to him, and is deeply disappointed they were unable to complete it before his death. Still they’ve arranged for it to crated up and transported with them, perhaps one of Professor’s Lorrimor’s friends will be interested.
OOCExperience with Carrion Crown: I've no previous experience with this campaign, though plenty with Pathfinder 1e.

Construct Cohort: Happy to accept to the limitations placed on that. I've written up the adjusted text for utilizing construct cohorts in the below spoiler buttons for you to review and ensure we're on the same page. Mostly would like a check on the modifiers for recruiting cohorts so I know which definitely apply (in the Recruiting a Construct spoiler button). Also can I utilize the recruit action to repair my existing, but damaged construct? It's a flavor adjustment rather than anything mechanical.

Custom Races: Is it possible to set a range or specific number for racial points so we can adjust our racial traits to be in roughly the same power range?

Practitioner Modifier: Just noticed as I was double checking my mechanics, but without a class specifying a Sphere Practitioner Modifier the default one is Wisdom. I'd been assuming I could choose one of the mental ability scores, and obviously was going with Intelligence. Would you allow me to use Intelligence for my Practitioner modifier? There's no existing way to do it in Spheres of Might, but Spheres of Power does allow you to change your Casting Modifier through the Unorthodox Casting trait so we might be able to apply that? (Or you might feel that my character concept is sufficient justification to make it Intelligence without having to spend a trait?)

Pre-Game Crafting: Can I craft some alchemical items prior to the game and stretch my starting funds a bit further?

Statblocks - IN PROGRESS

Details on Mechanical Build

Last edited by bookworm; Mar 13th, 2021 at 05:57 AM.