Notices

Old 09-01-2019, 07:43 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 202
Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia
Copyrights

As written, the rules against copyrighted material seem quite stringent. As I read them, the only images one can use are those one draws oneself.

Just being sure: does this mean I can't use resources I purchased of Drive-Thru RPG or elsewhere? What about comment released under the Creative Commons license? Or the free maps available from Dyson's Dodecahedron, or a number of other places? It's all copyrighted. Does that mean I can't use it?

Forgive me for wishful thinking. I'm just hoping I can use some of it when I get around to DMing, because my art skills are rudimentary, to say the least.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:32 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6394
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
You need to look at the copyright information for the materials purchased to confirm. A lot of adventures allow for use of images and maps for purchased material.

Fair use comes into effect, but the laws on it don't seem to be very straight forward.
Be careful.
Read the copyright.
Check if it is open source.

The actual rules on our site are put into effect to limit the chance of a larger company coming after use - we are purely voluntary and donation based so would be squidged easily. This would close us down and leave thousand of rporphans, so we avoid.

-me
Old 09-04-2019, 08:33 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 202
Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia
Thanks for the reply, and please know that I hear you. Nobody wants to precipitate a lawsuit. One request for clarification, and I'll drop the subject:

What about purchased assets? I'm talking about using the maps from the old Judge's Guild books (Villages Books 1&2, Castles Books 1&2, Islands... all still copyrighted, of course) in a homebrew campaign.

It's what they're meant for, and I'm not publishing the adventure for profit. It would be the digital equivalent of copying a single sheet, handing it to my players and saying "Okay, here's the village."

And what about digital map creation assets? That would seem to be even more straightforward: I bought them, I can prove it and they're intended for use in on-line role playing.

Of course, this is your site (the volunteers who run it, that is) and nobody wants to make trouble, or to come off as a possible troublemaker. Just trying to suss out the rules, here. I've noticed in the campaigns I'm reading that lots of folks don't use any assets at all, and it seems to work.

Last edited by Exfilia; 09-04-2019 at 08:34 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-04-2019, 02:41 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6394
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
Most of those maps allow usage, read the copyright information and it is likely allows usage.

-me