RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Other Roleplaying Games > Star Frontiers: End of Darkness
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 09-08-2018, 09:39 PM
dilige et quod vis fac

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7893
ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb
To be honest I'm not 100% on how, or even if, the ability scores interact with skills.

Or how raising them works, for that matter. When buying them at char-creation, they're paired off, right? So if you raise a score, do you trade 1xp for a point in both the paired attributes, or just one?

Then, when it comes to making checks with them, they just count as general aptitude scores (I guess) related to skill "areas" (wobbly terminology because wobbly understanding )?

But, raw abilites don't actually contribute to success chances if you're rolling using a specific skill (as they might in, say, the original Fallout's SPECIAL system)?

Last edited by ByronBulb; 09-08-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1683
-Wyvern- -Wyvern- -Wyvern- -Wyvern- -Wyvern- -Wyvern- -Wyvern- -Wyvern- -Wyvern- -Wyvern- -Wyvern-
Neilís philosophy is to try to never roll dice because the system is so wanky
Old 09-09-2018, 12:01 AM
dilige et quod vis fac

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7893
ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb ByronBulb
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wyvern-
...the system is so wanky
This is my attitude to life in general.

Last edited by ByronBulb; 09-09-2018 at 12:05 AM. Reason: attitude
Old 09-09-2018, 12:25 PM
Once more unto the breach

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11220
zebedee zebedee zebedee zebedee zebedee zebedee zebedee zebedee zebedee zebedee zebedee
That said, check out Neil's character sheet. He's done a great job of listing all the skills and what the success threshold is - including which stats are in play. Combat skills rely on Str or Dex. It looks like nothing else does, so it's just my character's bias to put points into stats. When you improve a stat with xp, it's just the one "half" stat. So Thom has 80 Dex and 50 RS, because all his shooting depends on his Dex.

You're better off pumping skills, unless you want to dump some into Dex to have a better chance to hit something with a gun.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:01 PM
Jackie Paper's big fan.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2745
Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil Neil
Gratz Kap - stress now but sooo much better than having to deal with prolonged uncertainty.

Howdie BB.

xp - hmm. I rp the things.

If my character gets shot and survives or escapes a harsh environment I put a point in stamina. If it gets a promotion or something I put a point in leadership. Stuff like that.

Skill I treat similarly - develop what is used.

I also allow the character space to develop as it would like rather than the way life has dealt its cards - say 50:50 what Gary wants and what Gary gets. There is down time is space for study I guess and one tends to learn more easily that which interests one (even if it doesn't come naturally - wrong skill group).

As to a reserve for 'story mods'. I kind of rp these too. When Gary has a few on hand I play him as full of ideas and energy. When he is low play him as well, the other way. I think in terms of enough points on hand to upgrade a skill = full of beans.

I rarely use them in story but that still means I use them more than most. They aren't for rerolls, I think of them as a way of getting a bonus at a crucial moment so spending on does not guarantee an outcome! Naturally one is expected to rp the situation and explain why in story a bonus applies.

I used one to turn a blaster into a grenade by 'over loading' its clip or something. I used one to demolish a door with limited explosives (discovered the wall was weaker than the door). It's license to make things up that give an advantage.