Game Thread Chapter 1: Shores to Freeze the Soul - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Hall of Fame > Hall of Fame Games > Previous Inductees > 2014 > True Damnation > Archives
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Dec 12th, 2012, 11:28 AM
yvan eht nioj

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9628
irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777
"No worries. It just would have been a shame if this was over before we started." he responded to Hiracin. He then looked back and saw the crew standing there, all of them in awe... except Zaeed. Glimpsing back over at Hiracin as he brought attention to the boots, the Treasure Hunter counldn't help but give them a once over.

"Duncan!" Sev was back in Captain mode. "You and Chawkwas tend the wounded. Get Adams up here with a spare sail, better bring The a pet name for Donnoly and Daniels from the crew, since the two are nigh inseparable.Double D's as well! Tell him... 'My bad.' " Sev was just thankful that he didn't have to set his ship on fire. "AND someone sweep my deck. I don't want this thing stinking up my ship when it thaws out." Duncan went about issuing orders on Sev's behalf, which usually started with “A'right, you heard the Cap'n! Get moving!”

Camera focuses on the Would-be-KingAfter shouting orders, Duncan and Chawkwas do what they were told and run over to Hiracin and Don. "A'right Kingsy, just set those damn boots down and take a seat, would ya?" Duncan forces Hiracin to sit and he begins doing his magic. His first attempt falters a bit as the cold chill still hasn't left Hiracin. A warm glow eminates from his hand and Hiracin can feel some life return to his fingers and toes, but the sluggishness is still there. "Hey, Doc. You're going to need to look to this."

Chawkwas walks over, after looking Don over. "My goodness. You're going to need to warmed up, quickly. Get him back inside. I'll bring some embers from the captains cabin."

Sev handed off the oil lamp to one of the crew and sheathed his dagger. He looked over at the women and gave a nod, making sure they were okay and showing them he was okay too. Walking past the wounded men, Sev headed towards the bow, looking for the poor soul who this thing had stumbled on. The sad part was, there wasn't anything the guy could have done, not against something like that. It wouldn't have mattered who it was, Sev just hoped it wasn't one of the crew he liked. Finally, a shadowy lump showed itself.

Sev reached down and felt for a pulse. The man's skin still frozen to the touch. Turning the body over, Sev could see who it was... he let out a long drawn out sigh. "Ah feck it... it got Jenkins. Poor kid." Sev took a moment. He saw a lot of himself in the kid and had some high hopes for him. Also, even though the beast was slain, and this was a victory, losing part of the crew always hit morale. The May Bree would be pretty sober for the next wee while. “For the toll.” he said to himself while he placed a copper coin over each eye. “We need a stretcher up here.”

Last edited by irishking7777; Dec 13th, 2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Lanthanoid

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33395
Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium
"Jenkins? No! Don't be Jenkins..." Jenna's voice trailed off as she saw that the creature's victim was, in fact, Jenkins. She had gotten to know Jenkins better than the rest of the crew, as happens when two people share crow's nest duty enough times. She had shared stories of her adventures on other planes, and he had told her of his dreams and of Maria, his betrothed back home. He had said that one day soon they would be married.

After one shift where the two of them had had a particularly deep conversation, Jenna spent two entire days in her room, pondering. Jenkins had been such good company and seemed like such a sweet man that she wanted to try something for him. Anyone who had peered in on her in that time would have seen her eyes glowing from sheer concentration as her mind churned, looking for ways to make her powers work in her favor. Finally she hit on the right timing. On Jenkins's next day off, Jenna pounced on him, grinning from ear to ear. "Come to my room with me. If you will trust me, I think I have a surprise for you." Not waiting for a response, Jenna dragged him below deck.

Jenkins looked at Jenna, confused. "What's going on?"

"I'm almost 100% positive I can let you talk to Maria from here for a short time, if you like. But you're going to have to let me into your mind for it to work. Do you want to?"

"Yes! Really? Yes! The other men'll be thrilled to hear that you can do that!"

"No no no! Look, I can't promise it'll work at all, but if it does, it'll only work with you right now, and that because we've gotten to know each other. That creates a powerful connection between people without need for any psychic ability. I haven't really spent much time with the other crewmen, and them wanting this from me will hinder that connection enough that it could block this entirely. This is basically a one-shot deal for you that will be incredibly difficult to try, might not work at all, and will be really tough to ever set up a second time without days of preparation that we may not have. Still wanna go through with it?"

"For a chance to talk to Maria? A thousand times yes! What do I do?"

Jenna smiled at her friend's enthusiasm. "First, take a deep breath. Nothing is so tense as a person in love, but I need you to relax a bit." Jenkins takes a few deep breaths and appears calmer. "Good, now you need to think about Maria, and you need to keep thinking about her. What she looks like is good, but memories and conversations you two have shared – and make sure they're something you would discuss in public unashamed – are better. You're going to feel me enter your mind, and it'll feel weird, but just ignore it and keep focusing on Maria. You're going to have keep this up for a good 10-20 minutes without stopping. Ready?" Jenkins nodded and shut his eyes. After 30 seconds, Jenna shut hers as well.

Jenkins's mind proved easy to enter. He really is a good man, thought Jenna. Waiting for Jenna inside Jenkins's mind was a beautiful, petite girl of 17 or so, with luxurious brown hair, big, sparkling eyes, and a friendly smile that made Jenna wish she knew the girl personally. Maria was wearing a simple blue dress with a white apron over it; it was clear she was the daughter of a poor farmer.

Jenna watched as Maria laughed in response to something someone had said; she was clearly conversing with Jenkins about a barn dance to be held the next evening. Jenna widened the mental picture, confirming this, as Jenkins stood there wearing a clean but inexpensive suit and holding flowers. Maria took the flowers from him and put them in a vase. Widening the scene a bit further revealed Maria's parents. They were both blurry, as Jenkins's attention was clearly focused on his love, but the impression Jenna got was that Maria's parents clearly approved of what was happening.

The scene changed to the dance the next evening, and the couple remained in each other's arms all evening, sometimes talking about the present, sometimes about the future, and sometimes saying nothing at all, but just enjoying each other's presence. Jenna was soon able to learn that Maria was exceedingly kind and patient, very much wanted to be a mother and keep a home, and had a near-paralyzing fear of mice.

After she had gotten enough of a picture of Maria's personality, she sent out most of her mind for the most difficult part of the task. She new the name of the area, and thanks to her travels was able to pinpoint it quickly. Finding Maria's house was also simple enough. It was the middle of the night there, and Maria was asleep. This worked to Jenna's advantage. It was usually necessary to know the person one was trying to contact telepathically. Jenna's theory was that if there was enough of a connection to the mind of someone who did know the target, and if the connection could be kept while searching for the target, it might be possible for Jenna to use herself as a conduit between the two. Maria's slumber made her mind easier to penetrate, and with a bit of work and a lot of concentration, she was in Maria's mind without losing her connection to Jenkins.

Maria, wake up. My name is Jenna Ulrich. I'm on the May Bree, and I have Jenkins with me.

Although Jenna couldn't see it, Maria sat straight up in bed. "Who's there?"

Maria, do you hear me? I'm going to let Jenkins talk to you. In Jenkins's mind, Jenna's command was clear: "Say something to her!"

Maria, my darling, can you hear me?

Is it really you, my love? Or is this a dream? How can you be in my mind?

I- I don't know. Jenna, part of the group that hired us out, is a telepath. She made this happen somehow. I miss you so much!

I miss you, too! I can't believe it's really you! When are you coming home, love?

I don't know, baby. Captain told me the other day that he saw a lot of potential in me, and this trip should pay really-

Darling? Are you still there? Your voice was cut off!

Jenna cut in. The power is limited in how much can be said at once, and I feel the connection starting to fade. Say your good-byes while you can.

The next time I come home, it might be for good – and with enough to finally make you my wife! I love you, Maria, with all my heart.

I love you, too, and will be counting the days until I see y—

Silence. The connection between all minds was broken.

Jenkins opened his eyes to see Jenna, pale and sweating. "Are you okay? That didn't hurt you, did it?"

"It drained a great deal of psychic energy, but I'm in no pain."

"And th- that really happened? That was really Maria?"

Jenna smiled. "It was. I'm glad it worked. Keep it to yourself, though. It's my way of saying thank you for letting a girl with no experience on a ship feel welcomed. When are you on watch duty next?"

"Uh... Next sunrise, I think."

"See you then? I need to sleep now for a bit."

"Okay... And thank you!" Jenkins awkwardly grabbed her hand and kissed it before exiting her room, lighter than air.

A tear slid down Jenna's cheek as she remembered that day. Maria was going to be crushed; the two of them had seemed so perfect for each other. "I'm going back to bed," she mumbled, making her escape without waiting for a response. She felt absolutely drained. In her quarters, she collapsed into her hammock and was out almost instantly.

Last edited by Ytterbium; Dec 12th, 2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 04:29 PM
We're All Mad Here
Iron DM 2012  

Hall of Fame 2014

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20941
Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba
There are times when victory feels more akin to tragedy than triumph. The somber pall over the May Bree was a testament to this fact. Those eyes that remained dry did so at the cost of appearing empty and glazed. A crew member had died, his life's spark snuffed out by a calamity none could have predicted.

In these times, there are a few souls put on this world meant to persist, and help those along that would otherwise wallow in misery. One such soul shouldered his grief as he had done many times before, and saw to the well being of those still among the living. Captain Sev Black would surrender to his grief alone, and in his own way, when the time was right. When he would not weaken the resolve of those around him.

He did what any true captain would do: he became a fulcrum for the grief of his crew. Anyone caught moping about the deck was given extra chores. The deck of the ship was scrubbed clean. The sails mended more times than necessary, and the anchor polished to an unreasonable sheen. His men cursed his name and grumbled under their breath about mutiny, but more importantly, they didn't focus on the absence in the crow's nest, nor the extra seat at the dinners. Once the numbness set in, and each man could step back to view what had transpired with a whole mind, they found an even deeper love for their captain, who refused to let them defeat themselves. Most had come to this realization when Jenkin's body was put to sea.

However, there were those beyond Sev's reach. Hiracin slowly recovered from his physical wounds, the sluggishness in his limbs retreating before the healing administrations of Chawkwa. He would still awake from his restful sleep shivering, the cold embrace of the undead lingering in his dreams like a spector. Even though he still had a bit of recovery ahead of him, Hiracin insisted on being present for Jenkin's funeral. The man had lost his life because of Hiracin's own personal vendetta, and the man deserved at least the respect accorded to the undeserving dead.

Ki did all she could to help around the ship, choosing to ignore the listlessness that the death of a comrade often set upon the survivors. She had not known Jenkins particularly well, but she still felt the weight of his death. No one on the ship could avoid it. She felt it most at night though, when she pretended not to hear Sev's private grief. She gave Sev his privacy for these moments, knowing full well the damage she would cause if she offered a supporting shoulder. This was his turmoil, and his alone. Instead, she did the only thing she could think of, she stored the emotions of everyone around her inside, bottling it up for the right moment. That moment came at Jenkin's funeral. Unasked, but far from unwelcome, she began singing a dirge in the man's honor, the tone exactly capturing the emptiness left behind by his absence, and helping cauterize Jenkin's memory for every member of the ship.

Jenna took it the hardest, and her red, swollen eyes at the funeral were testament to that. There comes a bond beyond description when you share someone's thoughts, and it was only intensified by the intimate moment she had shared with Jenkins and his betrothed. Her sobs had been the only other sound during Ki's funeral dirge, and somehow, the two sounds had complimented each other perfectly.

As the floating pyre burned off in the distance, the May Bree continued inevitably onward, a strong message to all those aboard. Life will continue on, whether you want it to or not.

Jenna, alone in the now too spacious crow's nest, was replaying the events of the funeral in her mind once again, when something external drug her out of her reverie. Attentive once more, she squinted at the horizon. A faint sparkle where the sky met the sea. The harder she stared, the more she realized there was a dark blot now separating the sky and the sea that grew the longer the May Bree sailed on.

Land. Finally, land. Nihlus. The name made her shiver.

The sparkle she had seen gradually came into focus with an orange hue. Likely torchlight then. It looked as though Ki and Don's combined knowledge had been enough to guide them to their destination.

And knowing they were on the very threshold of the land she had only heard about, another shiver ran through her. This one soul deep.

OoCI took a few liberties here, hope ya'll don't mind. I'd like the first post to be Ytter's, informing Sev of spotting a town on the horizon. If any of you need to use Donovan in your posts, feel free to take all the liberties you'd like. He's now the group's NPC.

Oh... and welcome to Nihlus. I'm sure you'll love it....

Last edited by Toba; Dec 17th, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Lanthanoid

Tools
User Statistics
Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium Ytterbium
In the end, Jenna decided not to try and contact Maria. Let her enjoy the memory for as long as she can. She might think a message from me is a dream and spend months alternating between worry and hope, only to be crushed when the ship arrives in port. I am going to visit her someday, though. I can at least do that. She never told the party or the crew what had happened, and if Jenkins had blabbed, no one was approaching Jenna for details.

She took as many shifts in the crow's nest as she was given, although she always felt like she was going to miss whatever might come their way when she was up there alone. It was sad and quiet without Jenkins, and while the other crewmen assigned to watch duty were cordial, Jenna felt a bit of tension; whether this was just general fear of the scary mind reader or something more, she didn't know. She was no stranger to death, and after she had mourned, she soon enough put the silence at the top of the ship to good use. At one point years ago she had fiddled with splitting her mind in two. While she never pursued the power to its full usefulness, she had done just enough that it was easy for her to think and keep watch at the same time. It was thus that Jenna was lost in thought formulating new psionic theories and at first missed the black speck on the horizon. Soon enough, however, it caught her eye, and she quickly realized that the May Bree was approaching land.

Looking around, she saw that Sev was at the wheel. He always scolded her when he caught her flying between the deck and the crows nest, but Jenna was too excited by the prospect of something new to follow his silly rule.

Thwoooooooooooooommpf.

Jenna, in her enthusiasm, forgot to silence the power's display, and everyone on deck heard the noise and watched her fly out of the crows nest (making her feel a little self-conscious) down to Sev, who gave her a look. Before he could say anything, even before she had landed, Jenna called out, "There's land ahead! We've made it to Nihlus! Don't you have a saying for when you see land? 'Land yo' or something? Anyway, should I keep watching? I think there are torches. We should probably tell the others below deck."

Chatty Jenna was back.

OOCToba, I'm not sure there's a bigger liberty you can take than having Jenna successfully spot something.

Also, sorry if this is littered with typos. Work is running me ragged before this convention on Wednesday, and I can't see anymore.
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 05:50 AM
yvan eht nioj

Tools
User Statistics
irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777
"Jenna, what have I-" Sev's response was automatic, responding even before her words had registered. "Land you say!? Mr. Moreau, take the helm." The captain, along with some of the crew that was around to hear Jenna, rushed towards the bow. "Ahead you said?" He asked Jenna as he pulled out his spyglass from it's case.

Scanning the horizion, he finally spoted it. He wasn't sure if the sight brought him joy or worry. The sight seemed like something he would have read from Charles Dickens, Oscar Wilde, or Arthur Conan DoyleCharlie Cox, Ossy Wilder, or even King Arthur O'Doyle "Land Ho!" He shouted to the crew, looking at Jenna as if to say 'That's how you say it.' "Duncan, get ready to make port! Jenna, take this and get ready to guide us in from the nest." Sev handed the spyglass off to her. "And don't drop it. It's worth more than parts of the ship."

Jenna had become the defacto Crow's Watch since the loss of Mr. Jenkins. Every now and again Chooey would take it, if only to seperate him from Pressly. The old man was too invaluable to let go, so Sev put up with his occasional bouts of racisim, chalking it up to back in his day, that's just the way things were. Sev had collected Jenkin's personal affects from the crew quaters and had them stowed in his cabin. He looked through them and found many letters written to his sweet-heart back home. He figured he'd have to send them off to her with his own letter of bad news.

The crew set off to do their parts to ready the ship for docking, the dance was well practiced by now and most of them could do it in their sleep. Before Jenna left the group though, Sev grabbed her arm and took her aside. "I'm sure you are aware of this, but keep your powers under wraps around here. We can't be sure how people will react and you never know when you might need an ace. And someone get the Hiracin, Ki, and Donothers up here." He said aloud to whichever of the crew was listening.

As the crew got into the rhythm of furling and unfurling sails and winding and unwinding ropes in order to get the ship ready to make port, they began singing... "#Oooooh, oooh oohh ... ooooooooooh, ooooh oohh...# ". After one or two versus of this, Mr. Chambers added some lyrics.

"#Oooooooh, oooh oohh
ooooooooh, ooooh oohh

I dreamed a dream,
I dreamed a dream the other night.

*Lowlands, lowlands away my John

I dreamed a dream,
I dreamed a dream the other night.

Lowlands, lowlands away my John

My love, she came for me,
She came for me all dressed in white.

My love, she came for me,
She came for me all dressed in white.

Oooooooh, oooh oohh
ooooooooh, ooooh oohh
#"

Last edited by irishking7777; Jan 4th, 2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 11:07 PM
Ready for Battle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15243
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
Hiracin returned to his room. Alone. The strength had mostly returned to his body, but the song that had echoed in his heart had faded, gone on the wind as quickly as it had came: this was the aftereffects of such a powerful spell. Hiracin was shocked when he realized Jenkins had died. He hadn't been close to the man, not like Jenna had been, but he had still spent enough lazy afternoons with the crew to appreciate the man - and now his absence. I was too late. I should've moved faster, should've been louder. I failed, and now an innocent man has died - died for my damn cause. Hiracin was no stranger to survivor's guilt.

Luna was patiently waiting for him. I'm glad you waited - it wasn't the type of undead we're particularly good at. Encased in ice - that sort of thing. We haven't dealt with one of those since our little adventure from the other side of the Xin - and it was half the size of this one. Hiracin shivered, the cold embrace and memories of lingering thoughts returning to haunt him. It's grip had been cold, very cold. Chawkwa had given him an extra blanket, and he knitted himself a little nest on the floor in the corner, curling up with Luna. Despite being ordered to bed, he wanted to remind himself of the stiffness of death, the rigor which had settled upon Jenkins. How many more times will the angels come calling, before this is over? Sleep was cold - but then again, life was too.

Hiracin remained locked in his room, avoiding the company of the men, common and officers aliike. He recovered slowly but surely, but never returned to his bed. The only one who knew about Hiracin's sleeping habits was Don, but Hiracin asked him not to tell. As far as he knew, no one had been told; at the least, no one questioned him. Hiracin felt he had been slipping into the life of a noble - the life of a king. His punishment had been Jenkin's death. If he had been more alert he could've acted before the man had been endangered. Though he had spoke little, he had gathered the thumping preceeding the attack had gone on for a while before he awoke. It was a mistake he wouldn't let himself make again.

Hiracin didn't speak at the funeral. It wasn't his place to, there was nothing he could say or do to match the impact of Ki's song. There was nothing he could do for Jenna, either. Hiracin hadn't spent his life sticking around for funerals, and now he knew why. He never felt more useless. Like Luna, he had evolved into a hunter, but even with the monster slain he still wasn't able to prevent the tradegy that had occurred. So while Jenna, Kiriel, Sev, Donovan, and all the crew mourned, Hiracin mourned with them. But above all he cursed himself. He cursed hs weakness, his slowness, his incompetence. He cursed his inability to do anything to save the dead from death.

When the flames had disappeared, he returned to his solitude. He ate little, and spoke less; and death's shroud settled over him, the cold embrace of a man wh refused to live life to fullness, because others could not live at all. Because of him.

Hiracin heard Sev call "Land Ho!" and pulled himself from his memories. Alone from his room he made his way to the deck, Luna right behind him. This is it. We have arrived. Hiracin had been dwelling for recent days on the undead that had attacked them. They aren't just created. They are made. So who made it? Hiracin thought he knew the answer, but it wasn't a topic for conversation on the ship.

Hiracin composed himself. He had felt himself drawing nearer, and spurred by dreams had packed his belongings a few days before, always slinging the pack across his back whenever he left his room. He was ready. Looking out towards thhe horizon, he focused. There it was: land - a thin grey-blue streak of uneveness on a brighter blue ocean of vastness. Hiracin felt calm, unshakable, like a golem. She was out there. He was with her. His future, his very sanity, rested on two people he hadn't seen in over ten years.

Nihlus. We are here.
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 04:39 PM
Big Muscles

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36965
TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck
Kiriel found herself conflicted after Jenkins' untimely demise. During this trying time she would have liked nothing more than to have someone to hold and be held by, and she was certain that Sev would be willing to fill that role, even if it was for no other reason that it inched him that much closer to into her pants. But above all things Kiriel is empathetic, and it was clear to her that the Captain's grief was a private thing. So she didn't open the door, as it may have been slammed in her face simply due to a matter of timing.

Instead Kiriel does her best to slowly pull everyone out of their sadness filled funk. She doesn't get up in the crew's faces and be over cheerful or anything annoying like that. Instead it's a calm cheerfulness, a smile here and a low laugh there. Maybe a light joke and a reassuring squeeze of a shoulder. The little things tend to matter the most in times like these, and Kiriel is a master of those little things. Alongside Sev and his rock-steady command Kiriel works to bring the men back into focus. Slowly the crew begins to regain their previous cheer. It's not that they've forgotten Jenkins, it's more that their grief has run it's course and they are poised to move forward.

And then they spot land.

It's Nihlus. This barely heard of, and only then in rumors of the worst kind, land. This place where only cold and death roam the countryside. This land that is so remote that literally none of the crew, seasoned sailors all, have ever laid eyes on it. Nor do any of them know first hand anyone who ever has. And the morale of the crew that had just begun to rebuild after losing one of their own, plunges back into blackness. Only this time it's the blackness of fear. Fear of the unknown.

Kiriel knows that she simply doesn't have the time to help them through this crisis. So instead she leads by example and faces that fear steadily and without hesitation. Raven black hair whips in the wind as she stands on the bow of the ship, ready to be the first into the teeth of this place of mystery and despair.
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 03:05 PM
We're All Mad Here
Iron DM 2012  

Hall of Fame 2014

Tools
User Statistics
The May Bree coasted through the placid waters towards their destination. In their earlier discussions, Don had named the port Slint. Past that, he had little-to-no knowledge on it. He had taken a different route south, and that left any other facts regarding the little known village vague and incomplete. Once they stepped foot on shore, they were truly at the mercy of Nihlus; an uncomfortable thought at best.

Little of Slint was visible, for the sun had set as they plied the frigid waters towards the port. Torch light outlined the general shape of the town, but details beyond that were shrouded in darkness. An oblong shape was framed by a wooden staked wall about the outskirts of town, broken up occasionally by guard tower. Each of these towers held a lookout, clearly visible within the torchlight. Of the buildings they could see, it was clear wealth had not graced this area of the world. Wooden walls, thatch roofs, and frames bowed under the considerable weight of the snow piled on each comprised the many ramshackle abodes of Slint. A few stood taller than others, but by and large, the town was unremarkable.

Overhead, a nearly full moon did it's best to push away the cloak of darkness night brought to the land, but the gloom seemed to cling to every nook and cranny with an unnatural zeal.

A few other boats were moored in the sparse docks. Small fishing craft one and all, the May Bree stood out like an ogre at a gnomish festival. Making an educated guess of the bay's deepest waters, Sev guided the craft towards a likely mooring. Even as the crew tossed lines and secured the May Bree in place, a large mean wearing a massive white bear skin approached them bearing a torch. Black of hair and beard, the monstrous man stood watching the sailors tying down knots, seeming to gauge whether or not this new arrival presented a threat to his town.

"Hail strangers! Rare is the vessel that plies these remote waters. Rarer is the fool that does it at night! If you're of an agreeable nature, you will find welcome here. If not, you'll find more trouble than any man would wish upon his worst enemy."

The hulking man crossed his arms, awaiting a reply to determine his opinion of the May Bree's nature.

Boredom was taking it's toll. It was one thing to be safe from harm, and another to be smothered by that safety. Maeven had been keeping a low profile in Skinner's Inn, and the lack of excitement was really wearing on her.

True, Slint had its charms. For one, no one had so much approached her about... well, anything. This was a tough, dour crowd that respected the space of someone clearly not looking to be sociable. Second, the few random myths and legends she had drudged up about some sort of hidden library in the region seemed to hold more than a small ring of truth.

Of course, judging by the skins of the various animals she had seen hanging in the market, exploring on her own was clearly not an option at this point. It didn't take an advanced knowledge of nature to determine what the claws and teeth still attached to those skins were for. Some of them had been the length of her fore arm!

A glint off the bay outside her window interrupted her musings. A ship. No ordinary local vessel, this was a civilized craft, and civilization was in short demand in this part of the world.

As she watched, lightly sipping her wine, the boat was secured, and the town's harbor master approached. She was amused to see the stares of the crew as the beast of a man approached them. What had his name been? Ah yes, Hragar.

A tingle of excitement lit through her very practiced mask of ice, though one would have had to look very closely to see it. This meant a change was coming, and maybe she could play it to her advantage...

OoCAlright. #CruiseControl. Athena, I know you don't like liberties, but I had to a bit to get ya set up. Let me know if any of that rubbed ya the wrong way.

I'll make timely replies for Hragar if need be. If ya'll need any clarifications on the town, let me know. Try not to take too many liberties, as I have a very specific atmosphere planned for it.

Last edited by Toba; Jan 3rd, 2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 08:14 AM
yvan eht nioj

Tools
User Statistics
Sev cursed his brash decision to place siege weapons on her deck. His normal lie about being trappers and merchants would be harder to be convincing. Sev had learned long ago you never told the local population that you were here to pillage their legends, rape their myths, and loot their history of anything of value. Sev had talked with Hiracin about the Entombed and their origins, if this Vampire Lords already knew they were here, then so be it. But Sev wasn't about to advertise that a ship full of the South's greatest Champions headed by a man with a serious revenge drive just showed up on his doorstep.

"You the harbour master?" Sev responded while walking off his ship. "I am Emisarry John Dorain" It was better than John Doe but served the same purpose. "We are here from the land of Eire seeking wild creatures to bring back to our King." It wasn't his best lie, but it would allow him to explain things better if questions were asked. "Her Highness, the Princess Aoife, travels with us to see these creatures first hand, per her own request." Sev was going to have fun with this atleast. Introducing the "Princess" Sev pointed to Ki. He figured she'd be up for it. "May I also introduce Eire's greatest Hunter, Setanta of the Woods," he said pointing to Hiracin. "Her majesties Handmaiden, Fionna," pointing to Jenna, "and her royal bodyguards, Nuada and Lugh," pointing to Zaeed and Don respectively. "Where may we dine and rest tonight? We shall need your finest rooms and best meals. The Captian," Sev pointed to Firstmate Duncan, "shall take care of any mooring fees."

The crew was smart enough to play along, but how would the others react?

Last edited by irishking7777; Jan 7th, 2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Lanthanoid

Tools
User Statistics
Handmaiden!? Fionna!? Oh, I hope Sev knows what he's doing. I can keep a lie going as well as anyone, but they have a way of becoming transparent the longer people try to make them last. And Sev must be getting me back for flying up to the crow's nest, because I couldn't look less like a handmaiden. This last bit was true anyway. Jenna, bundled up in her cold-weather gear and with her crystal mask firmly in place and distorting her features nicely, barely even looked female. The few stray blonde hairs protruding from her hood were really the only potential clue of any femininity.

Jenna briefly considered calling Sev out on his lie, figuring she could always wipe the harbor master's memory of the last five minutes, but quickly decided against it. If there was anything even remotely resembling a "finest room" or a "best meal" in Slint, they might as well enjoy it for the evening. There were unlikely to be any such things once they left town. Thus, she remained silent. The so-called Emissary Dorain and Princess Aoife could do all the talking. I'll play handmaiden, whatever it is that they do, for a day. But I'm not putting on my good dress on in this cold weather.

Last edited by Ytterbium; Jan 4th, 2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 12:30 PM
The Midnight Fairy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 42462
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
The young woman who sits alone, watching the goings-on outside the window, stands out from the crowd in a few ways, some more subtle than others. Most noticeable, perhaps, is the tall redwood staff she holds in one hand even as she relaxes with her glass. Runes of copper are set from head to foot with tiny rubies and garnets laid in intricate designs around them, and when the light shines on them just right, they almost seem to glow from within. Next perhaps is that she is clad in a finely made coat of a deep warm brown suede that reaches from a generous hood pulled loose over her head, down to her very feet, fastened with carved ivory buttons. At neck, collar, hood, and hem, a fine off-white fur promises warmth. From the waist up, the coat is fitted tightly to a dainty womanly form. From the waist down, it swells into a petticoat-stuffed bell. Peeking from the part in the front caused by her cross-legged seatment is the pale yellow silk of a fashionable skirt, with a touch of brighter color in a delicate azure velvet bow adorning the hem. Delicate bluish-silver chains wrap around petite boots that match the overcoat. Matching also are the slender gloves that encase her hands, with glints of similar metal peeking out from under all the fur at her wrists. The hand that holds the staff also sports a greenish-yellow bracelet in the finely detailed shape of a tiny snake curled in on itself, and the other hand displays a ring with a rather large sapphire of striking clarity emphasized by a thin perimeter of tiny diamonds. Triangular earrings of matching stones are set off against a few artistically placed golden babydoll curls allowed to tumble free from the hood around a heart-shaped face, large enough to draw attention but small enough not to outshine the crafty eyes whose blue they draw out. Nose and chin are small and dainty, and to a lesser degree so are the lips, though they have a soft plumpness and seem drawn in a permanent pout.

Maeven's loose grip on the staff tightens, and she leans forward, about to rise, but then she abandons the notion. As interesting as these new arrivals were, it simply wouldn't do to go rushing out into the cold(er) to interrogate them. One must never appear too eager, after all. It made one seem weak; pathetic, even. And that she was not and would never deign to appear to be so. She leans back in her seat, taking another sip of the wine that was surprisingly not too horrible for such a barbaric place, and watched. After all, it very likely would only be a short time before they came inside to her, after all. There was surely no need to leave the relative comfort of the building to greet them.

She certainly hoped that they were here to make life interesting, any way. It already felt like she had been in this frozen hell forever, but intuition told her that he wouldn't have given up looking for her yet. She would simply go mad if she didn't get something to do soon, and locals were simply no fun at all. Such pure practicality was perhaps a necessity in such a horrible place (and for a brief moment, she pitied them) but it really left very little for playing with. ... And then the thought comes... What if they are sent by him? She frowns, deeply. It wasn't impossible, though she would have hoped it would take him far longer to trace her, but it was unlikely. She peers again, trying to see if he is among them. No, not from what she can see, and he wouldn't be hanging back on the ship if he were there. No, if they worked for him, it was in his stead. She relaxes again. Simple enough, then. If they tried to bring her back to him, she'd shake them off in the snow somewhere. If they didn't, perhaps would be able to convince them to accompany her in search of this library. Either way, she'd finally have some entertainment.

Last edited by Humble Athena; Jan 5th, 2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Big Muscles

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36965
TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck
Oh a Princess is it? This could be fun... Kiriel puts on her most disdainful look as she approaches the gangplank, taking the cover offered by the ship's rail to Conceal Spellcasting, Sleight of Hand check.
Dice Roll:
d20+10 (10)+10 Total = 20
Opposed by his spot check if he feels the need to make one. Casting Glibness.
surreptitiously cast a spell. She sweeps down the plank in her most imperious manner, taking in and dismissing the harbor master with a single withering glance. "Is this really where we'll be staying tonight? It looks like we'll be lucky to get fresh rushes for our beds here." A judging eye passes over the rough looking town. "I swear Johnny, if I get lice from this place I'm going to have you strung up when we get back to Eire." A mischievous eye turns to Sev, "Or maybe I'll have to get more creative with your punishment. Perhaps a month of sleeping with Setanta's mutt. There's no better way to get fleas than to spend a minute with that disgusting beast."

"Good day, Harbormaster." Kiriel/Princess Aoife says as she sweeps by the man and into the town. "Johnny, have those two loafers who are supposed to be 'protecting' me bring my stuff. And tell them to hurry, I wish to be inside and warming my feet by a blazing fire as quickly as possible." The sword strapped to her hip and mithril armor caressing her shape indicate that she is more than capable of protecting herself, and her attitude shows what she thinks of needing the protection. "My father forced me to bring them along, they might as well make themselves useful," she tosses back over her shoulder as she strides the streets of Slint.

OOCThis is what Kiriel looks like as Princess Aiofe.
Dice Bluff:
d20+41 (17)+41 Total = 58
Bluff Check.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 12:23 PM
yvan eht nioj

Tools
User Statistics
Kiriel played her roll so well, that Sev was convinced that she had, at the very least, been a courtier at some point. Hiracin, on the other hand, seemed to still be grasping at the idea of it all. Sev probably could have done everone a solid and had a meeting before hand to give everyone the heads up, but that would have required him to come up with the idea before hand. 'All he has to do is be himself, just less sombre, and more nature... so not himself.' Deciding that speed would be a key ingredient here, Sev took the reigns. If the Harbour Master was over burdened with information, his mind would be forced to play along whether he knew what was going on or not.

"Y-y-yes, your Highness," He answered Ki, pretending to be worried. Sev
Dice Slight of Hand to hide it:
d20+12 (17)+12 Total = 29
Dice Bluff to give it:
d20+15 (15)+15 Total = 30
sneakily motioned for Jenna (Fionna) to follow Ki (Princess Aoife). "Nuada, Lugh," Sev looked to Zaeed and Don, "Gather her things." Sev didn't know of Don's ability to play along, but at least he knew that Zaeed could just be himself. With enough war stories to put some bards to shame, Sev knew he'd be fine.

The crew knew to deliver the rest of everyone's the kit once lodging had been found. Sev started to walk off to follow the women, but remembered he was in converstation with the Harbour Master.

"Ah, yes! Lodging. Can you have someone show us to it?"

Last edited by irishking7777; Jan 7th, 2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 12:43 PM
We're All Mad Here
Iron DM 2012  

Hall of Fame 2014

Tools
User Statistics
Hragar had dealt with swindlers, pirates and thieves his entire career. This troope had the smell of all three. However, he couldn't find a loop in their story, nor did he really care to. Whatever brought visitors to Nihlus was rarely something they were willing to speak about, and Slint was a town used to this. It didn't matter the why, or more importantly, the who, that was involved. Only that they not disturb those that had chosen to call this place home.

He spit on the dock as the man scrambled away to do his Princess's bidding. He called up at the man he'd indicated as Captian.

"I don't care if you're a dancing troop of fairy monkeys. 5g is the docking fees, which let ya leave the vessel as long as you like. Another 5g if you plan on venturing outside of Slint's walls, because you likely won't be coming back and we'll have the inconvenience of a boat no longer owned by the living."

He spit again, this time turning his direction towards Kireal. "In case it ain't clear, I don't care if you're a princess, queen, or goddess, and neither will anyone else. Keep your business yours, and the business of others theirs, and you'll find Slint quite welcoming. You'll find the only lodging and food at Skinner's Inn, just up the street through the market."

As Duncan tossed down the 10g in a pouch, Hragar caught it deftly and pocketed it. He spit once more, then added, "The name's Hragar. You can find me in the house up on the hill over looking the harbor," he gestured to a home just up the hill from the docks, that had a good view of the entire bay. "Otherwise, I'd suggest you hunker down. Tonight's the last night before the Blood Moon. You don't wanna be about during that."

Considering the conversation complete, Hragar turned and strode back towards his abode, leaving the group on their own to unload whatever they needed and have a look about the town.

OoCIf I left anything uncertain, let me know. Otherwise, try to avoid taking as many liberties with Slint as I allowed in Evermere. I have lots of details planned for it.

Last edited by Toba; Jan 7th, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Ready for Battle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15243
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
Hiracin was taken off guard that they were going to pretend to be something they weren't, but he secretly shook his head. Still, he was happy with the change of pace. Finally, I get to stop pretending to be a king, and I can just be myself. The Hunter - though he had already forgotten his name.Luckily he had come onto the deck in his armor, so he was a decent match for the harbourmaster in his furs; swathed from head to toe in owl feathers, he neither spoke, though he acknowledged the man below. Luna played her part perfectly, sitting next to him, not wagging her tail or grinning: she also wore her armor. As Sev and Ki played pretend (though Ki seemed to do better at her role than Sev, Hiracin gauged) Hiracin shrugged on his pack with his quiver on top. His bow was magically stored within the quiver, but the two weapons - axe and kukri - hung on his waist, visible to the harbourmaster and anyone else who cared to look. His newest addition was the boots the undead had worn. They were were well-worn, but a happy addition: magical, Ki had said.

Hiracin waited for Don and Zaeed to sweep down the gangplank, hauling the luggage of their "princess". Or is she supposed to be a Queen? I'll have to ask Sev later. Don seemed to be going along with it. Jenna descended next, and her name was the only one that stuck, for whatever reason. Shieldmaiden, after you. Hiracin only nodded at the gangplank, as Ki swept Sev and the other two into the town. Hiracin thought he saw Jenna smile slightly, but it was dark, so he couldn't be sure.

If Sev was hoping to get better service, he had failed, as the Habourmaster took his leave after being tossed his payment and recommended the common inn to stay at. Good to see my money is going to use. Hiracin looked to Duncan - the man had sunk into his role as easily as a second trip. [b]Enjoyed the voyage, Captain. If the Princess didn't want me, I'd stay aboard with the crew. The... Emisarry's presence - I'm unused to such posturing.[b] Hiracin sighed, then turned and followed Jenna down the gangplank. Now that the Harbourmaster was out of earsight, Hiracin didn't bother to disguise Luna's name. Sev should've known better than to change her name - or did he? Still, she won't respond to anything else.

Luna, come. Hiracin dropped his voice. Stay close, no matter what. Content that he could at last be himself, the socially awkward hunter went down the gangplank and into the town of Slint. He took up the end of the tail end of their little group, Luna trotting at his side. By the time they had reached the inn, the Hunter and Shieldmaiden had caught up.