Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > D20 Modern > A new dawn of magic
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 07-25-2014, 09:23 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2685
TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic
In all seriousness I'm trying not to plan too much about what magic I'd be taking till we actually reach the point where magic is introduced.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:30 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1380
JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor
I'm not trying to plan what magic I've got either. All I know is that I want him to be versatile and powerful. Sorta plays along the trope of "Untapped Potential".

On a separate note: shall we cement how we all know each other now?
Old 07-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26157
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Thank you for the informations guy. I will wait to the DM to answer my few questions and for now I will observe
Old 07-25-2014, 09:43 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic
With Michael's 'brilliant but idle' theme unless some danger is tied to their experiences of magic, and while I'd enjoy just roleplaying being a teenager who suddenly got magic and the shenanigans that went with it, I suspect there may be more to the campaign, he'd probably pick up some 'fun' spells. I mean Reduce person could revolutionise Hide and Seek , even if he's outgrown the game himself he'd probably cast it on a few young cousins or something so they can play. Disguise self and Alter Self would probably get on his list too. Of course, while he doesn't care about academia, he does care about learning, so he might try for Cure Light Wounds, Unseen Servant or other utilities too.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:46 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
As for knowing each other, I'm getting the feeling that we probably all know each other from science class. Michael and Ginny are Lab partners at least.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:58 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor
I wonder how Michael and Rohit would know each other. Any thoughts on that?
Old 07-25-2014, 09:58 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26157
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Quote:
Cure Light Wounds, Unseen Servant or other utilities too.
Could one class in d20 Modern do cure light wound AND arcane spells ?
Old 07-25-2014, 10:08 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Well, there is the Mage and the Acolyte. Mage is the arcanist, and Acolyte is the healer/divine. So, he could multiclass. *shrugs*

Of course, then there is always the thought that the GM isn't really using the rules straight from the books, and is just going to grant spells once we've had a decent amount of exposure to them or have been trained in how to use them. So, who knows?
Old 07-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRazor View Post
I wonder how Michael and Rohit would know each other. Any thoughts on that?
I'm thinking they probably know each other through gaming (which throws a real meta- curve ball into the whole concept)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonZar View Post
Could one class in d20 Modern do cure light wound AND arcane spells ?
Not one class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRazor View Post
Well, there is the Mage and the Acolyte. Mage is the arcanist, and Acolyte is the healer/divine. So, he could multiclass. *shrugs*

Of course, then there is always the thought that the GM isn't really using the rules straight from the books, and is just going to grant spells once we've had a decent amount of exposure to them or have been trained in how to use them. So, who knows?
Indeed
Old 07-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Blue lantern 2814

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 217
Caleb darkfire Caleb darkfire Caleb darkfire
I'm willing to let people get spells that normally wouldn't be on their class spell list if it fits the character's personality. The thought of using reduce person in hide and seek is brilliant though it probably won't come up much. You should be able to get along fine with a muscle character, and not having magic could lead to interesting roleplaying opportunities. Urban arcana appears to be fine.
I can do all things through Christ who strengths me. Philippians 4:13
Old 07-25-2014, 11:32 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
You know, now I'm wondering whether to pick up Wild Talent or Magical Heritage... Not sure which one is best. Both have access to the effect I want, but WT only gives you one psionic FX while MH gives you three arcane FX. Thoughts?
Old 07-25-2014, 01:13 PM
Blue lantern 2814

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 217
Caleb darkfire Caleb darkfire Caleb darkfire
I'd generally prefer non-psionic sense I know it better, but its up to you.
I can do all things through Christ who strengths me. Philippians 4:13
Old 07-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Hypochondriac
This is my first game in years almost a decade. I forgot most of the stuff so am just winging it. I don't have a full plan in mind, but that sutis the procrastinator trait my character has

Last edited by Hypochondriac; 07-25-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:47 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
It's a tough pick. If we look at Far Hand/Mage Hand (the clearest of the comparisons), they're pretty much the same effect. Only, Far Hand is psionic, and thus has no ACF, and only a Visible manifestation. Mage Hand has ACF, is pretty much invisible, and requires the user to speak and gesture... Far Hand appears the superior, but if I settle for the arcane, I could pick three cantrips, meaning access to the almighty Prestidigitation... difficult to choose between the two options.

But if the GM prefers non-psionic...
Old 08-01-2014, 09:08 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Hypochondriac
Can someone take a look at my character sheet in the other thread and offer advice? I know I need languages, but wondering what skills to give myself